Facebook button remapping for unrooted(!) HTC ChaCha

Search This thread

anmipo

Jun 14, 2010
As probably many of us here, I've bought HTC ChaCha not for the Facebook key, but rather for the other 42. However, not being able to reassign that FB button to something more relevant was rather annoying - and looked like an interesting way to spend the weekend.

So, a weekend of reading though the phone's log and trying different approaches resulted in a simple application for reassigning the Facebook button to custom actions. I've published it on Android market: F-button Lite for HTC ChaCha (free and without ads). The app does not rely on any hacks or non-standard tricks, and therefore works even on unrooted HTC ChaCha (and maybe on HTC Salsa).

Please let me know if the application works on your HTC ChaCha/Status/Salsa, and feel free to share any ideas for improving the app.

UPD: Requires firmware version 1.23 or higher (see Settings - About phone - Software information - Software number, and, if necessary, get an update via Settings - About phone - Software updates - Check now).

UPD2: Reportedly does not work with AT&T Status. Please try the Lite version before paying for the full one. If you have already bought the full version and it does not work on your phone, please email me the order number to get a refund.

Attachments

• setup-screenshot.png
    setup-screenshot.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,380
Last edited:

Alex C.

Aug 17, 2011
Congratulations for the work you've put in!

I have also bought the phone for the keyboard (as I dislike FB and don't use it) but unfortunately I have rooted my phone and removed everything FB related.

shb66

Dec 7, 2009
just tried the lite version, its buggy, if you once set for default it won't change the action, even if u clear in the default settings and cache/data. tried uninstalling, reinstalling and restarting phone but same default action, can't change.

anmipo

Jun 14, 2010
just tried the lite version, its buggy, if you once set for default it won't change the action, even if u clear in the default settings and cache/data. tried uninstalling, reinstalling and restarting phone but same default action, can't change.
I'm not sure if I understood the problem...
Do you mean that pressing the FB button still opens Facebook even if you set "FButton Lite" as the default handler (as per the screenshot)?
Or that the dialog "Complete action using" always lists "Custom F-Button action" and not the specific action you've selected?
Or that F-Button always performs the same action (which one exactly?) ignoring the actions that you selected?

shb66

Dec 7, 2009
I'm not sure if I understood the problem...
Do you mean that pressing the FB button still opens Facebook even if you set "FButton Lite" as the default handler (as per the screenshot)?
Or that the dialog "Complete action using" always lists "Custom F-Button action" and not the specific action you've selected?
Or that F-Button always performs the same action (which one exactly?) ignoring the actions that you selected?

I'l tell what happened, i installed the app / pressed the f key / it asked for two options / i pressed htc facebook / and checked the set default action / then i pressed f key it opened facebook post page / then i decided to try other device control options / i changed it by going in the f-button app / but when i pressed f key it still opened htc facebook / i went in phone settings and cleared app data and cache still no change i reinstalled still it opens to htc status post page / no popup to configure. Now what to do ?

anmipo

Jun 14, 2010
When you set an application as the default one for some action, this setting is stored in the properties of that application (Facebook for HTC Sense, in this case).

Try clearing the defaults for "Facebook for HTC Sense" rather than for F-Button. (Settings - Applications - Manage Applications - All - Facebook for HTC Sense - Clear defaults.)
Please let me know whether this worked for you.

shb66

Dec 7, 2009
When you set an application as the default one for some action, this setting is stored in the properties of that application (Facebook for HTC Sense, in this case).

Try clearing the defaults for "Facebook for HTC Sense" rather than for F-Button. (Settings - Applications - Manage Applications - All - Facebook for HTC Sense - Clear defaults.)
Please let me know whether this worked for you.

Great thanks, it worked finally, good support / advice :)

stesa

Dec 30, 2005
Tuscany
As probably many of us here, I've bought HTC ChaCha not for the Facebook key, but rather for the other 42. However, not being able to reassign that FB button to something more relevant was rather annoying - and looked like an interesting way to spend the weekend.

So, a weekend of reading though the phone's log and trying different approaches resulted in a simple application for reassigning the Facebook button to custom actions. I've published it on Android market as "F-button Lite for HTC ChaCha" (for free and without ads). The app does not rely on any hacks or non-standard tricks, and therefore works even on unrooted HTC ChaCha/Status (and maybe on HTC Salsa).

Please let me know if the application works on your HTC ChaCha/Status/Salsa, and feel free to share any ideas for improving the app.

I would like to utilize that button as a power button , is it possible ?

Rorto

Jul 22, 2011
Marseille
The app doesn't work for me. =/
On 1.18.401.1 HTC ChaCha.
(And the "Clear defaults" button for Facebook for HTC Sense is nonactive.)

anmipo

Jun 14, 2010
(And the "Clear defaults" button for Facebook for HTC Sense is nonactive.
Does this mean that when you install the app and click the FB button:
1) the phone opens Facebook as usual, or
2) nothing happens at all, or
3) something else?

Has the "Complete action using" dialog ever been displayed?

