[Q] Can someone explain to me the Android File System

Search This thread

n0xide

Sep 18, 2013
So, I'm trying to understand how and why the file system acts the way it does.

Example. I have

/sdcard
and this has a bunch of stuff under it

then i have

/sdcard/0
this has some of the same stuff under it as /sdcard, but is a different file system

Why can I not just have a simple file system that I can understand! I seem to have issues with space because sometimes wiping the phone does not wipe the /sdcard/0 so I am working out of /sdcard/0 as opposed to the base of /sdcard

Any help? I am an idiot so explain like I'm 5, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013

Example. I have

/sdcard

then i have

/sdcard/0
this has some of the same stuff under it as /sdcard, but is a different file system

Why can I not just have a simple file system that I can understand! I seem to have issues with space because sometimes wiping the phone does not wipe the /sdcard/0 so I am working out of /sdcard/0 as opposed to the base of /sdcard

Thanks in advance.

5 year old explanation.

4.3 and above Android systems implement a multi user file setup similar to what Windows and OSx uses. The 0 folder is your account, your significant other could be 1, your dog could be 2, this keeps going depending how many users are registered to the device. It's actual intent is to use multi user on a tablet interface, not a phone, but because jellybean is used on both phones and tablets the file structure is the same.

Normally you don't have to worry about much of this, but if you came from 4.1 jellybean then multiuser wasn't implemented yet. This would double up your data in both places.

To me it sounds like you're OK, it's going to show double files because it's essentially reading the exact same folder, the format isn't going to understand what you're trying to do because it doesn't really know where to look for your data files. Basically, leave your 0 folder alone because that's where your data is supposed to be stored.

Was that 5 year old enough?

Edit: if you format your internal SD card in your recovery, then you'll erase the doubled data, and your folder structure will be repopulated under the 0 folder system. If you're running out of internal storage that's what you should do. Then clean flash the rom of your choice following the format.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: n0xide

n0xide

Sep 18, 2013
5 year old explanation.

4.3 and above Android systems implement a multi user file setup similar to what Windows and OSx uses. The 0 folder is your account, your significant other could be 1, your dog could be 2, this keeps going depending how many users are registered to the device. It's actual intent is to use multi user on a tablet interface, not a phone, but because jellybean is used on both phones and tablets the file structure is the same.

Normally you don't have to worry about much of this, but if you came from 4.1 jellybean then multiuser wasn't implemented yet. This would double up your data in both places.

To me it sounds like you're OK, it's going to show double files because it's essentially reading the exact same folder, the format isn't going to understand what you're trying to do because it doesn't really know where to look for your data files. Basically, leave your 0 folder alone because that's where your data is supposed to be stored.

Yeah! That's a pretty solid explanation! I couldn't seem to find anywhere that broke it down that way.

So let me ask one more 5 year old question.

I seem to have TONS of space used up on my SD card, that I cannot free up.

I have a 16Gig GSIII, when I attach my phone to windows, I have 7gb free of 12gb. I just wiped system, cache, and dalvik, and have a clean version of Beanstalk 4.4.2.

How am I using 5gb when the OS itself is only, ~199Mb.

Is there anyway to have a completely clean install? Even when I soft bricked, and then revived w/odin and an old kernal, I don't think it was totally clean.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah! That's a pretty solid explanation! I couldn't seem to find anywhere that broke it down that way.

I have a 16Gig GSIII, when I attach my phone to windows, I have 7gb free of 12gb. I just wiped system, cache, and dalvik, and have a clean version of Beanstalk 4.4.2.

Is there anyway to have a completely clean install? Even when I soft bricked, and then revived w/odin and an old kernal, I don't think it was totally clean.

Yup! I just told you in my post edit, left that out by accident.

Reactions: n0xide

n0xide

Sep 18, 2013

Thanks again! Great answers, and just the info I need! :)

So, to format it in CWM. I would go to

Mounts and Storage

format /data

or

format /data and /data/media (/sdcard)

i assume I don't touch

format /cache or format /system

and.. last thing I promise, how do I make sure I keep a copy of gaaps and a rom on the sdcard, if I format it?

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Thanks again! Great answers, and just the info I need! :)

So, to format it in CWM. I would go to

Mounts and Storage

format /data

or

format /data and /data/media (/sdcard)

i assume I don't touch

format /cache or format /system

and.. last thing I promise, how do I make sure I keep a copy of gaaps and a rom on the sdcard, if I format it?

You can't keep anything on the SD card after formatting, it'll be completely wiped clean, but you should do the second option. Also you should always format system when you clean flash a rom anyway.

I'd use an external SD card to flash the rom from. Alternatively, you could sideload the rom (if you know how). I don't know how.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Example. I have

/sdcard

then i have

/sdcard/0

Thanks in advance.

5 year old explanation.

Edit: if you format your internal SD card in your recovery, then you'll erase the doubled data, and your folder structure will be repopulated under the 0 folder system. If you're running out of internal storage that's what you should do. Then clean flash the rom of your choice following the format.