the LAG thread --__--

Search This thread

Jay Aristide

Jun 27, 2011
Dyer, Tennessee
www.daede.com
Thanks. dmesg came back with mmc prod_name = mag2ga. Couldn't find more info than that. Samsung has some mag2 emmc chips listed on their site, but didn't see this specific product code.

MAG2GA is indeed Samsung NAND, as it's present in almost every Samsung mobile device made in the past year and a half. Don't think they would outsource something they make, themselves.

The odd thing is, neither of the tablets here in our house suffer from the lag issue, but both have this NAND...

Reactions: mmaestro

mmaestro

Dec 14, 2011
Just wanted to add my voice to those saying that 4.1.2 fixed my lag issues. Well, truthfully after a hard reset a few weeks ago and keeping my space empty, it never came back. But I just forced the OTA (cleared framework to do this), then used Forever Gone to fill and empty the space.

My sequential reads were ~10.5MB/s before, and they remain there after. But I went from 83.31 IOPS to 127.46 IOPS. It was noticable that while Forever Gone was doing its thing, it would fly through writing to the free space and then occasionally lock up for anywhere from 2-10 seconds, I assume hitting a spot in the storage that had had something in it previously and hadn't properly had garbage collection done.
Still, everything seems to be working well now. Better, even. It just seems that little bit snappier. Whether that's just 4.1.2 or the storage fix, I don't know.

Reactions: farmerbb

mercado79

Oct 4, 2008
Boston, MA
I got the biggest boost copying fat nandroid backup files using 4.1.2 to fill up space and then deleting them. Nothing after that has increased Androbench speeds further.

That said, I did find the Forever Gone app in the Play store that seems to be a good alternative to the big file copy and the dd method.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kovit.p.forevergone

The app shows free space counting down as it is being written over so you can track the progress. When it is done filling up free space, a button push clears it.

wow. just used the app and my random write speeds jumped to triple digits for the first time since i bought the n7. actually, all speeds look better, but that's the one that jumped the most. thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT:
Pre 4.1.2 update: Random Writes hovered around 40 IOPS
Post 4.1.2 update: 65 to 80 IOPS
Post Forevergone: 115 IOPS

And all scores seem to be consistent from test to test. Not so previously.

Sweetness.

Last edited:

jonmorris

Apr 22, 2012
Hatfield, UK
www.jmcomms.com
I know it has been said so apologies, but I am not sure the best way to optimise the tablet after the update.

I really want to avoid a reset, so what can I do? I can see that simply updating doesn't fix it instantly.

sark666

Dec 2, 2010
Ok, what are normal benchmarks for random writes? Both my random writes and seq writes were still awful after updating to 4.1.2 but after filling the device/clearing files seq writes seem fine but random writes still seem slow, however I'm seeing some of you quote speeds that I am getting and saying that's normal.

However in androbench when I look at rankings, others are getting way higher random writes. As far as usage goes, things feel better but it's certainly not as smooth, and currents still times out updating stories/doesnt' update all sources/doesn't grab all pictures even though I indicated as such. It was currents that first brought my attention to the issue so it was one of the first things I tried.

So if I am getting normal random writes, why are the avg benchmarks so much higher?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-11-18-35-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-11-18-35-25.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 294
  • Screenshot_2012-10-11-18-35-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-11-18-35-42.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 288

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Ok, what are normal benchmarks for random writes? Both my random writes and seq writes were still awful after updating to 4.1.2 but after filling the device/clearing files seq writes seem fine but random writes still seem slow, however I'm seeing some of you quote speeds that I am getting and saying that's normal.

However in androbench when I look at rankings, others are getting way higher random writes. As far as usage goes, things feel better but it's certainly not as smooth, and currents still times out updating stories/doesnt' update all sources/doesn't grab all pictures even though I indicated as such. It was currents that first brought my attention to the issue so it was one of the first things I tried.

So if I am getting normal random writes, why are the avg benchmarks so much higher?

Don't pay attention to the rankings or the Nexus 7 comparison your supposed to compare yours against. That list is so far beyond inaccurate it isn't even funny.

sark666

Dec 2, 2010
Hmm, ok, so I assume the 'low' rnd write score is normal, or as good as it's going to get Well, I cleared the cache for currents and then did a sync. The majority of articles still don't have picture even though I have the option 'include images: all editions' selected. That was one of the first things I noticed when the issue started, currents wouldn't complete a sync so I was left without outdated articles and only the odd one having an image, something that never happened before. But not only pictures, some news feeds have the most recent story dates Sept 12! If I go online and go to that source then it updates, but updating by syncing usually fails/timeouts on most sources.

