[Recovery] RA Revamped for Iconia HC&ICS

Search This thread

drellisdee

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 22, 2008
East Coast
Note 3.16 and below are for HoneyComb bootloader 3.17 & up are for ICS patched bootloader.

This is built from my forked Amon Ra recovery source.

WARNING UNLESS YOU ARE VERY FAMILIAR AND COMFORTABLE USING COMMANDLINE/TERMINAL DO NOT MESS WITH THE EXT3|EXT4 MENU. MESSING WITH THE PARTITION FORMATS CAN LEAVE YOUR ICONIA IN A STATE THAT IS UNABLE TO BOOT NORMALLY AND REQUIRES FIXING VIA COMMANDLINE. Fix for ignoring this warning is done by running "iconia_repair.sh help" from command line in recovery.

Full source for both Apache licensed recovery and GPL licensed kernel & busybox are here

Recovery Features:

Special features for acer iconia :
Touch enabled UI
Can use usb flash drive or normal sdcard as sdcard to flash roms and to use in nandroid backup/restore.
Automatically runs itsmagic on boot
External sdcard mass storage works on iconia
Automatically backs up usb serial (uuid) and the start of mmcblk0 in nandroid backup.
Will not remove /data/media unless full ext wipe option is selected (off by default)

ADB as root user

USB-MS Toggle :mounts sdcard as mass storage

Backup/Restore:
Nand Backup : Select Items to backup with the [X]
Nand Restore : browse to and select nandroid backup items with [X] to restore
Nand Restore Clockwork : browse to and restore cwm backup

Flash Zip From Sdcard: Update.zip must be in root of sdcard or you can directory browse.
Toggle Signature Verify : Toggle on/off signature checking on flashing zips

Wipe Menu:
Wipe data/factory reset: wipes all (data, cache, android_secure & dalvik if outside of /data)
Wipe cache
Wipe Dalvik cache : Wipes Dalvik cache in all possible locations if moved by apps2sd
Wipe SD:ext : Wipes Apps2sd ext partition
Wipe Battery Stats
Wipe rotate settings
Wipe data only
Wipe system
Wipe sdcard
Wipe .android secure : Wipes froyo+ native .android_secure on sdcard
Toggle full ext wipe: Toggles full or quick wipe of ext partitions

Partition Sdcard:
Partition SD: Partition's sdcard for apps2sd (this formats card so all non backed-up data is lost)
Repair Sd:ext
SD:ext2 to ext3 : coverts apps2sd ext2 partition to ext3
SD:ext3 to ext4 : same as above but ext3 to ext4 (

Mounts:
Gui mounts to avoid typing in terminal to mount system, data, cache, sd-ext (if exists), sdcard

Other:
Fix Permissions
Move recovery log to SD
Key Test : Output keycodes for debugging recovery
Check Battery Lvl

Ext3|4 menu: Formatting and re-formatting of partitions

Developer menu:
Make and flash boot from zImage : This makes a mkboot folder on sdcard and mounts sdcard as mass storage then you copy a zImage and kernel modules into this folder and it will create a new boot like anykernel and flash it.
Install su & superuser: Installs or fixes su & superuser install (removes old if exists)
Install eng (unguarded) su: Installs engineering su that doesn't use superuser (removes old su & superuser if exists)
Reboot to bootloader: reboots to bootloader/hboot
Reboot recovery : reboots phone back into recovery

Trouble Shooting:
Use option under Other menu to move recovery log to sd. Mount your sdcard to pc and read that file called recovery.log which will be on your external sdcard. It should have detailed cause of error if its not self-explainatory upload it here as an attachment and then post details about the error. Posts without the log are a complete waste of my time and will be ignored as there is no usable info to assist me in troubleshooting it. You will also be told to go visit /dev/null.

