[Q] D802T How do I root and install custom recovery?

Search This thread

keyman91

Feb 17, 2011
Can someone please confirm if the following steps are definitely working for rooting 802T?

I don't want to install a new rom. Just want the phone rooted so I can get rid of the stupid bloatwares that LG decided to disable the disable key in their wisdom. Will the above steps suffice? Do I still run towelroot?

Cheers
Edit: Phone has official 4.4.2

If you only want root you can run either TowelRoot or StumpRoot. Either exploit should work fine on the D802T. No need to flash any ROMs.

ipv89

Nov 5, 2014
Hi All,

Does the method described in this tread work? I am a little confused there seems to be conflicting results.

nobrixkthxbai

Apr 29, 2013
If you only want root you can run either TowelRoot or StumpRoot. Either exploit should work fine on the D802T. No need to flash any ROMs.

Hey man just wanted to quickly say THANKS.

Didn't realise rooting itself was so simple and straight forward with stumproot. Less than 5 mins to download, read the instructions and run... and root. Bloatware gone. YAY. No more goddamn remote widget.

Ipv

Nov 6, 2014

Didn't realise rooting itself was so simple and straight forward with stumproot. Less than 5 mins to download, read the instructions and run... and root. Bloatware gone. YAY. No more goddamn remote widget.

Hey how did you uninstall the apps aftwr rooting ?

nobrixkthxbai

Apr 29, 2013
Hey how did you uninstall the apps aftwr rooting ?

Just used supersu and system app remover, both from play store. Just disabled the apps I could and deleted the rest like weather and quicktranslator. The whole process was (thankfully) very straightforward.

No more annoying popup/system hog. Running at almost 1gb memory free on official 4.4.2. Probably nothing compared to stock rom but big improvement from ~700mb before.

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 AM ----------

I do have a follow up question of my own: is there an equally simple and effective unroot option?

Need to unroot for an official ota update. It seems to be a minor update and the device is otherwise working great so only going to bother with it if the unroot is a simple process as well.

Ipv

Nov 6, 2014

Just used supersu and system app remover, both from play store. Just disabled the apps I could and deleted the rest like weather and quicktranslator. The whole process was (thankfully) very straightforward.

No more annoying popup/system hog. Running at almost 1gb memory free on official 4.4.2. Probably nothing compared to stock rom but big improvement from ~700mb before.

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 AM ----------

I do have a follow up question of my own: is there an equally simple and effective unroot option?

Need to unroot for an official ota update. It seems to be a minor update and the device is otherwise working great so only going to bother with it if the unroot is a simple process as well.

Thanks for that it would be good if these devices could run cm or any custom rom. Not sure about the un root sory. You might have to re flash stock rom

poochewer

Account currently disabled
Jul 14, 2008
GB
meettomy.site
flash euro open on d802t

I've already tried this, did this work for you? cause if it did i'll try again.
All I want to do is turn my D802t into a simple D802, using a euro open kdz.
I read that when I flash a euro open kdz, i also need to flash a d802 baseband.
But how do I flash a baseband when I dont have a recovery?
Any help or instructions would be really appreciated.

Lemonato

Aug 19, 2009
All I want to do is turn my D802t into a simple D802, using a euro open kdz.
I read that when I flash a euro open kdz, i also need to flash a d802 baseband.
But how do I flash a baseband when I dont have a recovery?
Any help or instructions would be really appreciated.

Well after stuffing around with my D820t for half of the day, I have finally have a custom ROM running (ResurrectionRemix 5.24 Lollipop).

Went through the same process as everyone else before finding this thread. So here's what worked for me (starting from stock Australia D802T20D_00.kdz)

1. Rooted with ioroot
2. TWRP installed using autorec - doesn't matter if you use d802 or d802t version we know neither work properly.
3. Booted into recovery and wiped cache/dalvik
4. Installed kitkat baseband from the cloudyg3 thread
5. Installed ResurrectionRemix rom and gapps
6. Wiped cache and dalvik again
7. Reboot

So far it's been solid, no random reboots or FCs, and I get to enjoy lollipop!
@poochewer - Although I did not try it out, perhaps you could do the same up until step 4 and then boot into download mode and try to flash the Europe d802 kdz. Not sure if this would work, so very much at your own risk - I would hate for you to get stuck if it then doesn't accept the Europe or the Aus kdz as the baseband has changed.

