[ROM][24 Feb] IceCreamSandwich Development/Discussion Thread

Search This thread

lovejoy777

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
Originally Posted by jfb9301
is brightness not functioning? or is it that it does not appear when you pull up the settings menu? If it does not appear, it might be because that menu has to scroll.

Tho you might be right about this build, I think there was a recent build by someone where the brightness didn't function, so it can happen, and it can be fixed.
It appears, just doesn't work...

What build are you using? as bightness works great for me.

Evo_J

Mar 14, 2011
Miami
Can anyone tell me currently what bugs they are and separate them into major and minor categories. I looked at the google spreadsheet and it was a bit confusing since it says Feb 9 is the latest update, and on the spreadsheet it says there are severe bugs in the 2/1 build. I'm going to put it onto a personal friends kindle fire and i don't want any complaints. Can someone respond ASAP, i'm rooting his device tomorrow.

Jessical

Jan 15, 2007
Can anyone tell me currently what bugs they are and separate them into major and minor categories. I looked at the google spreadsheet and it was a bit confusing since it says Feb 9 is the latest update, and on the spreadsheet it says there are severe bugs in the 2/1 build. I'm going to put it onto a personal friends kindle fire and i don't want any complaints. Can someone respond ASAP, i'm rooting his device tomorrow.

This ROM isn't for daily use yet. Bugs vary from device to device. I'd advise you to do your friend a favor and NOT flash until the hardware acceleration and video is fixed as there's still a large amount of applications that have issues on the current builds.

tadaha

Feb 11, 2011
Singapore

1. This is a discussion thread, all the information you need regarding the latest build were probably discussed in the past 20 pages or so.

2. read the OP, this ROM is not for daily use. Either way you're gonna get complaints from your friend.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL

Apologies for posting in this thread but, if your looking for a daily driver, use MoDaCo's GR6 build. Is a solid daily. Haven't had a single issue in any way with it, and I flashed it immediately after he released it.

As for ICS, I've been following this thread since daily 1 and I'm really excited about the progress. Glad I chose the Fire over other tablet/reader options.

lea9ue

Feb 10, 2012
Apologies for posting in this thread but, if your looking for a daily driver, use MoDaCo's GR6 build. Is a solid daily. Haven't had a single issue in any way with it, and I flashed it immediately after he released it.

Modaco's is in no way even close to being in the same lea9ue as ICS. Sure everything works, but you mine as well stay with a rooted stock version if you are going to go that route.

Last edited:

dnathan13

Sep 17, 2010
it has been my daily for the last week and it is running fine. Minor bugs (video, one random reboot, sometimes it takes 20-30 secs to respond to me waking it, but not often). After I got cm9 on my epic I had to update my wife's phone and kindle it is just that good on all our devices

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Reactions: icebuck

luitron

Sep 29, 2010
Philadelphia
I also been using it as my daily and works just fine. I have other ways to watch video's but I'm we to do everything else that I really want especially viewing my internet camera at home from work. Love it!

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

Reactions: nursereese

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
Modaco's is in no way even close to being in the same lea9ue as ICS. Sure everything works, but you mine as well stay with a rooted stock version if you are going to go that route.

That's true, but that wasn't his question. He was asking about stability and a daily driver.

Also, it sticks to stock but you have access to Android Market..main reason why I rooted personally.

Sent from my Nexus One using xda premium

lea9ue

Feb 10, 2012
That's true, but that wasn't his question. He was asking about stability and a daily driver.

Also, it sticks to stock but you have access to Android Market..main reason why I rooted personally.

