Raphael - USB Host?

Search This thread

Da_G

Inactive Senior RD / Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2007
Riverside, CA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
The SPL at least contains drivers for USB host because in one of the service manuals it shows a recovery proceedure to flash the ROM from a typical SD card (not microsd) through a dongle cable and an sd-card reader.. note that the cable they use in the photo has a seperate plug to also feed power, maybe thats whats missing..

irus

Jun 29, 2007
The SPL at least contains drivers for USB host because in one of the service manuals it shows a recovery proceedure to flash the ROM from a typical SD card (not microsd) through a dongle cable and an sd-card reader.. note that the cable they use in the photo has a seperate plug to also feed power, maybe thats whats missing..

i agree with eveything you just said that is why i am no longer worried about the drivers but. i could not fine what i needed at the store so i had to order it online it will take about a week to get here so i will report back when i get it and try it out i am looking forward to have usb host again as my x7500 did and i loved it :)

inq44

Dec 10, 2008
Nice cable, too bad it didn't work. Instead of using the old drivers, did you try the trial drivers offered by the link on this forum?

If you mean the usb hid thingies from http://www.teksoftco.com/index.php?section=usbinput , I tried them as well without any luck :(
To be honest, what I'm really interested in, is getting it all to work with the usb2serial dongle that I currently use on my WM5 device... serial console is kind of a must for me (servers, routers, switches, etc.).

I'm not so sure that power is the ONLY other thing required for this to work; I tried with external power but it didn't work... there is something else required here, but I'm not sure whether hardware or software-wise... Maybe the genuine usb dongle from htc is different somehow; maybe something particular needs to be activated in the OS... can't figure it out for now...

BTW, is the genuine dongle accessory available for sale somewhere, or is it restricted to approved service shops only?

P0ll0L0c0

Jun 6, 2008
If you mean the usb hid thingies from http://www.teksoftco.com/index.php?section=usbinput , I tried them as well without any luck :(
To be honest, what I'm really interested in, is getting it all to work with the usb2serial dongle that I currently use on my WM5 device... serial console is kind of a must for me (servers, routers, switches, etc.).

I'm not so sure that power is the ONLY other thing required for this to work; I tried with external power but it didn't work... there is something else required here, but I'm not sure whether hardware or software-wise... Maybe the genuine usb dongle from htc is different somehow; maybe something particular needs to be activated in the OS... can't figure it out for now...

BTW, is the genuine dongle accessory available for sale somewhere, or is it restricted to approved service shops only?

Is it the same driver as is located here:

http://att-fuze.handster.com/software.php?id=3339&for=ATT+Fuze

With more sources posted on post 44 on this thread?

irus

Jun 29, 2007
well a driver might be needed for file explorer to recognize it. but not to load a new nbh file from Bootloader. anyone think they can do this :)

inq44

Dec 10, 2008
Is it the same driver as is located here:

http://att-fuze.handster.com/software.php?id=3339&for=ATT+Fuze

With more sources posted on post 44 on this thread?

Maybe this is different in WM6, but in WM5, whenever you would insert a USB device for which there was no driver installed/registered, a nice little pop-up would come up and ask for the driver name. I don't see anything like that on my TP no matter what I plug in...
As I said, I believe the problem is a bit deeper than it appears: there is either something particular that needs to be done electrical wise (can't really tell from simple pictures if the genuine dongle is any different from my cable) or some software component in the OS is missing. The SPL may have USB host access hardcoded, specifically for service use, while the OS may lack the support...

irus

Jun 29, 2007
well i got the cable and tried it out and not sure what is happening but it does not work :( power is going to both usb and the phone as i see the light around the action button indicating its in charging mode but no keyboard or mouse will work and to make matters worse i even trying the teksoft usbhost software with no luck and i can't even get it to load the nbh from bootloader screen it just frezes so i know it is detecting something but it just does not work i know i named the file right because i put it in the micro sd slot and it came right up with the loading.... screen sooo not really sure... any thoughts.

inq44

Dec 10, 2008
Right now I'm thinking the OS on the Touch Pro is lacking the USB Host Controller driver, that is the direct, underlying, hardware driver, not the class drivers (e.g Mass Storage, HID, etc.). Someone mentioned the UHC was built by Oxford Semiconductors so I tried googleing around for that, but no luck. It seems software support for the hardware is not public, so unless HTC or the original manufacturer release a driver, it is very unlikely we'll ever see any usb host functionality on the TP...
Please correct me on this, but I think the UHC driver is missing from all HTC products, no? The Diamond is missing it as well, right?
As I think reverse engineering this might be extremely hard, perhaps petitioning HTC would be the right way to go about this...

