[Q] SASL for IRC on mobile, how do you enable it?

Search This thread

Daughain

Nov 23, 2010
DFW, Tx
I spend most of my time on my mobile, and the other day I tried joining XDA on freenode, I keep getting "Closing link: SASL access only"
Can anyone tell me how to enable this on my G2? Thanks in advance.

RavenFB

Nov 26, 2010
New Douglas, Illinois
Wow. I imagine whoever made this thread has probably forgotten it, but since it comes up in web searches, and others may ask this question, it is simple: If you are using Freenode, you simply need to 1)register your nick using the webchat client (webchat.freenode.net) in your phone's browser 2) install either AndChat (my personal recommendation) or AndroIRC client for Android. Either can be found in the Android Market, and both have perfectly functional free versions. 3) Make sure you have your registered nick set up as your user name, and enter in your password in the "nickserv password" field.
This should get you onto Freenode with no problems. The last two steps apply to any other SASL-required IRC servers, as well. Just make sure that you have registered your account either via their webchat client (if they provide one), or via a PC that is not connected to the internet via a cellular connection.

A word about using SASL-required IRC servers on a cell-tethered laptop: If you wish to use your favorite IRC client on your laptop, the only way to get around the issues with SASL failing to authenticate, at this time, is to install TOR and a script for your chat client to proxy to it. The reason for this is that your client, while using the cell connection, will be trying to authenticate to the cellular DNS, rather than the IRC server. Hopefully one of these IRC clients will eventually build-in a function to get around this. In the meantime, you can find a guide I put together on this subject here: MyServerIsDead-SASL/IRC/TOR Guide

Reactions: Dark3n

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wow. I imagine whoever made this thread has probably forgotten it, but since it comes up in web searches, and others may ask this question, it is simple: If you are using Freenode, you simply need to 1)register your nick using the webchat client (webchat.freenode.net) in your phone's browser 2) install either AndChat (my personal recommendation) or AndroIRC client for Android. Either can be found in the Android Market, and both have perfectly functional free versions. 3) Make sure you have your registered nick set up as your user name, and enter in your password in the "nickserv password" field.
    This should get you onto Freenode with no problems. The last two steps apply to any other SASL-required IRC servers, as well. Just make sure that you have registered your account either via their webchat client (if they provide one), or via a PC that is not connected to the internet via a cellular connection.

A word about using SASL-required IRC servers on a cell-tethered laptop: If you wish to use your favorite IRC client on your laptop, the only way to get around the issues with SASL failing to authenticate, at this time, is to install TOR and a script for your chat client to proxy to it. The reason for this is that your client, while using the cell connection, will be trying to authenticate to the cellular DNS, rather than the IRC server. Hopefully one of these IRC clients will eventually build-in a function to get around this. In the meantime, you can find a guide I put together on this subject here: MyServerIsDead-SASL/IRC/TOR Guide