Special Thanks:
Thanks to :
Amon Ra
Koush
Sc2k for itsmagic and getuid.ko
Gweedo767 & CEnnis91 for the touch ui
Skrilax_CZ for patched ICS bootloader & setbootmode

Last edited:

drellisdee

Jan 22, 2008
East Coast
Download Section:

To flash on HC bootloader(requires root):

run itsmagic then

Code:
adb push recovery-ra-iconia-3.13-gnm.img /sdcard
adb shell
su
dd if=/sdcard/recovery-ra-iconia-3.13-gnm.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
sync
reboot recovery

To flash on ICS Patched Bootloader:
fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img

V3.17 Recovery flashable zip : recovery-ra-iconia-3.17-gnm.zip

ICS recovery-ra-iconia-3.17-gnm.img
md5sum e74dd63395baed6d00c724024ab2d5cc recovery-ra-iconia-3.17-gnm.img

recovery-ra-iconia-3.16-gnm.img
md5sum 357a7033171585005db89d505b6b7c65 recovery-ra-iconia-3.16-gnm.img

recovery-ra-iconia-3.15-gnm.img
md5sum f40fc8fe8708df75583338d09be33ea0 recovery-ra-iconia-3.15-gnm.img

recovery-ra-iconia-3.14-gnm.img
md5sum d69390b62dd914a440ca2ae90ff95a0a recovery-ra-iconia-3.14-gnm.img

recovery-ra-iconia-3.13-gnm.img
md5sum 292d0a37cc7971baab2b32d6dae0d74c recovery-ra-iconia-3.13-gnm.img

Flashable zip for 3.13 is here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21727826&postcount=13

Changelog 3.14 :
Added menu option to wipe flexrom and also included it in the default wipe all
Added option to flash a zip from internal storage
Added warnings on using the ext3|4 menu
Added recovery shell script called iconia_repair.sh for users that ignore the above warning and have corrupted their partitions. To use call "iconia_repair.sh help" from adb shell in recovery.

Changelog 3.15
Fixed wipe boot option on emmc devices
Fixed ext3|ext4 format menu for iconia & updated the iconia_repair.sh script to match (still may error 1st time if users used this option on 3.13 or 3.14 to format use script to repair and it will work properly from there out)
Itsmagic is now built into recovery binary
Sdcard is now unmounted after flashing a zip from it.

Changelog 3.16
Fixed nandroid restore from usb stick
Added ability to nandroid restore a cwm backup from usb stick

Changelog 3.17
Updated for ICS patched bootloader
Removed auto run of itsmagic (still there from cmd line)
Updated Mass storage in recovery to 2.6.39 kernel
Compiled setbootmode into recovery -- call setbootmode from cmd line to use
Default quick wipe and nandroid backup skips /data/linux directory if present -- toggling full ext wipe will still remove and reformat 100% of /data
Note: nandroid backup folder is changed from nvmem=* to your devices serial # so you may need to manually move old RA backups into new folder.
Updated su & superuser.apk to current

Last edited:
K

kjy2010

Thanks bro. Just downloaded it. Will give it a try in the am. Off to bed!
;)

elborak

Jun 8, 2010
Just gave it a quick test. Seemed to work fine (touch controls & backup). Haven't tried a restore yet, which is the true test.

Much thanks! This looks extremely promising.

bigwilly90210

Nov 18, 2009
just curious, being a first time venturing a little bit with my a500, how does one run "itsmagic"? i'm having issues with my windows 7 x64 pc recognizing my tablet running thor's latest ICS build 89 over adb, so would it be possible for somebody to make this as a flashable zip from the recovery i already have installed? or is that crazy... i flash new recoveries all the time for my fascinate or droid 1 in CWMR so I'm just curious. thanks!

joe9002

Jan 16, 2011
Same here ive looked at the old its magic thread from way back and still not sure how to call it.
would some one be able to put together s CWM .zip for us to save alot of the same posts?

bigwilly90210

Nov 18, 2009
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF device

List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF device

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push recovery-ra-i
conia-3.13-gnm.img /sdcard
1665 KB/s (5001216 bytes in 2.932s)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
root@android:/ # su
su
su
root@android:/ # dd if=/sdcard/recovery-ra-iconia-3.13-gnm.img of=/dev/block/mmc
blk0p1
a-3.13-gnm.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 <
/sdcard/recovery-ra-iconia-3.13-gnm.img: cannot open for read: Not a directory
1|root@android:/ # sync
sync
root@android:/ # sudo
sudo
sh: sudo: not found
127|root@android:/ # su
su
root@android:/ # exit
exit
root@android:/ # ^C
su
root@android:/ # itsmagic
itsmagic
sh: itsmagic: not found
127|root@android:/ # ^C
List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF device

