ICS test firmware tackling Wi-Fi and HDMI issues

Search This thread

Extreme_One

May 7, 2012
Southampton
It seems that 4.0.6 has problems with memory management.
I understand (and this is completely normal) that 512MB model has only ~200MB free ram after boot. But running any resource heavy app- like Firefox (both official and Aurora) or some games (but not all- some take care of freeing memory by themselves when exited)- drops free ram under 80 or sometimes under 50 MB and not always memory is reclaimed after stopping the app in Settings->Apps->Running.

And BTW could you add to Recovery
-confirmations for all format/wipe operations
-wiping dalvik-cache
please? :)

Yes there is a definite issue where memory isn't being freed. I have resorted to using a 'fast reboot' app and keeping a close eye on unnecessary processes.
Otherwise the device will often freeze/restart.

theguy

Dec 11, 2006
Another update on this weird issue : if show CPU usage, show touches or pointer location are checked in developer options then scrolling home screens is smooth regardless of orientation. Such a strange bug. I hope it is fixable. :)

In the mean time I'm using show touches as it seems the least intrusive one.

gen_scheisskopf

Feb 22, 2009
Poznań
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 (2021)
Another update on this weird issue : if show CPU usage, show touches or pointer location are checked in developer options then scrolling home screens is smooth regardless of orientation. Such a strange bug. I hope it is fixable. :)

In the mean time I'm using show touches as it seems the least intrusive one.

You can try to use 'force hardware rendering for 2d'

Tapatalked from Xperia Arc S

theguy

Dec 11, 2006
have you tried a format? I had the lag after honeycomb upgrade, went away after a format.

I have formatted many times, as I say it is not present on 4.0.5.

It is not lag as such but it just isn't as smooth. It's really weird because I swipe the homescreens and see it. Then I flip the tablet upside down, swipe the homescreens and it just seems smoother.

Is it not like this for you?

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
I have formatted many times, as I say it is not present on 4.0.5.

It is not lag as such but it just isn't as smooth. It's really weird because I swipe the homescreens and see it. Then I flip the tablet upside down, swipe the homescreens and it just seems smoother.

Is it not like this for you?

I don't think so. Maybe i'm not as picky as you? xD I'll test it out

bkromhout

May 21, 2011
Recently I've noticed that the latest test firmware, which I only upgraded to because it got rooted (So yes, I'm rooted, but not over locked or anything like that) has actually made my wifi drop out more. I've never had a problem before now. It's mostly noticeable when using the Media Center app to stream videos from my SMB shares. Every time the wifi drops, it drops the video, and usually doesn't remember the position the video was at. It's very bothersome.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

zando2712

Jan 11, 2011
Recently I've noticed that the latest test firmware, which I only upgraded to because it got rooted (So yes, I'm rooted, but not over locked or anything like that) has actually made my wifi drop out more. I've never had a problem before now. It's mostly noticeable when using the Media Center app to stream videos from my SMB shares. Every time the wifi drops, it drops the video, and usually doesn't remember the position the video was at. It's very bothersome.

I am having the same problem.

Archos Media Center for Gen9 has problems streaming smb and uPnP shares.
Wifi signal drops. Router reboots.

AMC works pretty well when streaming to my Gen7 Archos 5 IT.
Wifi signal does not drop. Router does not reboot.

N

Ncyde47

@theguy

I found a solution for that problem. Kind of because it will still be not smooth but you can decide on what orientation its `lagging`
Lets say you never use your device upside down..
Then hold it upside down, select a new background and then it will only lag if youre on that orientation, where you selected your wallpaper.
Sry for bad english :)
Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using XDA

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
@theguy

I found a solution for that problem. Kind of because it will still be not smooth but you can decide on what orientation its `lagging`
Lets say you never use your device upside down..
Then hold it upside down, select a new background and then it will only lag if youre on that orientation, where you selected your wallpaper.
Sry for bad english :)

thats an interesting solution! i'll try it out

N

Ncyde47

Pls let me know if it works for you as well :)

N

Ncyde47

On me it was both, but homescreen was way more noticeable.

zando2712

Jan 11, 2011
I am having the same problem.

Archos Media Center for Gen9 has problems streaming smb and uPnP shares.
Wifi signal drops. Router reboots.

