Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

freeza

Recognized Developer
May 28, 2006
Pasadena, CA
www.freeza-inc.com
OnePlus 10 Pro
May be a little harder to time correctly, but it's just as effective as pulling the power cable. :)

~co~

Yeah, kinda. But I got it eventually lol.

What battery way? Link

Sent from my ice cream powered Evo 3D!

Same as AC, you just use the battery and never connect to AC. The whole point is to cut power to the phone, which can be done either way :p

No matter what I used, AC, different sdcards, different outlets, different plugs, it would not stay on once the battery was out, so I improvised. :)

mrlakadaddy

Mar 23, 2008
brooklyn
The battery method works, just time it, I counted 5 seconds, pulled the battery, then put it back in, got it on the first try...and this was after trying the ac method for hours.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Cuppeerr

Mar 15, 2010
Grapevine, Texas
by the time i've counted to 5 or even 4 it's moved on to the next step....
wtffffffffff I just did it. counted to 4 pulled the ac cord it shut off, plugged the ac cord back in and I get the flashing dim light. not solid, flashing.

Last edited:

closeone

Jan 11, 2012
by the time i've counted to 5 or even 4 it's moved on to the next step....
wtffffffffff I just did it. counted to 4 pulled the ac cord it shut off, plugged the ac cord back in and I get the flashing dim light. not solid, flashing.

If it's flashing, it's not bricked. :(

Should be solid. Pop the battery back in and attempt to power it on.

~co~

Reactions: vido4eva

Cuppeerr

Mar 15, 2010
Grapevine, Texas
If it's flashing, it's not bricked. :(

Should be solid. Pop the battery back in and attempt to power it on.

~co~

Thats what I meant to say:( I did everything counted to 4 pulled the ac, put the ac back in and it would just flash. Then it booted to bootloader just fine:(

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Thats what I meant to say:( I did everything counted to 4 pulled the ac, put the ac back in and it would just flash. Then it booted to bootloader just fine:(

It's fine I only have this phone for a could more days then I get the lte:) Plus my mom couldn't care less about root as she's the next one in line for my phone

ldostang

Apr 2, 2008
Laredo, TX
ahhhh i cant brick the stupid phone... ive been trying for over two hours.

How do we do it with the battery method. DO we remove and reinsert quickly or wait a few seconds?

vido4eva

Oct 26, 2008
El Paso, TX
thanks

thank you unknown and closeone i finally balls up and did it and and it was pretty easy. the process look daunting but the live cd toolkit made it easy jus plug the phone on and its like ABC.

the only problem i had was timing the update to brick it lol took me 15 attempts.

do it ppl its real easy

closeone

Jan 11, 2012
ahhhh i cant brick the stupid phone... ive been trying for over two hours.

How do we do it with the battery method. DO we remove and reinsert quickly or wait a few seconds?

Keep trying! It's rewarding when it's done.

If you want to do it by pulling the battery, simply don't use the charger, and pull the battery at the right time. (It's apparently easier said than done).

been trying for 2 days now lol. my wifes 3d is unbrickable. wtf lmao ill keep trying pissing me right off.

Again, just keep on trying with it! Try varying your timing a bit and letting it sit at the "Press Vol + to update" screen before starting the update. Also, you might also try pulling the battery instead.

(Note: There isn't (shouldn't be) any functional difference between pulling the battery or pulling the cable. You're just trying to cut power to the phone at the appropriate time to brick it, but there have been a few reported successes by users who have done a battery pull.)

~co~

NeoGauge

Oct 2, 2010
Southeast Texas
Free At Last!

