[GUIDE] Using Apps Ops (or Privacy Guard) 4 blocking wakelocks & saving battery

were you aware of using App ops as wakelock blocker and battery saver?

• Total voters
Search This thread

leonlah

Oct 18, 2014
I have accidentally change the wake up and keep awake settings as ask always for android system. Now it is in a constant loop of ask permission to wake up, but because i have a passlock on, i cant get pass it. Is there anyway to solve it :S

Kapiljhajhria

May 3, 2011
gurgaon
I have accidentally change the wake up and keep awake settings as ask always for android system. Now it is in a constant loop of ask permission to wake up, but because i have a passlock on, i cant get pass it. Is there anyway to solve it :S
If you can't get pass the lock screen then only way i can think of is to format it And be careful next time.

dokie80

May 23, 2008
jakarta
thanks for the explanations..
I have privacy guard with advanced options. can you tell me the difference between manual setting (long press), and toogle (single tap, and then the little shield icon on the right will toogle on/off)?
if I manually set the permission, the shield does not turn on, should i turn it on?
if I turn on the shield icon, what permissions will it block automatically (without us set it manually)?

thanks

edit: I see that manually set app's permission related to contacts will turn on the shield icon. does this mean by "enabling by default" (for new apps), it will automatically block all permission about personal data (contacts, calls, and calendar?)?

Last edited:

Kapiljhajhria

May 3, 2011
gurgaon
thanks for the explanations..
I have privacy guard with advanced options. can you tell me the difference between manual setting (long press), and toogle (single tap, and then the little shield icon on the right will toogle on/off)?
if I manually set the permission, the shield does not turn on, should i turn it on?
if I turn on the shield icon, what permissions will it block automatically (without us set it manually)?

thanks

edit: I see that manually set app's permission related to contacts will turn on the shield icon. does this mean by "enabling by default" (for new apps), it will automatically block all permission about personal data (contacts, calls, and calendar?)?

Single tap will activation privacy guard for that particular app. What kind of permissions it will block depends on the app. Normally wake up and keep awake permissions are never blocked. You have to do that manually. Personal info is blocked with a single tap.

Icon should be activated with single tap and once you change any permissions. Even if doesn't if you change some permission by long press then don't worry. Its still on. Maybe it changes only when certain permissions are changed. (Never noticed this before, so giving my best guess at the moment. Will try to find out something about it.)

Reactions: dokie80

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Before I begin note for:
    Everyone:
    I am making this thread as much as noob friendly. So if anyone doesn't understand any term or anything please let me know through posting here or PM me.

Moderators:
    This is my first guide. I tried to follow all the rules if my thread is breaking any rules please let me know so I can make appropriate changes.
    If the thread is in wrong section please move it.

This guide is only for:
    - Android 4.3 and above which has app ops (privacy guard)

App Ops (or privacy guard) can be used for:
    - denying specific permission to a certain app
    -checking which apps are kepping your phone awake and which apps are the one using resources like location, personal stuff, etc ( only if your app ops or privacy guard has " advance" option. watch video to know what it is.)
    - preventing app from causing wakelock
    -overall it can be sort of used like wakelock blocker, battery saver app ( because of its feature to block wakelock) and noob friendly way of determining apps that causes wakelocks.

Usefull Links
    using BBS to find cause of your battery drain. short video on that here
    How to prevent & handle wakelocks & save battery life[GUIDE]
    COMPLETE GUIDE for BATTERY SAVING on AOKP,AOSP,CM, SAMMY ROMs

Video on How to prevent wakelock using privacy guard (app ops) and prevent battery drain by a particular app.

Another small video with little different content

Power Point Presentation
    for those who are not able to understand my accent or usually have trouble with spoken english. or just are not in mood for wasting data on youtube video. here is the power point presentation. I was not able to upload here on xda so i have used google drive.
    PPT on Using App Ops( privacy guard) to its full potential (includes saving battery)
    (Best viewed on laptops, computer or mobile devices with bigger screen)

I was a little late (actually lot late) to use app ops
    It was recently that I started using app ops (now mostly know as privacy guard)
    Not only can it be used for privacy purposes but it can also be used as battery saving app or wakelock blocker.
    Different Roms have a little different app ops( privacy guard) some provides user advance options some don’t. Some even has little extra option and sort of interactive mode like xprivacy. (like temasek’s ROM which I use)

I am made this video with temasek’s ROM which is my favorite ROM.
    Can someone confirm for me what some of the permissions are actually for?

Wi-Fi change
    Data change
    Bluetooth change

Also, if I allow an app 'Wake up', but not 'Keep awake' - could the app keep waking the phone in an attempt to gain the wakelock which it is being denied?

'Keep awake' only applies if the screen is off, correct?
    If I deny 'Keep awake' then an app won't close down while I'm using it, but it could be put into hibernation (don't know the correct term) by Android while it's in the middle of a background task? Like a radio app could just close, or a browser which is downloading something could just terminate the download before it's completed?
    wake up means : if device is in standby mode then that app can wake up your phone from sleep. like Facebook app when you recieve some notification it wakes up your phone to show notification.
    keep awake means: while your phone is in use. if you are using some app and it is performing some operation and your phone screen times out and display switched off. after a while your phone will go in deep sleep. this permission will prevent it from going in deep sleep mode and keep phone awake. for example if you are downloading something via some download manager. and you have denied that download manager "keep awake" permission. so after you screen times out and there is no other app or process that is keeping your phone awake. this download manager will not be able to keep your phone awake. so download will stop .

so you need to use these permissions carefully. make sure you don't deny some app permission which is essential for its normal function.

you can deny Facebook both these wakelocks if you don't care about getting facebook notification all the time

Wifi Change and Data change is normally shown in apps that uses data. and also have options like sync or download only on wifi or only on mobile data. it is essential for that app to determine the change. so that it can act according to its settings.

For Bluetooth change you need to tell me for which app you are talking about? maybe some automatic profiles app like llama, tasker, etc they need this permission as there are profiles or conditions like switch on Bluetooth when in this area or if connected to this Bluetooth device do this

few people denied "settings" wake up and keep awake permission and they screwed up their phone. they had to reflash the entire ROM . they reported no touch, device not waking up from deep sleep. etc.
    so just be extra careful when you are experimenting with system apps.
    Waiting for PowerPoint because my understanding of spoken english is (very) limited.

Thank you!

PPT uploaded
    Waiting for PowerPoint because my understanding of spoken english is (very) limited.

Thank you!

Will be soon just waiting for one or two days. I have asked for some screenshots on various threads of different ROMs. So that it will make a better presentation and comparison of different options in different ROMs. If i don't get enough screenshots in two days then i will myself download and flash some ROMs.