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push recovery-ra-i
conia-3.13-gnm.img /sdcard
1932 KB/s (5001216 bytes in 2.527s)

su
root@android:/ # dd if=/sdcard/recovery-ra-iconia-3.13-gnm.img of=/dev/block/mmc
blk0p1
a-3.13-gnm.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 <
/sdcard/recovery-ra-iconia-3.13-gnm.img: cannot open for read: Not a directory
1|root@android:/ #

this is what i get. :( not a directory? Does thor's ICS have something set up differently? I'd love to get a legit recovery up in here. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

just for anyone looking in, joe9002 for example, I followed the steps from here to find out you have to run the second set of command in the terminal on the tablet. much easier with a usb keyboard, i might add. got it installed and running nicely. it ain't pretty, but the touch does work. I guess i was expecting more like TWRP with big icons, but not having to use the way too recessed volume buttons is awesome. thanks guys!!!!!

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
If This is a .img. put on your sd card at the same place as the cwm thors recovery .. Acer Recovery installer should See and Install this.. Or am i missing something..
DO NOT TRY JUST BECAUSE I AM ASKING THIS.. But sounds logical.

K

kjy2010

I just created and tested a CWM flashable file of this image. There's one in the attachment of this post, or you can download it HERE

Attachments

• recovery-ra-iconia-3.13.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 1,819
Last edited:
K

kjy2010

If This is a .img. put on your sd card at the same place as the cwm thors recovery .. Acer Recovery installer should See and Install this.. Or am i missing something..
DO NOT TRY JUST BECAUSE I AM ASKING THIS.. But sounds logical.

NOT logical at all!
You need a script run to install it. See post above!!!!:eek:

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL
I just created and tested a CWM flashable file of this image. There's one in the attachment of this post, or you can download it HERE

You rock! Thanks a ton, as I don't do ADB since I have too many Android devices in this house, and every time I get one connected to my desktop it breaks the connection of the others.

Now, am I reading correctly that we have to manually run itsmagic with this or does it automatically do it? I think I speak for more than just myself when I say I have no idea how or even when to do this.

Has anyone done a successful recover?

K

kjy2010

You rock! Thanks a ton, as I don't do ADB since I have too many Android devices in this house, and every time I get one connected to my desktop it breaks the connection of the others.

Now, am I reading correctly that we have to manually run itsmagic with this or does it automatically do it? I think I speak for more than just myself when I say I have no idea how or even when to do this.

Has anyone done a successful recover?

If I read it correctly, you needed to run It's Magic to install it, then the Recovery ran it on it's own, as there's no way to manually run it's magic from recovery, but that's a moot point as I created the flashable zip to install it ;)

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL
If I read it correctly, you needed to run It's Magic to install it, then the Recovery ran it on it's own, as there's no way to manually run it's magic from recovery, but that's a moot point as I created the flashable zip to install it ;)

Oops...see that now in the OP. Thanks. Sorry, the running itsmagic as part of the install process through me for a loop. I know that I've seen Thor's CWM recovery automatically loading it, and I was worried that with this recovery we'd have to do it manually.

Alright. Maybe I'll be the guinea pig and try a restore.

drellisdee

Jan 22, 2008
East Coast

Yes itsmagic is needed to call the bootloader re-write of partition checksums. Itsmagic is executed in both my recovery and thor's on boot. To call it manually in either recovery which is not needed as its already done you would do either "itsmagic" from adb shell in recovery or from updater-script run_program("/sbin/itsmagic"); or call it in a script in a flashable zip.

Alright. Maybe I'll be the guinea pig and try a restore.

It works I developed and tested this on my own a500 I just got a few days ago. The beta restore CWM backup option only works for a true sdcard not the usb_drive. The amon ra backup & restore options will work with both usb_drive and sdcard fyi.

Last edited:
K

kjy2010

Yes itsmagic is needed to call the bootloader re-write of partition checksums. Itsmagic is executed in both my recovery and thor's on boot. To call it manually in either recovery which is not needed as its already done you would do either "itsmagic" from adb shell in recovery or from updater-script run_program("/sbin/itsmagic"); or call it in a script in a flashable zip.