Ok, anyone rooted with the stock ROM can install the android market without having to flash another rom. So other then a few tweeks, there is no difference between his and stock, and we should all be able to agree that the stock ROM is a POS. ICS in its current state is still better then anything that is remotely close to it. The only reason the OP states its not for daily use is so people stay off the devs back about bugs. I'm just saying, it looks to me like you're trying to divert traffic.;)

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
Ok, anyone rooted with the stock ROM can install the android market without having to flash another rom. So other then a few tweeks, there is no difference between his and stock, and we should all be able to agree that the stock ROM is a POS. ICS in its current state is still better then anything that is remotely close to it. The only reason the OP states its not for daily use is so people stay off the devs back about bugs. I'm just saying, it looks to me like you're trying to divert traffic.;)

Not trying to divert I'm the least. I'm an ICS user myself (Nexus One) and someone who flashed daily experimental roms and kernels like no tomorrow over the years. I'm all for an experience.

If I were doing it for a friend on the other hand who wouldn't know how to handle a crash or freeze, I would use GR6 with ADW EX launcher hands down.

tadaha

Feb 11, 2011
Singapore
for those of you (like me) who have been dying to get back to using swype, an official ICS compatible beta has finally dropped. yay!

http://beta.swype.com/

EDIT: oh geez, so i downloaded the installer after making this post and i'm still getting the unsupported screen size error. :/

Hey, it works on stock or Modaco's gr6 ROM.
So what I did was, install the latest Swype beta on stock/modaco ROM, then use TB to do a backup. After that restore the backup on your ics ROM. Then Swype works perfectly!

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda premium

skullunit

Dec 31, 2011
ive been using it since mid-december and flash every update as they come

works fine for me, if i need netfilx i use my phone or tv :D

Same here, this rom has come a long way. I use it daily and it more than gets the job done. Sure the video playback has issue's but that's no biggie for me.

lovejoy777

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
Swype on kindle fire.

Hey, it works on stock or Modaco's gr6 ROM.
So what I did was, install the latest Swype beta on stock/modaco ROM, then use TB to do a backup. After that restore the backup on your ics ROM. Then Swype works perfectly!

Thanks I transfered the three files from titanium backup to dropbox on my gnex. then copied them over to titanium backup folder on KF then ran T/B restore backups with missing data.

it works like a dream.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IceCreamSandwich Development/Discussion Thread
    Hello everyone! This thread is dedicated to Hashcode's and JackpotClavin's work.
    This is an Android 4.0.3 ROM not meant for daily use! It is based on CyanogenMod 9.

I will not post any instructions how to flash this to your kindle until it is considered to be ready for daily use. If you know how, feel free to do it.

If you want to join us on IRC:
    irc.freenode.net #kindlefire-dev

What works? What doesn't?
    revxx14 created a Google Spreadsheet to collect known bugs. You can find it right here.
    Please take a look at it before reporting any bugs!

A rough list what does not work:
    • Hardware Video Decoding
    • Light sensor
    There is a SOD bug and no, there is no bluetooth.

ROM:
    2012-02-24 cm9-02-24.zip
    ff4e0ea9c27d28b18226e230e2bf2994 by sitic

Changelog:
    +init.d support
    +fix default.prop
    +Test: Apps use now xlarge layout instead of large
    More information here

Google Apps:
    gapps-ics-20120224-signed.zip
    11b5763810edb732379d39b6df9ccbcf

None needed. :)

The devs do all of this for free, remember that. Buy them a drink!
    Here is a new build:

cm9-02-24.zip
    ff4e0ea9c27d28b18226e230e2bf2994

Changelog:
    +init.d support
    +fix default.prop
    +Test: Apps use now xlarge layout instead of large

Remarks:
    * I'm not sure if init.d is working as it should, to my impression it's executing too early. I've tried to set it such that it executes init.d when the sdcard is ready but convinced that that worked. Could someone test it properly for me?

* I'm breaking with Google's guideline for display sizes here, if you look at that graphic
    screens-ranges.png

you'll note that the Fire is on the edge between the large and xlarge layout for apps. However from the code you see that it is using large layout for apps as it has less then 720 Pixel on the short side. In this build it force apps to go with xlarge layouts, i did that to test if apps looks better and use tablet features. Comments on this are welcome, in particular if there are apps which work significant better with this release. However with next build i think i'll go back to the stock large layout.

