[-::STOCK::-] SGH-T889 Factory Images, Roms, Kernels, & Modems (Updated 06/02/13)

Search This thread

papabear

May 10, 2007
Hell
I almost want to flash back to your deodexed k8 and the new modem and see if my speeds stay higher.
And you can tell that how? This was just released today.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
If he flashed the new rom/modem and signal/quality etc was not as good. And flashed back that is good enough proof. When I had my S2 I flashed 3 or 4 different modems before I found which one worked best. Depends on the area as well.
If we flash the new modem or kernal does that effect the bootloader in any fashion? Im worried about it being locked again?
No, flash whatever you want. I have never had issues with this.

sino8r

Sep 7, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
For RILS? ;)

Does anyone know specifically what RILs the Note 2 uses? I found a little bit of info via searching somewhere in the SGSIII section but there seemed to be a few minor but possibly crucial differences. There also seemed to be some different rils between 4.1.1 and 4.1.2? Sorry, I'm new to Samsung and am familiar with HTCs and their stuff. Some might have sec in the rils somewhere also but not sure. I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to figure this out or anything, right? Any thoughts folks? Thanks in advance!

I guess I should mention this also for those who have no idea what I'm talking about. Ril files should match the baseband aka (radio or modem) and using the rils from the rom the modem was ripped from sometimes helps your radio preform better. You won't get a stronger signal but tower handoffs on the phone's end (ever had a dropped call? Typically from a failed handoff) might work better and possibly increased data speeds. Again, it doesn't improve signal but makes it handle better. A decent analogy is getting your wheels balanced after changing tires on a car.

I'm downloading the latest 4.1.1 (VALL4) to compare RILs from my rom which is 4.1.2 (JediX8) and will get back with everyone on what I found...

UPDATE: I found out that the suspected files all match in name so that's not a issue, thank goodness! That would have made this a big mess. That doesn't mean that the rils weren't revised with the new modem which means there will be a benefit of matching rils to radio if you flash vall4 modem only obviously. These are the suspected rils files needed and I think there might be more or less. Please anyone chime in on with their opinions...

libsecril-client.so
libril.so
libreference-ril.so
libril-qc-qmi-1.so
libril-qcril-hook-oem.so

The first 3 I am sure of obviously but the last two as suspect. The only reason I mentioned those is because of they are radio interface layer files (I do realize not all rils pertain to modem only;)) and they were mentioned in the build.prop. that doesn't necessarily mean it's modem related but it seems possible. That's why I need some others to look at these and help me decide. I'm sure matching rils will help those wanting to update their modem only for now and future updates. Thanks again for any input! And btw, the new modem seems to be working as well if not better than the old one imo. One final thought though.. why don't we have a libsec-ril.so? Every rom has one on other devices (htc and other devices too named something similar) and they are a larger size around 700kb or so. All these three files we have are way too small to be the only modem rils. I doubt the last two should be used but we are missing a larger ril possibly named something else. I'll have to wait and see what yall think;)

Last edited:

LunarSoul

Jul 15, 2008
Re: [-::STOCK::-] SGH-T889 Kernels and Modems - Last Updated (01/16/13)

This might be a little off topic but I rooted a while back and now I don't know how to update to the latest T-mobile update without losing root or my apps. Is the stock T-mobile multi window update on XDA? Can I use these kernels and modems meanwhile for the patches or do I have to update the Rom?

Baenwort

Mar 31, 2008
VALL4 and VALk8 are the stock T-mobile multi-window updates and can be found in the first post above. You can update the modem seperately from the ROM you are running. The Kernel and the Rom can not be updated seperately. You pick the rom that has the Kernel you want.

LunarSoul

Jul 15, 2008
Re: [-::STOCK::-] SGH-T889 Kernels and Modems - Last Updated (01/16/13)

Never mind got it. Thanks!

Thanks for answering. Really helpful.

Last edited:

sino8r

Sep 7, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Yes.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Hey teshxx, you seem like a knowledgeable fella. Do you know much about modem related RIL lib files?
My Samsung knowledge is extremely new;) Sorry lol! These are the only ones I know for sure are modem related ones...

libsecril-client.so
libril.so
libreference-ril.so

The ONLY thing is we seem to be missing a larger size (typically 700kish) on typically named libsecril file or some thing to that effect...
It must be named something else cause it's not too obvious to me and I've scan through quite a few different roms looking. I just wanted to match the vall4 rils to the new modem for various rom usage. Thanks for any idea!

govindar77

Feb 25, 2007
New Jersey
Post #1 updated with Factory Images and Roms. You will find all the stuff for T889 from me here. All in one kinda thread.

Thanks for you hard work, Teshxx

I have a question.

If I install a custom ROM from the GT-N7100 thread, and then flash the Modem file in recovery, will the phone work.

I ask because I used to have a GT-N7100 and loved a ROM there, but now it broke and I'm probably getting a TMobile version one.
I would still prefer to use that ROM.

teshxx

Jul 19, 2010
FL
Thanks for you hard work, Teshxx

I have a question.

If I install a custom ROM from the GT-N7100 thread, and then flash the Modem file in recovery, will the phone work.

I ask because I used to have a GT-N7100 and loved a ROM there, but now it broke and I'm probably getting a TMobile version one.
I would still prefer to use that ROM.

Thanks! 7100 roms won't work on t889 and vise versa.

V@no

Sep 24, 2007
Would be nice if OP included Android versions of each rom. Is T889UVALL4 v4.1.1 or 4.1.2 - this is kind of important too...

Thanks.

theoilman

Dec 7, 2010
I just got the Note 2 Smart Dock, and I was having some trouble getting it to work. after some trial and error, I figured out it's the L4 modem that's screwing up the connection- I have no idea why. if I have data off and wifi on and dock the phone, an alert pops up that the modem has crashed, but after I hit OK the phone and dock sync fine. if I have data on, the phone and dock don't sync at all, and I never get the crash error. not sure what's up with that. not a huge deal since I can still get everything to work, but worth posting in case someone has a similar problem or can think of a fix.

Reactions: Cell-Phone-Mick
Jul 26, 2006
Reboot loop...

I have a T889 which had CM10.1 nightly installed. It had significant issues (no bluetooth streaming tags, video problems in some apps) so I wanted to try stock. I restarted in recovery mode and installed T889UVALL4 deodexed, cleared the cache and the dalvik cache and restarted. Now my phone is stuck in a reboot loop. What did I do wrong? Did I do something REALLY stupid?

Top Liked Posts