[Q] HELP! Camera Error on all ROMS I've tried! Proposing to Girlfriend this weekend!

Search This thread

riazrahman

Apr 20, 2007
Hi guys, I'm freaking out!

I'm proposing to my girlfriend this weekend and the PacMan ROM I was using (4.4.2 I believe) was lagging/running out of storage, so I decided to flash to the newest 4.4.4 ROM I could find. I wanted to make sure my phone was in tip top shape for the big weekend. I booted into TWRP and took the normal steps to flash (wipe ROM,dalvik,cache) but this time I also decided to delete internal storage because I was running out previously and just kind of wanted a fresh start. I decided to try the MerkMod ROM (4.4.4) w/PA 4.4.4 micro GApps, and everything worked great (fast, no reboots) after flashing....until I tried the camera maybe a day later. I got the 'Can't connect to Camera' error, and freaked out immediately because I need to snap some selfies of the big moment this weekend! I then tried deleting the camera thru Titanium Backup and flashing PA's Google Camera module, which didn't work either.

So then I went through all of the steps to go to ND8 stock from MerkMod as outlined by CNexus in this thread. I also switched to Philz recovery. Unfortunately, the camera would also freeze up/not start on the stock ND8 ROM as well (no explicit 'cant connect to camera error' but the screen was all black and the phone froze up). TW + samsung bloat was literally about to make me throw up, so then I decided to try SlimKat 4.4.4 w/Slim GApps, and I'm still getting the camera error. I deleted the Camera2.apk in SlimSettings and downloaded Google Camera, and that didn't work either.

I have no idea what happened! I don't think there was any physical/water damage to the phone, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. Should I try to go back to an older version of the stock ROM? Did this happen because I deleted my internal storage, or used PA Gapps (I've read that both might have contributed)? If so, how do I fix this!? PLEASE HELP!

Higgs_Boson

Jul 7, 2012

I'm proposing to my girlfriend this weekend and the PacMan ROM I was using (4.4.2 I believe) was lagging/running out of storage, so I decided to flash to the newest 4.4.4 ROM I could find. I wanted to make sure my phone was in tip top shape for the big weekend. I booted into TWRP and took the normal steps to flash (wipe ROM,dalvik,cache) but this time I also decided to delete internal storage because I was running out previously and just kind of wanted a fresh start. I decided to try the MerkMod ROM (4.4.4) w/PA 4.4.4 micro GApps, and everything worked great (fast, no reboots) after flashing....until I tried the camera maybe a day later. I got the 'Can't connect to Camera' error, and freaked out immediately because I need to snap some selfies of the big moment this weekend! I then tried deleting the camera thru Titanium Backup and flashing PA's Google Camera module, which didn't work either.

So then I went through all of the steps to go to ND8 stock from MerkMod as outlined by CNexus in this thread. I also switched to Philz recovery. Unfortunately, the camera would also freeze up/not start on the stock ND8 ROM as well (no explicit 'cant connect to camera error' but the screen was all black and the phone froze up). TW + samsung bloat was literally about to make me throw up, so then I decided to try SlimKat 4.4.4 w/Slim GApps, and I'm still getting the camera error. I deleted the Camera2.apk in SlimSettings and downloaded Google Camera, and that didn't work either.

I have no idea what happened! I don't think there was any physical/water damage to the phone, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. Should I try to go back to an older version of the stock ROM? Did this happen because I deleted my internal storage, or used PA Gapps (I've read that both might have contributed)? If so, how do I fix this!? PLEASE HELP!

Right now, I think the best first step for you would be to try flashing the ROM and GAPPs package with a different recovery.

https://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/d2lte/

Navigate to the above link and download the latest zip (not md5) file to flash in your current recovery. Your current recovery will simply flash the zip file and overwrite your current recovery with PhilZ.

I personally can't see a GAPPs package causing that sort of issue, as it is not replacing code, changing libraries, or messing with the kernel. The GAPPs package is simply flashing system apps to the /system folder of the Android OS. Additionally, I use the PA GAPPs package when I flash CM11 nightlies.

A recovery can make all the difference of making sure that the correct files are being flashed to the correct areas and I, personally, find PhilZ to be the most bug-free and user-friendly.

When you boot into PhilZ, make sure you have all the files that you intend to flash on your device.

In PhilZ, the Wipe Data/Factory Reset option actually has an option to wipe the device to install a new ROM. Use that option

Install your ROM of choice and your GAPPs package. Reboot and see what happens.

Also, just had a passing thought: Did you flash a custom kernel? Did you not make a backup of your last working setup?

Last edited:
Reactions: riazrahman

riazrahman

Apr 20, 2007
Right now, I think the best first step for you would be to try flashing the ROM and GAPPs package with a different recovery.

