[Q] Cannot update my i747

Search This thread

bennyc1213

Feb 14, 2011
New York
Hello all,

I had my s3 rooted, and unlocked with stock ROM. And I think I've also freeze my "AT&T Software Update" a while ago, so it was stuck on 4.1.1. Now, I would like to update my firmware to 4.3 or newer, and stay stock. I tried to go to the setting and select Software update, but nothing happen. I've also tried to find that "AT&T Software Update" in Titanium Pro, but have no result. Can anyone point me to the right direction on how I can do it?

Thanks

pcshano

Dec 29, 2012
You can't update if you're rooted
So in order to update you need to unroot or just download the 4.3 firmware and flash thru Odin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hello all,

I had my s3 rooted, and unlocked with stock ROM. And I think I've also freeze my "AT&T Software Update" a while ago, so it was stuck on 4.1.1. Now, I would like to update my firmware to 4.3 or newer, and stay stock. I tried to go to the setting and select Software update, but nothing happen. I've also tried to find that "AT&T Software Update" in Titanium Pro, but have no result. Can anyone point me to the right direction on how I can do it?

Thanks

You can do a 2-step manual update from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 and then to 4.3. Please go to page 300 of the thread below to see my steers to another user on exactly the same issue.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1849043&page=300

bennyc1213

Feb 14, 2011
New York
You can do a 2-step manual update from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 and then to 4.3. Please go to page 300 of the thread below to see my steers to another user on exactly the same issue.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1849043&page=300

Thanks Larry. That's a really helpful information. One question though, if I do these manual update, am I expecting all data will be gone? Or will it simply update the firmware, and leave everything alone?

Thanks again

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Updating to a stock 4.3 ROM will install Knox too. Rooting will trip the Knox counter. If you have no warranty on your phone, this will not be a problem.
lo
You should also know that Knox can sometimes interfere with obtaining root. Once you're on a 4.3 bootloader, you cannot downgrade the bootloader.

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Larry. That's a really helpful information. One question though, if I do these manual update, am I expecting all data will be gone? Or will it simply update the firmware, and leave everything alone?

Thanks again

I should have mentioned that earlier. Yes, updating can affect all your data so I would advise you first back up your data. You can install Samsung Kies on your phone and use this to back up your data, apps and everything else you want and restore afterwards. Please see also Audit's post. Updating to the latest firmware which is 4.3 could be a one-way trip and will install Knox security on your phone. The update will unroot your phone, restore to factory settings and install stock recovery. If you decide to re-root afterwards, however, there are several ways of doing this.