[Q] Longtime IOS jailbreaker turned Android Noob..so..where do I start?

Search This thread
Mar 16, 2014
Hello all! I'm new to android and have been doing my research on the forums, youtube, google, under rocks, voodoo doctors, you name it. I've been able to grasp some things but many questions remain. phone: AT&T Note 3 on KitKat

1) Since it's not possible to root kitkat without tripping knox, what exactly do you lose in the warranty?
2)Which root method do you suggest if I plan on utilizing all what the custom rom/firmware world has to offer?
3)Is custom recovery meant to assist with the knox issue?
4) Can anyone direct me where to find certain tweaks/roms associated with reversing some of the KitKat bugs? Like the sdcard issue, the sview issue, and anymore important ones?
5)Is there a noob friendly faq on how to download roms on the phone and etc? Possibly a list of definitions?

Any and all links are greatly appreciated. I'm sure after a few weeks I'll be more accustomed to Android and all the ups and downs.
Thanks to all in advance!

X

x102x96x

i

Hello all! I'm new to android and have been doing my research on the forums, youtube, google, under rocks, voodoo doctors, you name it. I've been able to grasp some things but many questions remain. phone: AT&T Note 3 on KitKat

1) Since it's not possible to root kitkat without tripping knox, what exactly do you lose in the warranty?
2)Which root method do you suggest if I plan on utilizing all what the custom rom/firmware world has to offer?
4) Can anyone direct me where to find certain tweaks/roms associated with reversing some of the KitKat bugs? Like the sdcard issue, the sview issue, and anymore important ones?
5)Is there a noob friendly faq on how to download roms on the phone and etc? Possibly a list of definitions?

Any and all links are greatly appreciated. I'm sure after a few weeks I'll be more accustomed to Android and all the ups and downs.

1. technically ur warranty will void.
2. root methoeds, custom rom & etc are depend on users experience u should read users feedback and decide what to do
If i say X root method and Y rom is good it doesn't mean it will good also for u cause there s lots of options and u should search for what u want or need.
3. wht u mean by know issue? if u mean know counter so when u root ur device it will turn to 0x1 (if i remember correctly)
4. - again u should search by urself cause there s always different reports from custom ROMs! go and spend time in dev section
5. If u want official roms sammobile.com collects all of them but for custom ROM there s always download link in their threads & also tutorials.

list of roms
root info (as u can find in this link, cf-root is one of them best root method for galaxy)

:good:

tclocki

May 14, 2013

Congrats on freeing yourself from IOS, and welcome to Android! Anyway, I'd like to ask first, since you're new to android, why would you want to "root" your phone? Unless you've got really good reason, I would suggest that you enjoy first the stock experience and learn the basics first. You can actually do a lot with android without having root access.

celderic

Dec 1, 2010
Upgrade to Kitkat and want to write to storage cards with 3rd party apps...
Theme, run custom roms, debloat stock apps and actually OWN your device....
Did that answer your question?:p:D

Yes i agree..
But for someone that has come from an apple device, i wouldnt bother for a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

tclocki

May 14, 2013
Yes i agree..
But for someone that has come from an apple device, i wouldnt bother for a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Exactly. You dont need root to theme your phone. You dont need root to install some custom roms. We dont want a new user to do things he still dont understand which might lead him to doing an uninformed action on his phone which ultimately might end up ruinning his first android experience. I dont want to see more posts saying android is slow and laggy, it drains my battery fast and it sucks like hell - just because he unconciously did something to his (rooted and even sometimes, unrooted) device.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2014
Thanks for the advice guys. It was definitely wiser to just enjoy and explore the phone for a couple weeks. I'm absolutely in love with it. I have upgraded to KitKat via the OTA update (slightly better battery, like the minor visual tweaks and even the faster unlock) and I'm ready to root the phone. The only thing is, I have a SMN900A and it seems that this build can't be rooted yet, is this true?

Also, I'm having a few issues with some apps not working time to time (TouchWiz has stopped, email has stopped, etc notifications..but then they work a few seconds later). Any advice on something I could do to prevent this?

And I really want to get rid of this bloatware on my phone, so much useless junk!!

