Sprint to activate LTE on 800mhz band... in 2014

Search This thread

DevalB

Jul 9, 2008
NYC
Wait the Evo 3D can do LTE? I've heard about the Photon maybe being able but never about the Evo3D.. Damn are phones came out after those two phones and we know for sure we don't have LTE. We couldve at least got the same treatment to keep us happy!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

I'd chalk that up to speculation

RayTrue04

Oct 27, 2010
Hartford, CT

stkiswr

Aug 11, 2010
Really??

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Just my personal opinion. I live in Warner robins for over 2 years I have been in a test area for Wimax. It covers maybe 2 sq miles at best. For the entire 2 years. It has never improved nor expanded.
Wimax was released in only 5 major markets and 2 years later, while it did roll out to better markets it was promised to be better and flopped. While Verizon has steadily dropped lte everywhere it can and is constantly dropping.
Its just my opinion since lte from sprint is promised as the exact same roll out procedure that Wimax did. 5 major markets then expansion. I just don't see it happening and fully covering for a long time. Maybe 2015. And I'm sure it still won't cover my area. I'm not concerned. I can always go back to sprint at any time. But I will not suffer w the speeds they are currently offering in my area when less than $20 extra a month is giving me a min of 1mb dl speeds and usually 1.7mb+ everywhere I am on 3g. That's plenty from most of what I do.
I hope sprint does push network vision but in my experience w sprint is that they are nit aggressive enough to expand their network. While other carriers clearly are.

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
I too am disappointed. Let me find an article that will explain how stupid Sprint is for wasting money and time. 800 is so much better for signal!!!!

Sent from Team KC's founding member HTC Evo 4G LTE.

No no no no! Many reasons what they are doing is right. One they don't hold the necc spectrum everywhere in the 800 block to roll out much competitively anyway, and being that it STILL has yet to get fully approved by the FCC to put LTE there It's pointless...
What they are doing now will essentially give everyone LTE signal that can have 3G coverage now. That's huge to do in 2 yrs which will be quicker than VZ has rolled theirs out.

Also the 800 band really is the advantage when they get LTE Advance rolled out in handsets and allow the aggregation...currently there are only 2 chips that can do this and they are both Qualcomm MDM chips....

Also on top of the 1900 5x5 they have planned to roll out an additional 5x5 in that freq too in some areas which they have it....

So would you rather them deploy and cover everyone that currently get 3G giving them LTE or have them deploy on a freq that isn't even approved yet for LTE and likely won't till this fall according to S4gru?...

Btw all these other posters talking about current phones having lte hidden are flat out crazy...hope u guys r joking there. Lol

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

DevalB

Jul 9, 2008
NYC
No no no no! Many reasons what they are doing is right. One they don't hold the necc spectrum everywhere in the 800 block to roll out much competitively anyway, and being that it STILL has yet to get fully approved by the FCC to put LTE there It's pointless...
What they are doing now will essentially give everyone LTE signal that can have 3G coverage now. That's huge to do in 2 yrs which will be quicker than VZ has rolled theirs out.

Also the 800 band really is the advantage when they get LTE Advance rolled out in handsets and allow the aggregation...currently there are only 2 chips that can do this and they are both Qualcomm MDM chips....

Also on top of the 1900 5x5 they have planned to roll out an additional 5x5 in that freq too in some areas which they have it....

So would you rather them deploy and cover everyone that currently get 3G giving them LTE or have them deploy on a freq that isn't even approved yet for LTE and likely won't till this fall according to S4gru?...

Btw all these other posters talking about current phones having lte hidden are flat out crazy...hope u guys r joking there. Lol

Thanks dude! Great post

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
Thanks dude! Great post

I just don't think ppl understand sprint will be blanketed with LTE in 2yrs and VZ will still be rolling out it seems lighting up little dots on their map...

It's absolutely amazing what sprint is doing here! The mere backhaul change is enough to silence many complaints of sprint in itself...

DevalB

Jul 9, 2008
NYC
I just don't think ppl understand sprint will be blanketed with LTE in 2yrs and VZ will still be rolling out it seems lighting up little dots on their map...

