[Q] unlocked ATT Samsung GS3 not receiving 4g on new carrier

Search This thread

nutradox

Jan 18, 2014
AT&T Samsung S3 won't receive 3G, 4G on Cincinnati Bell network. Bell is a GSM network. I purchased an unlock code for the phone because AT&T said it could take 10 days to receive an unlock code from them. The unlock codes are different. Is it possible that the AT&T code would open up the software for use on another network, or is this a hardware issue? Bell says APN settings are correct. Is there a mod or software fix? Would using the AT&T unlock code fix this issue?

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Maybe you need to update your phone's modem? What OS are you running? Baseband?

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Did you run a speed test to make sure you're not getting 4G speeds?

I have never heard of a phone that could be carrier unlocked by using different codes.

nutradox

Jan 18, 2014
Did you run a speed test to make sure you're not getting 4G speeds?

I have never heard of a phone that could be carrier unlocked by using different codes.

Checked my speed, running pretty consistently at 2G, occasionally E.

What I meant by the unlock code statement was that I initially utilized a code I purchased to unlock the phone. AT&T stated it would take up to 10 days to get an unlock code after they confirmed my contract was completed. I use the phone primarily for business. I am self employed and could not suffer the down time. AT&T did release the code, but it took them over a week. My question then was, would I have the same issue (not receiving 3g or 4g signal under the new carrier) if I had waited for the AT&T unlock code? Another way to ask this is, does using the AT&T code (my original carrier and who I bought the phone from) unlock features (radio frequencies perhaps?) that the code from the unlock service does not?

Thanks again for your input.

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I have never heard of or come across a situation where a carrier unlock code enabled or disabled such a network feature such as LTE.

TopoX84

Apr 8, 2008
Mill Creek, WA
Grab a friends SIM card and place it on your phone...do a speedtest and if you get LTE then might be the carrier and the location you are on that does not get LTE

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app