Rudegar

Retired Moderator
Jul 16, 2003
DK
i heard a long time agoe that all htc devices apart from Athena
dident have the usbHost connectors of the cpu connected to the pcb
and thats hardware and software can't fix that

inq44

Dec 10, 2008
i heard a long time agoe that all htc devices apart from Athena
dident have the usbHost connectors of the cpu connected to the pcb
and thats hardware and software can't fix that

The SPL is able to flash from an external memory if power is also supplied from an external source, so I'm a little more optimistic (hardware-wise)... Also the official HTC service manual mentions USB host support through a "dongle"...

I'm thinking if we can get the exact details about the chip, maybe we can import a UHC driver from a different device that has it shipped inside its rom.

irus

Jun 29, 2007
The SPL is able to flash from an external memory if power is also supplied from an external source, so I'm a little more optimistic (hardware-wise)... Also the official HTC service manual mentions USB host support through a "dongle"...

I'm thinking if we can get the exact details about the chip, maybe we can import a UHC driver from a different device that has it shipped inside its rom.

I was wondering if anyone has the serivce manual for the touch pro as the diamond does not have a micro sd slot so maybe the diamond has usb host and touch pro does not.

valky

Aug 8, 2008
External reader

I've resigned myself to using only an external USB flash drive/card reader to allow my TP to communicate with other, non-bluetooth devices. I'm using Memorex TravelLink - great option! However, I still am limited to only seeing the contents of the TP's micro-SD card when using the TravelLink.

I count myself lucky to be able to swap information between my still-active dinosaur Casio E-125 (what can I say? it's reliable, has good graphics and a fantastic display size - easy for input!) and my TP. After finally biting the bullet and paying an over-the-top price for a Ratoc CFU1 CF to USB adapter and only then finding out that it was only for ARM-based devices (not MIPS), I'm happy to achieve even miminal file transferance on the go, ... even though it means adding yet another, fist-sized device to my toolkit.;)

inq44

Dec 10, 2008
I was wondering if anyone has the serivce manual for the touch pro as the diamond does not have a micro sd slot so maybe the diamond has usb host and touch pro does not.

There you go: Link removed - no longer valid
The TP most definitely has USB host capabilities; if they don't lie about it in the manual, that is...

Last edited by a moderator:

pkshr

Nov 7, 2008
Boston, MA
Google Pixel 4a
Check attached picture (highlighted part) from the manual. Does it mean we have a possibility of USB host in Raphael?

Attachments

• Fuze_USB_Host.JPG
    Fuze_USB_Host.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 157

irus

Jun 29, 2007
There you go: Link removed - no longer valid
The TP most definitely has USB host capabilities; if they don't lie about it in the manual, that is...

i looked at that but it tells you to put in an micro sd not a mini usb y cable.

Last edited by a moderator:

waterskier1

Oct 22, 2008
I haven't closely read every post, but has anyone considered that additional pins may of the 11-pin mini USB connector may be needed? As I recall, shorting or interconnecting some pins triggers or enables more than one function on a single connector pin. As example, Video out and the FM Antenna use pins designated for other functions, when different dongles are used. Maybe that is what is needed to "trigger" or "enable" the USB Host function. I'm pretty sure that some other functions (mic, video out, headphones, etc.) can not all be enabled or active simultaneously. Just a thought.

inq44

Dec 10, 2008
yes but if you noticed he also said diamond not touch pro as i theorized in post #71

You are right, of course, but the diamond and the TP are not that different... I just hope hardware wise everything is in place, and I believe we should start with that assumption; the manual is pretty clear about this. If they were only supporting flashing from external sd-card reader, they would have just said so. At least that's what "usb 2.0 host suport thru dongle" means to me... Then again maybe the "dongle" is something special, more than just rearranged pins and externally supplied power...