Desire Z/Vision/G2 - Successor

Search This thread

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
I was just about to mention that. Remap the Genius button into Search, flash one of undeadk9's "Sense lite" ROMs (posted on RootzWiki), flash unity's overclock kernel, buy an Anker 1900mAh battery or two, and this phone is a BEAST.

Sent via smoke signal.

I really like your signature. How can I make mine just like it?

kaijura

Jan 1, 2011
HTC's motto in 2010 and 2011 was an obvious Quantity over Quality. Recently they were advised and responded saying for 2012 they will go back for Quality once again.

The whole reason I suspect why manufacturer's have been dropping QWERTY's is slacking, due to cost vs manufacturing other phones. I reckon making a HTC Desire HD/Inspire 4G, Incredible S, Rezound, etc all touch-based phones require less materials and time involved. So I can see someone in their shareholder board, thinking "Why make a QWERTY when our touch phones are selling well? We'll just force them to have to select one and they'll stop complaining." And then they'll end up making another QWERTY once everyone is tired of touchphones and wants something new. It's all a money grab game, IMO.

CES 2012 is coming in a week. Most of us have been waiting since 2010, so I imagine another week is chump change. Hopefully there'll be something new announced at the show, but I remember HTC saying something like they will unveil the new products at MWC 2012.

I imagine the next keyboard device will be another Motorola Droid before someone else makes something.

Plus, even though I'm in the US, the MT4GS have literally 5 pages in the development section and has little dev support. All this is starting to get me worried!
Hate to say it, but I told ya so in the other thread the other week. :p

anjin75

Sep 20, 2011
I'd like some more power and specially more ram. No more than 4" of screen. Naturally more battery life, also if I have to pay it with no reduction in weight.
Until here all normal I think. Then I really like to see:
1) USB host (really usefull for usb memory)
2) a second slot for memory card, better with hot swap for change the second card without turn off the device.
3) a front camera for skype, etc etc
4) One more line of keys ,and arrows keys, but that without lose the pad.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

yozgatg

Jun 21, 2008
I do believe (and hope) that a DZ successor will be announced at MWC.
If it will, it will be something in the line of the MyTouch 4G slide so:
- dual-core (that's a given)
- front-facing camera (another basic thing)
- improved camera (8MP? with better optics)
- more RAM (1GB)
- a bit thinner

I wouldn't mind a 3.7 inch screen again, though I would like a higher resolution (qHD). The thing is a 3.7 inch + hardware keyboard is good (not too big, not too small), a bigger screen is only neccessary if u don't have the hw keyboard. Also i don't think another row is needed, as long as they keep/improve the Z-hinge that allows easy access to the top row.

HTC if you're reading this, keep the same design language of the DZ and include the specs above, and you will have another happy customer

JasonDude

May 22, 2011
Everybody is talking about specs and memory, but the thing i think is more important is the feel and the design of a qwerty phone. Desire Z has the Z hinge which made it a little bit thinner and more interesting then other qwerty models, and opening the keys made the phone really interesting.

What i would like to see from a DZ successor is a thinner 4.0'' phone without the touch keys and without the trackpad, with excellent spacey island keys (even more comfortable then the DZ) and i would keep and upgrade the Z hinge to be a little more stable and it HAS to be thinner (very important). As a qwerty phone it has to have quality materials at the expense of the weight of the phone and one more think nobody is talking about is the OS for a qwerty.

Every ROM lags a little bit when i open the keys, and nobody is making interesting options in ROMs like auto launching email/messages app when opening the keys, which would be very interesting feature. The whole qwerty thing is a great resource, and i think its not being used to its fullest potential just because stock ROMs for regular touch phones dont offer them.

My 0.2 cents, HTC should f***ing hire me :p

Nonentity018

Oct 22, 2010
Palm Bay
I have been thinking of just making my own phone for a while. Sure, I don't have the skill, but it would probably be better than the crap HTC is pushing out!

I think the droid 4 is a great design and spec model to look at for the G3. Of course since they don't traditionally come out till October/September, I would hope for a quad core processor and about 2gb of ram.

At this point, though, I'm not holding my breath that there will be another flagship qwerty slider from HTC and will probably take the next Nexus device running Jellybean.

bFORTIFIED

Jan 3, 2011
Colorado Springs
I'm not too confident about finding a qwerty phone after I have to retire my DZ either. :(

No me either. I have been using my on screen keyboard to get use to it as I will be upgrading in the next few months. I really want a 4" or bigger phone. Maybe a larger screen helps with virtual keyboard? The thing that drives me nuts is only having a virtual keyboard and one line for typing when using the virtual keyboard

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

speculatrix

Mar 7, 2006
Cambridge
I have a friend with a Moto phone which has a keyboard and he says he doesn't really use the keyboard and it simply adds unnecessary bulk, and he was quite surprised when I said I frequently find my desireZ's keyboard invaluable.