Navigate to the above link and download the latest zip (not md5) file to flash in your current recovery. Your current recovery will simply flash the zip file and overwrite your current recovery with PhilZ.

I personally can't see a GAPPs package causing that sort of issue, as it is not replacing code, changing libraries, or messing with the kernel. The GAPPs package is simply flashing system apps to the /system folder of the Android OS. Additionally, I use the PA GAPPs package when I flash CM11 nightlies.

A recovery can make all the difference of making sure that the correct files are being flashed to the correct areas and I, personally, find PhilZ to be the most bug-free and user-friendly.

When you boot into PhilZ, make sure you have all the files that you intend to flash on your device.

In PhilZ, the Wipe Data/Factory Reset option actually has an option to wipe the device to install a new ROM. Use that option

Also, just had a passing thought: Did you flash a custom kernel? Did you not make a backup of your last working setup?

Thanks for your prompt and detailed reply! I did switch to Philz recovery after Odining to ND8, but I'll try again using the link you provided. Unfortunately I never made a backup, my mistake. I never explicitly tried a custom kernel, could my initial flash to MerkMod have changed the kernel?

Higgs_Boson

Jul 7, 2012
Thanks for your prompt and detailed reply! I did switch to Philz recovery after Odining to ND8, but I'll try again using the link you provided. Unfortunately I never made a backup, my mistake. I never explicitly tried a custom kernel, could my initial flash to MerkMod have changed the kernel?
Sorry. After re-reading your post, I do see where you mentioned switching to PhilZ. However, please make sure that you have the latest version of PhilZ (which can be found at the link I previously provided).

After reading up on MerkMod, I have no reason to believe that ROM to be the cause of your issues. It is OMNI ROM-based and I have run OMNI ROM on my device without any issues. I, personally, use CM11 as my daily driver. But, as long as you are using the latest PhilZ recovery and flashing D2LTE ROMs to your device, there should be no issue. Also, make sure the GAPPs package you are using matches the Android version of the ROM you are flashing (e.g. 4.4.4 GAPPs --> 4.4.4 ROM)

If you download the .MD5 version of PhilZ, you can flash that via ODIN. Good luck to you.

Also, forgot to mention it in my previous post, but congratulations in advance on your engagement!

riazrahman

Apr 20, 2007
I don't think there's much to help here with. You said you odined to stock ND8 and still had the error. At that point, it definitely sounds hardware related and I would say that something is wrong with the device itself.

Ah that's what I was afraid of :crying: I reflashed Philz and installed CM11 nightly with PA micro gapps 4.4.4 and am still getting the same issue. I did read a thread that mentioned something that Gummy ROM was the only one to work for someone in a similar situation, so I may try that. Then I think I'll try Odin to ND8 one more time just in case, and then just give up. I guess I can try to borrow a digital camera from a friend. I do still have a TEP plan with sprint so maybe they can replace the camera module at my local store without me having to pay the ridiculous $100 deductible.

One last thing, if this was kernel related, what's a good kernel for me to try?

Thank you both for your time and insight.

Higgs_Boson

Jul 7, 2012
Ah that's what I was afraid of :crying: I reflashed Philz and installed CM11 nightly with PA micro gapps 4.4.4 and am still getting the same issue. I did read a thread that mentioned something that Gummy ROM was the only one to work for someone in a similar situation, so I may try that. Then I think I'll try Odin to ND8 one more time just in case, and then just give up. I guess I can try to borrow a digital camera from a friend. I do still have a TEP plan with sprint so maybe they can replace the camera module at my local store without me having to pay the ridiculous $100 deductible.

Not likely that it's kernel related if the standard kernel with CM11 didn't work. You can always try the DKP kernel, which I use, found here in the Sprint S3 development forum.

riazrahman

Apr 20, 2007
Not likely that it's kernel related if the standard kernel with CM11 didn't work. You can always try the DKP kernel, which I use, found here in the Sprint S3 development forum.

Ah understood, well I just tried GummyROM and Odined to ND8 again and still no dice, so I gave up on blaming the kernel. I just don't get it...if it's a hardware issue would both of my cameras go out? Shouldn't I still be able to access the front camera if theres a short or something in my rear camera? I feel like my phone just doesn't know theres cameras attached to it because I deleted something I shouldn't have while flashing the first time around.

One last question before I try the Sprint store tomorrow...while I was using Odin I saw the re-partition option. Now I know I shouldn't touch that unless I have a .pit file, so I left it unchecked this time. However, if I did track down a pit file, could repartitioning potentially solve this issue?