Took me a couple hours of playing but it was really easy. Thanks to all that put in on this masterful piece of brilliance. :D

2012-05-16%2B21.26.18.jpg

Reactions: lowetax

kaos420

Account currently disabled
Dec 21, 2007
Usa
meettomy.site
lol i tried cable way the other day. now ive been trying the battery way. is it really important to let it sit a few minutes? ive been trying as soon as i can press volume + only because im getting pissed at it lol

stephangardner

Feb 21, 2012
Allen, TX
Dallas Texas

anyone in the dallas area on this thread wanna make a few bucks? I will pay someone to do this for me. im not all that tech savy and reading the how to and watching the vids make me say wtf. I will pay someone to do the hboot downgrade for me. please help. i live in Allen and work in west Plano

NeoGauge

Oct 2, 2010
Southeast Texas
anyone in the dallas area on this thread wanna make a few bucks? I will pay someone to do this for me. im not all that tech savy and reading the how to and watching the vids make me say wtf. I will pay someone to do the hboot downgrade for me. please help. i live in Allen and work in west Plano

I was scared to do it a little bit to. But after multiple attempts, and the thought of hard brick or worse. That's not the case here. Like me, read over the thread time after time and you can do it. You will be proud of yourself after it's all said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Firstly, I want to thank the guys that made it all possible...
    MOVZX
    RussianBear
    Fuses
    Dexter93
    TrevE
    Crackanug
    closeone
    USSENTERNCC1701E
    jcase
    The entire Revolutionary team

Now on to the goodies...

UPDATE 3/21/12

DO NOT BRICK YOUR DEVICE IF YOU ARE S-OFF, THE DEVICE WILL NOT GO INTO EMMC MODE AS EXPECTED, AND YOU WILL HAVE A TRUE BRICK IN YOUR HANDS!!!

If you're already S-OFF, but on 1.50, you can do one of two things... I have attached the PG86IMG.zip with the 1.40 bootloader on it, download it copy to sd card and flash via bootloader.

The other option is to simply re-run 1.13 RUU, this will downgrade it as well, but this will also erase all data in the process.

For S-ON... Things you'll need...

• A linux PC and some very basic linux knowledge...
    • The 2.17 RUU ZIP image
    • You'll also need the 1.13 RUU EXE (All the RUU's can be found here -> http://www.filefactory.com/f/4ef0ef536face67a/)
    • Download the downgrade.zip in the attachment (includes downgrade tool, hboot 1.40.0000(hboot.img), and misc.img)
    • Backup your apps/data if you need to, this process will wipe EVERYTHING

(If you're already bricked, start from Step 2)

closeone has posted a "all in one" Tool to do much of the following. (No, it's not a one click, there likely won't be a one click using this method, don't ask about it)
    I have not personally tested it, but the idea is sound and if he's done it correctly it should work just fine, If you wish to try it, it is here (Yes, it still uses Linux, but on a bootable CD) -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1563342

First Step

VIDEO OF STEP 1 (video says Step 2, but just start here)

BRICK (Yes, I said brick) your device. BUT in a CERTAIN way.

You need to brick your device by corrupting the HBOOT during the HBOOT Update.

(MAKE SURE YOU ARE TRULY S-ON, IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE WHILE S-OFF, THIS IS PERMANENT and CANNOT BE RECOVERED FROM)
    (MAKE SURE YOU ARE TRULY S-ON, IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE WHILE S-OFF, THIS IS PERMANENT and CANNOT BE RECOVERED FROM)

(If you are HTC Unlocked, you MUST RELOCK BEFORE starting)

1.) Take your 2.17 ZIP image, put it on the root of your SDCard, call it PG86IMG.zip.

2.) With the phone on Battery power alone, Reboot to BootLoader, let it detect the zip and read and get to the point where it wants you to press Vol-Up to update.

3.) LET THE DEVICE SIT FOR AT LEAST a Minute or Two.

4.) Pull off the battery cover (careful not to let the battery fall out) and plug the device into AC power. (HTC Power charger, other chargers have been known not to work for this, the reason for this is that the HTC's power adapters output more power than the standard ones.)

5.) Pull the battery out. (The device should stay on, if it doesn't, start over and try again) Also, leave the battery out through the REST OF THIS GUIDE until told to put it back in.