Reactions: jbmatson

nguyetan13

Jun 18, 2011
Flashed CM12 official on D802T

Hi All,

I don't know if any of you have made progress, but I want to share what worked for my D802T. I've managed to flash the official CM12 ROM that was released today (7/1/2015) by using the following steps.

1. Root via ioroot
2. Flash recovery via autorec (reboot straight into recovery from app)
3. Wipe cache/dalvik
4. Flash KK_Baseband_D802.zip from cloudyg3
5. Flash CM12 + Gapps
6. Wipe cache/dalvik
7. Reboot and enjoy! (first boot took sometime but it's booted now!)

I really hope this helps. I was so close to giving up hope too.

quangtuyen88

Feb 15, 2011
Install recovery and root android 5.0 F320

Hi.. i upgrade my phone to android 5.0 via KDZ.

Pls help me root and and install recovery.
Thanks

poochewer

Account currently disabled
Jul 14, 2008
GB
meettomy.site
That's right. It doesn't work. I updated that old post to point to the right guide which are the two posts above.
Many thanks art, but I have 2 silly questions. Is it ok to use towelroot, or must I use ioroot?
Also after I successfully flash a custom Rom, is it possible to then flash via TWRP, the European open which is in a custom recovery flashable zip? Would that do the job for me?

Freeman44

Mar 12, 2015
Hi All,

I don't know if any of you have made progress, but I want to share what worked for my D802T. I've managed to flash the official CM12 ROM that was released today (7/1/2015) by using the following steps.

1. Root via ioroot
2. Flash recovery via autorec (reboot straight into recovery from app)
3. Wipe cache/dalvik
4. Flash KK_Baseband_D802.zip from cloudyg3
5. Flash CM12 + Gapps
6. Wipe cache/dalvik
7. Reboot and enjoy! (first boot took sometime but it's booted now!)

I really hope this helps. I was so close to giving up hope too.

Can anyone else confirm this?

mrpringle5k

Sep 23, 2013
Well after stuffing around with my D820t for half of the day, I have finally have a custom ROM running (ResurrectionRemix 5.24 Lollipop).

Went through the same process as everyone else before finding this thread. So here's what worked for me (starting from stock Australia D802T20D_00.kdz)

1. Rooted with ioroot
2. TWRP installed using autorec - doesn't matter if you use d802 or d802t version we know neither work properly.
3. Booted into recovery and wiped cache/dalvik
4. Installed kitkat baseband from the cloudyg3 thread
5. Installed ResurrectionRemix rom and gapps
6. Wiped cache and dalvik again
7. Reboot

So far it's been solid, no random reboots or FCs, and I get to enjoy lollipop!

@poochewer - Although I did not try it out, perhaps you could do the same up until step 4 and then boot into download mode and try to flash the Europe d802 kdz. Not sure if this would work, so very much at your own risk - I would hate for you to get stuck if it then doesn't accept the Europe or the Aus kdz as the baseband has changed.

Is it possible to backup the original baseband using this method. It seems that once I install twrp and reboot I won't be able to copy the backup onto my PC. Is there a way to get around this?

I assume the KDZ files don't contain the baseband binaries?

mrpringle5k

Sep 23, 2013
Can anyone else confirm this?
I decided to try these instructions. I followed them step for step on my d802t 32gb running 4.4.2. I was able to install the package using twrp but when I rebooted the phone was stuck at the CM logo for about 5 minutes. I tried going back into twrp and clearing the cache once more but it still failed to boot.

