Modding the original samsung dock

Search This thread

ro_explorer

Dec 3, 2010
Stockholm
After buying the dock and seeing that I've paid $24 only for a piece of plastic with a connector I decided to dig a little deeper into it to make it better.

So, I was assimilating information from these topics:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1155065
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16342363&postcount=4

I started to put my knowledge at work and this is what came out - see attachments.

Basically I can now use my charger of choice and at the same time I can plug in USB stuff.

The small relay inside is switching the power supply for the USB host from the 5V output of the tablet to the main 5V supply when you are plugging in the power adapter (the original or non-original).
The button next to the USB host (I know .. it is white .. but they were not having other colors at the electronics store :) ) has the function to switch the connection of the USB port from the regular OTG to the circuit that is enabling the AC charging on the tablet. So, when I'm not using the usb host capabilities the tablet will charge in fast mode, with full current.

There is one interesting thing I've found. If I'm plugging in the tablet with the switch in the fast-charge mode and after that I'm switching to USB-Host mode, the tablet will still continue to charge in AC mode (see snapshots for proof :) ).

I have to mention that all the original functionality of the dock has been preserved and the 30 pin connector at the back can still be used with the original intent (with the proper cables).

If anyone want to replicate this mod and needs additional details, just ask and I'll gladly answer.

Attachments

• IMG_9110.jpg
    IMG_9110.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,723
  • IMG_9113.jpg
    IMG_9113.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,677
  • IMG_9114.jpg
    IMG_9114.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,566
  • IMG_9115.jpg
    IMG_9115.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,440
  • IMG_9116.jpg
    IMG_9116.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,342
  • IMG_9117.jpg
    IMG_9117.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,297
  • IMG_9118.jpg
    IMG_9118.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1,325
  • IMG_9120.jpg
    IMG_9120.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 1,301
  • IMG_9124.jpg
    IMG_9124.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,410
  • IMG_9125.jpg
    IMG_9125.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,304
Last edited:

ro_explorer

Dec 3, 2010
Stockholm
The hdmi has to wait a little. I have ordered a mhl adapter on ebay but is gonna take a while until will arive. An on top of that I need to find time in my crowded schedule.

satein

Apr 11, 2008
Could you please supply the wiring schematic diagram of your mod? That would be a lot helpful. Thank you. :)

YellowRex

Sep 17, 2009
This is awesome, great work! Shame it doesn't come with that full USB port stock. If I get one of these tabs, I'll definitely be looking to repeat your work.

ro_explorer

Dec 3, 2010
Stockholm
I'm sorry not to have provided the requested info but my daily job is currently killing all my time (including the theoretically spare time). I'll draw the schematics ASAP and also I'll re-order the MHL adapter since the first one got lost in the mail (and I've been reimbursed).

Anyway, as a heads-up - I'm thinking to put the MHL adapter on top of the dock so I'll keep the original port accessible (and also the audio jack). I still don't know how exactly I'm going to do this ... but I think I'll figure it out when the time will come.

Last edited:
Reactions: puppettestpilot

puppettestpilot

Nov 8, 2010
Brisbane, Queensland
thats quite innovative

The hdmi has to wait a little. I have ordered a mhl adapter on ebay but is gonna take a while until will arive. An on top of that I need to find time in my crowded schedule.

apparently the dock has hdmi passthrough meaning you still need the samsung hdmi adapter (http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab-accessories/EPL-3PHPBEGSTA) I haven't yet tried my dock with my hdmi adapter, I will do tomorrow and let you know - good luck incorporating that too

MAMUTHcz

Jan 12, 2012
Brno
awesome job mate...schematics would be really helpful. Can't do this mod on my own, but my father is more than capable...I think i have project for him (if you can find some time to draw those schematics off course :D )

ghost__

Dec 26, 2007
Would it be possible to modify the dock to disable data and only enable AC charging? I'm using the Tab in my car and every car charger I use seems to only send 500mA of current to the Tab so it dies a slow death in my car and needs to be recharged at home once a week or so.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

MRBR7

May 27, 2012
Can you show where you soldered wires to in the dock?
Bought one and want to charge at same time as watch movies from usb device.
Anybody help me?

ro_explorer

Dec 3, 2010
Stockholm
Hi guys,

I've put together some schematics. Sorry for the lack of very deep details but I can not take the glue off my board and other hi-def picture I was unable to find so you will have to use an ohmmeter to find out the exact pins based on the clues in the picture.

Basically, in the attached picture is the implementation I currently have in the dock. Due to the lack of free time I was unable to continue with implementing the MHL adapter inside so I guess I'll drop that one.

If you need any details based on the attached picture do not hesitate to ask.

