KAsp3rd

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2011
Louisville

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
If You Can Flash A ROM.....

Now you can create the image file needed for this De-Brick method.

Download this: T999_Partial_Sys_Dump_for_debrick.zip

Flash it in your preferred recovery (CWM or TWRP) and it will create the dump file needed for this debrick method from KAsp3rd!

Once you have flashed it you will find a file called debrick.img on your internal sdcard. It should be 128MB in size. (if you zip it, it will be much smaller!) Upload this to your preferred file host (I recommend Dev-Host), and PM the link to KAsp3rd.

Now it is waaaayyy too easy for anyone to reasonably say no! :cowboy:

KAsp3rd

Jan 16, 2011
Louisville

Flash it in your preferred recovery (CWM or TWRP) and it will create the dump file needed for this debrick method from KAsp3rd!

Once you have flashed it you will find a file called debrick.img on your internal sdcard. It should be 128MB in size. (if you zip it, it will be much smaller!) Upload this to your preferred file host (I recommend Dev-Host), and PM the link to KAsp3rd.

Thank you for this. It will be used quite a bit ;D

KAsp3rd

Jan 16, 2011
Louisville
Need a tester for the T999V image that I made. Not sure if it will work but I have faith. PM me if you want to test it for me.

absinthesummer

Account currently disabled
May 16, 2012
Usa
meettomy.site
@KAsp3rd, I would totally test it for you if I had a T999v, but I don't :(
Someone will test it! I'm sure of it.This thread has exploded in the past few days, someone will jump on it.

Funny thing though, I literally JUST realized you're in Clarksville! I don't know anyone else "locally" who's interested in phones and customization like I am. I start talking ROMs and recoveries and adb their eyes just glaze over.
If I ever brick my phone or tablet and can't get the method going right for me, I very well might just drive the dead device to you for resuscitation. Fair warning ;)

Reactions: KAsp3rd

KAsp3rd

Jan 16, 2011
Louisville
@KAsp3rd, I would totally test it for you if I had a T999v, but I don't :(
Someone will test it! I'm sure of it.This thread has exploded in the past few days, someone will jump on it.

Funny thing though, I literally JUST realized you're in Clarksville! I don't know anyone else "locally" who's interested in phones and customization like I am. I start talking ROMs and recoveries and adb their eyes just glaze over.
If I ever brick my phone or tablet and can't get the method going right for me, I very well might just drive the dead device to you for resuscitation. Fair warning ;)

LOL, I'm working with a user right now testing the T999V variant, I think we might have some headway on it but it's still skeptical at this point. It's not Clarksville, TN it's the other Clarksville :D I know what you mean about the whole speaking to people and their eye's glazing over.

absinthesummer

Account currently disabled
May 16, 2012
Usa
meettomy.site
LOL, I'm working with a user right now testing the T999V variant, I think we might have some headway on it but it's still skeptical at this point. It's not Clarksville, TN it's the other Clarksville :D I know what you mean about the whole speaking to people and their eye's glazing over.

Ah, see I should have figured it was "another Clarksville" lol. Apparently, there's 13 of them! (...or more, that was based on a cursory search) But Clarksville, TN is so prominent, that's the one I thought. Oh well, I'll continue my search for another local android development fan elsewhere :p

It would be nice, for sure, I feel like I'm not really an expert, yet everyone comes to me to fix or customize their phones- I'd love to know someone around here more knowledgeable than me to talk & share info with.

Good luck with the testing, I hope something awesome comes from it for the t999v folks!

KAsp3rd

Jan 16, 2011
Louisville
Ah, see I should have figured it was "another Clarksville" lol. Apparently, there's 13 of them! (...or more, that was based on a cursory search) But Clarksville, TN is so prominent, that's the one I thought. Oh well, I'll continue my search for another local android development fan elsewhere :p

It would be nice, for sure, I feel like I'm not really an expert, yet everyone comes to me to fix or customize their phones- I'd love to know someone around here more knowledgeable than me to talk & share info with.

