[Q] help with rooting

Search This thread

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011
I'm having an early issue trying to root this phone. When I click to get my token I get a prompt that tells says device not found. I've uninatalled and reinstalled the driver 3 times with same result. Oddly though...just as the drivers were done installing I get a blank black prompt window...it kinda flashes then disappears. It seems almost as if the drivers didn't install correctly but they do show up in my programs on my PC. Any ideas?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

TheEmpyre

Sep 23, 2012
I'm having an early issue trying to root this phone. When I click to get my token I get a prompt that tells says device not found. I've uninatalled and reinstalled the driver 3 times with same result. Oddly though...just as the drivers were done installing I get a blank black prompt window...it kinda flashes then disappears. It seems almost as if the drivers didn't install correctly but they do show up in my programs on my PC. Any ideas?

Have you enabled USB Debugging? Also Completely EXIT HTC Sync Manager (Right click on system tray and Exit)

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011
Have you enabled USB Debugging? Also Completely EXIT HTC Sync Manager (Right click on system tray and Exit)

Yes debugging is on...not sure about sync manager. This is my 1st HTC phone. All I did was install the drivers from the link...and of course the toolkit.

TheEmpyre

Sep 23, 2012
Yes debugging is on...not sure about sync manager. This is my 1st HTC phone. All I did was install the drivers from the link...and of course the toolkit.

Ok well you shoud know whether or not you installed HTC Sync Manager, because it would have prompted you to do so when you plugged your phone in for the first time to your PC.

Also, just to clarify, when you click Get Token ID, nothing happens at all? Or does your phone make it into the bootloader screen?

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011
Ok well you shoud know whether or not you installed HTC Sync Manager, because it would have prompted you to do so when you plugged your phone in for the first time to your PC.

Also, just to clarify, when you click Get Token ID, nothing happens at all? Or does your phone make it into the bootloader screen?

When I plug my phone in I do get 2 pop ups, one that says theres hardware to install and an auto play pop up that does say sync manager "USB driver update is available" I've always closed those...should I run the sync manager update? No my phone does nothing when I click token. I get a black box that says device not found.

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011
Well I installed sync but now when I click token I'm told my device is offline.

TheEmpyre

Sep 23, 2012
When I plug my phone in I do get 2 pop ups, one that says theres hardware to install and an auto play pop up that does say sync manager "USB driver update is available" I've always closed those...should I run the sync manager update? No my phone does nothing when I click token. I get a black box that says device not found.

Have you rebooted your PC since you installed the drivers, tried unplugging your phone and plugging it back in to ensure the drivers have installed? You may need to clean up your drivers - there is a tool you can use, I will point it your way. But let me know if you've performed a reboot

Just saw your last post: Make sure now that your HTC Sync is completely closed before you use the toolkit. And by completely exit, I mean you must find the icon in your system tray once you close the program, and right click + Exit. Then try the tool again.

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011
Have you rebooted your PC since you installed the drivers, tried unplugging your phone and plugging it back in to ensure the drivers have installed? You may need to clean up your drivers - there is a tool you can use, I will point it your way. But let me know if you've performed a reboot

No I haven't rebooted...I'll do that now.

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011

Just saw your last post: Make sure now that your HTC Sync is completely closed before you use the toolkit. And by completely exit, I mean you must find the icon in your system tray once you close the program, and right click + Exit. Then try the tool again.
OK, I was able to get into boot and copy my token but when I clicked submit token it opened up an web page but the web page was blank. I remember that I needed to be logged in to the HTC site so I used the link that was emailed yesterday for account confirmation. I'm wondering if I need to log in thru the toolkit??

TheEmpyre

Sep 23, 2012
OK, I was able to get into boot and copy my token but when I clicked submit token it opened up an web page but the web page was blank. I remember that I needed to be logged in to the HTC site so I used the link that was emailed yesterday for account confirmation. I'm wondering if I need to log in thru the toolkit??

http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/

Here is where you need to go, make sure you login - Select the HTC M8 on the list and it will walk you through the process of unlocking your bootloader. However, I am unfamiliar with the toolkit as I am running a mac, and unlocked my bootloader and rooted through different methods. But that is the web-page you must go to. I'm guessing the instructions on the toolkit instruct you to go through that process outlined at the HTC-Dev website.

