[RECOVERY LOCKED/MJ9] Safestrap Recovery v3.72 [2014-04-03 BETA]

Search This thread

newbroot83

Jan 31, 2013
Hazard, Ky
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
That's what I'm waiting on too. I tried flashing alliance and hit a boot loop, used Odin and back at square 1 rooted have the latest ss and afraid to try anything.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Im just not familiar with cutting into zip files. Ive used ss before on my razr maxx and it was awesome. Once the slots are up im game on.

fuzzychinsagrero

Sep 26, 2012
Im just not familiar with cutting into zip files. Ive used ss before on my razr maxx and it was awesome. Once the slots are up im game on.

Yeah I was shocked when they said no flashing on locked bootloader I'm like my xt912 was locked and flashed the **** out of it.

newbroot83

Jan 31, 2013
Hazard, Ky
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Yeah I was shocked when they said no flashing on locked bootloader I'm like my xt912 was locked and flashed the **** out of it.

Lol yeh. I figured someone would start working on safestrap. I started a thread right after the update asking if anyone was gonna give it a try. When your phone bootlooped while flashing had you removed the boot.img from the zip or just tried to flash it?

fuzzychinsagrero

Sep 26, 2012
Lol yeh. I figured someone would start working on safestrap. I started a thread right after the update asking if anyone was gonna give it a try. When your phone bootlooped while flashing had you removed the boot.img from the zip or just tried to flash it?

Just tried flashing didn't read about deleting I just seen safestrap and flashed lol. So let me see if I read right:

Download N3bula
Extract files
Erase boot.img
Create slot or flash over stock
Wipe all 4 components
And I'll be set?

newbroot83

Jan 31, 2013
Hazard, Ky
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Just tried flashing didn't read about deleting I just seen safestrap and flashed lol. So let me see if I read right:

Download N3bula
Extract files
Erase boot.img
Create slot or flash over stock
Wipe all 4 components
And I'll be set?

As far as I read that is correct. I believe we still have to flash over stock so id make sure I had a working nandroid to work from. The ss post says that we can create rhe rom slots but there is a problem with it booting?

Also I would look up the proper way to use n3bula to make air command work. There is a specific pattern you need to follow but its listed.

fuzzychinsagrero

Sep 26, 2012
As far as I read that is correct. I believe we still have to flash over stock so id make sure I had a working nandroid to work from. The ss post says that we can create rhe rom slots but there is a problem with it booting?

Also I would look up the proper way to use n3bula to make air command work. There is a specific pattern you need to follow but its listed.

Yeah I wrote it down. I'll have to try it on my next day off pretty sure the computers at work won't allow me to use cmd or odin ha.

newbroot83

Jan 31, 2013
Hazard, Ky
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Ahh id say youll get it without a hitch. And even if something does break you should be able to flash your nandroid.

Where did you get the 4.3 odin file and .pit? I need them before I start my venture lol

glockman4519

Jun 5, 2013
Central Pa
plus.google.com
I know this sounds dumb but please bare with me, if my bootloader is locked how can you flash over the stock ROM? I thought that is why Hash and Beans started on safestrap in the first place. I tried it the rom slot way because Trent is running his ROM from the locked up Mj9 on this version of safe strap.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

I was close though. It booted into Trent's ROM and it was working. I had service but no WiFi. I got into settings and looked around and the app drawer as well. This happened before when my phone wasn't updated and locked and all I did was dirty flash the ROM again and the WiFi was fixed so I thought that's what I needed to do this time too. When I rebooted to get back to safe strap that's where I hit a wall and had to start all over again. It was sweet though even if it for a brief while.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium HD app

fuzzychinsagrero

Sep 26, 2012
Ahh id say youll get it without a hitch. And even if something does break you should be able to flash your nandroid.

Where did you get the 4.3 odin file and .pit? I need them before I start my venture lol

Well something happened because it would not install the slot or install over stock.

Here is the link to the files just make sure to get the right ones.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2024207

newbroot83

Jan 31, 2013
Hazard, Ky
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3

fuzzychinsagrero

Sep 26, 2012
Thank you for the files.

What do you mean it wouldnt install? It never passed the install or the install worked but it wouldnt boot?

Well in the case of the Rom slots I couldn't wipe system it would force me out of the wipe screen.

The stock option would say instalation failed.

jkieffer46

Dec 15, 2010
So can we flash other Roms or what? Since we still have the 4.3 boot loader of death, what if we just flash 4.3 Roms? Would that make a difference?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** DISCLAIMER ***
    I work on projects that may brick your device. Don't sue me, hate me or try and kill my dog if that happens. I will feel bad the community will feel bad and hopefully we'll find a way to get you going again. But, the very nature of my projects involves a certain amount of risk taken by YOU. And by using the projects that I work on, you've accepted that fact.