Full size picture: http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/83/dockmod.png

And to answer the ones asking if I'm thinking to sell these :): Actually that thought crossed my mind. I have other mods done on my Galaxy Nexus also (see the Ringke inductive charging mod) and also other great stuff that I'm building by exercising my hobby. Unfortunately, when I'm pushing like 70-80 hours a week on my daily job there is little to none spare time left .. and the little I got I'm spending it with my son. In a relative future when I'll have more spare time (or no job) I'll consider starting a business based on the know-how I've gathered until now.

Attachments

• dock-mod.jpg
    dock-mod.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:

MRBR7

May 27, 2012
thanks for update...
Just purchased the break out board so when arrives will give this a go!!!

MRBR7

May 27, 2012
Also found this if anybody wants to try the dock...
Pin 1 = 30 Shield Connector
Pin 2 = 28
Pin 3 = 27
Pin 4 = 13
pin 5 = 19
pin 6 = 18
pin 7 = 17
pin 8 = 6
pin 9 = 7
pin 10 =3
pin 11 =4
pin 12 = 1+2

THEDEVIOUS1

Nov 26, 2009
usb host, hdmi & charge...AT THE SAME TIME!

I just wanted to point out a similar thread posted in the "galaxy tab plus accessories" forum. This may have already been done before but i figured it would be much bigger news if so. XDA member "emil_b" claims to have modified the multimedia dock to simultaneously do hdmi out, trickle charge the tab , & serve as usb host! In case some of u may not know, the same dock works with ALL tab variants(PERSONALLY ONLY TESTED WITH P1000, P7100, P6200, P6210 BUT 99% CERTAIN) so if this proves true, this should be shared with all the other tab forums in hopes that it can be made into an actual product.

Here is the original post
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1677845

Last edited:
Reactions: ro_explorer

MRBR7

May 27, 2012
Ended up modding my dock now and have usb host with charging...
Thanks Ro-explorer for the idea...

xeexou

Mar 18, 2010
old dock from samsung p1000...

i have from my old p1000 (i sold it) the docking station at home. mhm i think they have the same cabel and so.

but the p1000 have 7zoll and my tab have 8,9 and the pin is landscape :confused:

i cut the dockstation and my GT-7310 works wonderfull with the ( i say modded :p ) dock.

mini hdmi works and the rest too. only one problem is there now, i but a little piece of paper behind the tab and dock, for the perfect fit xD

okay the cuts look terrible but i work on them

IMAG0404.jpg

IMAG0405.jpg

IMAG0406.jpg

sorry for my english :( but i hope you can see on the pics what i mean gg

lg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After buying the dock and seeing that I've paid $24 only for a piece of plastic with a connector I decided to dig a little deeper into it to make it better.

So, I was assimilating information from these topics:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1155065
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16342363&postcount=4

I started to put my knowledge at work and this is what came out - see attachments.

Basically I can now use my charger of choice and at the same time I can plug in USB stuff.

The small relay inside is switching the power supply for the USB host from the 5V output of the tablet to the main 5V supply when you are plugging in the power adapter (the original or non-original).
    The button next to the USB host (I know .. it is white .. but they were not having other colors at the electronics store :) ) has the function to switch the connection of the USB port from the regular OTG to the circuit that is enabling the AC charging on the tablet. So, when I'm not using the usb host capabilities the tablet will charge in fast mode, with full current.

There is one interesting thing I've found. If I'm plugging in the tablet with the switch in the fast-charge mode and after that I'm switching to USB-Host mode, the tablet will still continue to charge in AC mode (see snapshots for proof :) ).

I have to mention that all the original functionality of the dock has been preserved and the 30 pin connector at the back can still be used with the original intent (with the proper cables).

If anyone want to replicate this mod and needs additional details, just ask and I'll gladly answer.
    I'm sorry not to have provided the requested info but my daily job is currently killing all my time (including the theoretically spare time). I'll draw the schematics ASAP and also I'll re-order the MHL adapter since the first one got lost in the mail (and I've been reimbursed).

Anyway, as a heads-up - I'm thinking to put the MHL adapter on top of the dock so I'll keep the original port accessible (and also the audio jack). I still don't know how exactly I'm going to do this ... but I think I'll figure it out when the time will come.
    usb host, hdmi & charge...AT THE SAME TIME!

I just wanted to point out a similar thread posted in the "galaxy tab plus accessories" forum. This may have already been done before but i figured it would be much bigger news if so. XDA member "emil_b" claims to have modified the multimedia dock to simultaneously do hdmi out, trickle charge the tab , & serve as usb host! In case some of u may not know, the same dock works with ALL tab variants(PERSONALLY ONLY TESTED WITH P1000, P7100, P6200, P6210 BUT 99% CERTAIN) so if this proves true, this should be shared with all the other tab forums in hopes that it can be made into an actual product.

Here is the original post
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1677845