AMC works pretty well when streaming to my Gen7 Archos 5 IT.
Wifi signal does not drop. Router does not reboot.

Changed my router to Medialink Wireless N Router MWN-WAPR150N

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P05E3S/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

I no longer have WiFi drops.
(I had to switch WPS off because G9 would not connect with it enabled)
SMB streaming works quite well.

AMC UPnP streaming of video does not work with G9 (audio streaming works). I get an error before file starts playing ("Cannot play video. File is damaged or incomplete"). BubbleUPnP with BSPlayer works quite well.

AMC still works pretty well when streaming to my Gen7 Archos 5 IT.

Last edited:

Extreme_One

May 7, 2012
Southampton
Still no GPS but otherwise ... great!

Since installing latest 4.0.6test my 80 GO has been rock solid! It hasn't locked up one single time in the week or so I have been using his ROM.

With 4.0.6 official I would experience frequent lockups/reboots; sometimes 3 or 4 times a day! So this issue is fixed here. :)

I just wish I could achieve satellite lock; that's the only issue I have now.

zando2712

Jan 11, 2011
Does this video use mpeg2 codec? If yes- did you buy the codec or Cinemapack plugin?

None of my videos, whatever the codecs, stream through UPnP using the Archos Video app on my G9.
I bought the codecs so plugins should not be an issue.
SMB streaming of the same videos works.

Using BubbleUPnP and another video app like BSPlayer works very well.

Last edited:

bkromhout

May 21, 2011
None of the videos I watch use the MPEG2 or ac3 codecs either. So even with the update to 4.0.7, I'm still having periodic drops. The thing is, it reconnects right away, so it usually isn't a problem for most apps, even web browsers are usually okay.

But, even though it connects again right away, it's still enough to make the media center app drop the stream from my SMB shares, so my problem is due to the fact that the media center app only ever saves your position on the video you're streaming when you interact with the app, or just touch the screen to pop up the menu. So, an easy way to fix the problem would be to add some code to the media center app that saves your position without you having to interact with the interface.
It should do this especially when the stream is lost due to things such as wifi dropping, because I don't think it'd be hard to grab the latest position before it dropped and make that the resume position so it starts off where it was before the wifi dropped.

Since Archos really pushes the entertainment thing in their marketing, I'd really like to see little things like that being added to the media center app, and maybe in the future the way it reacts to a stream being dropped could be handled differently too.

Courville, care to comment on this any? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, especially concerning the tracking of video position for videos streamed from SMB

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please check the following firmware and report in this thread if it solves your Wi-Fi or HDMI issues.

http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/gen9_4.0.4-TEST/firmware_archos_it4.aos

There might be still some audio out problems with HDMI with OMAP4430 ES2.2 based platforms (check in settings->about tablet->OMAP version): we are still working on it and will come up with a solution shortly.

Thank you for your help/feedback and patience.
    Here we go again: for those still experiencing issues with Wi-Fi we have a new test firmware that consists in a major upgrade for your evaluation:
    http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/gen9_4.0.6-TEST4/firmware_archos_it4.aos
    Please note that this firmware also includes i) skype audio fix, ii) SGX performance boost, iii) some more CPU scheduler stability patches.
    If this is not the ultimate solution, it would be great to generate logs of the failures by installing/running the following applications after witnessing a problem:
    http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/debug/LogExtractor.apk
    that will generate a zip of the logs at the root of your tablet and post the result.

Thank you for your help and patience.
    All: thank you very much for your testing and reports.
    I see that we are making progress but there are still some issues left.
    We have a new firmware ready for you to test including some Wi-Fi changes:
    http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/gen9_4.0.5-TEST/firmware_archos_it4.aos
    Thank you for your help/feedback and patience.
    Please note that the final 4.0.6 firmware has been released. It contains one more Wi-Fi fix that will hopefully solves more disconnection problems faced with some access points. Please share your experience with this new firmware if 4.0.6-TEST2 was not working for you. Thank you for your help and patience.
    All: official 4.0.5 is out. It contains some minor additional fixes but nothing new on the Wi-Fi front compared to the test firmware.
    For the fritzbox and speedsport owners (Atheros based AP): we are working on the issue with our Wi-Fi chipset provider, we have over the air captures of the issue. Please stay tuned.