Good luck with the testing, I hope something awesome comes from it for the t999v folks!

Yeah it seems to be the inception that if it's Clarksville that it must be TN. If I put Clarksville, IN everyone is like "where is that" So I should just change it to Louisville. :D

Good luck in your search for other local Android enthusiast...

KAsp3rd

Jan 16, 2011
Louisville
Here is link to debrick image I made from t999v (oficial jb 4.1.1 with original recovery, only rooted):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9birlrfgkvy7hi/debrick_SGH-T999v.zip

For some reason i wasn't able to de-brick t999v I have - when I put back battery and pressed power nothing happened. I do not know if it's a problem with my phone or t999v cannot be de-bricked using this method..

I'll take a look at it in the morning. Thanks for the link. Did you use doc's zip file to get the dump?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

liongvn

Mar 4, 2013
Da Nang
have to use 8gb/16gb sdcard ????,i have a 4 GB sdcard and tried your method but after i dit it,my sdcard have only 63 MB ,eventhough i formated it,how can i fix my sdcard ? :(

KAsp3rd

Jan 16, 2011
Louisville
have to use 8gb/16gb sdcard ????,i have a 4 GB sdcard and tried your method but after i dit it,my sdcard have only 63 MB ,eventhough i formated it,how can i fix my sdcard ? :(

It requires an 16 or 32g SD card. To fix your other sdcard put it back into your linux computer and run parted /dev/sdX <where X is the card> and delete each partition

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

KAsp3rd

Jan 16, 2011
Louisville
No, i used adb to run dd. That phone do not have custom recovery (was new and I only rooted it).
Also I used 16Gb kingston microsd card

Hmmm... that is an odd one. All the partitions are showing the same size and locations as what I saw yesterday.

Code:
Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1            8192          131071   60.0 MiB    0700  modem
   2          131072          131327   128.0 KiB   FFFF  sbl1
   3          131328          131839   256.0 KiB   FFFF  sbl2
   4          131840          132863   512.0 KiB   FFFF  sbl3
   5          132864          136959   2.0 MiB     FFFF  aboot
   6          136960          137983   512.0 KiB   FFFF  rpm

Are you able to join me in IRC? I'd like to get you unbricked.

cy_mpak

Aug 1, 2008
Hmmm... that is an odd one. All the partitions are showing the same size and locations as what I saw yesterday.

Code:
Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1            8192          131071   60.0 MiB    0700  modem
   2          131072          131327   128.0 KiB   FFFF  sbl1
   3          131328          131839   256.0 KiB   FFFF  sbl2
   4          131840          132863   512.0 KiB   FFFF  sbl3
   5          132864          136959   2.0 MiB     FFFF  aboot
   6          136960          137983   512.0 KiB   FFFF  rpm

Are you able to join me in IRC? I'd like to get you unbricked.
i can only check forum from time to time..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Other carriers and variants are still a work in progress
    If you have a variant of the T999 other than the original T-Mobile SGH-T999 please contribute to the community and help us recover other users

If you have updated to 4.3 via OTA or flashed 4.3 firmware you will need to make sure you get the 4.3 debrick image.

Linux and Windows instructions are now included. Video only covers Linux.

Updated debrick links with zipped image files for lower bandwidth usage

I know there are some "How to unbrick" guides out there however they do no refer to an actual brick where you are stuck in QHSUSB-DLOAD mode.

The following guide will get you back to where you should be able to odin everything back to stock.