LiMz

Feb 17, 2012
Thanks for the advice guys. It was definitely wiser to just enjoy and explore the phone for a couple weeks. I'm absolutely in love with it. I have upgraded to KitKat via the OTA update (slightly better battery, like the minor visual tweaks and even the faster unlock) and I'm ready to root the phone. The only thing is, I have a SMN900A and it seems that this build can't be rooted yet, is this true?

Also, I'm having a few issues with some apps not working time to time (TouchWiz has stopped, email has stopped, etc notifications..but then they work a few seconds later). Any advice on something I could do to prevent this?

And I really want to get rid of this bloatware on my phone, so much useless junk!!

Welcome, im a former jailbreaker myself. Welcome to the dark side :)?

Please remeber always read read and read again when youre rooting.
I can put rooting to you in a very primitive form

1) download samsung usb drivers
2) download odin
3) download custom recovery (Clockwork mod [CWM] or TWRP)
-- essentially both do the same but some are better developed for certain devices
4) download Custom ROM and put it on you sdcard / extsdcard
5) put phone into download mode (volume down + home + power)
6) flash custom recovery using PDA
7) let phone reboot then go into recovery mode (volume up + home + power)
8) BACKUP!!!! This is called a nandroid, its basically a snapshot of your phone.
If anything goes wrong, or you're unhappy with the new ROM you are about to flash
Ypu can revert to your nandroid, ie. Travel back in time.

**** if you are going from stock or another rom to a new rom you must do a full wipe
**** if your custom rom has AROMA which is a wizard it should give you the option
**** if it doesnt have AROMA you will need to do a sytem wipe / cache / dalvik cache wipe

9) Flash via (install zip via sdcard) and enjoy

Please use this as a general guideline.
Read read read the thread whereyou are going to flash from.

Once you have flashed a custome recovery your knox switch will become 0x1 voiding your warranty
Also it should be the last time you flash a custome recovery ie. You can just do step 4. And skip 5 and 6
Altogether.

Happy flashing

--
"Skate where the puck’s going, not where it’s been.”
- Wayne Gretzsky

Mar 16, 2014
Thanks for the mini guide! I have done my share of reading but I don't to attempt anything without being sure the N900Acucunc2 (not sure if I wrote that baseband right) can in fact be rooted on 4.4.2.
Welcome, im a former jailbreaker myself. Welcome to the dark side :)?

Please remeber always read read and read again when youre rooting.
I can put rooting to you in a very primitive form

1) download samsung usb drivers
2) download odin
3) download custom recovery (Clockwork mod [CWM] or TWRP)
-- essentially both do the same but some are better developed for certain devices
4) download Custom ROM and put it on you sdcard / extsdcard
5) put phone into download mode (volume down + home + power)
6) flash custom recovery using PDA
7) let phone reboot then go into recovery mode (volume up + home + power)
8) BACKUP!!!! This is called a nandroid, its basically a snapshot of your phone.
If anything goes wrong, or you're unhappy with the new ROM you are about to flash
Ypu can revert to your nandroid, ie. Travel back in time.

**** if you are going from stock or another rom to a new rom you must do a full wipe
**** if your custom rom has AROMA which is a wizard it should give you the option
**** if it doesnt have AROMA you will need to do a sytem wipe / cache / dalvik cache wipe

9) Flash via (install zip via sdcard) and enjoy

Please use this as a general guideline.
Read read read the thread whereyou are going to flash from.

Once you have flashed a custome recovery your knox switch will become 0x1 voiding your warranty
Also it should be the last time you flash a custome recovery ie. You can just do step 4. And skip 5 and 6
Altogether.

Happy flashing

--
"Skate where the puck’s going, not where it’s been.”
- Wayne Gretzsky

Techniques

Jul 14, 2012
Thanks for the mini guide! I have done my share of reading but I don't to attempt anything without being sure the N900Acucunc2 (not sure if I wrote that baseband right) can in fact be rooted on 4.4.2.

Welcome to Android. Your N900A bootloader is locked so your kinda restricted. Most people bought a Tmo N3 instead since it's bootloader unlocked and use it on the ATT network. You should move over to the ATT Note 3 forums. This forum is for the international variant of the Note 3. N9005/N900