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011
Still no dice...I'm getting a blank web page when I click the submit token button.

TheEmpyre

Sep 23, 2012
Still no dice...I'm getting a blank web page when I click the submit token button.

Did you go to the website I provided? You can get your unlock token by following the steps provided on the website.

I suppose I should say that if you are not familiar with running fastboot commands and getting your phone into the bootloader then you probably shouldn't use the website there....Perhaps post on the thread for the toolkit to see if anyone can figure out why its not working for you

Last edited:

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011
Did you go to the website I provided? You can get your unlock token by following the steps provided on the website.

I suppose I should say that if you are not familiar with running fastboot commands and getting your phone into the bootloader then you probably shouldn't use the website there....Perhaps post on the thread for the toolkit to see if anyone can figure out why its not working for you

I did go to the link and logged in with same result. The instructions state that I only need to be logged into the site. This is my 1st HTC phone so I'm not fimilar with everything yet. I did post in the Dev section...waiting for a reply.

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011
OK, so I was able to fix the web page issue. It was a problem with Firefox...I uninstalled it and now I'm able to open the toolkits Dev and token pages but I have another dumb issue. I swear I'm not this dumb but when I copy the token and paste it into the webpage...it seems to only copy this < and nothing else. I tried it a few times with same result. I did close everything down and tried to copy a random chunk of token and it did copy/paste but now when I copy it pastes the same small chunk. I rebooted my PC in hopes to removing everything I have copied. We'll see...

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011
I can now copy and paste the token but what would you know....another issue. It must be user error but I'm following the exact instructions. When I copy the code (token start to token end), paste it then click submit...it tells me "invalid boot loader token length". It appears to the look the same as the example given on the site. The guy that posted the video said that it didn't copy a few lines when he pasted his token and he had to manually input them in. I can't see what he was missing due to him blacking out his code. Has anyone else come across this?

TheEmpyre

Sep 23, 2012
I can now copy and paste the token but what would you know....another issue. It must be user error but I'm following the exact instructions. When I copy the code (token start to token end), paste it then click submit...it tells me "invalid boot loader token length". It appears to the look the same as the example given on the site. The guy that posted the video said that it didn't copy a few lines when he pasted his token and he had to manually input them in. I can't see what he was missing due to him blacking out his code. Has anyone else come across this?

If there is even an extra space at the end of the paste it will register invalid. You must make sure there are no spaces. That was often the problem whenever I ran into the same error. Make sure you don't delete any other symbols accidentally as well. It's very precise.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011
If there is even an extra space at the end of the paste it will register invalid. You must make sure there are no spaces. That was often the problem whenever I ran into the same error. Make sure you don't delete any other symbols accidentally as well. It's very precise.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

I'm pretty sure I was spot on with my copy. There's 4 > symbols before the token and 5 at the end. I copy from the 1st < all the way to the end. I'll do it again to make sure I didn't copy any blank spots...I'll update later on.

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011

Sent from my HTC One_M8

You were right. The token pastes one spot over to the right...so I manually backed up each line and it worked. Next I had the file emailed to me. I downloaded the file (unlock_code.bin) Im assuming that the file I need to use is the MiB.bin that's in my down load folder.

TheEmpyre

Sep 23, 2012
You were right. The token pastes one spot over to the right...so I manually backed up each line and it worked. Next I had the file emailed to me. I downloaded the file (unlock_code.bin) Im assuming that the file I need to use is the MiB.bin that's in my down load folder.

Should be just the bin file, just read the instructions and rest assured you can't go wrong. Glad you got the token. Let me know when you're all unlocked! You're so very close my friend.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011
Do you know what the file is called once its downloaded? The file that I downloaded from my email is called unlock_code.bin but I dont see any file with that name...I only see MiB.bin and it didn't work. I'm using chrome browser...maybe I'll try firebox or something. It seems I have an issue after every single step....its frustrating since I'm following very simple instructions.