It works I developed and tested this on my own a500 I just got a few days ago. The beta restore CWM backup option only works for a true sdcard not the usb_drive. The amon ra backup & restore options will work with both usb_drive and sdcard fyi.

Thanks again dell! We needed an alternative to the GPL non-compliant CWM that we had!
Your work is GREATLY appreciated and the touch screen is an added bonus! ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note 3.16 and below are for HoneyComb bootloader 3.17 & up are for ICS patched bootloader.

This is built from my forked Amon Ra recovery source.

WARNING UNLESS YOU ARE VERY FAMILIAR AND COMFORTABLE USING COMMANDLINE/TERMINAL DO NOT MESS WITH THE EXT3|EXT4 MENU. MESSING WITH THE PARTITION FORMATS CAN LEAVE YOUR ICONIA IN A STATE THAT IS UNABLE TO BOOT NORMALLY AND REQUIRES FIXING VIA COMMANDLINE. Fix for ignoring this warning is done by running "iconia_repair.sh help" from command line in recovery.

Full source for both Apache licensed recovery and GPL licensed kernel & busybox are here

Recovery Features:

Special features for acer iconia :
    Touch enabled UI
    Can use usb flash drive or normal sdcard as sdcard to flash roms and to use in nandroid backup/restore.
    Automatically runs itsmagic on boot
    External sdcard mass storage works on iconia
    Automatically backs up usb serial (uuid) and the start of mmcblk0 in nandroid backup.
    Will not remove /data/media unless full ext wipe option is selected (off by default)

ADB as root user

USB-MS Toggle :mounts sdcard as mass storage

Backup/Restore:
    Nand Backup : Select Items to backup with the [X]
    Nand Restore : browse to and select nandroid backup items with [X] to restore
    Nand Restore Clockwork : browse to and restore cwm backup

Flash Zip From Sdcard: Update.zip must be in root of sdcard or you can directory browse.
    Toggle Signature Verify : Toggle on/off signature checking on flashing zips

Wipe Menu:
    Wipe data/factory reset: wipes all (data, cache, android_secure & dalvik if outside of /data)
    Wipe cache
    Wipe Dalvik cache : Wipes Dalvik cache in all possible locations if moved by apps2sd
    Wipe SD:ext : Wipes Apps2sd ext partition
    Wipe Battery Stats
    Wipe rotate settings
    Wipe data only
    Wipe system
    Wipe sdcard
    Wipe .android secure : Wipes froyo+ native .android_secure on sdcard
    Toggle full ext wipe: Toggles full or quick wipe of ext partitions

Partition Sdcard:
    Partition SD: Partition's sdcard for apps2sd (this formats card so all non backed-up data is lost)
    Repair Sd:ext
    SD:ext2 to ext3 : coverts apps2sd ext2 partition to ext3
    SD:ext3 to ext4 : same as above but ext3 to ext4 (

Mounts:
    Gui mounts to avoid typing in terminal to mount system, data, cache, sd-ext (if exists), sdcard

Other:
    Fix Permissions
    Move recovery log to SD
    Key Test : Output keycodes for debugging recovery
    Check Battery Lvl

Ext3|4 menu: Formatting and re-formatting of partitions

Developer menu:
    Make and flash boot from zImage : This makes a mkboot folder on sdcard and mounts sdcard as mass storage then you copy a zImage and kernel modules into this folder and it will create a new boot like anykernel and flash it.
    Install su & superuser: Installs or fixes su & superuser install (removes old if exists)
    Install eng (unguarded) su: Installs engineering su that doesn't use superuser (removes old su & superuser if exists)
    Reboot to bootloader: reboots to bootloader/hboot
    Reboot recovery : reboots phone back into recovery

Trouble Shooting:
    Use option under Other menu to move recovery log to sd. Mount your sdcard to pc and read that file called recovery.log which will be on your external sdcard. It should have detailed cause of error if its not self-explainatory upload it here as an attachment and then post details about the error. Posts without the log are a complete waste of my time and will be ignored as there is no usable info to assist me in troubleshooting it. You will also be told to go visit /dev/null.