Again, that was one the first thing I noticed that brought this problem to my attention. Same thing in flipbook, it doesn't have an offline mode but was very laggy, haven't tried that yet though. Maybe it's a separate issue with currents but for a good while it was behaving fine and then started to behave poorly and I had assumed it was due to this issue.

sauceboy25

Sep 28, 2012
Okay - so I'm running AOKP Build 4 with CWM, which seems to fix the lag problem, with some risk for data corruption, as I'm told.

I've downloaded the factory 4.1.2 image as per Google - how would I burn this ROM - the same way I do for Cyanogen or AOKP? The package apparently contains another ZIP file and a bootloader, etc.

What's the process - and I assume doing it doesn't disrupt my root?

Turbotab

May 2, 2011
Okay - so I'm running AOKP Build 4 with CWM, which seems to fix the lag problem, with some risk for data corruption, as I'm told.

I've downloaded the factory 4.1.2 image as per Google - how would I burn this ROM - the same way I do for Cyanogen or AOKP? The package apparently contains another ZIP file and a bootloader, etc.

What's the process - and I assume doing it doesn't disrupt my root?

If you want to restore your N7 back to stock with a Google factory image, you can't just flash it in CWM. There is a great guide in the Q&A. However, it will remove root, but that is simple to get back.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1907796

There is also a Nexus 7 Toolkit in the development forum, which can flash a factory image, but I've never used it.

sauceboy25

Sep 28, 2012
If you want to restore your N7 back to stock with a Google factory image, you can't just flash it in CWM. There is a great guide in the Q&A. However, it will remove root, but that is simple to get back.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1907796

There is also a Nexus 7 Toolkit in the development forum, which can flash a factory image, but I've never used it.

I used the Nexus 7 Toolkit originally to root and flash it, so I guess I could use it to flash the factory image. What a pain in the a$$.

Wait, so to be clear, to get the full updated Jelly Bean, I have to push the stock image in, and then re-root and re-install CWM?

Last edited:

evodon84

Aug 7, 2010
San Diego
I'm sure you made a backup of stock 4.1.1 rooted right?

1. Restore to that, if not then use the toolkit to return to stock 4.1.1 and then all in one root. Its easy.
2. Once you have rooted 4.1.1, d/l voodoo ota and go into the app and backup root.
3. Find the thread and Android Development with the flash able zips of stock 4.1.2. Download the right one and put it on your SD card.
4. Reboot into recovery. I am using TWRP 2.3
5. Make a backup
6. Flash the zip you downloaded
7. Reboot into Android
8. Open voodoo ota and restore root
9. Verify you have root
10. Win

I just bought my N7 from another member and it was running like ****. I tried a few different Roms and kernels and after I unlocked the screen, it took 5-10 seconds for the icons to even show up. It was horrible, like using a single core PC that hadn't been re-imaged in 5 years. I did the above and its running great now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

EdCof

Oct 12, 2012
I really want to avoid a reset, so what can I do? I can see that simply updating doesn't fix it instantly.

I can't say this is the best way, but all I did was update, then run Forever Gone. It stalled a couple of times with 50-250MB free space, locking the tablet and requiring a reboot, but after a few tries I could get it to run until the storage was completely full then release the filled space. After that it's been fine, even when I filled it up again to less than 3GB free.

miscfiles

Oct 11, 2012
I can't say this is the best way, but all I did was update, then run Forever Gone. It stalled a couple of times with 50-250MB free space, locking the tablet and requiring a reboot, but after a few tries I could get it to run until the storage was completely full then release the filled space. After that it's been fine, even when I filled it up again to less than 3GB free.

Same here - although I didn't need to reboot during the Forever Gone run.

Nexus 7 feels like new again :)

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky

When i ran it the one time, it got to 12.3m free (from 3.6g) and watchdog'ed the VM (Android rebooted, not the tablet) and when it came up it was at 10m free. I just went ahead and cleared the space and left it as-is.

I was semi curious to see if I watched it do the process again would it be smoother, since there were times it'd pause for 5-10 seconds even at the beginning of the process.. the last 100m took about 10 minutes before it finally froze for so long the watchdog timer rebooted the VM.

Doesn't hurt to do I suppose, at least not do once or twice. I wouldn't do it daily ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Recipe for Buttery Goodness

What's fsync and zRam?

fsync handles i/o reads/writes to and from the filesystem, zRAM is swap (basically) enabled from the kernel.

Do the OTA update to 4.1.1 if you're stock, then...

