(Q) [Solved :)] Search button as Camera button

Search This thread

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
That's what I do to, because then I would need to pull and push the files. I was talking about in general making the /system a RW; for other needs.

I use root explorer too, and that automatic backup is a great feature. Gives you some peace-at-mind when doing this. :)

You have to be careful with the backup feature though. I made two changes. the first one was the camera button change. It made a backup. Then I made another change for the volume buttons. It made a backup of the file with the camera change. So it overwrites the very first original backup. Its probably best to just backup the file the first time and keep it in a separate folder or something so it doesnt get overwritten.

IAreKyleW00t

Dec 15, 2011
Ohio
k.yle.sh
For those other questions. I just used the Text Editor in Root Explorer, I find that good enough for me. :D And Yes, I know the backup get overwriten, but I'm OK with that. If It works for me then I have no need to go back to the original.

As for opening up the Camera with that button, I don't know. Personally I just use the touch screen button for the Camera and just have my Search button stay the same - so you'll need to try what jsgraphic said. I'm assuming it should work like he said, but I wouldn't know.

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
Try long pressing the search button. It opens up the stock camera for me.

For those other questions. I just used the Text Editor in Root Explorer, I find that good enough for me. :D And Yes, I know the backup get overwriten, but I'm OK with that. If It works for me then I have no need to go back to the original.

As for opening up the Camera with that button, I don't know. Personally I just use the touch screen button for the Camera and just have my Search button stay the same - so you'll need to try what jsgraphic said. I'm assuming it should work like he said, but I wouldn't know.

Just got the long search press to on the eclipse camera in my liberty rom....thanks a ton guys :)

wesf90

Dec 27, 2011
Wow, now this is what rooting is all about. Thanks for the tip robocuff B)

Infantry667

Nov 2, 2011
Long press doesn't work for me, I'm on eclipse 2.0.2 but I will mess with it some more. As far as getting the original file back if you screw it up too bad or lose it and the backup just open up the original downloaded .zip rom file, extract the file you need and push it back to your phone with root explorer.

SBF'd (sent blazingly fast) from my Alienated X2

Infantry667

Nov 2, 2011
Nevermind, I forgot to change permissions back. Works beautifully now. Awesome thread.

SBF'd (sent blazingly fast) from my Alienated X2

03civicdx

Nov 23, 2010
Didn't work for me. And now my volume down wont work. Idk what went wrong.

**Edit**
Can someone post a screen shot of how it should look after the change?

Sent from my DROID X2 using xda premium

Last edited:

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
key 102 HOME WAKE
key 139 MENU WAKE_DROPPED
key 158 BACK WAKE_DROPPED
key 212 FOCUS
key 211 CAMERA
key 115 VOLUME_UP
key 114 VOLUME_DOWN
#key 217 SEARCH WAKE_DROPPED
key 217 CAMERA
key 28 ENTER
#
# IKXETNA-128 Verizon UTS tool support
#
key 2 1 WAKE_DROPPED
key 3 2 WAKE_DROPPED
key 4 3 WAKE_DROPPED
key 5 4 WAKE_DROPPED
key 6 5 WAKE_DROPPED
key 7 6 WAKE_DROPPED
key 8 7 WAKE_DROPPED
key 9 8 WAKE_DROPPED
key 10 9 WAKE_DROPPED
key 11 0 WAKE_DROPPED
key 56 ALT_LEFT WAKE_DROPPED
key 42 SHIFT_LEFT WAKE_DROPPED
key 62 ENDCALL WAKE_DROPPED
key 61 CALL WAKE_DROPPED
key 228 POUND WAKE_DROPPED
key 227 STAR WAKE_DROPPED
key 231 CALL WAKE_DROPPED
key 162 POWER WAKE
key 14 DEL
key 57 SPACE
key 52 PERIOD
key 51 COMMA
key 16 Q
key 17 W
key 18 E
key 19 R
key 20 T
key 21 Y
key 22 U
key 23 I
key 24 O
key 25 P
key 30 A
key 31 S
key 32 D
key 33 F
key 34 G
key 35 H
key 36 J
key 37 K
key 38 L
key 44 Z
key 45 X
key 46 C
key 47 V
key 48 B
key 49 N
key 50 M