6.) Here's the tricky part, Read this a couple times, be ready to pull the ac cable out at the right time... press the vol up key in, Give it approximately 5 seconds from the START of it saying the word "Updating" next to Bootloader (The very first one it flashes) Then Pull the charger cord promptly, and plug it right back in, if this worked right, you'll see the red charge light be VERY(VERY VERY) DIM, and it should stay solid for the most part. (See the FAQ in post 2 for more info on this step, if you're having issues.)

The device is now bricked and ready for the next part.

Second Step

VIDEO OF STEP 2 (Removed for now, it's outdated)

The next step is the linux part. Do not plug your phone in to the linux box until you are told to do so. Very important.

1.) Boot up to Linux (I used Ubuntu, but I am guessing that any Linux OS will work)

2.) Extract your downgrade.zip file to the linux PC, Home folder is the best spot and is the easiest to work with.

3.) Open up Terminal, gain root, (su, or sudo -s)(give it your password)

4.) Run the command chmod 755 downgrade (if it's not in your home folder, add the full path to it)

5.) Type ./downgrade and press Enter.

You will see the below output:

Code:
    ==== Original emmc_recover tool written by Fuses ==== 
    ==== Downgrade v 1.0, written by Unknownforce ==== 

Ready to Downgrade?
    Press ENTER for yes, or Press Ctrl+C for no.

Press Enter here, then you'll get the following:

Code:
    Step 1... Plug in Device while holding down Volume Down key... 

Waiting for device...

Now... Hold down the Volume Down key, (and keep holding it down) and plug the phone in, you should see something similar to the below:

Code:
    Found the Correct Device!
    Writing image file!
    511+1 records in
    511+1 records out
    1047808 bytes (1.0 MB) copied, 0.36689 s, 2.9 MB/s
    SUCCESS!
    Step 2... Unplug the device now.
    AFTER device is removed, press Enter to proceed to next step.

Unplug the device, and press Enter again, you will see the following:

Code:
    Step 3... Plug the device back in
    while holding the Volume Down key again.

Waiting for device...

Plug the device in again holding down the Volume Down key the entire time again, you should see the following:

Code:
    Writing image file!
    511+1 records in
    511+1 records out
    1047808 bytes (1.0 MB) copied, 0.36689 s, 2.9 MB/s
    SUCCESS!

From there, pull your SD Card out (so it doesn't try to update from the PG86IMG.zip...) throw your battery back in, boot up to bootloader. 1.40.0000 :)

(Some people have said that they needed to "let the device sit" for a few minutes here, mine works immediately every time, YMMV)

To get back to a bootable rom and revolutionary, select FASTBOOT, connect it to the PC and run the 1.13 RUU EXE all the way through, (NOT the zip) then just revolutionary (a few times) and have a beer. :)

A few side notes:
    When you run Revolutionary, you might have to do it a few times... I also didn't get to the point where it asked to flash a recovery... so I did this via fastboot, and simply used TWRP 2.0 .img file.

Use fastboot flash recovery blahblahblah.img -- this did NOT work when it was just regular 1.40.0000 S-OFF, only when it was revolutionary 1.40.1100 S-OFF

DISCLAIMER This is NOT a guarantee... because I'm sure it could come back... But in basic terms... I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE, I have given you a method that worked for me, and SHOULD work for you, but if your house burns down, your car gets a flat tire, or your phone stops working... You are responsible for any and all of those things.
    FAQ's

Can I do this on Windows?

Currently there is no way to do this on Windows. It's unlikely that there will be a way to do it on windows, Windows USB is too slow and doesn't detect the device the same as Linux does.

Can I do this in (Insert virtual PC software)?

The only one I've heard that works is VMWare, however You're again relying on Windows to pass the device to a virtual machine, which isn't ideal. I know for a fact that VirtualBox does not work, and Cygwin also does not work.

Common Errors

I can't get my phone to brick, I've tried a million times!