I am hoping that there will be a Milestone 4, a European UMTS variant of the Droid 4. I will happily buy it *IF* Motorola show signs of making an unlockable device and a chance that the community will adopt it, i.e. CM9.

I believe that the ATT Samsung Captivate Glide chould work in the UK on UMTS-2100, the specification suggests it could? The T-Mo 4G MyTouchSlide definitely won't due to T-M's "AWS".

Given the the lack of a recent european-specifcation qwerty phone, a G3, then I am considering the Samsung Galaxy Note. Before I came to Android, I was a Maemo user with Nokia N800, and before then a PalmOs devotee, so a phone with pen input would be a satisfying alternative if it works well. A keyboarded device with pen would be even better!

kaijura

Jan 1, 2011
The next released QWERTY, I'm betting is the Motorola Milestone/Droid 4. Scratch that, it IS going to be the next one, just saw it was announced at CES2012. Motorola has been pretty consistent with the DROID series.

Since the G1/G2 is ultimately T-mobile's choice for manufacturer/device, they might find someone else if HTC doesn't do the third... but I'm betting they will anyways.

sonoma1983

Jul 24, 2011
For the successor to the desire Z/G2, I would like to see a phone that similar in design. Would like for the phone to have more ram and dual core processor in it. And tad bit bigger screen.

acwest

Oct 19, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
They seem to have made the successor already

From what I can tell, the MyTouch 4G Slide is almost exactly what I am looking for in a new improved DZ. Almost the same phone, but with front-facing camera and better CPU. Of course, now I need to find one I can afford, too...

ravi_n

Oct 7, 2010
speculatrix: Like most of T-Mobile's AWS smartphones, the myTouch 4G Slide works perfectly well on UMTS-2100 (I have one and am doing that now, as a matter of fact).

The missing frequency band (e.g. as compared to the Captivate Glide) is UMTS-900, but, based on my experience with T-Mobile's G1, G2 and, now, the myTouch 4G Slide, I'd say that band is a "nice-to-have" not a "must-have".

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

acwest: Keep your eye on TmoNews and some of the other sites that post T-Mobile promotions. They did a free (on-contract) deal on the MT4GS with Best Buy just after Christmas and I'm sure it will come around again at some point.

Reactions: speculatrix

resetrobot

Dec 14, 2010
El Paso
As much as I loved my G1 and my G2 I have found that I never really used the physical keyboard. On T-MO there is no phone I would buy to drop my G2 as of yet. It still runs like a beast :D

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
As much as I loved my G1 and my G2 I have found that I never really used the physical keyboard. On T-MO there is no phone I would buy to drop my G2 as of yet. It still runs like a beast :D

There are a TON of phones you can get if you don't use the keyboard.
So many better slate phones out there than the G2.
QWERTY android phones are getting very rare

ag_lux

Jan 26, 2012
Luxembourg City
As speculatrix , I'm also hoping for the Droid 4 to be released in europe as Milestone 4.
Does any of you know if you still need to install Motorola drivers on a computer first if you want to charge a Motorola Phone over usb?

That was a dealbreaker for me for earlier Milestones.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    QWERTY keyboard phones are unfortunately out of style nowadays.

So says you. Although declining, Blackberries still sell and I refuse to buy anything that does not have a physical QWERTY keyboard.
    At least I'm not the only one that feels a bit lonely out here.
    Android phones are being pumped out by the dozen, but there are very few QWERTY phones in the mix. I could probably count them all on one hand. Everyone uses either a GSM or CDMA network, so your options are halved right there as well

The only quality phones I have seen maybe worth trading my G2 in for, are the MyTouch 4G Slide and the Samsung Captivate Glide.

But they are still fairly new phones with no CM support yet....

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

to me, the only thing that matters is to make the soft buttons as hardware buttons, not the irritating touch

—————
    |RIROZIZO|
    —————

If that's what you want, then the 4G Slide is your only option. It's one of the only phones that still retains hardware keys.

I actually prefer hardware keys as well. But the 4G Slide wasn't out at the time, and I needed a little more horsepower than the 3G Slide I was carrying...
    speculatrix: Like most of T-Mobile's AWS smartphones, the myTouch 4G Slide works perfectly well on UMTS-2100 (I have one and am doing that now, as a matter of fact).

The missing frequency band (e.g. as compared to the Captivate Glide) is UMTS-900, but, based on my experience with T-Mobile's G1, G2 and, now, the myTouch 4G Slide, I'd say that band is a "nice-to-have" not a "must-have".

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

acwest: Keep your eye on TmoNews and some of the other sites that post T-Mobile promotions. They did a free (on-contract) deal on the MT4GS with Best Buy just after Christmas and I'm sure it will come around again at some point.