One X screen very prone to scratches

Search This thread

aszu

Dec 10, 2009
Hi,

I have got my One X for about 2 weeks now and there are multiple micro-scrathes on its screen already... (some of them are covering half of the screen). They are only visible when the screen is off and under certain lighting and angle, but it is quite annoying - I am worried how would the screen look like after a couple of months.

I am very careful with the phone and never keep it in my pocket with any other items. I have got HD2 previously for almost 3 years and with the same usage pattern its screen hasn't got a single scratch.

I suspect it is not Gorilla Glass that gets scratched, but some kind of coating (oleophobic?) on the screen.

Is your experience similar?

DrAnGeR

Nov 20, 2009
Salford Greater Manchester
Dude there something with the screen.Its sh1t. i dropped the phone yesterday from my bed and on the right top of the screen there is a brake on the screen and some scratches too.I had Galaxy S and i dropped it several times and from higher position than bed and non a single scratch i dont mention the ****ing brake.i am already thinking replacing the digitizer .its a fuking new phone its not that i have problem with the broke as long my lcd is working but u know what i mean

phil112345

Apr 21, 2012
was the swearing necessary?

replacing the glass is hard- the screen and lcd are apparently attached and spare parts are expensive, let alone the effort required to disassemble the phone (as the m/board etc are attached directly to the screen)

the screen is also laminated - maybe this coating is getting scratched? i don't know exactly what laminated glass is, just what it achieves.

DrAnGeR

Nov 20, 2009
Salford Greater Manchester
Its necessary when they say Gorilla Glass should be Gorilla Glass.Its the same screen as galaxy s.Anyway i am afraid removing the digitizer would damage the LCD too by accident and the problem will be larger. so i am not quite ready to do that.i can live with a scratch

globalgpj

Aug 26, 2006
Australia
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Sorry to hear your dramas with the phone.

I have mine now over a month.

I use a flip leather case now, but had none for the first two weeks and I use my phone a lot but with no screen protector and I don't have any scratches on it.

You must have hit something with sharp edges hard.

I had a SG2, never had a screen protector and was exposed as I didn't use a flip case. It never got any major scrathes, but hundreds of tiny ones that could be scene in the right light only.

This is a much better glass in my opinion.

Hope you are able to fix yours without too much trouble.

Cheers.

Htc_One_X

Apr 13, 2012
Deal
I too have many minor scratches, it does not hinder its use so I'm alright with it, I was but no longer using the HTC branded flip case that phones4u have me when I upgraded. Offers no protection and is clumsy to answer phone quickly lol.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

MistaButters

May 10, 2012
San Diego
Hi,

I have got my One X for about 2 weeks now and there are multiple micro-scrathes on its screen already... (some of them are covering half of the screen). They are only visible when the screen is off and under certain lighting and angle, but it is quite annoying - I am worried how would the screen look like after a couple of months.

I am very careful with the phone and never keep it in my pocket with any other items. I have got HD2 previously for almost 3 years and with the same usage pattern its screen hasn't got a single scratch.

I suspect it is not Gorilla Glass that gets scratched, but some kind of coating (oleophobic?) on the screen.

I have noticed these micro-scratches too (funny I googled HTC One X micro scratches and this page came up). I haven't dropped my phone and I haven't put it in my pocket with anything else. At first I only noticed them in the sun, but now I can see them indoors as well. You have to turn the display off and hold it at an angle to see the scratches, but they are there.

Reactions: dogredwing1

thunderc8

Apr 1, 2010
Today i returned mine after 2 weeks it had a scratch in the midle on the screen and it was visible when the screen is off...
I hope they replace it i dont whant to have a scrached phone that costs 700 euro and is suposed to have gorila glass.
And i havent droped it or put it in my pocket with other items.

berek9999

May 25, 2010
Hi,

Are you sure they are scratches? I noticed something similar on my HOX the other day and thought I'd scratched it at first, but the whole screen seems to have that pattern and it's far too regular to be tiny scratches. I think it's part of the screen (digitiser?) as scratches wouldn't look so regular.