Patience is a virtue. This step is the hardest part of all, HTC Designed their phone to be brick proof for a reason. I believe the trick here is to let the device sit on the update screen for a minute or two, then do the update and count out 5 seconds. Also there's the update bar that appears in the upper right hand corner, much like the bar that is there when it's checking the zip file before the update prompt. The INSTANT you see that, pull the power. This is typically 5-6 seconds after it says updating, but only after it's been sitting for a bit... I believe the trick is to let it sit for a bit before pressing Volume up to update.

My PG86IMG.zip is not detected or the phone checks it and it doesn't prompt me to update it

There are several possibilities:

• The phone is HTC Unlocked - You must re-lock.
    • The phone is S-OFF - Don't even try to brick it because you'll permanently brick it.
    • The phone is Re-locked, but still has a custom rom/recovery on it. - This will show a security warning and not allow the PG86IMG.zip to be flashed. - You must put the phone in FASTBOOT USB and run the RUU exe that matches your software version.
    • The File is not named correctly, it's PG86IMG.zip (Make sure it's not PG86IMG.zip.zip)
    • The PG86IMG.zip is either corrupt, not signed properly, or modified in some way. - Download another one.

I press Volume up to Update, and my phone shuts off

• First make sure you're using a standard HTC A/C Adapter and cable. These are designed to charge at 1000 mA, other manufacturer's chargers typically only hit 900 mA. The phone needs it all to stay on and update properly without the battery in.
    • Second, make sure you're not using a higher end SD Card. This will draw too much power and not let the phone update when it comes to that time because the power drain to have the screen on, the sd card powered and the update running is more than what the A/C adapter can output. - My 16GB Class 10, shuts the phone off, my Class 4, 2 GB, does not. YMMV.
    • Third, if you're stuck with the high end SD card, or think it could be the cause, simply pull it after you pull the battery and BEFORE you press volume Up to update. The phone will still update. However, I don't know if this affects the speed of the update at all... so just watch it the first time and time it, then time your pull accordingly.

I'm getting Permission Denied when trying to run the linux commands

You don't have root, either type su or sudo -s, your prompt should have a # at the end and not a $.
    Or, you didn't set the chmod correctly on the downgrade file. This is again chmod 755 downgrade (or /path/to/downgrade)

I get Misc image is missing!!! or HBOOT image is missing!!!

The hboot.img and misc.img files must be in the same location as the downgrade file, they are hard coded into the downgrade tool to be in the same location, their names are also hard coded, so don't rename them.
    OK, so the whole "bounty" thing needs to be addressed, cause there's still some controversy here. (I will be posting this in both the downgrade thread and the bounty thread)

First thing... I started this whole shebang simply self motivated, I refused to use HTC Unlock and I wanted root... so I manned up, focused on the light at the end of the tunnel and we're here now.

With that said... I'm not going to "demand" a collection on this "bounty"... you guys chose to sign up for it of your own free will, you have the choice to do what you want whether you choose to honor that agreement or not, I don't really care as I have a far greater prize in my hands that says 1.40.1100 S-OFF.

Secondly, there have been comments made that it should go to other individuals as well, I have spoke with these people directly, via PM's. And they have all came back with the same thing, in basic terms... it was I that found the method for OUR device. They are not looking to collect on this, but obviously if you feel like donating to them anyways, more power to you. I PERSONALLY will be sending THEM donations for giving me the tools that I needed to accomplish this task.

So I say again, I am NOT going to hound people for this bounty that was created, nor am I going to list out those that have and haven't donated, I feel that's tasteless, and accomplishes nothing.

I will, though, take this time to thank each and every person who HAS donated and/or will be donating, as this was a painfully long process to get accomplished, and these beers are gonna be great :)
    Well done everyone :)

I'll see about making something a little bit more automated this weekend if nobody beats me to it.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium
    Well, I'm back on 1.50.0000 and S-ON. Ready for when I get home... Hopefully all goes well tonight... should have an update in like two-three hours.