It's absolutely amazing what sprint is doing here! The mere backhaul change is enough to silence many complaints of sprint in itself...

In my experience with web boards, there is this unnecessary hatred for Sprint.

Jayavarman

Jan 20, 2011
Just my personal opinion. I live in Warner robins for over 2 years I have been in a test area for Wimax. It covers maybe 2 sq miles at best. For the entire 2 years. It has never improved nor expanded.
Wimax was released in only 5 major markets and 2 years later, while it did roll out to better markets it was promised to be better and flopped. While Verizon has steadily dropped lte everywhere it can and is constantly dropping.
Its just my opinion since lte from sprint is promised as the exact same roll out procedure that Wimax did. 5 major markets then expansion. I just don't see it happening and fully covering for a long time. Maybe 2015. And I'm sure it still won't cover my area. I'm not concerned. I can always go back to sprint at any time. But I will not suffer w the speeds they are currently offering in my area when less than $20 extra a month is giving me a min of 1mb dl speeds and usually 1.7mb+ everywhere I am on 3g. That's plenty from most of what I do.
I hope sprint does push network vision but in my experience w sprint is that they are nit aggressive enough to expand their network. While other carriers clearly are.
Wimax was Clearwire.

ndmoh1

Sep 19, 2011
I think people have misunderstood this piece of news. Sprint is still rolling out LTE this year. This is additional LTE to what they are rolling out this year. The addition of 800 mhz LTE is part of network vision, its one if the last pieces.

Last pieces to improve data speed or just integrate new technology? Wish they would improve what they currently instead of just joining the race.
:cool::cool:

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
Last pieces to improve data speed or just integrate new technology? Wish they would improve what they currently instead of just joining the race.
:cool::cool:

Read up bud, as that's the very plan...networkvision includes improving everything from the ground up at the tower...one of the biggest will be the backhaul upgrade to microwave/fiber based from the current ancient bundled T1 based... This will help a ton of the capacity issues on towers...3G should be constant all day 1-3Mbps and sub 100ms ping when done.

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
I understand different technologies but has sprints lte hit anywhere? Seems silly to release lte capable phones, if they drop this month and have no coverage. I dunno. I hope they get their **** together and all this waiting for years is worth it

Hit up S4GRU.com and look around...there are some active LTE sites out there and the wave of them coming online should start to puck up fast here in near future for rest of year and next...

nameless-

Jun 6, 2010
i love sprint, but they definately made alot of mistakes with 4G, i hope they can get this LTE rolled out in a timely manner

deedscreen

Nov 4, 2010
Connecticut
I respect and fully understand the problem but this is a pretty serious situation.
Sprint is already far behind the big two...and actually they're behind T-Mobile and Metropcs too.

How much longer can they afford to delay?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

As in LTE, correct? Nevermind, T-Mobile doesn't have LTE! :)

Sprint is still the Nation's #3rd Wireless Carrier in the Popularity of Major Carriers... sorry to say that MetroPCS is not on that list.

Sent from my Epic Touch running Blazer Rom via xda premium

Sakujou

Apr 13, 2009
Samsung Epic 4G Touch
OnePlus 6
As in LTE, correct? Nevermind, T-Mobile doesn't have LTE! :)

Sprint is still the Nation's #3rd Wireless Carrier in the Popularity of Major Carriers... sorry to say that MetroPCS is not on that list.

Sent from my Epic Touch running Blazer Rom via xda premium

At least my friend which has Metro gets faster 3G speeds than my Epic 4G touch. Yea. Contract is over I'm jumping ship to VZW; I've tried out VZW 4g everywhere I go its ultra fast never a loss in signal, and can stream any video on youtube within a second...my epic 4g touch?? Lets wait 5 minutes for this video to load...

johndeleon0

Apr 24, 2012
Sprint vs Verizon

After having Sprint for about 2 years and never getting a speed higher than 800kbs, I decided to switch to Verizon. I get at least 10MBS with Verizon. Major difference when getting an MMS message and not having to wait for it to download. Using SoundHound to see who sings a song and it not timing out with a failed to communicate with server error message. Posting pictures to Facebook and having them uploaded within seconds instead of minutes and usually failing with Sprint. Perhaps if Sprint proves itself and deploys LTE as planned I may switch back, but at the present time the Verizon Motorola Droid Razr and combined speeds of the network all is great.

air2k57

Oct 5, 2009
A lot of the problems are already starting to arise due to smartphone tech. While advanced users know the issues which have been present on Sprint for over a year now, your average Joe is just starting to experience them and learn that other carriers are not like this when it comes to date.