Tomo1971

Apr 21, 2012
Fife
Think I have a few on mine now...not gonna get too beet up about it, it's only a phone and will probably be swapping it for something else in six months..... Which will probably get scratched too, lol.

anfozy

Sep 16, 2011
Sydney
Wow I'm really surprised when I read these posts

My story I had my one x in my pocket no case or screen protector and was in a rush for the bus and just chucked my coins in my pocket not realising it was the same pocket my one x was in and ran for the bus only when I went to get my coins that I realised my phone had been bouncing around with the coins in my pocket like a washing machine while I was running

Subsequently I almost scrapped myself thinking I've commited the ultimate sin I expected to see a crapload of scratches

To my disbelief besides a couple of light scratches on the polycarbonate back that just rubbed off the screen was fine I remember think what?! That can't be right and for the whole bus ride I was furiously examining the screen, holding it on an angle in the light to try and detect even the most minor of scratches and still found nothing ever since then I couldn't stop praising the screen on the one x

The camera lens was also scratch free but I'm thinking that was just sheer luck

mobilitytoday

Jan 13, 2007
Guys I am forced to believe HTC isn't using Gorilla Glass on all models.. I had the Thailand version and it scratched crazy easy. I now have the HTC ONE XL and i can take a key to it..

mrt159

May 3, 2012
I have two minor (about 5mm in length) hairline scratches on mine. Inspected my screen at an angle with powerful flashlight just to barely notice them after having read this thread.

I'm not going to be bothered by those, but I am going to do an occasional inspection and if I notice a trend I'll put a screen protector on.

I have some screen protectors for the phone and even applied one, but tore it off immediately because the bare screen is much better to the touch and does not have that stupid rainbow effect the protector had.

aszu

Dec 10, 2009
Are you sure they are scratches? I noticed something similar on my HOX the other day and thought I'd scratched it at first, but the whole screen seems to have that pattern and it's far too regular to be tiny scratches. I think it's part of the screen (digitiser?) as scratches wouldn't look so regular.

Yeah, these are definitively legitimate scrathes, very irregular, there is no pattern.
They seem to get worse and worse every day... :(

Z51

Nov 28, 2006
A $2 dollar screen protector would have prevented this. Just saying.

Reactions: ladyhaly

nanoo-eg

Aug 27, 2008
Cairo
I am tired of reading about problems in HOX. I start to think I have another phone no one x. I have it 1.5 month. I have no problem at all.
I am not using screen protector and case. Just a poutch.
Twice I had drop it from the base of the car and hit the screen in different places. No problem.
Usually I put in my pocket without the poutch. There is no scratch on the screen and polycarbonate.
See this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ri6vrmPbc&feature=player_embedded

Reactions: alojo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't have a single clue what you are doing in One X forum if you are so full of SIII, I mean, what's the point? :confused:
    Could it be a frustration you have with HTC?
    Or maybe you are a representative of that other phone trying to screw HTC's reputation?

8 years I use HTC phones and they never disapointed me, HTC is the best quality you can get to my opinion.
    I'm getting nuts about the Samsheeps coming over to HTC One X section to brag about there phones. :mad:
    Do you see me in SIII forum?

It stinks!

And about my new HTC One X, not a single scratch in the 3 months I use it.

The S3 build quality is very good IMHO too. I was very worried about what I'd read (I think it's mostly based on the back cover), but I've been very happy with it. The only reason I bought the S3 instead of the OneX is I've owned several HTC phones in the past and always wound up disappointed in one way or another...

Sorry to hear about screen scratches, that is very annoying...
    From what we know the S3 is using the same Gorilla Glass and coating, expect it to be as easy to scratch (or not depending on your view point) as the HTC One X.

There are already threads and posts in both the U.S. and international SGS3 forums reporting this. It appears GG2 isn't as tough as GG1 was.