What you need:
    • Bricked SGH-T999
    • 16GB or 32GB microSD card (all data will be erased from this sdcard)
    • microSD card reader
    • Linux Live Disc, VM with Linux with direct hardware control or native Linux OS. (Should work with OSx as well however I cannot confirm as I do not own one) Windows can be used, instructions below.
    • Everything in the ODIN guide

One of the following images based on your S III Model
    • SGH-T999 ***NOT FOR 4.3*** Debrick Image Thanks to @Techlyfe for the emmc dump
    • SGH-T999 4.3 only Debrick Image
    • SGH-T999L Debrick image Thanks to @DJ_SpaRky for the new T999L dump
    • SGH-T999N Debrick We still need one for this device
    • SGH-T999v ***NOT FOR 4.3*** Debrick Image
    • SGH-T999v 4.3 only Debrick Image @cLogic for the T999v 4.3 upload

How to get it done:

Linux Instructions
    • Boot your Linux OS
    • Download the debrick image listed in the Item's needed list
    • Open terminal on your Linux OS
    • Insert your microSD card into the reader
    • Plug your microSD card reader into your computer
    • Run
      Code:
      dmesg | tail
      you should see something that mentions where it is mounted via /sdX
      Code:
      dd if=/path_to_debrick.img of=/dev/sdX
      again where X is the microSD card ignoring the partition numbers as they should be overwritten
      I had to do this a couple times for the image to actually take
      Code:
      parted /dev/sdX print
      If you will see Error about the GPT table being corrupt you can type "OK" and then you will be given an option to Fix/Ignore; type "Ignore"
      should show approximately 23 partitions (IIRC)
    Windows Instructions
    • Download win32diskimager
    • Download your debrick image
    • Unzip both items and run win32diskimager
    • Run win32diskimager
    • browse for your extracted debrick image
    • Select your microSD in the dropdown box
    • Click write
    Instructions required for both
    • remove the microSD card from the reader
    • remove the battery, sim and external microSD card from your device
    • insert your debrick microSD into your phone
    • insert the battery and down your power button (at this point your phone might actually boot completely and you can recovery any software/data you want)
    • reboot into Download mode either via adb or Volume Down + Home + Power
    • Once the device is booted into bootloader remove the microSD card.
    • follow the directions in the ODIN thread and make sure you UNCHECK partition!
    * requires su privileges

Here's is a flashable zip to get the first 128M of the emmc which is what we use to create our debrick.img. It will create the debrick.img then compress it is a .zip format. Idea given to me from DocHoliday77 and used his original zip from here.
    If you upload them I will mirror and link them to this post

PIT Files for ODIN when coming upon the error "PIT Partition does not exist"

Thanks to the following:
    @gTan64 for finding the fix while repairing their friend's phone.
    @CNexus for Link to original thread here where I found the answer for this
    @Techlyfe again for the SGH-T999 emmc dump
    @DocHoliday77 for the odin guide and software
    @Matt for being Matt
    @jmcoffey for the SGH-T999L dump
    And My wife for letting me mess with her phone (which in turn bricked it by overwriting the apm partition)

@deBricker for their thread another walkthrough
    If You Can Flash A ROM.....

RESERVED

Reserved for screenshots and future usage

I can usually be found on IRC Freenode #teambuild #teamkang or #teamgelato
    Looking forward to hearing someone's results!
    I can say that I do not believethis currently will work on a T999L, T999N, T999V. None of their firmware is compatible with each other. For example, if you try to flash ones firmware to another, it will cause a device to hard brick. So until versions for each model are posted, I wouldn't try this on anything but the T999.
    Thanks for posting OP. Hoping it works!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 4
    Looking forward to hearing someone's results!
    I can say that I do not believethis currently will work on a T999L, T999N, T999V. None of their firmware is compatible with each other. For example, if you try to flash ones firmware to another, it will cause a device to hard brick. So until versions for each model are posted, I wouldn't try this on anything but the T999.
    Thanks for posting OP. Hoping it works!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 4

Sent you a PM requesting the T999L emmc dump. If we can get all the T999 Variants in here then it would be awesome. Apparently the fallback boot on the S III when the bootloader is corrupt is externalSD so we just emulate the bootloader onto the microSD and it booted perfectly for me when I bricked my wife's T999