I was able to flash back to the original firmware using download mode to get the phone functional.

nitinvertigo

Apr 4, 2011
Hyderabad
twrp for g2 d802t

I have the indian 4g lte lg g2 i.e. d802t model. It has stock lollipop 5.0.2. I have rooted it using one click tool. But I am unable to find any TWRP recovery for my model. I have tried autorec app from the playstore but it says unsupported model. Also I have seen that installing autorec through any other way would brick the device. Is there any other way I can install TWRP on my model? Thanks in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guy's,

I apologize if this has already been asked, i just cannot seem to find the answer by searching.

I was able to root my G2 but when i installed a custom recovery thats when i came into a soft brick(which is now fixed).

I have the Australian D802T model and i would like to know a full proof way of rooting and installing a custom recovery (twrp preferably) please.

Links to the correct info would be great.

i just dont want to stuff it up again.

Thanks

Dibbly

You guys are in LUCK

There is a new form of rooting that is FOOL PROOF

It is an apk you install, hit the button, wait for re-boot and PRESTO you have root.

Best thing of all is that it works on ALL G2 Variants.

So now you can root any G2 on 4.4.2 KitKat very easily. (Which wasn't possible before with ioroot for all variants)

Meaning it'll root any G2 made. Not just the 802.

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Install TowelRoot from here: http://towelroot.com/

2. Then install AutoRec from here for TWRP recovery: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2715496
    (AUTOREC NOT FOR D802T - I WAS TOLD THIS WILL PRICK YOUR DEVICE)

3. Then download and install SuperSU in the Play store (this method does not install SuperUser)

DONE!

Thanks . And of course I'm not responsible if this breaks the device or kills the cat. Use at your own risk
    Ok here's the information I have about aussie D802T variant. If you stay on JB 4.2.2 you can root and you can install custom recovery no problems. The Loki kernel exploit works fine on our D802T kernel. However, if you update to official LG KK ROM the kernel exploit canlonger be used. LG has not released kernel source code for our aussie version and probably never will. This means you can only root the ROM. If you install custom recovery, you cannot ever boot back to the screen, you will get boot loop at LG logo. So if you want custom recovery on aussie D802T you must install a custom ROM. If you are well planned you can proceed from stock KK ROM, by making sure you copy the custom ROM you want is copied to internal memory, then install TWRP, then boot to recovery and then install custom ROM. make sure the custom ROM doesn't supply a modem file, or have your aussie modem backed up so you don't have 4G issues.

You can also proceed from JB by rooting and installing recovery then installing custom ROM, but it's safer to install stock KK ROM to ensure all the partitions are properly set up for KK.

I'm still torn at the moment. I'm running stock KK and it's super smooth and my battery life is crazy good so I'm very happy for now. I've heard a lot of people that install custom ROMs on our aussie version are having random reboots. For now I will just root the stock ROM using ioroot25. Our aussie versions appear to have some difference that can't be worked out. If only LG would release kernel source code, we would probably have no issues at all. Why they don't release source for our phones is weird. I wonder if our carriers asked them not to for some reason.
    Right. Autorec doesnt work you need to flash a different kdz first. But then you wont have any of these problems.

Autorec will brick phones with d802t roms, even if you install the d802t version of it. Please update your post. As of now the only way to get a recovery is to flash another kdz with the back to stock method and then use autorec.

Updated post to warn about D802t Rom
    Mate I used this method yesterday and I cannot get it to boot afterwards. What am I doing wrong?Have you actually flashed the open euro into your d802t? U say all 802s are the same. I've lost half my hair over this phone and its because the Australia version is definitely not the same it's very different and I'm almost to the stage where I will sell it and buy an international variant
    Pooch, your right about the Aussie version being different. My phone had D802T software but was still a standard d802. Since that's the case, you can flash the jb D80210TA kdz which was your original rom and now you can flash your recovery the old way. I really hope this works for you now, you've been struggling with this for ages.

Thanks. I used ioroot. Nothing went wrong.

The xdabbeb mod for the camera is awesome and confirmed working on the D802T.