Special Thanks:
    Thanks to :
    Amon Ra
    Koush
    Sc2k for itsmagic and getuid.ko
    Gweedo767 & CEnnis91 for the touch ui
    Skrilax_CZ for patched ICS bootloader & setbootmode
    Download Section:

To flash on HC bootloader(requires root):

run itsmagic then

Code:
    adb push recovery-ra-iconia-3.13-gnm.img /sdcard
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery-ra-iconia-3.13-gnm.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
    sync
    reboot recovery

To flash on ICS Patched Bootloader:
    fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img

V3.17 Recovery flashable zip : recovery-ra-iconia-3.17-gnm.zip

ICS recovery-ra-iconia-3.17-gnm.img
    md5sum e74dd63395baed6d00c724024ab2d5cc recovery-ra-iconia-3.17-gnm.img

recovery-ra-iconia-3.16-gnm.img
    md5sum 357a7033171585005db89d505b6b7c65 recovery-ra-iconia-3.16-gnm.img

recovery-ra-iconia-3.15-gnm.img
    md5sum f40fc8fe8708df75583338d09be33ea0 recovery-ra-iconia-3.15-gnm.img

recovery-ra-iconia-3.14-gnm.img
    md5sum d69390b62dd914a440ca2ae90ff95a0a recovery-ra-iconia-3.14-gnm.img

recovery-ra-iconia-3.13-gnm.img
    md5sum 292d0a37cc7971baab2b32d6dae0d74c recovery-ra-iconia-3.13-gnm.img

Flashable zip for 3.13 is here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21727826&postcount=13

Changelog 3.14 :
    Added menu option to wipe flexrom and also included it in the default wipe all
    Added option to flash a zip from internal storage
    Added warnings on using the ext3|4 menu
    Added recovery shell script called iconia_repair.sh for users that ignore the above warning and have corrupted their partitions. To use call "iconia_repair.sh help" from adb shell in recovery.

Changelog 3.15
    Fixed wipe boot option on emmc devices
    Fixed ext3|ext4 format menu for iconia & updated the iconia_repair.sh script to match (still may error 1st time if users used this option on 3.13 or 3.14 to format use script to repair and it will work properly from there out)
    Itsmagic is now built into recovery binary
    Sdcard is now unmounted after flashing a zip from it.

Changelog 3.16
    Fixed nandroid restore from usb stick
    Added ability to nandroid restore a cwm backup from usb stick

Changelog 3.17
    Updated for ICS patched bootloader
    Removed auto run of itsmagic (still there from cmd line)
    Updated Mass storage in recovery to 2.6.39 kernel
    Compiled setbootmode into recovery -- call setbootmode from cmd line to use
    Default quick wipe and nandroid backup skips /data/linux directory if present -- toggling full ext wipe will still remove and reformat 100% of /data
    Note: nandroid backup folder is changed from nvmem=* to your devices serial # so you may need to manually move old RA backups into new folder.
    Updated su & superuser.apk to current
    When you push ideas like this you give more ammunition to the likes of Apple who say we are simply not capable of maintaining our computers and should not be allowed to run unsigned code. Running single commands in the terminal is not difficult compared to the other *real* hacking that goes on here. So more fastboot, not less, please.

p.s you can use dd or maybe flash_image, which is here if you don't have it.

FYI flash_image won't work for Iconia but dd works well. My thoughts exactly : If you are going to be hacking your devices - shouldn't you have just minimal experience with the tools to save your butt (and have them already installed and working) when you mess things up? Its enevitable that you will mess up at some point as we all do. It is this reason alone I typically do not release a non-cmd line version of stuff. It doesn't take rocket science to use just a little reading and setup to use these great android tools. Anyways lets leave this thread on point with recovery not on easy/intermediate lvl ways to flash it.

Below attached is a flashable zip of v3.17 for ICS patched bootloader
    thanks for the update man. Since I had a little time while getting loaded I put it in a flashable .zip for those like me that are having adb issues with our tablets.
    Any possibility of updating the flashable zip to the latest version?
    Here it is. I have just replaced an .img in the old zip and re-signed the package.