[Flash Counter Reset][AT&T, Rogers, Telus, Bell] Reset your flash counter

Search This thread

StyleUkno

Feb 27, 2011
Lawndale
Awesome! thanks Braway. I would donate but i am banned from Paypal :(...loong story short i was scammed by a Nigerian and my account was banned.

s1mpd1ddy

Feb 24, 2011
donated what little I could... It's not much but it's a start.

You the man Braway.

Unique Transaction ID # 4SM31194WL726760V

Dsmforlife92

Feb 4, 2011
Carson City
Just flashed and worked perfect, thanks for your hard work. I hope you can get the note soon, I will be donating on Friday when I get paid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

DAGr8

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
Montreal
Awesome! thanks Braway. I would donate but i am banned from Paypal :(...loong story short i was scammed by a Nigerian and my account was banned.

I will check and see when we have another upgrade coming up. I dont mind using one To get him one.

I dont think it is until august tho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA App

well the admins have locked down a second bounty thread so we gonan look for anohter method to get him a note .. in the meantime

Confirmation number: 5BV38954VG871803B

Rocket42

Jul 22, 2011
Red Bluff, Ca
Wow. You cease to amaze me. Thank you very much. I did donate to you about a month ago but i am deff going to try to send u a lil somthing again.

Again....many thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

My Note's not rooted (yet) and even when I do root I won't have to sweat the flash counter but this is incredibly helpful to the community as a whole so I had to throw a bit your way to hopefully help get a device in your hands or at least buy you a <insert preferred beverage here>

1VM84763126840317

Jesse6749

May 1, 2010
T.B.A
Thanks Braway!!!, I just flashed this and my counter went from 5 to 0.
I atached a pic of my counter being back to 0 :p.

Attachments

• IMG_104013.jpg
    IMG_104013.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 1,150

pj_rage

Feb 14, 2012
Just to clarify based on your fun facts... this will reset the flash counter, but Samsung will still know that we had flashed the device with *something* (but may not know what)? So they could theoretically still deny warranty based on that even if the flash counter says 0?

Or does resetting the flash counter prevent Samsung from knowing anything about us ever flashing the device?

It wasn't clear if the fun facts were pre or post flash counter removal, or both, that's all.

Thanks for your hard work.

ukic

Feb 23, 2012
or does resetting the flash counter prevent Samsung from knowing anything about us ever flashing the device?

This.

Once again, no bounty was posted. No request for funding for the said device. This dev doesn't own the device but still got a working mod. Braway deserves these damn donations. Great work man. Tyvm.

sashusmom

May 10, 2008
North Jersey
WOW!!!! Great Job Braway!!!!!! Thank you so much for your unselfish work on this phone! You are appreciated. And I would love to help put a note in your hands!!! Someone take the reigns on this and let's see how far we can get.

keilbaca

Dec 21, 2010
Wyano, PA
Amazing work. I can now flash TPC Note onto my Note and not have to worry about triggering the counter. Major props, and I can't wait until we can get a note in your hands, to see what you can do with it :D

Jesse6749

May 1, 2010
T.B.A
Ukic - Yeah I agree and is why I donated to Braway last week on his CWM recovery thread as a thank you for his great work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all, big thanks to mastibeta for testing and confirming that it works.

Disclaimer
    This is a dangerous method and could potentially brick your phone. The CWM update makes it a bit more foolproof, but if something fails, it is not my responsibility!

AT&T i717, Rogers i717R, Telus i717D & Bell i717M ONLY! (according to jpeg42, it also works with the ics leak)

Description
    This resets the flash counter (kernel/recovery/... flashed through Odin) back to stock.

How to use
    Download the zip file. Its an update-zip for cwm.
    Put it on your sdcard, boot into recovery and flash it.

Fun Fact
    - Samsung knows how many kernels/recoveries you've flashed through odin.
    - The single counters are up to 255, so theoretically you can "reset" by flashing 256 of each (Samsung will still know you flashed something)
    - Samsung knows what was the last thing you've flashed
    - Flashing System is not counted.

Image (Thanks to sfb14)

Thanks to
    Dagr8, Ciku, bigbiff, lpsi2000 - for providing the data to figure this out
    Tearrek, loftydan - for rogers data
    Jckpsa - for telus data
    MrJoran - for bell data
    mastibeta - for testing the first version it

Download
    Thanks

Was a scary 10 seconds, but it definitely works. Need to get this man a Gnote.
    Just to clarify based on your fun facts... this will reset the flash counter, but Samsung will still know that we had flashed the device with *something* (but may not know what)? So they could theoretically still deny warranty based on that even if the flash counter says 0?

Or does resetting the flash counter prevent Samsung from knowing anything about us ever flashing the device?

It wasn't clear if the fun facts were pre or post flash counter removal, or both, that's all.

Thanks for your hard work.

maybe I wasn't clear enough, i'll try to clarify it

if you flash through odin (like a kernel or recovery) a counter will increase.
    basically there is a counter for every kernel flash, for every recovery flash
    and possibly for other flashes as well (modem, ...) (not for system though)

So basically samsung (or someone who knows how to read that stuff) can tell at least the following data:
    - did you flash something custom
    - how many kernels and recoveries (and possibly other stuff) did you flash
    - what was flashed last (like was a kernel flashed the last time)

the method described in the op resets that data back to stock, so basically samsung should not be able to tell that you flashed anything custom anymore
    of course, if you leave a custom rom on the phone, then they will still be able to tell... ;)
    Again...accomplished with no device. Mad props

I am completely broke but sending a donation man. Cant wait to see what you accomplish with a device

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA App

im gonan post a bounty for this guy to get a note ..
    back to stock with reset

Huh? Flash thru clockwork or manually thru clockwork? Same thing there.. I guess we need to know can it be flashed thru stock Samsung recovery. This will truly reset it to factory look. Otherwise wouldn't you push it to 1 when you Odin the stock recovery back in afterflashing this in cwm?

sent from my Samsung Galaxy tab

ok, simple guide:

requires that cwm is installed!

1. flash stock system, kernel, modem and so on (not recovery yet) through odin (or cwm, if you have that stuff as update.zip)
    2. flash this reset through cwm to reset the counter (now you should have everything stock, except for recovery)
    3. in cwm, now you can either flash a stock recovery using an update.zip (if you have it), OR follow this:
    a) extract recovery.img from the odin stock recovery tar file
    b) put it on your sdcard
    c) boot to cwm
    d) use adb to connect to cwm (adb shell)
    e) in the cwm shell, use one of the following commands:
    recovery.img on external sdcard:
    Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22
    recovery.img on your internal sdcard:
    Code:
    dd if=/emmc/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22
    WARNING: a typo in that line could hard brick your phone!

f) reboot

now you should have everything stock, with no counter, and so on...

Note: i haven't tested that, but that's how it should work...
    as usual, i give no guarantees :p