It only takes one single drop to destroy the s3, so don't know how samboys can come in here to brag about build quality.

What's most fascinating (to me) is that when the SGS3 has an issue the standard response by owners is "it's only happening on a few devices." Any issue, no matter how small on the One X and owners get out the pitchforks and torches and start petitions and polls in thread after thread.

Here are some major issues with the SGS3. When I say "major" I'm talking about the issue itself, not whether millions of phones are affected.

1) As chrisjcjs said, the phone is downright fragile. There are tons of reports of screens shattering from small drops and developing stress cracks from being carried in pockets.

2) There are cracks in the plastic bezel around the display and brand new phones are being sold that way so they passed QC. If it's happening on brand new phones it's something for owners to watch going forward. Coincidentally the bezel on my babied i9100 cracked and I had to send it to the UK for repair before I sold it.

3) There are as many or more issues with the SAMOLED display as there have been in every Samsung device that preceded the SGS3. This includes strange tints on all or parts of the display, “blobs” you can see on dark backgrounds, and the display is considered by many to be dim. The U.S. versions also had their display modes removed so owners can’t even use the “natural” setting to get away from Samsung’s famous over-saturated colors.

4) There have been reports of the display not being centered properly so that the left edge is left open to collect dust and debris.

5) The physical home button is supposed to be raised but on many phones it’s recessed which is a QC issue.

6) The hyperglazed back panel picks up dye from touching things which a lot of people with white phones have been complaining about. The good news is it's easily replaced.

I’m not picking on the SGS3 and If I wanted it over the One X I’d live with all those things. But, it’s clearly not perfect. Where people attack HTC for issues for some reason they give Samsung the benefit of the doubt.

The answer to the microscopic scratches in GG2 isn't a petition, it's a screen protector. I'm not a big fan of them but when I began reading about scratches on the SGS3 and One X forums I got one.

Here's a good when that is as close to the natural look and feel of the screen as I've ever seen before.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/htc-one-x-skin

Here's the XDA discussion about them with pics.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1674946

And a final note for those petitioning and threatening lawsuits, can you show my somewhere in HTC's marketing or support materials where they say the display is "scratch proof?" Or that they’ve guaranteed or implied it’s any more or less scratch resistant than other devices they’ve sold? Everything I've seen says it's "scratch resistant" and that the scratch resistance doesn't come from HTC but their use of Corning Gorilla Glass II. Isn't your ***** really with Corning?

Rant over.
    It only takes one single drop to destroy the s3, so don't know how samboys can come in here to brag about build quality.

Not to mention early reports of screen burn, screen faults, creaking, USB port problems and volume rocker problems - check your own forum.

If people are complaining of scratches - tough ****, look after your device better.

If the screen bothers you that much, you should have been using a screen protector.

... simply put, your own fault.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Wow I'm really surprised when I read these posts

My story I had my one x in my pocket no case or screen protector and was in a rush for the bus and just chucked my coins in my pocket not realising it was the same pocket my one x was in and ran for the bus only when I went to get my coins that I realised my phone had been bouncing around with the coins in my pocket like a washing machine while I was running

Subsequently I almost scrapped myself thinking I've commited the ultimate sin I expected to see a crapload of scratches

To my disbelief besides a couple of light scratches on the polycarbonate back that just rubbed off the screen was fine I remember think what?! That can't be right and for the whole bus ride I was furiously examining the screen, holding it on an angle in the light to try and detect even the most minor of scratches and still found nothing ever since then I couldn't stop praising the screen on the one x

The camera lens was also scratch free but I'm thinking that was just sheer luck

I've said it many times,

Don't be a fool, protect your tool

If you don't want to add a screen protector, then don't be surprised when scratches appear - you guys are aware this is 4.7inch right, and that it's floating on the top by design.....

If not, don't be so arrogant to think you won't get scratches, because you will.

.... Your choice.