[Q][Noobs] I typed command "fastboot erase bootloader"

Search This thread

Captain Sweatpants

Feb 18, 2014
Edinburgh
You could buy a new motherboard and fit it you self its pretty easy and you can get them for about £40/50 but warranty is out the question.

Sent from one of my 47 iPads running android C3P0

D

Darth

Read read read, learn, learn more, understand, understand fully......then and only then start messing with your devices.

Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my N5 cell phone telephone....

Androlover98

Jan 30, 2013
Mumbai
I very noobs when type command "fastboot erase bootloader". My Nexus 7 is brick.
Can you help me fix this problem? :( :(

Well bro, you have my sympathy.

This command results in hard bricks.....

Now the only way is to restore a .blob backup which you should have taken through flatlines nvflash before doing the biggest mistake of your life.

You may reclaim your warranty, I think.....but your n7 is dead.:(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: KingMGT

Captain Sweatpants

Feb 18, 2014
Edinburgh
We live and learn. The first time I started messing with android I hard bricked a Samsung galaxy spica. Got really nervous about messing with my next phone

Last edited:

adomol

Jan 25, 2014
/etc/init.d
I very noobs when type command "fastboot erase bootloader". My Nexus 7 is brick.

Curious if you know which bootloader version you have? I'm on 4.23 and I have, out of morbid curiousity, typed that which should never be type... fastboot erase bootloader and it doesn't erase. Says erase failed. Bootloader and Nexus unharmed. That being said, please DO NOT try this at home! But I'm wondering under what circumstances a bootloader would allow itself to be erased? I've flashed bootloaders, which makes total sense, but erasing should never be an option.

D

Darth

Curious if you know which bootloader version you have? I'm on 4.23 and I have, out of morbid curiousity, typed that which should never be type... fastboot erase bootloader and it doesn't erase. Says erase failed. Bootloader and Nexus unharmed. That being said, please DO NOT try this at home! But I'm wondering under what circumstances a bootloader would allow itself to be erased? I've flashed bootloaders, which makes total sense, but erasing should never be an option.

You sir, are brave. ;)

Sent from my N5 cell phone telephone....

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK

Hi, adomol...

As politely as I can put this, but "Why?"... did you try this...

Generally, the command...

Code:
fastboot erase <partition_name>

...will delete/erase whatever the named partition occupies. Often, this will be for something relatively innocuous, (eg., fastboot erase boot, fastboot erase userdata, etc.) but it also WILL ERASE THE UNIQUE DEVICE SPECIFIC, CRYPTOSIGNED BOOTLOADER for your unique Nexus 7 if your attempt to erase the bootloader succeeds. And your device is then HARDBRICKED:(:(.

---------------------------------------------

I suspect the reason why your quasi-suicidal attempt to brick your Nexus 7 failed, is because your bootloader is probably locked... and fastboot commands fail if the bootloader is locked.

I strongly recommend you desist from further experimentation along these lines.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Last edited:

adomol

Jan 25, 2014
/etc/init.d
Hi, adomol...

Code:

...will delete/erase whatever the named partition occupies. Often, this will be for something relatively innocuous, (eg., fastboot erase boot, fastboot erase userdata, etc.) but it also WILL ERASE THE UNIQUE DEVICE SPECIFIC, CRYPTOSIGNED BOOTLOADER for your unique Nexus 7 if your attempt to erase the bootloader succeeds. And your device is then HARDBRICKED:(:(.

I suspect the reason why your quasi-suicidal attempt to brick your Nexus 7 failed, is because your bootloader is probably locked... and fastboot commands fail if the bootloader is locked.

Rgrds,
Ged.

I know it was reckless and could have hardbricked my device, but the thrill overtook me. I have a history of this kind of behavior. But that is beside the point.

I've used fastboot many times and executed most of the usual commands... format, erase, flash, devices, oem unlock, oem lock. All on this very device. The same one I almost euthanized. It is a Nexus 7 2012, unlocked running all-f2fs SlimKat, bootloader version 4.23 (which is the current version.) I flashed that bootloader myself a couple months back when I did a nexus factory image install through fastboot. I also used the erase command on all the usual partitions before flashing them, as I took care of each one seperately.

That being said, I executed the dreaded command on this N7. Result... erase failed

Now that result just brings up more questions, although it would make sense to have fastboot not be able to erase that part or somehow build into the bootloader somekind of failsafe. Could be that 4.23 can't be erased and older versions can?

Reactions: GedBlake

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
I know it was reckless and could have hardbricked my device, but the thrill overtook me. I have a history of this kind of behavior. But that is beside the point.