03civicdx

Nov 23, 2010
key 102 HOME WAKE
key 139 MENU WAKE_DROPPED
key 158 BACK WAKE_DROPPED
key 212 FOCUS
key 211 CAMERA
key 115 VOLUME_UP
key 114 VOLUME_DOWN
#key 217 SEARCH WAKE_DROPPED
key 217 CAMERA
key 28 ENTER
#
# IKXETNA-128 Verizon UTS tool support
#
key 2 1 WAKE_DROPPED
key 3 2 WAKE_DROPPED
key 4 3 WAKE_DROPPED
key 5 4 WAKE_DROPPED
key 6 5 WAKE_DROPPED
key 7 6 WAKE_DROPPED
key 8 7 WAKE_DROPPED
key 9 8 WAKE_DROPPED
key 10 9 WAKE_DROPPED
key 11 0 WAKE_DROPPED
key 56 ALT_LEFT WAKE_DROPPED
key 42 SHIFT_LEFT WAKE_DROPPED
key 62 ENDCALL WAKE_DROPPED
key 61 CALL WAKE_DROPPED
key 228 POUND WAKE_DROPPED
key 227 STAR WAKE_DROPPED
key 231 CALL WAKE_DROPPED
key 162 POWER WAKE
key 14 DEL
key 57 SPACE
key 52 PERIOD
key 51 COMMA
key 16 Q
key 17 W
key 18 E
key 19 R
key 20 T
key 21 Y
key 22 U
key 23 I
key 24 O
key 25 P
key 30 A
key 31 S
key 32 D
key 33 F
key 34 G
key 35 H
key 36 J
key 37 K
key 38 L
key 44 Z
key 45 X
key 46 C
key 47 V
key 48 B
key 49 N
key 50 M

That's exactly how mine looked. But didn't work. I rebooted, fixed permission and all that jazz.

03civicdx

Nov 23, 2010
That's exactly how mine looked. But didn't work. I rebooted, fixed permission and all that jazz.

uploadfromtaptalk1325461687208.jpg

03civicdx

Nov 23, 2010
Looks likes you have capital k's if so try lower case
I just capitalized the two k's. It didn't would. Put those two to lower case, save it and reboot. Walla your camera button will work

Just went in and made sure they was lower case. Still no go on either.

03civicdx

Nov 23, 2010
Try copying and pasting what I posted up there into yours and if that doesn't work.....maybe pm me an email address ill email you my file
Also tell me what rom, if that rims stock camera

My volume down button randomly stated to work last night so I decided to check the search button out and sure enough it works now. I have no clue what the issue was because I didn't do anything and it just randomly started to work.

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
My volume down button randomly stated to work last night so I decided to check the search button out and sure enough it works now. I have no clue what the issue was because I didn't do anything and it just randomly started to work.

Glad its working now

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have mine like that right now. /system/usr/keylayout. Open the tegra-kbc.kl file in a text editor and find the line that says key 217 SEARCH WAKE_DROPPED and comment it out by putting a # in front of it. Then just add a line that says key 217 CAMERA . Reboot your phone and you should have it.

In the same file, is it possible to make the volume buttons wake the phone? I see it shows wake for the home button. And I dont know what wake_dropped means for the menu and back buttons.

Yes, it's possible. WAKE means that if that button/key is pressed while the phone is asleep (screen is off), it will wake the phone up and return it to the app/lock screen.
    WAKE_DROPPED means that if that button/key is pressed while the phone is asleep (screen is off), it will 'wake' the phone, but it will NOT return it to the application/lock screen.

Basically, WAKE = unlock phone, WAKE_DROPPED = Doesn't unlock phone.
    Thanks. Will doing this disable the volume buttons though? I changed the search button to the camera button as was described and, obviously, the search function is gone. Will that happen with the volume buttons. If so, I dont want to mess with it.

Unless you removed the VOLUME_UP and/or VOLUME_DOWN in that, then no. Just change WAKE_DROPPED to WAKE and it should be fine.

The worst that could happen is what... your volume doesn't work for a second while you change it back? lol :D

EDIT:

First off, excellent thread with an excellent answer.

This needs to be stickied!

Now, another question. I went in there and saw a lot of different .kl files. I myself use SwiftKey X. Does it matter which file I edit? For example, here are the files I have:

AVRCP.kl
    Motorola_Bluetooth_Wireless_Keyboard.kl
    cpcap-key.kl
    qwerty.kl
    tegra-kbc.kl
    usb_keyboard_102_en_us.kl

Does the tegra-kbc.kl file work across all different keyboard software?

Thanks!

I got the same thing, personally it bothers me because of the clutter... but I'd rather not mess with it right now, but if you need to edit something you'll want to use tegra-kbc.kl
    I don't think this thread should be stickied, but I think there should be a thread showing how to do this with it. Like a guide/tutorial. :p
    I've seen an app like that, but it didn't work for me because it was outdated. Forgot where I found it... as for the /system , I find it easiest to just use ADB on my computer and run the command 'adb remount'. That automatically sets /system as RW. :D

I'm no dev, and I certainly don't know how to make apps... so unfortunately I can't help with that. :|

EDIT:
    Glad it worked for you jsgraphicart. :D
    Worked great....heres one more camera button question do you now a command to use our noew camera button to activate the camera from say pushing search on a home screen?

Try long pressing the search button. It opens up the stock camera for me.