_motley's linaro-optimized kernel thread

From that thread, you need:

a) the 1.1.1 kernel of your choice
    b) the 1.0.5b kernel with ramdisk (if you're already running a custom ROM with init.d support, you don't need this, nor do you need to create /system/etc/init.d in a future step)

You'll also need:

a) root
    b) cwm
    c) busybox (absolute must, use the JRummy installer from play store and install the latest)
    d) some type of root-enabled text editor (I use root explorer)
    e) a full featured cpu/sd management app (I use System Tuner)

BEYOND THIS POINT, THERE BE DRAGONS. I'm not responsible if you FUBAR your device, but if you follow my instructions to the letter, you won't

1) install cwm and root your tab (if you haven't already)

2) reboot into CWM, flash the 1.0.5b kernel with ramdisk (if you're on stock or a stock-based ROM without init.d support), then immediately flash the 1.1.1 kernel you chose (gpu overclocking is nice and all, but I haven't found a game that doesn't run perfectly with the stock GPU speed of 416MHz..Looks great on benchmarks, though)

3) reboot back into JB, fire up root explorer, remount /system rw, create a folder in /system/etc called init.d (permissions rwxr-xr-x), create a file in it called S90zRAMandSpeedTweaks (permissions rwxrwxrwx), and long-press to open it in a text editor

4) make it look like this:

Code:
    #/system/bin/sh

#remount /data for faster i/o
    mount -o remount,noauto_da_alloc /data /data

#disable fsync (controversial, I've been doing it for years with no real issues)
    echo 0 > /sys/class/misc/fsynccontrol/fsync_enabled

#set zRAM size (change the 512 to 1024 for a full 1GB of swap, I use 512 because I'm on an 8gb and space is precious)
    echo $((1024*1024*512)) >  /sys/block/zram0/disksize

#use busybox to create and activate zram0, if busybox is not in /system/xbin, modify accordingly
    /system/xbin/busybox mkswap /dev/block/zram0
    /system/xbin/busybox swapon /dev/block/zram0
    It's important to leave at least one trailing line in scripts. Just trust me, it's a linux thing.
    *NOTE* The above script does NOT check to see if it was successful, but if you copied it directly and installed busybox to /system/xbin then it will work. Once you reboot in a few minutes, you can check by using the command "busybox free" from a terminal emulator or adb shell

5) Save the file, delete the .bak now in that folder, and close root explorer.

6) Open System Tuner, tap on the SD option, change cache to 1024 and scheduler to deadline

7) Tap the Voltage option and hit -25 4 times and save the settings as voltage_table_uv

8) Tap the CPU option and tap Boot Settings. For CPU and SD, set the method to init.d

9) Close System Tuner and reboot your device.

10 Profit/consume butter

It seems like a lot, but it really only takes about 15 minutes if you're a complete rooting n00b, and the end result is a buttery-smooth multitasking powerhouse (that blows iOS *away*). The 100mV undervolt also greatly extends battery life. I haven't had ANY issues at -100mV, but if you do, just increase it by hitting +25 on the voltage tab of System Tuner until you have something that works for you (in fact, you might want to start at -25mV and slowly grow it to -100mV, playing games and checking for instablity along the way)

It's also worth mentioning that if you're currently completely stock, you will need to unlock your bootloader to root and install CWM, and unlocking the bootloader wipes your device (no way around it, unfortunately. Hook your N7 up to your computer and backup the entire contents of /storage/sdcard0 to make restoring your data as painless as possible)

Hope this helps :)
    Looks good! How much free space on your device? And, could you please

mount | grep /data

We know that the discard option has been added, but has it been implemented?

Edit: About my sig. If my sig size overrides my helpfulness, BY ALL MEANS block me *rolls eyes until they come out of socket*

(This is an off-topic post, and the only one I've ever created on XDA, so feel free to skip past)

You come off as very mean spirited, hostile, and pretty douchey, to be honest.

Firstly, your sig is extremely unnecessary and doesn't do much to help the idea that XDA is a great environment to come to. Whereas other members use their sig to explain their device setups in order to further the community, you use yours as a divisive tool that discourages people from taking part in it.

Secondly, I have both an iMac and a Macbook Pro. They are both great computers in and of themselves, albeit they were a bit overpriced. I'm an audio engineer that works with multiple professional audio recording/production applications, and most all of them run better on OS X than on their Windows counterparts. I would argue that has more to do with the developers of those applications putting more work into making native OS X applications and then porting them after the fact to Windows, rather than OS X being a better platform altogether. But no matter what the reason is, quite simply I need to work on the platform that is going to give me the least amount of headaches, problems, and concerns when dealing with clients, clients who are giving me money to provide a service for them. And for me, the industry I work in, the industry standard is Apple computers.

