Anyone coming from a Nexus 5?

Search This thread

anirudh412

May 29, 2009
New Delhi
I have been using my N5 for a while now and have zero problems with it. However, the Z line is a looker and I am contemplating trading my nexus 5 for a Z1. Does anyone here have any experience with both phones? How do they stack up against each other? I use my phone mostly for whatsapp and playing Clash of Clans. Looking for smooth, lag free operation and good battery life. I dont intend to use the camera all that much.

TIA

Paradelle

Oct 13, 2013
Scotland
I have been using my N5 for a while now and have zero problems with it. However, the Z line is a looker and I am contemplating trading my nexus 5 for a Z1. Does anyone here have any experience with both phones? How do they stack up against each other? I use my phone mostly for whatsapp and playing Clash of Clans. Looking for smooth, lag free operation and good battery life. I dont intend to use the camera all that much.

TIA

Hey! I had a N5 prior to the Z1.

I love the N5, in some ways it is the perfect XDA phone. I swapped simply because I wanted to try something with better build quility. As you're aware, the camera on the N5 isn't great, one of the cut backs to get it so cheap. The Z1 camera is fantastic (or else it is compared to the N5.) Also, the finish of the phone is classy compared to the N5 (another cut back.)

As for speed: out of the box the N5 is faster. They are both running the same processor, though the N5 is clocked slightly faster. Obviously the N5 is running vanilla android, though in all fairness the sony skin isn't particularly intrusive. Not that the Z1 is slow. I'm running Kitslim rom with doomkernel overclocked at 2.4, with thermal throttle off. It's very quick, just not as quick as a N5 say with trinity and rasta. Although to counter this, even overclocked I get better battery from the Z1.

They are both very good phones. one thing I really miss on the N5 is the huge amount of roms to try. I'm a flash addict, and there's some good roms for the Z1, but so so many more for the N5. Worth thinking about if you flash a lot.

I'm not sure if this helps. I love the Z1. It does everything I need it to really well. It's a beautiful phone, and quick. Every so often though I miss the freedom to flash that you get from the N5 community.

anirudh412

May 29, 2009
New Delhi

I love the N5, in some ways it is the perfect XDA phone. I swapped simply because I wanted to try something with better build quility. As you're aware, the camera on the N5 isn't great, one of the cut backs to get it so cheap. The Z1 camera is fantastic (or else it is compared to the N5.) Also, the finish of the phone is classy compared to the N5 (another cut back.)

As for speed: out of the box the N5 is faster. They are both running the same processor, though the N5 is clocked slightly faster. Obviously the N5 is running vanilla android, though in all fairness the sony skin isn't particularly intrusive. Not that the Z1 is slow. I'm running Kitslim rom with doomkernel overclocked at 2.4, with thermal throttle off. It's very quick, just not as quick as a N5 say with trinity and rasta. Although to counter this, even overclocked I get better battery from the Z1.

They are both very good phones. one thing I really miss on the N5 is the huge amount of roms to try. I'm a flash addict, and there's some good roms for the Z1, but so so many more for the N5. Worth thinking about if you flash a lot.

I'm not sure if this helps. I love the Z1. It does everything I need it to really well. It's a beautiful phone, and quick. Every so often though I miss the freedom to flash that you get from the N5 community.

Thank you for that brilliant reply. Having been with Android for so many years now, i managed to rid myself of 'flash addiction' :D Once I find a ROM that gives me the best battery life and snappy performance, like i find with Slimkat on the N5, i dont flash anymore. Actually, once a setup works for me, i dont even flash an update to the same ROM.

So, if I am to consider buying the Z1, my main criteria would be smooth, buttery performance each and every time. I think its safe to assume the Z1 lasts longer on a charge than the N5. So, with a custom ROM and slight OC, the Z1 performs just as well as the N5? And what about heating up of the phone?

Again, thank you all for your replies.

Reactions: Paradelle

Drockk_Xm

Feb 21, 2012
Dhaka

N5 display is better then Z1?

Jiyeon90

Nov 8, 2012
The Z1 is obviously the better device, if you can live with slower updates,
With the z1 you get better camera, better build quality, better battery life, sd card support & waterproofness.

Paradelle

Oct 13, 2013
Scotland
With the z1 you get better camera, better build quality, better battery life, sd card support & waterproofness.

I think that 'obviously' is a strong word. Yes, what you say is true, but also the N5 is way faster than the Z1, it's much cheaper, and it will continue to get updates long after the Z1 is left languishing on kitkat. Also the XDA community for the N5 is large and active.

Not trying to start an argument here, but the OP seemed to be asking for impartial advice.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

I think it depends on what you prefer. I like the screens on both, and there's little to choose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drockk_Xm

Jiyeon90

Nov 8, 2012
I think that 'obviously' is a strong word. Yes, what you say is true, but also the N5 is way faster than the Z1, it's much cheaper, and it will continue to get updates long after the Z1 is left languishing on kitkat. Also the XDA community for the N5 is large and active.

Not trying to start an argument here, but the OP seemed to be asking for impartial advice.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

I think it depends on what you prefer. I like the screens on both, and there's little to choose.

You are right about the updates and the big community the nexus 5 has here, but what do you mean way faster? I have tried the nexus 5 and I own the z1, both are really snappy and smooth as butter, maybe you are using a custom ROM on your Z1?
You can even see here that the Z1 opens most apps quicker than the nexus 5
http://youtu.be/udaw7So5hzE

Paradelle

Oct 13, 2013
Scotland
You are right about the updates and the big community the nexus 5 has here, but what do you mean way faster? I have tried the nexus 5 and I own the z1, both are really snappy and smooth as butter, maybe you are using a custom ROM on your Z1?

They are both quick, there's no doubt. I've owned both. For me the stock N5 is quicker than stock Z1. I found that everything was just a bit quicker. Also, I cannot remember getting any lag on the stock N5, where as Z1 stock does.

It's so subjective though. And device dependent. I probably prefer the Z1. I use the camera a lot (I have a 3 year old daughter who won't sit still :) so this is a big plus for me. Also, it's much nicer aesthetically. I just occasionally miss being able to flash a new rom each night!

Reactions: Jiyeon90

Jiyeon90

Nov 8, 2012
They are both quick, there's no doubt. I've owned both. For me the stock N5 is quicker than stock Z1. I found that everything was just a bit quicker. Also, I cannot remember getting any lag on the stock N5, where as Z1 stock does.

It's so subjective though. And device dependent. I probably prefer the Z1. I use the camera a lot (I have a 3 year old daughter who won't sit still :) so this is a big plus for me. Also, it's much nicer aesthetically. I just occasionally miss being able to flash a new rom each night!

Fair enough, both are great devices so OP cant go wrong with any of them :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

TIA

Thank you for that brilliant reply. Having been with Android for so many years now, i managed to rid myself of 'flash addiction' :D Once I find a ROM that gives me the best battery life and snappy performance, like i find with Slimkat on the N5, i dont flash anymore. Actually, once a setup works for me, i dont even flash an update to the same ROM.

So, if I am to consider buying the Z1, my main criteria would be smooth, buttery performance each and every time. I think its safe to assume the Z1 lasts longer on a charge than the N5. So, with a custom ROM and slight OC, the Z1 performs just as well as the N5? And what about heating up of the phone?

Again, thank you all for your replies.