I've used fastboot many times and executed most of the usual commands... format, erase, flash, devices, oem unlock, oem lock. All on this very device. The same one I almost euthanized. It is a Nexus 7 2012, unlocked running all-f2fs SlimKat, bootloader version 4.23 (which is the current version.) I flashed that bootloader myself a couple months back when I did a nexus factory image install through fastboot. I also used the erase command on all the usual partitions before flashing them, as I took care of each one seperately.

That being said, I executed the dreaded command on this N7. Result... erase failed

Now that result just brings up more questions, although it would make sense to have fastboot not be able to erase that part or somehow build into the bootloader somekind of failsafe. Could be that 4.23 can't be erased and older versions can?

Hi, adomol...

You're definitely onto something here... I must be mad, but I've just attempted to erase my bootloader. And encountered a similar error to yours.

So, with every precaution available to hand, here's what I did...

------------------------------------

...made available a known working copy of the v4.23 bootloader.img on my laptop, with the intention of immediately fastboot flashing it, in the event the bootloader erase SUCCEEDED. (Providing you DON'T reboot the device immediately after a bootloader flash failure (or erasure), there is a small window of opportunity to fastboot flash a known working bootloader... before you reboot the device.)

...made available my 'flatline' created 'blob.bin' file, and nvFlash tools...

My device...
Nexus 7 (2012), 16Gb,'grouper' model, WiFi only.
Bootloader v4.23, unlocked.
Custom recovery is TWRP 2.7.0.0
Running rooted KitKat 4.4.2, with modifications (see my sig. for details).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

With all tools, files and everything I could think of readily available (and my heart in my stomach!!)... I ran the potential Nexus 7 command line killer...

WARNING TO ALL READERS: The following command is potentially VERY dangerous, and may BRICK your device. Do NOT use casually. The previous poster raised an interesting issue regarding the v4.23 bootloader, and what follows is my own risky experiment... which happily, did not brick MY Nexus 7. I can make no such guarantees about YOUR Nexus 7.

Code:
fastboot erase bootloader

It failed:)... with this error message...

Code:
erasing 'bootloader'...
FAILED <remote: Unsupport Erase bootloader Partition.>
finished. total time: 0.016s

See my attached thumbnail.

So, it DOES appear that, at least as far as the v4.23 bootloader is concerned... it's impossible to deliberately erase it... although accidentally overwriting it, I suspect might be a different matter - eg., inadvertently fastboot flashing a boot.img to the bootloader partition, for example:(.

Anyway... very nice find, @adomol... you've discovered something interesting as a result of your bravery or foolhardiness:)... and I can't decide which! Whichever quality it is, I think I share it:).

Right... I'm off for a cigar, and a drop of whisky to calm my nerves:):):).

Rgrds,
Ged.

Attachments

• 20140315_061907.jpg
    20140315_061907.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Reactions: adomol

adomol

Jan 25, 2014
/etc/init.d
Anyway... very nice find, @adomol... you've discovered something interesting as a result of your bravery or foolhardiness:)... and I can't decide which! Whichever quality it is, I think I share it:).

Right... I'm off for a cigar, and a drop of whisky to calm my nerves:):):).

Rgrds,
Ged.

I'm breeding an XDA loony bin in here! It's like Jackass Nexus 7 edition. :laugh:

Thanks for posting the screenshot, though. I wish I would have been resourceful enough to do that, considering how unlikey these results were thought to have been. Good job @GedBlake!

Captain Sweatpants

Feb 18, 2014
Edinburgh
@adomol That being the one command that will irrevocably brick a nexus you at either very brave or stupid to type that please tell me you had a blob.bin backup before trying that. Anyway that's an interesting find nonetheless.

Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi, KingMGT...

You typed the command that should never be typed!

Unless you have previously created 'blobs' specific to your Nexus 7 (using the flatline procedure), your device is unrecoverably bricked.

Rgrds,
    Ged.
    Can you help me fix this problem? :( :([/QUOTE said:
    Strip it and sell the parts on eBay apart from the motherboard im afraid its unrecoverable without blob backups

Is RMA out of discussion here ?

Yes. Because he erased his bootloader.

Well bro, you have my sympathy.

This command results in hard bricks.....

Now the only way is to restore a .blob backup which you should have taken through flatlines nvflash before doing the biggest mistake of your life.

You may reclaim your warranty, I think.....but your n7 is dead.:(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Hi, adomol...

Code:

Rgrds,
    Ged.