Verizon Moto G Unlock Bootloader / Root?

Search This thread

tmittelstaedt

Aug 26, 2012
Has anyone tried everything on 4.3? I just got the xt1028 on clearance from staples for $16.50 and it's still on 4.3. I haven't and wont upgrade.

Wowl you are a lucky dog! You can temproot with PIE and then unlock the bootloader with Sunshine. The 4.3 will update to 4.4.2. Then it will download the update from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 so you want to get your bootloader unlocked before then.

will5234

Feb 23, 2015
I was able to purchase one last night at my local Best Buy after proving to them that they were in fact somewhere in the store, and waiting for them to call their Verizon rep, I just attempted the bootloader unlock on the Motorola Developer (official bootloader unlock) and I can confirm that it is not eligible for unlock at this time. :( Huge letdown for me as I was gonna get one for myself soon, but the wife won't really care about it being unlocked so for her it's still a good deal. :)

I was about to do same and found unlock codes before I purchased...

I went to eBay and some guy on there provides unlock codes for MOTO G for 3.00$ USD

PARANOUS

Jan 17, 2012
Brunsick
I was about to do same and found unlock codes before I purchased...

I went to eBay and some guy on there provides unlock codes for MOTO G for 3.00$ USD
I second this, provide link and proof, rather than just statements...
I've searched long and hard, high and low, and could find nothing anywhere for the Verizon Moto G, As of this writing i'm resort to hunting for exploits to achive the unlock, as there is no way it's impossible. The manufacturer must have codes... even if Verizon requested the option disabled on the site...

Chrono86

Nov 3, 2008
I found the person on ebay selling the $3.00 "unlock codes"

They're CARRIER unlock codes, not BOOTLOADER

ItachiLvrX

Oct 23, 2012
If I unlock the bootloader and pay 25 bucks, can I attain permanent root? If not what's the point of unlocking the bootloader?

PARANOUS

Jan 17, 2012
Brunsick
To who and where are you paying $25 to unlock your boot loader?
And Yes.... obviously... The issue is not that you can not root but that due too the locked boot loader you can not root.....

PARANOUS

Jan 17, 2012
Brunsick
The DEV for Sunshine "Stated" that it DOES NOT work for CDMA MotoG with KikKat / 4.4.4 ... Simply reading other forums or even the main Thread for Sunshine it even says it directly in it's notes. It's been broke since 4.2.X ...

ItachiLvrX

Oct 23, 2012
To who and where are you paying $25 to unlock your boot loader?
And Yes.... obviously... The issue is not that you can not root but that due too the locked boot loader you can not root.....

I was talking about sunshine. That's where the 25 bucks came into play. But apparently it doesn't work on 4.4.2 which makes me sad. It's a good phone, would be amazing phone with root.

phirephoto

Oct 27, 2009
Ditto to me if anyone has it.

---------- Post added at 08:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

Ditto to me if anyone has it.

Per an IRC chat with the devs, the current version of sunshine includes the legacy versions, and it's actually the server that's legacy, and that server is no longer operational. They don't support the Moto G Prepaid on 4.4.4, and don't currently have any plans to do so. :(

Dalton334

Jun 12, 2015
Temp root

Does anyone know if the Verizon version of the Moto G can be easily unlocked and rooted like the GSM version? Knowing Verizon's track record with locked down devices I wouldn't be surprised if it can't be unlocked. I'm thinking about buying one as a wifi/media device for my car, but I'd also like to play around with dev on it so a non-unlockable bootloader would be a deal breaker.
I achieved temp root while using KingRoot. It said I was rooted, then about 5 minutes later I was filling with twrp and cmw and it just went away.

bmeek

Jun 2, 2007
A data point as of August 10, 2015 - I just purchased a "factory refurbished" Verizon Moto G via ebay ($34.99), and I found it was still running the v4.4.2 build. When I connected WiFi, I saw the Motorola OTA app immediately start downloading an update, so I killed that app since I had heard it updates to v4.4.4 without asking. I disconnected from WiFi so that I could take my time, get adb working, get rooted (used Motorola Pie by jcase) and pay sunshine for unlocking the bootloader.

tiger.railgun

Apr 1, 2016
WholisticAppraoches.net
Where is the 'Allow OEM Unlock' in Developer Options on the Moto G3?

Tried to run the command: " $ fastboot oem unlock UNIQUE_KEY " and this shows:

" ... INFOCheck 'Allow OEM Unlock' in Developer Opti
ons.
FAILED (remote failure)
"

Moto G3 has Android 6.0 though 'Allow OEM Unlock' is not on the Developer options above USB Debugging.

Thanks for any help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's actually available in some Best Buys right now and I think I've seen a few people say they've picked one up. I also updated the OP to use the right terminology though I'm sure everyone knew what I meant anyway.

I was able to purchase one last night at my local Best Buy after proving to them that they were in fact somewhere in the store, and waiting for them to call their Verizon rep, I just attempted the bootloader unlock on the Motorola Developer (official bootloader unlock) and I can confirm that it is not eligible for unlock at this time. :( Huge letdown for me as I was gonna get one for myself soon, but the wife won't really care about it being unlocked so for her it's still a good deal. :)
    it's really starting to piss me off that we can't unlock the bootloader. i'm basically new to the Android world, started with Nexus 4, then Nexus 5 and now the Moto G... although i'm new to the game, i'm loving it way more than iOS and iPhone... and was able to successfully unlock and root both my Nexus 4 and 5, as well as my Nexus 7... just wish there were some way around this with VERIZON... they are really making me want to throw this phone through a window and go back to my N5 or just go Moto X!

Pay 45 dollars and get unlock code. if you want it so badly.
    Verizon is ONE BIG PILE Horse-Chit.. I hate that company with a passion...

So I moved my Family to T-Mo and bought 2 Nexus 5's and 2 Moto G's!

I will NEVER-EVER go back to Verizon... EVER!

They are the most archaic, backward and Xpensive carrier in North America

Pleas do yourself a favor and leave that - HORRIBLE effin COMPANY

P.S. I REPEAT - I will NEVER-EVER go back to Verizon... EVER

Visit this site and read the horror stories: http://verizarape.com/

:D

This really is not the place for carrier hate.

I weighed all my options and VZW won out.

Many of us purchased the verizon Moto G, and are looking forward to the rooting / unlocking .. etc.
    XT1028

First time here on XDA. Us Verizon customers finally have received the 4.4.2 kitkat update! How can we find some way to unlock the bootloader and also achieve root? I really hope that all of us bought the phone don't get screwed, If we find out that unlocking the bootloader and root are impossible, I bet all of us will be kicking our self in the gonads and should have just bought the GSM model. Please someone help. Thanks in advance.
    Crazy that there has been nothing for this phone. Every other variant is rootable and boot loader unlock from oem. Really disappointed with this phone. Just picked up a G3.

Sir..its NOT the phone, its the carrier..Moto builds what the carriers ask for..
    I own an unlocked bootloader XT1028 (via the Chinaman process)..it being a CDMA device, and 3G only, development isn't very appealing..

Sent by my Motorola Droid XYBoard MZ617-32 10.1_ICS 4.04