[How-To] bootloader-unlock your Lumia 800 and flash a custom rom

Search This thread

Larsey

Jan 7, 2015
HI!
I've just installed Ubuntu with VirtualBox but when I run the command sudo fdisk -l the device does not show! Just the sda 1, 2 and 5.

I would expect it to show as sdb or something? When I plug it in i hold the VOL+ button and it vibrates two times. On the hostmachine it is detected as Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM which I activate in the virtualbox (without the driver as I cant find a driver for it in Windows 7/8.1). It should be able to detect it!

If I do the same thing, but boot the phone i regular mode Ubuntu recognizes the device as the phone.

Anyone have a clue?

Swappage

Feb 9, 2014
Hi,
once you have connected the device to virtualbox,
try running in terminal the following command
Code:
# lsusb

and see if the device is displayed correctly in the list

also

Code:
# dmesg

after the device has been connected to the guest machine can help you to troubleshoot the reasons why the device is not properly detected.

Also consider that sometimes the USB implementation in virtualbox can result in problems with certain devices, which simply don't show up. it happened to me before with wifi adapters for instance.

In the meanwhile i have a question myself,
i've seen a post about using chimera for unlocking the bootloader from DLOAD to qualcomm
is it reliable?
and most importantly, will the process causes data loss?
i'm in the urgent need of reading the internal flash for data recovery purposes, and i was wondering if i could use some tool (chimera or ATF) to flash the boot loader to qualcomm, and then access the internal flash via USB using DD.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear XDA community,

everyday i'm reading new questions from users, how they have to unlock their Lumia 800 and how they can flash custom roms onto it...
    So i decided to make this how-to-thread.

I'll keep this post updated as an overview:
    post 2: Bootloader unlock DLOAD Lumia 800 to Qualcomm
    post 3: Backup and flash your L800 with Ubuntu, flash in Windows using dewe's Lumia Downloader 0.5
    post 4: How-To use USB-Video-Out

So please, guys, read this thread, and if you don't understand, feel free to ask. :good:
    Bootloader unlock DLOAD Lumia 800 to Qualcomm

If you want to flash a custom rom, you need to have a Lumia 800 with qualcomm bootloader.

But it's a difficult way to make your DLOAD Lumia 800 to Qualcomm:

You need two main things:
    1. You need ATF flasher box
    2. You need good soldering skills or the special atf cables from gpg industries

Here's a tutorial to SIM-Unlock a Lumia 800: How-To SIM-Unlock your Lumia 800 - gsmhosting.com
    This is almost the same procedure for "bootloader-unlocking" your Lumia 800.
    You just do not need to click SP-Unlock, you need to click "boot repair" (and select qualcomm, of course).

Here's the thread of the special cables: No more soldering for lumia 610,710,800,900 easiest osbl swap ever
    These cables do not require you to solder your device. You only need to open up your phone and connect it to the cable and your ATF Box.

So, if you don't want, or can't buy such a box, check for a local phone repair shop in your town/city. If they have ATF, i'm sure they can do this for you for a small amount.

Hope this helps.
    Flash your custom rom using dewe's Lumia Downloader 0.5

Dewe's Nokia Lumia Downloader 0.5

I attached the Nokia Lumia Downloader 0.5 for flashing your Lumia 800 easily in Windows.
    Thx to dewe for his great work!

This requires your Lumia 800 to have the qualcomm bootloader!!

First: make a backup of ALL 9 partitions of the phone!
    This might really save your ass ;) Id did save mine more than once :D :good:

1. Install Ubuntu to your computer, or use Ubuntu-Live-CD

2. put phone into "Qualcomm Mode" by pressing VOL UP + POWER and connect it to your pc

3. check with
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    how your phone appears in ubuntu

4. backup your partitions using this:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/sd[B]X[/B]1 of=/media/Data/backup1.bin
    sudo dd if=/dev/sd[B]X[/B]2 of=/media/Data/backup2.bin
    sudo dd if=/dev/sd[B]X[/B]3 of=/media/Data/backup3.bin
    up to
    sudo dd if=/dev/sd[B]X[/B]9 of=/media/Data/backup9.bin
    where the X is your special letter, mostly it's b, c, or d.
    if = your input file
    of = your output file
    And this might take up to 2 hours.

Restoring your backups is the exact opposit.

second: you can now flash your Lumia 800.
    because you're already in Ubuntu, you can flash it using:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/path/to/your/os-new.nb of=/dev/sd[B]X[/B]9
    You MUST flash the os-new.nb file to partition 9!!!

Or you can use attached Nokia Lumia Downloader on Windows.

1. Connect your phone in "qualcomm mode"
    2. open the Tool with admin rights in Windows
    3. Klick "download" and select os-new.nb file

NOTICE: when you connect the phone in "qualcomm mode" in windows, you'll get a message of formatting the drive. DO NOT DO THAT!!!! CLICK CANCEL! If you format, your phone's broken.
    Oh, I was about to write that I'm flashing my phone on Windows but then I saw this method below the Ubuntu.
    Isn't it better to put the windows method above the ubuntu? I think more ppl use Windows and possibly won't se the windows method as me :p
    Oh, I was about to write that I'm flashing my phone on Windows but then I saw this method below the Ubuntu.
    Isn't it better to put the windows method above the ubuntu? I think more ppl use Windows and possibly won't se the windows method as me :p

Hi, thx for reply, i wrote it this way, because i wanted to point out, that it is really recommended to make a backup.
    If i put the windows flashing above, most people will stop reading, and don't make a backup :D

I think this way, more people read the backup story, so it's their choice if they don't make one :p