[BUG] Phone reboots during an active call + USB storage (apps2sd) full

Search This thread

americancrew

Jul 12, 2009
It's me... the person who started this thread here. In summary, I had experienced multiple times of rebooting during a call, after I had my nexus rooted after the second day the phone was on sale. I didn't have enough time to see whether the phone rebooted in the stock rom when the phone was still unrooted. Then it stopped for a period of say a few days, and then starting again. I then wiped it, and put on the r2 modaco rom soon after, and I had experienced it twice on one night. But [keeping my fingers crossed] I haven't experienced after that. I've installed the r3 modaco rom 3-4 days ago. It's running fine right now.

Come to think of it, I guess every time (if not almost every time) when it soft resets, I was on google voice. I only use it to dial out for international calls.

== edit == updated 1-12-2011
Actually, I just experienced 3 resets within 10 mins of talk time calling the same person without being on google voice. I was however using bluetooth this time, and previously as well.
========

Can any of you confirm to see if having google voice on or off makes a difference?

The phone is slightly warm sometimes when it reboots, but not all the time. When it's warm, blu-tooth is on and connected, and it has probably initiated the call for several minutes. I don't think it has to do with the temperature though.

Last edited:

ScooterG

Aug 29, 2009
Gaga land
Happened today for the first time.

Not rooted
WiFi on and connected
BT off
GPS on
Was using Google Voice
Not hot to touch....never seen the battery temp over 92
3 or 4 minutes into call

dudeimgeorge

Jul 26, 2010
NYC
Same here. Have witnessed at least 5 times this thing resetting wbile not in use.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

denis_y_s

Aug 29, 2010
New York
My phone rebooted during phone call 3 times in a past 3 days :mad: aggravating! Does Google know about this issue? How do we report it?

My phone is not rooted and I did not use Google Voice.

Last edited:

kobe8108

Dec 1, 2009
Me too. Its been happening a little over a week now for me. It happened three times last night. The majority of all reboots during a call, were calls longer than 15-20 minutes.

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
EDIT: phone just did a spontaneous reboot while in a received call. New post added to end of thread as well.

I use Google Voice exclusively for SMS, and I use it to place and receive all calls, domestic and foreign.

My NS has never spontaneously rebooted, whether in a call or not...

Last edited:

ScooterG

Aug 29, 2009
Gaga land
@GalaxySsupport: Hi Scooter. We've been unable to replicate this behavior. Perhaps an app is interfering. (cont)

@galaxySsupport.: You could try a hard reset then add back apps one-by-one. Please let me know if I can assist you with this. ^Mary

andymason

Jan 4, 2011
I am also experiencing this issue. Using stock 2.3.1 Nexus S. Four reboots in a row when making calls.

Not rooted.
Bluetooth off.
WIFI on but NOT connected.
GPS on but NOT connected.
Google Voice NOT installed.
90% battery.

N.B. Added comment to the Google Issue

Matterhorn

Nov 29, 2004
Google Pixel 3
Me too. NS reboots during calls. I've already posted about this issue but this seems to be the thread where people first noticed the problem so...

Stock Android 2.3.1
not rooted
not running google voice

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Just had it happen to me for the first time. I starred the issue;; but notice there's only 32 stars on it. Has anyone called the Nexus S help line and asked about or reported this?

If anyone's keeping track:

Rooted (not with superboot)
The call was an incoming call; about 20 mins into the call.

My satisfaction level with the phone has just dropped substantially.

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Apparently Google is aware of the problem as of this morning, per this post in the Google Mobile Help Forums. Last post (8:18 AM this morning) by Ry_Guy...

I'm thinking the Help Forum gets notice from Google employees a lot faster than the bugs report site.

dez93_2000

Jan 17, 2009
San Carlos
Nexus S dropped / dropping calls

post deleted after being merged into this thread - not relevant as background already known

Last edited:

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hi all. Last night I called 02 a few times and the call was dropped and the phone restarted three times, each time a while (~10 - 15 minutes) into the call. The phone rebooted and operated fine after (although, like i say, repeated this behaviour a second ten third time).
No problems before or since to do with anything else.

Anyone experience the same? Any clues or diagnostic tips? :confused:
ta

Hi, there's at least two other threads where this is being discussed. Usually a good idea to search before asking to save yourself the sarcastic replies you're bound to get.

Direct answer to your question, yes, many of us are seeing it. Check out the "phone reboots and usb storage" thread in the QA section.

dez93_2000

Jan 17, 2009
San Carlos
cheers.

One problem with the search is that - especially for problems with generic descriptors - you can do a handful of searches and get hundreds of irrelevant hits, even if the correct thread is out there...

Last edited:

dez93_2000

Jan 17, 2009
San Carlos
In the style of Andy Mason:

I am also experiencing this issue. Using stock 2.3.1 Nexus S. Three reboots in a row when making calls.

Not rooted.
Bluetooth off.
WIFI on but NOT connected.
GPS on but NOT connected.
Google Voice NOT installed.
90% battery.

N.B. Added comment to the Google Issue

All reboots were on calls >15mins.

Last edited:

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
cheers.

One problem with the search is that - especially for problems with generic descriptors - you can do a handful of searches and get hundreds of irrelevant hits, even if the correct thread is out there...

That's why I'm not so hard on people about searching first as some of the others around here are. If the moderator hadn't moved your thread into this one, you'd probably have gotten some remarks about blended kittens (which IS funny) or the like. Search is definitely an art, not a science. ;)

The rebooting problem was reported to Google. Please add your comments and Star it, so Google will be aware of the problem and start fixing it!

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=13674

I'm not sure Google's paying much attention to the code site and the stars, even though I've started several bug reports over there and asked people here to star them.

Google is definitely active in the Google Help Forums, and if you go to the link I posted a couple of posts above here, it might also be beneficial to go there and add a "me too" comment to show Google that a lot of people are experiencing this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all. Last night I called 02 a few times and the call was dropped and the phone restarted three times, each time a while (~10 - 15 minutes) into the call. The phone rebooted and operated fine after (although, like i say, repeated this behaviour a second ten third time).
    No problems before or since to do with anything else.

Anyone experience the same? Any clues or diagnostic tips? :confused:
    ta

Hi, there's at least two other threads where this is being discussed. Usually a good idea to search before asking to save yourself the sarcastic replies you're bound to get.

Direct answer to your question, yes, many of us are seeing it. Check out the "phone reboots and usb storage" thread in the QA section.
    you can capture the log with adb logcat command, or download a logcat app from the Market http://www.appbrain.com/search?q=logcat

Why are you bothering with apps2sd? The Nexus S shares the Galaxy S line's hugh, I mean HUGE, 1GB of "disk" space for apps. I've got almost 100 apps on my phone and not a hint of low space. See the screen capture I've attached: 284mb used for apps, 724mb still free!
    I just reported rebooting issue to the Google. Please add your comments and star it, so Google will be aware of the problem and start fixing it!

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=13674