THERE IS AN UNKNOWN ISSUE WHERE IF YOU HAVE ENCRYPTION ENABLED AND INSTALL SS IT BOOTLOOPS. IF YOU FIT THIS DESCRIPTION PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM SAFESTRAP FOR NOW.

Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Safestrap

CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
    BETA

PLEASE FIND A WAY TO THANK XDA USER @Beastmode WHO DID THE INITIAL WORK ON THE SAFESTRAP PORT FOR THE NOTE 2. HE MADE MY JOB QUITE A BIT EASIER.

WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?

Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 2.6.3.x (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:
    1. Here you can create virtual ROM-slots for flashing ROMs. These ROM-slots allow for different sizes of /data and /cache partitions. The defaults *SHOULD* be good enough for flashing the stock-based ROMs but the more apps you want the larger you should make /data.

NOTE: The bigger you make these partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
    2. You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
    3. Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.
    4. For more information you can read up here:
      http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/how-to-safestrap/

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
    1. Requirement: Root
    2. Requirement: Allow APK install from Unknown Sources
    3. Download the Safestrap APK
    4. Find the APK using a Filemanager tool and open it on your device, then click "Install".
    5. (If updating from an existing Safestrap you might be warned that this will over-write the existing installation. Click the "Yes" equivalent to this message.)
    6. Once installed, open up the Safestrap application as you would any other app.
    7. Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
    8. Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
    9. From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.
    10. That's it for the installation! Read below for a brief overview of Safestrap Recovery v3.x

INSTALL VIDEO by DMX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RZIyeUMK-Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?

During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM".
    Press the button shown on the screen to either enter "RECOVERY" or "CONTINUE" booting (or the hard button underneath each option).

HOW DO I UPGRADE SAFESTRAP?
    • Push the APK up to your sdcard.
    • Boot back into the "stock" rom-slot.
    • Go into your old Safestrap app and use the "Uninstall Recovery" button
    • THEN, open a "file explorer" of some sort (even TW "My Files" will work)
    • Browse to where you pushed the APK
    • Click on it and install like normal
    • Once installed, open the APK
    • Grant SU access
    • Use the "Install Recovery" button
    • All set, now you can reboot and re-activate whatever rom-slot you were using

KNOWN ISSUES:
    • BETA SOFTWARE! PLEASE MAKE A BACKUP OF ANYTHING IMPORTANT ON THE DEVICE AND PUT IT SOMEWHERE SAFE (OFF THE DEVICE FOR LATER USE).
    • ROM-slots are still being debugged for use. This is tricky as I don't have a device and am working with testers. Be patient. **NOTE: I'm not asking for a device. Don't send me a device! This port will be fully functional. I just need to debug some boot-up issues.

DOWNLOADS:
    CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE USING A SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 2 RUNNING MJ9

LATEST FILE: Safestrap-T0LTE-3.72-B02.apk
    XDA Downloads
    Mirror 1 (Goo.im)
    Mirror 2 (Crackflasher)

As of version 3.7x, Safestrap Recovery is now based on TWRP 2.7.0.x. For more on TWRP you can visit their website: http://www.teamw.in/

WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.

For the purposes of direct user testing I've established a channel on freenode.net IRC: #safestrap
    I'm in the channel mostly all the time, but may not be active for discussion.

Special Thanks To
    DeesTroy & TeamWin for all their hard work making TWRP such a fantastic recovery

XDA:DevDB Information
    Safestrap Recovery v3.72, a Tool/Utility for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Contributors
    Hashcode, DeesTroy & TeamWin

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 3.72
    Beta Release Date: 2014-04-03

Created 2014-04-03
    Last Updated 2014-04-03
    Reserved

CURRENT TESTS:
    TEST #1: Hijack stability to enter recovery on every boot. RESULT: PASS
    TEST #2: Reboot to recovery functionality RESULT: PASS
    TEST #3: Recovery removal leaves device in clean state RESULT: PASS
    TEST #4: ADB access from recovery RESULT: NEED VERIFIED
    TEST #5: ROM-slot creation RESULT: PASS
    TEST #6: Backup stock ROM RESULT: PASS
    TEST #7: Restore stock ROM backup to stock slot: NEED VERIFIED
    TEST #8: Initial 2nd-init ROM installation on rom-slot RESULT: TESTING / DEBUGGING
    TEST #9: Custom ROM flash on rom-slot: TESTING / DEBUGGING
    Progress:
    I'd say about 30% done maybe a few clicks more. Ill release an alpha soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app
    Hash does it again! :D

Thanks bro!
    Sorry for the non update but i only have the note2 over the weekend as its my brother and i switch with him but so far my app installs but fails to flash the recovery. Still checking will probably be a bit longer than expected but no worries im not a quitter :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using XDA Free mobile app