This build does not include the new boot animation, as that one is not in the cm sources yet. if you really want it, someone used the image from the youtube video to get the boot animation, follow the instructions on this thread. For the battery percentage display: that are changes from cm, i think they'll make a setting for this soon.

I was working on otg (usb host mode) support, the kernel loads it now, but it fails at loading USB 2.0/1.1 drivers (working on this, it's not included in this build).
    here's the .zip with working video. I've also implemented XDA user Chiggins' better volume slider which is much better than my uglier icon

everybody give Chiggins a big thanks! he's the reason we can have nice things

i also cherry-picked a change that hasn't been officially approved that cleans up and fixes some of the touch input code which fixes a lot of the touch events not doing anything. i saw a difference with touch input, hopefully you guys will too :)

md5sum: 43879eaacc0104af2f935c366cbc0244
    http://www.mediafire.com/?y8eocgddv569mdc

this wipes your /system and /cache so you'll have to reflash gapps which can be done consecutively. HD videos do not play with the youtube app, if you come across an hd video that you'd like to watch, just hit the little HD button and it will drop down to normal resolution and will begin playing after that. the little HD button i'm talking about is here

enjoy folks. i think that's it for the major bugs and missing functionality since we've upgraded to ics, now on to the tinier ones :)
    Sound = Working!! Update probably tonight for everybody! Sorry I had been away for quite some time; I had a string of family emergencies and the death of a loved one earlier this week :( Now just video and we should be set!
    I think what would shutting most people up regarding hardware acceleration is if the developers actually discussed it instead of saying a damn goat died, or a kitten, or a puppy.

Right now there is so much debate on Windows 8's Start Screen and if you EVER checked the Building Windows 8 blog, their blog entries seriously are life stories...so much is explained that it gives little reason to nag about.

If we had any kind of information regarding hardware acceleration, I think a lot of us would shutup including me. BUT because the developers refuse to release an update, we're stuck in the dark with people saying we killed kittens. Seriously grow up, I don't need to shutup and a door slammed in my face.

Release an update regarding hardware acceleration, I have some very big doubts that anybody is working on it...maybe once-a-month effort is put into it, not even. I'd like to know that work is being done on it, then MAYBE I wouldn't be so damn doubtful and MAYBE people would stfu already about it.

I'm sorry and I love the development of ICS for the Kindle Fire, but it has a long way to go. Nothing is quite fluid and from what I hear, hardware video decoding is apparently the same thing as hardware acceleration, and apparently none of that works. I want some fluidity on my Kindle Fire running ICS. I could care less for HD video playback, all of my stuff plays fine in standard definition via MX Player.

It sounds like you need a little insight. Let's see if I can bring you some.

ICS (or Android 4.0.3) is based on the Linux 3.0.x kernel. This kernel (opposed to the previous 2.6.x) has a few new bells and whistles which makes some parts of ICS (HW acceleration for example) dependent on the 3.0.x kernel.

The KF is OMAP based (Texas Instrument platform) and has yet to receive the 3.0.x kernel from Amazon. Without the 3.0.x kernel, we have to back-port (i.e reconstruct the new bells and whistles) to the 2.6.x kernel. This is very tedious and time-consuming.

Today, there are basically two paths on this;
    • Back-port everything necessary to the 2.6.x kernel. This is what Hashcode set up to do initially.
    • Get the 3.0.x kernel booting. TI has a working 3.0.x kernel on their OMAP devices named Blaze. The KF has the Otter board in it. Thus, to get it booting we have to customize the config to match the Otter board and be able to debug why our current one isn't.

Right now, most of the work is poured into getting the new 3.0.x working. Unfortunately, the USB interface is initialized quite late in the kernel boot, which makes it really difficult to debug (we're basically blind). That's why I started a thread in finding the UART pins on the KF, to be able to debug properly.

I hope this gave you some well needed information. And hopefully I didn't just encourage you to keep whining.

Ps. I bet pressing the Donate-button will speed things up a little :)

Code:
    While(whine==true) do
       repost this.post
    end