Every app is getting bigger in size as they become more and more robust. On top of that, many apps have high quality imagery = requires decent speeds. More and more users use social media = decent data required. More and more users use social media picture sharing apps = decent data required. Push news update, videos, etc etc... all of that requires decent data speeds, otherwise you sit there and buffer. With Android web browsing becoming even more robust, and iPhone is being similar... decent data speeds are essentially required to do anything. And while some of the people can be on wifi for majority of the time, many are not always in WIFI area.

So, what is happening now? Users start to ***** about how slow their phone is, which isn't the phone, but the network. Big read and ATT have LTE going live all over. Where are they going to be by 2014 when sprint will just have basic LTE coverage in some cities? Where will smartphone tech be in 2014? Do you guys think many will want to sacrifice their smart phone experience for unlimited data on the buffer now network?

DevalB

Jul 9, 2008
NYC
Sprint will have LTE up on their 1900mhz network by end of 2013...read up on Network Vision and the LTE deployment discussions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sprint employee here...can I clarify please?

Sprint is running LTE on 1900mhz g-block, a 10mhz chunk totally clear of traffic today, with a nationwide license. This means that the LTE coverage will mirror 3G coverage eventually.

On top of that, Sprint has roughly 14-18mhz of ESMR (800mhz) spectrum allocated for iDEN users. As that network gets sunsetted, the spectrum will be repurposed for 1xAdvanced, which will allow 4x the capacity for voice calls and 1x data.

Each one of the Network Vision sites will be upgraded with significantly enhanced backhaul, which will provide great 3G and LTE speeds. Granted, Sprint will deploy LTE on a 5x5 configuration, v.s. Verizon which is doing 10x10, or AT&T, who is trying to do 10x10 wherever possible. Difference being, with Network Vision, Sprint is upgrading each cell site, requiring a single truck roll, not an "overlay" like Verizon.

If you look at Verizon's LTE deployment, they are basically adding LTE radios and equipment to their existing sites. Sprint is upgrading their existing site and installing equipment which can run on any frequency, with any spectrum, with any technology. In theory, you'll get LTE coverage exactly the same as 3G coverage, so it will be consistent across the board.

Along with that, there is also LTE rev10 or LTE Advanced, which does spectrum bonding, which will allow a device to use both the 5x5 1900mhz and 5x5 800mhz, for LTE. Much faster speeds with existing equipment.

If you think about it, a device term/contract is 2 years, so you won't be upgrading your phone for at least 20 months, which means any device you purchase today will take full advantage of Network Vision, including LTE. Hell, even our Epic Touchs will get a faster data speed and increased coverage.
    Yeah was a bit mad when I saw this. If data speeds don't pick up for me by the time my contract comes up for renewal I'm going to Verizon. 2014 is too far away to deal with dial up speeds and closest Wimax tower about 50 miles away.
    So let me get this right so sprint will not turn on lte untol 2014?

No no no.
    LTE will be on as soon as this year in many places.
    They will NOT activate the 800mhz band until 2014.

(The 800mhz band is the real game changer for Sprint)

And THAT is why I think this needs to be as rushed as possible.
    With all due respect, unless you're downloading large files, you're not going to see a difference between 3mbps and "4g" speeds.

There's absolutely nothing you cannot do with your phone at 3mbps.

That includes HD movie streaming and video conferencing etc etc

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I think HD might need a lil more than 3mbps. I was just watching a HD vid on youtube and it kept buffering like crazy. Did a speedtest and for some reason my speeds are low in the 2-3mbs range right now. Plus dont other hd services like vudu require a connection of about 10mbps for HD? At least i recall it that way. Not saying ur wrong I'm just saying :p

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA