Stupid Questions Thread- No Question too stupid! I promise!

Do you think this thread is helping with unneeded threads from popping up?

• Yes! less threads asking common or stupid stuff

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • No. but Like the idea

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • NO! Hate everything about this thread!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

nubreed000

Jan 24, 2012
Do I lose all my settings, apps, etc if I install the latest version of a ROM such as Cyanogen? I'm on CM10 "M1 release" from a couple weeks ago and would like to upgrade to the latest nightly...however, if I have to reconfigure everything from scratch I'm definitely passing on it.

SmakBerry

Feb 24, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Did you back up apps+data with myback up pro. And the pro version is the one that allows you to switch phones. I don't think that being unrooted would stop you from restoring data but it might. Also you must specifically choose apps+data when restoring.
Yep, I did, and one app in particular it didn't even find in the list and when I restored, it didn't restore any app data. Not sure if there's something I was doing wrong. I have the backup files from titanium, but don't even know if there's a way of loading onto the new device.

LiquidSolstice

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2008
Hey guys. Evo LTE user here, but I'm looking to root a friend's GS3. I'm quite the veteran when it comes to rooting, but I've never really worked with Samsung devices so far. I have a few questions that I'm hoping can be answered.

1. Can CWM flash everything? By that, I mean, can it flash the kernel and the modem as well? Some posts seem to indicate that only Odin can flash the kernel/modem/recovery and others suggest that CWM can do it all. I hope it's CWM!

2. On the Evo, we have an executable RUU that's run when the phone is connected to the computer and that fully restores a phone back to stock. What are the preferred options for reverting my friend back to stock? I see this thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1902178. Can I simply flash any of those through CWM to bring him back to stock, or do I need to use Odin?

3. I'm intending on performing all the root/unlock/busybox stuff using MSkip's amazing toolkit (I've already used it on my brother's GNex and my own Nexus 7). Is that's all that's required?

EVOme

Jun 3, 2010
Why after transferring pics to my SD card do I get an error about I need WinXP sp3 or something about kies. Then now when I go in gallery I see my PC/username above my folders. I cannot remove it.

myrez

Dec 17, 2011
OTA update issue

I used mobile Odin to install CWM touch. Seems like CWM is interfering with the OTA update. How do I get around this? I have yet to update my ATT GS3.

sulihpoeht

Sep 10, 2012
So far, the only ROMs I have been trying are the CM10 ones, which don't require you to do a Nandroid backup. I see a lot of other android development threads tell you to make one. Is making a nandroid backup fully necessary, or can we just do it the same way CM10 works? which is basically use titanium backup for the apps, and then redo the rest of the data by yourself...

(In other words Im just wondering if i can just use a regular system backup instead of a nandroid backup because its much less work for me atm)

Last edited:

jethro650

Dec 17, 2010
So far, the only ROMs I have been trying are the CM10 ones, which don't require you to do a Nandroid backup. I see a lot of other android development threads tell you to make one. Is making a nandroid backup fully necessary, or can we just do it the same way CM10 works? which is basically use titanium backup for the apps, and then redo the rest of the data by yourself...

(In other words Im just wondering if i can just use a regular system backup instead of a nandroid backup because its much less work for me atm)

No you don't have to make a nandroid, BUT, it is suggested for a reason. If you have no nandroid and you get a bad ROM download and flash and get a non booting phone what are you going to do? Sure you can fix it....DL and Odin flashable rom, get Odin running on computer, flash back to stock, start all over, provided you near a computer, but what if your not near a computer? If you took the few minutes to make a nandroid ( a few extra choices in recovery) you could, in the above situation) just pull the battery, boot into recovery, restore the nandroid you made, presto, working phone again. Pretty easy peace of mind I'd say.
So, I would suggest keeping at least one known working nandroid on your SD card "just in case". Most people, including myself make a nandroid every time they flash, just delete older ones with a file explorer after each successful flash. Sorry to be so long winded lol.

---------- Post added at 04:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 AM ----------

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a giant Gobstopper? TIA.

Still trying to get an answer on this one lmao, giant is right :eek::p tongue is getting sore....

Reactions: sulihpoeht

resrevni

Feb 14, 2011
Can someone tell me where to get the flashable zip to go back to the original modem? I'm on ATT. I flashed I747UCLH9 and I'm getting 10MB/s instead of the 14MB/s I was getting before.

I'm guessing that restoring a CWM backup doesn't revert the modem back? I tried that and I'm still on *H9.

Damn.

jethro650

Dec 17, 2010

blackdiamondbobo

Jul 2, 2012
Verizon to ATT port

Hello, Im trying to figure out how hard it would be to port a ROM for verizon over to ATT. I want Miui.us rom on my S3 problem being ATT seems to be at the bottom of their list. that being said with the tools out there for replacing the IMEI, Radios and Modem on this site, how much more should I have to alter to get it to work? I figure Samsung wouldn't allow for too many hardware/software changes to be made between carries other than say those I just listed above.sorry if this has been answered before (Ive tried searching google, this thread specifically, and the entire forum. I may just be retarded in knowing how to word the search)

thank you for any help you can provide

AntiCommon

Sep 5, 2011
Can anyone please explain to me how to get to the screen where you unlock your GS3? I just got a straight talk sim and need to unlock it so that it will work on their network, (which is really just the ATT network I was just on... go figure) and the normal 'boot with incompatible sim card' method doesn't show an unlock sim card screen for me on boot. (I think this has to do with the fact that straight talk wont activate my card until I unlock my phone, and I can't unlock my phone until I activate my card.)

Any ideas? This is getting me all flustered as I've been without service for over a week now.

Rocket Nine

Jun 30, 2012
Can anyone please explain to me how to get to the screen where you unlock your GS3? I just got a straight talk sim and need to unlock it so that it will work on their network, (which is really just the ATT network I was just on... go figure) and the normal 'boot with incompatible sim card' method doesn't show an unlock sim card screen for me on boot. (I think this has to do with the fact that straight talk wont activate my card until I unlock my phone, and I can't unlock my phone until I activate my card.)

Any ideas? This is getting me all flustered as I've been without service for over a week now.

I paid about $20 for an unlock code at cellunlocker.net. I think the international version has an app that will unlock it for free, but AT&T GS3 owners aren't so lucky.

tsol

Sep 29, 2012
Canada/Bell questions

Hey

Stupid ques:

1) Any recommendations what I should rip from a stock install of a Bell Samsung G3? (SGH-I747)
I want to rip out as much spyware as possible, and experiment with Redphone (yes, I know it's US only but I'm experimenting with the source code/sms forwarding).

2) There isn't any Carrier IQ-like rootkits in Bell stock roms is there?

3) Alternatively is there already a rom floating around that comes with all bloat and spyware pre-nuked? :)

4) Any recommendations to permanently disable the GPS?

Thanks, big ups to the stupid ques thread.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is for those who have what they may feel is a stupid or simple question. Please read through the thread and use the search first. I know Google doesn't always like to make it easy to find answers, so lets work together to give answers where we can. And please remember you will be reported for flaming others.

Remember, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

Thanks goes to lumin30 for coming up with this idea. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1494423
    Hi.

What do batteries run on?

Also, if I melt some dry ice, can I liquid cool my phone without it getting wet?
    have to answ
    Theres a little pink bunny beating on a big bass drum. The faster he beats the more electricity your battery puts out. When he gets tired you plug your phone up so he can rest. You know he's well rested when you see 100%. Then he does it all over again. Amazing. Someone else will have to answer your dry ice question. dry ice floats
    have to answ
    Theres a little pink bunny beating on a big bass drum. The faster he beats the more electricity your battery puts out. When he gets tired you plug your phone up so he can rest. You know he's well rested when you see 100%. Then he does it all over again. Amazing.

Amazing times we live in with miniature pink robot bunnies keeping our phones running! Wish my eyes were smaller so I could see inside of the battery and say "HI BUNNAY! THANKYOU!" :)

Someone else will have to answer your dry ice question. dry ice floats

It floats?! Are you thinking what I'm thinking? If we strap some ice to our phone and hold on tight we can float up to the cottoncandy clouds and eat all we want! Yum
    Is there a way to mute/remove the freaking annoying chime/bell sound that the dialer makes when connecting the the line when dialing a number ?
    open dialer, hit menu, settings/call alert/call status tones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Hi.

What do batteries run on?

Also, if I melt some dry ice, can I liquid cool my phone without it getting wet?