Reactions: ze7zez

Rorto

Jul 22, 2011
Marseille
No dialog displayed after installing and the F button opens Facebook as usual, yes.
Maybe it's the 1.18 version, did you test on it ?

anmipo

Jun 14, 2010
Yes, it might be the 1.18... My test device has 1.57.

Would you mind to record a part of your system log, so that I could analyze the issue in detail?
Here is the procedure:
  1. (re)install the mapping application
  2. install aLogcat and open it
  3. in aLogcat, press Menu - Clear
  4. press the Facebook button
  5. when the Facebook app opens, hit Back to return to aLogcat
  6. press Menu - Share (or Save) and email the log to me (my nickname @gmail.com)
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: ze7zez

igclapp

Sep 17, 2008
How to get to "Complete Action Using" screen

Hello,

Please bear with me as I just bought my first Android phone.

I downloaded F-Button Lite for HTC Cha Cha from the Android market. Basically I want the F button to toggle the flashlight (aka camera flash) on and off.

I was able to get to the screen to set the desired functions for short press and long press. However, how do you get to the screen (shown on the thumbnail in the first post) that says "Complete Action Using"?

So far all the F-button does is bring up the Facebook app as normal. Would appreciate if some more detailed installation instructions had been provided with the F-Button Lite app.

However I really hope I can get this thing working as a flashlight function would be very useful.

Thank you,

I.G. Clapp

anmipo

Jun 14, 2010
I've checked the ROMs available here in the forum, and found that the events that the remapping application relies upon, were added only in firmware version 1.23.
A quick solution for the owners of 1.13 or 1.18 would be, well, to update. However, I realize that some operators take their time publishing the updates, so I'll check if it is possible to make the app compatible also with the old versions.

igclapp, can you please post your firmware version number? It can be seen in Settings - About phone - Software information - Software number.

igclapp

Sep 17, 2008
Hi Anmipo,

It was 1.22.415.2. So I figured I needed to upgrade to at least 1.23. I went to "About phone"/"Software Updates" and downloaded the update. Now the phone software shows version 1.57.415.3.

I tried F-Button Lite again and the "Complete action using" screen came up and I was able to set it up so the F button now turns on the flashlight! However, it says you have to use the "back" button to switch off the flashlight. Not a big deal, just thought toggling the F-button again would turn off the flashlight.

Only issue now is that it seems the flashlight won't run in the background if you want to use another app. If you press the home button, the flashlight turns off.

Still, pretty handy. Thanks!

anmipo

Jun 14, 2010
However, it says you have to use the "back" button to switch off the flashlight. Not a big deal, just thought toggling the F-button again would turn off the flashlight.
Thanks for the suggestion, please check the updated version.
Having the flashlight in background is not possible at the moment, unfortunately...

Wrangler79

Jan 16, 2012
I have bought HTC ChaCha yesterday. This is my first android set. Before that I was using Nokia Symbian phones.
After buying HTC ChaCha, the first thing which I wanted to do was to assign that "f" button to some other application because I don't use facebook much. I searched google and this page was opened. Hence I installed that application "F-button lite" from android market. When I pressed the f button, a window opened and I selected F-Button lite but I am not able to click on "Device Control". It is not highlighted.
The software which I am using is 1.54.401.2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So, a weekend of reading though the phone's log and trying different approaches resulted in a simple application for reassigning the Facebook button to custom actions. I've published it on Android market: F-button Lite for HTC ChaCha (free and without ads). The app does not rely on any hacks or non-standard tricks, and therefore works even on unrooted HTC ChaCha (and maybe on HTC Salsa).

UPD: Requires firmware version 1.23 or higher (see Settings - About phone - Software information - Software number, and, if necessary, get an update via Settings - About phone - Software updates - Check now).

UPD2: Reportedly does not work with AT&T Status. Please try the Lite version before paying for the full one. If you have already bought the full version and it does not work on your phone, please email me the order number to get a refund.
    I am not able to click on "Device Control". It is not highlighted.
    You need first to press "Action on click" and choose "Device control", then the corresponding option will be enabled.
    Any chance someone can paste up the file for me?
    Will test on Salsa and report back lol

Try the attached file :)
    Hi everyone,

Great job for this app !!

I'd like to know if Facebook button could be reassigned to "Twitter for Sense" ?
    I haven't found a list of app/actions possible with this app, through this thread or Market !!!
    Thank you!
    The possible actions are shown in Market's screenshots (there is only "Device control - Show Home screen" missing).
    Regarding your question: you can configure FButton to start any application listed in you launcher (such as the default "All Apps" list). I cannot find "Twitter for Sense" in my ChaCha, but I guess it would be a hidden app, just like "Facebook for HTC Sense"...
    (And the "Clear defaults" button for Facebook for HTC Sense is nonactive.
    Does this mean that when you install the app and click the FB button:
    1) the phone opens Facebook as usual, or
    2) nothing happens at all, or
    3) something else?

Has the "Complete action using" dialog ever been displayed?