Higgs_Boson

Jul 7, 2012
Ah understood, well I just tried GummyROM and Odined to ND8 again and still no dice, so I gave up on blaming the kernel. I just don't get it...if it's a hardware issue would both of my cameras go out? Shouldn't I still be able to access the front camera if theres a short or something in my rear camera? I feel like my phone just doesn't know theres cameras attached to it because I deleted something I shouldn't have while flashing the first time around.

One last question before I try the Sprint store tomorrow...while I was using Odin I saw the re-partition option. Now I know I shouldn't touch that unless I have a .pit file, so I left it unchecked this time. However, if I did track down a pit file, could repartitioning potentially solve this issue?

The only thing that repartitioning will do is restore the memory partitions in your phone in the event that one of the partitions became corrupted.

This is essentially what a PIT would be restoring:

Code:
sprint # cat parted.txt
cat parted.txt
Model: MMC MAG4FB (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 30777344s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start      End        Size       File system  Name      Flags
 1      8192s      131071s    122880s                 modem
 2      131072s    131327s    256s                    sbl1
 3      131328s    131839s    512s                    sbl2
 4      131840s    132863s    1024s                   sbl3
 5      132864s    136959s    4096s                   aboot
 6      136960s    137983s    1024s                   rpm
 7      137984s    158463s    20480s                  boot
 8      158464s    159487s    1024s                   tz
 9      159488s    160511s    1024s                   pad
10      160512s    180991s    20480s                  param
11      180992s    208895s    27904s     ext4         efs
12      208896s    215039s    6144s                   modemst1
13      215040s    221183s    6144s                   modemst2
14      221184s    3293183s   3072000s   ext4         system
15      3293184s   28958719s  25665536s  ext4         userdata
16      28958720s  28975103s  16384s     ext4         persist
17      28975104s  30695423s  1720320s   ext4         cache
18      30695424s  30715903s  20480s                  recovery
19      30715904s  30736383s  20480s                  fota
20      30736384s  30748671s  12288s                  backup
21      30748672s  30754815s  6144s                   fsg
22      30754816s  30754831s  16s                     ssd
23      30754832s  30765071s  10240s                  grow
Info credit: http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...ameleon-some-efs-imei-info-brick-backups.html

Hence, I have no reason to believe this would help you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't think there's much to help here with. You said you odined to stock ND8 and still had the error. At that point, it definitely sounds hardware related and I would say that something is wrong with the device itself.

The only thing that repartitioning will do is restore the memory partitions in your phone in the event that one of the partitions became corrupted.

This is essentially what a PIT would be restoring:

Code:
    sprint # cat parted.txt
    cat parted.txt
    Model: MMC MAG4FB (sd/mmc)
    Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 30777344s
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start      End        Size       File system  Name      Flags
     1      8192s      131071s    122880s                 modem
     2      131072s    131327s    256s                    sbl1
     3      131328s    131839s    512s                    sbl2
     4      131840s    132863s    1024s                   sbl3
     5      132864s    136959s    4096s                   aboot
     6      136960s    137983s    1024s                   rpm
     7      137984s    158463s    20480s                  boot
     8      158464s    159487s    1024s                   tz
     9      159488s    160511s    1024s                   pad
    10      160512s    180991s    20480s                  param
    11      180992s    208895s    27904s     ext4         efs
    12      208896s    215039s    6144s                   modemst1
    13      215040s    221183s    6144s                   modemst2
    14      221184s    3293183s   3072000s   ext4         system
    15      3293184s   28958719s  25665536s  ext4         userdata
    16      28958720s  28975103s  16384s     ext4         persist
    17      28975104s  30695423s  1720320s   ext4         cache
    18      30695424s  30715903s  20480s                  recovery
    19      30715904s  30736383s  20480s                  fota
    20      30736384s  30748671s  12288s                  backup
    21      30748672s  30754815s  6144s                   fsg
    22      30754816s  30754831s  16s                     ssd
    23      30754832s  30765071s  10240s                  grow
    Info credit: http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...ameleon-some-efs-imei-info-brick-backups.html

Hence, I have no reason to believe this would help you.

Sorry. After re-reading your post, I do see where you mentioned switching to PhilZ. However, please make sure that you have the latest version of PhilZ (which can be found at the link I previously provided).

After reading up on MerkMod, I have no reason to believe that ROM to be the cause of your issues. It is OMNI ROM-based and I have run OMNI ROM on my device without any issues. I, personally, use CM11 as my daily driver. But, as long as you are using the latest PhilZ recovery and flashing D2LTE ROMs to your device, there should be no issue. Also, make sure the GAPPs package you are using matches the Android version of the ROM you are flashing (e.g. 4.4.4 GAPPs --> 4.4.4 ROM)

If you download the .MD5 version of PhilZ, you can flash that via ODIN. Good luck to you.

Also, forgot to mention it in my previous post, but congratulations in advance on your engagement!