Hardware Hacking x201 : IP67 Compliance

Would you buy a kit to make your TrueSmart REALLY IP67 compliant?

• Yes, I'd pay $15-25 for a self-installed kit.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • Yes, I'd pay $25-50 for a pro-installed kit.

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • No, $25 is too much.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • No, I'm not interested.

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

fg

Aug 3, 2006
A while back I posted on another thread my experiences with my 1/8 1900 Omate, but it doesn't look like I ever mentioned anything here.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51428377&postcount=11

Another month has gone by and the Omate is still working soundly through rain and showers. I still don't trust the buttons while underwater, maybe I'll get over that some day.

My "sapphire glass" was scratched before I could put a screen protector on it. This has been a greatest dissapointment with the physical manufacturing. I also ran into another Omate backer on the train recently who'd managed to crack the glass over his camera!

lphovercraft

Feb 14, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
In looking at the case and other aspects, if done right you could probably get about 3ATM out of it. Would take an "overhaul" but it could be done.

In looking at the seal on my device (while inserting the SD card) it looked like they had gotten away from the horrifying filament they I had seen earlier. I'd sink another $100 in aftermarket effort into this to get it to 3ATM and be able to use it as a reliable lap counter in the pool. Swim stroke/pattern analysis and HRM data capture would be a bonus, but at this point beggars can't be choosers. I'll write the software myself if I can rely on the device to operate in the environment.

martinbogo1

Mar 26, 2014
After doing a lot of serious experimenting, I have not.for and a practical way to retrofit the TS to IP67 compliance. Even with all the seals retrofitted, silicone sealant applied, and buttons covered with silicone caps, there are serious leaks under movement and pressure from the speaker port and watch strap connections.

This product is not compliant now, nor do I think it will be possible to make it compliant without a complete redesign.

I gave it my best...

-M

trent999

Nov 16, 2013
It looked to me like where the antennas enter the body from the watch straps that the sealant used would do pretty well to prevent leakage. What did you see going on there ? Was movement the main factor in those failure points ?

The speaker grill confuses me. Since the speaker is attached via double-sided tape to the inside of the case (right ?), that means as long as that "seal" doesn't fail any water getting in would have to be through the speaker cone itself ? Is that component waterproof ? Will water coming in unimpeded through the speaker grill destroy the speaker ?

I don't know what can be done about the buttons. I intend to inject silicone up under around them before taking the watch out in the rain then trying to avoid using them. Its a shame they were added to the design.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
(recreated from months back) My purposed band redesign from a discussion with LLP. Would have made repairs more difficult but when used in conjunction with sealant on the grooves would have lead to a far more water resistant band.

Button redesign and a sealed speaker enclosure were also suggested.

@martinbogo1
I understand. The redesign was about the only way I could cover all the bases. Was hoping you saw something that I missed.

Last edited:

lippisteve

Apr 29, 2008
Omate Truesmart not IP67, see why in video...

I would have liked to read before you take a shower with my TS!
She drowned! I completely disassembled to find out why.
I made a little video which clearly gives the reason:
"youtube.com/user/StevesenAcLille/videos"
(It is in French, but the pictures speak for it themselves)
best regards

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Status Update:

I have found four different versions of the TrueSmart watch so far, as far as important considerations for seals/gaskets and kits are concerned.

So far I:

• Tested a silicone lubricant for water proofing the seals
    • Modeled a soft, flexible and wider silicone seal to replace the small O-ring seal on the watch back cover.
    • Button cap covers have been handed to a 3D CAD designing service to make a mold with.
    • Am Investigating how water resistant the speaker grill is, and the audio slot in the watch band.

Assuming there are ~100 people willing to purchase kits, it seems the production of a waterproofing kit is viable. I may have to look into either doing an indigogo or kickstarter though. Ironic that we need ANOTHER kickstarter to repair the watch, but there you go.

-Martin
    So, as we all know the Omate TrueSmart is as waterproof as a leaky boat, or perhaps a sponge.

However, I don't think there are any other Horologists on the forum at the moment. ( wikipedia horologist http:// en.wikipedia.org /wiki/horologist ).

After looking at the "seals" on the case buttons, and the laughable o-ring that Umeox/Omate have chosen to use on the back, along with the piece of silicone flap that they are using to seal the SIM card... I have to say that expecting it to be water resistant to any degree is a bit laughable.

So, I have a solution, the same one used by Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Citizen, Seiko, etc.. etc...

* Liquid silicone sealant gel on the SIM card seal and flap.
    * Replace the silicone o-rings for the watch back with a thin silicone gasket, with more sealant gel
    * Retrofit and replace the button seals, or create black silicone button covers that better seal them

I'm going to have to look at the speaker port on the watchband. I don't know if there is a simple solution there to make it compliant for 1 meter depth without severely affecting the quality of the sound output from that port. A brief examination makes it seem that the port -might- be able to take IP67 conditions .. but without reinforcement, I doubt it could take the forces involved in a swim, waves, wakes, spas.

Still, I think I can put together a kit, and instructions that careful and diligent people could use to retrofit the TrueSmart to make it far more waterproof than the manufacturer does. The kit would cost between $15 and $25 US, mostly to cover the cost of making custom molds for the silicone gaskets. ( There is a local TechShop here in Austin, and I have a CNC mill to make the aluminum molds, and all the design experience and software I need. Even so, a small super-accurate mold is a couple hundred dollars worth of materials and work. )

If there is enough interest evidenced here on a poll, I'll make the kit.

Sincerely,
    Martin Bogomolni
    Maker, Horologist, Coder, and Machinist
    Its too impractical Lokifish. I tried, and its utterly impractical... And I put serious effort and money into the attempt.
    Omate Truesmart not IP67, see why in video...

I would have liked to read before you take a shower with my TS!
    She drowned! I completely disassembled to find out why.
    I made a little video which clearly gives the reason:
    "youtube.com/user/StevesenAcLille/videos"
    (It is in French, but the pictures speak for it themselves)
    best regards
    It's always worth improving what you have!!! One of the reasons that the XDA forums exist is to give new life to android devices that are flawed, past their prime, or whose manufacturers stopped supporting them.

I have CyanogenMod 10.1 running on my HTC One V. That's KITKAT on a One V. With only one problem, native camera support.

This is a tough challenge, for a lot of reasons. I now have measurements on at least four variants (and someone may have found a fifth!)

I have solutions for the following issues now:

* Antenna penetrations to watchband
    * Back case o-ring is too small to be effective
    * Screw "washer/gaskets" are tiny and break apart
    * SIM card flap / screws are leaky

I am still working on a set of very hard problems:

* Speaker grille is open to the air, no seals
    * Watch buttons break easily
    * Watch buttons have no silicone seal

From an engineering standpoint, these are hard things to retrofit if the designer didn't bother to try in the first place. However, I do see evidence on my recently shipped watch that some effort was spent on trying to seal things up. This gives me a bit of hope that I can finish the job right.

--Martin