Are you going to tell me that I don't belong here, and that you are so much better than me that I don't deserve your or anybody else's help? I've been on board with Android since the G1, in fact I bought it the day it was available. I love the platform. I also love the work that I'm involved with, and love the fact that I have the luxury of not fighting with my computers when I want to get work done.

Some of us need to use Apple products in our professional lives. Get over it, and quit being so elitist about it, please. Thank you.
    Not a single issue here... Google accomplished project butter in my opinion...

You may have an issue with the Tablet...
    So the new kernel source was just recently released, which reveals a lot of information about the issue.

First change:
    Code:
    mmc: set emmc vcore voltage to 3.0V

per EE's request, set eMMC core voltage to 3.0V.

*Shrug* I'm not sure what this does. From my very limited knowledge it seems like it maybe manually sets the voltage to 3.0V if the regulator fails to or vice-versa? I dunno. May be related to low I/O.

Second change:
    Code:
    mmc: core: new discard feature support at Samsung eMMC v4.41+.

Support discard feature if MID field in the CID register is 0x15, EXT.CSD[192]
    (device version) is 5 and Bit 0 in the EXT.CSD[64] is 1. Also removed REQ_SECURE flag
    check to avoid kernel hang.

This patch is released from samsung.

Here's the big one. Here's why the discard option caused hard lock ups for me and others who tried this on 4.1.1. Discard option didn't work on Samsung EMMC chips, which coincidentally, were the chips that were having the performance issues with low free space.

So that script or whatever someone posted to remount data with discard and to trigger discard? Yeah it doesn't look like it will actually do anything without a 4.1.2 kernel (unless your unaffected by the issue with a Hynix or Kingston chip instead of the Samsungs. In that case, adding discard will actually DECREASE performance based on the next change below)

Third Change:
    Code:
    mmc: card: Bypass discard for Hynix and Kingston

In order to change mount option,
    issuing discard request by chip to eliminate performance drop.

This causes this discard mount option to do nothing on Hynix and Kingston chips. The Kingston one is used for the 8GB chip and I would guess the Hynix is a 16GB chip that isn't as common than the Samsung chip, which explains why there were a few odd cases of people without this issue. It looks like there's a hardware issue with Samsung EMMC storage chips and the discard option is needed to prevent this problem from causing performance degradation. Using discard on the other chips interestingly enough causes performance to decrease.

(Side note: I very much doubt CM10 nightlies are using the new kernel source already. Probably 4.1.2 ROM with 4.1.1 kernel and ramdisk.)
    ^^^^

k I don't mean to be a **** but, if you're filling up the complete 16 GB's and noticing a huge drop is performance why are you filling it up completely then? wasn't this a huge issue BEFORE the tablet was release? weren't people complaining "oohhh its not enough space for me to do what I want to do with it, i wish it came with an SD card". Google wants to promote CLOUD storage. If you don't want to store **** on the cloud and yet still loading the thing up with 100 movies and a million apps than that's your damn problem. This isn't supposed to be a high performance machine where it can store that much garbage and perform like a ferrari for you. remember, google wants to promote cloud storage.

Good thought. I agree that Google wants to promote the use of Cloud storage. That's fine.

However, we purchased 16GB (in fact, 13GB user usable space only!) of storage space on the Nexus 7 and is it wrong that we want to use it all? It is like you paid some money to buy from Google 200GB of Cloud storage and then Google tells you that you can only use up to 180GB, otherwise your upload / download speed will be throttled????? Is this even logical?!?! Does it make sense? The answer is clearly no. There is a problem, and we are desperate to see a solution, or a workaround (no - factory reset is not a workaround).

All we are trying to find out is 1) whether the lag that we are seeing is indeed I/O related, 2) whether this is a hardware fault, and 3) whether there is a way to workaround this issue while hopefully Google is coming up with a software fix.

By the way, why would you say that people are storing "garbage" on the Nexus 7? A Gameloft game can easily chew up 2GB of storage space. Google Music isn't available in Australia, so Cloud storage isn't available. 13GB isn't much when you have a few big games and a collection of music files, plus a number of "pinned" Google Movies. No one is talking about making the device runs faster. I guess most of us would not expect the Nexus 7 would perform dramatically poorer just because the local storage is filled up. A bit slower is OK, but not from 10MB/s to 0.2MB/s...