wont turn on, vibrating when screen is off, am i bricked?

Search This thread

jessask214

Dec 2, 2012
hey im having the same problem

so... just got a email from mobile tech videos.... he was able to save my phone... was just the power button.... =) we r good.... thanks for allll your help again... i will have a very happy fiance and might have it back intime to flash some cm10

This is exactly whats going on with my s2.
Im in Dallas as well. Is there anywhere u know
I can personally go to to fix it. Instead of sending it off?

machaira9

Dec 2, 2012
screwdriver solution worked for me

I had this problem and learned from reading all the posts in this thread that it is a power button issue. I fixed mine by taking a small screwdriver and worked it around the power button gently, and the vibration issue stopped.

that worked for me, too. took the smallest flat-head screwdriver i had (from one of those sets of tiny/thin screwdrivers) and gently worked it around the two longer edges of the power button. didn't really feel like i did anything (other than introduce a tiny, cosmetic notch in the edge of the power button slot), but when i tried to turn the phone back on, it worked!

it's been on for 20 mins or so. hopefully the issue won't come back, but at least i can send it in for a replacement button if absolutely needed. i'm most thankful that i have another chance to backup all my data (photos and what-not).

thanks, everyone! :victory:

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Out of curiosity, is anyone else who's having this issue using the D30 Impact Protection cover?

I noticed, with mine, that the power button (while using the cover) has always been difficult to press in (whereas the actual power button, without the cover on, is super easy to press). I wonder if there's a correlation between the stuck button issue and the cover. *shrug* Just curious. :)

Reactions: frankaloni

Quadratomic

Apr 2, 2011
that worked for me, too. took the smallest flat-head screwdriver i had (from one of those sets of tiny/thin screwdrivers) and gently worked it around the two longer edges of the power button. didn't really feel like i did anything (other than introduce a tiny, cosmetic notch in the edge of the power button slot), but when i tried to turn the phone back on, it worked!

it's been on for 20 mins or so. hopefully the issue won't come back, but at least i can send it in for a replacement button if absolutely needed. i'm most thankful that i have another chance to backup all my data (photos and what-not).

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Out of curiosity, is anyone else who's having this issue using the D30 Impact Protection cover?

I noticed, with mine, that the power button (while using the cover) has always been difficult to press in (whereas the actual power button, without the cover on, is super easy to press). I wonder if there's a correlation between the stuck button issue and the cover. *shrug* Just curious. :)

I'm using the D30 Impact Protection cover as well.

I had the same problem; for a week or two prior to the continuous vibrating/not booting, my flash would fire off in rapid succession, and finally today it ceased to boot at all. I took jioooz's suggestion (thanks!) and tried it out and my phone is running just fine now.

EternalSoil

Feb 27, 2009

frankaloni

Dec 1, 2012
I also use this cover. Anyone having the power button issue and NOT use this cover?

Although, now I'm not so sure. I mean, I'm still not using that cover, but—any chance these same symptoms (rebooting/vibrating, plus the camera flash going off) could be caused by shorts on the motherboard?

(I took the phone into the shop to get the power button replaced; at first they said it looked more like a software issue that could be fixed by flashing it if they could get it to stop rebooting long enough to go into download mode, but then they called me up and talked about shorts on the motherboard instead. The thing is, following some of the power-button-related advice given above, such as tapping the phone against a semi-hard surface in a way that would loosen the button up a little bit, seems to have actually helped, because doing that lengthened the rebooting cycle a little bit too—just not enough to let it get the whole way booted up.)

Last edited:

drLouie

Jun 25, 2012
[/COLOR]Out of curiosity, is anyone else who's having this issue using the D30 Impact Protection cover?

Mine just started today and yes I've been using the D30 cover since day 1. Wonder if the case hastens the problem occuring.

db4d1988

Nov 21, 2012
Same here. Had to get a replacement through warranty. Sad day.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

drLouie

Jun 25, 2012
Anyone know where I can purchase a new power button? Based on what I have looked at, I think I could replace it with the part.

Snooplongylong

Oct 26, 2012
Had to fix my sister's phone. Power button was broken and she was using the D30 impact case as well. Common issue with this phone and I guess this case hastens it. I used the MobileTechVideos site recommended earlier in the thread to fix the issue.

They fixed it for $35. Altogether, it took about a week to fix. Great service. And thanks for everyone on XDA for diagnosing the problem!

Kidovzky

Dec 20, 2011
Have this issue...
Tell me guys, is this button is compatible with i9100 ?
i'm from another country and I don't have the opportunity to buy original power button.

railmeat

Aug 8, 2012

Thanks for this.

Found one on ebay that was having this issue. Got it very cheap :)
The screwdriver trick fixed the issue instantly, both power off/vibrate issue, and call sound.

railmeat

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks for this.

Found one on ebay that was having this issue. Got it very cheap :)
The screwdriver trick fixed the issue instantly, both power off/vibrate issue, and call sound.

So, the screwdriver thing was only a temporary fix (if at all). I gave up and sent it to MobileTechVideos via ebay. $35 plus shipping one way. Problem Solved.

paypalbid

Jun 30, 2006
So Cal
Problem solved. I wrapped the phone in a towel and hit it on the granite counter where the top corner of the phone near the power button. Phone works like a champ again. Thanks for the tip guys.

PS: Some phone refurbished guy told me the phone was done because he believes the mother board is damage. I'm glad i did the research and turned out to be a sticky power button.

Reactions: nelsonmunoz

awoolf

Aug 21, 2008
Anyone know where I can purchase a new power button? Based on what I have looked at, I think I could replace it with the part.

This is a old thread, but lots of people are being linked to it. So, here's some good, up-to-date info on this problem:

This is almost certainly caused by a bad/stuck power (on/off) switch. It's a very common problem on all the US-carrier Galaxy SII phones. (I think the international "i9100" model uses a different type of switch.) You can simulate the issue on a good T989 by holding down the power button when you turn it on - it will reboot and then vibrate every few seconds with a blank screen, until you release the power button.

Some people have had success poking/pulling/cleaning/washing the switch, but replacing it is the only long-term reliable fix.

If you don't have insurance coverage and are out of warranty, you can replace the switch yourself. Several eBay sellers offer replacement power switches for the SGH-T989 Galaxy S2. (about ten bucks)

Or, if you don't have mad soldering skills, a few companies offer mail-in repair service:
- $39: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Switch-REPAIR-SERVICE-T-Mobile-Galaxy-S2-SGH-T989-Samsung-Fix-Bad-Button-/161028469601
- $45: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Button-Repair-Samsung-Galaxy-S-Galaxy-S-II-Galaxy-NOTE-MORE-/320910836052

Last edited:

drLouie

Jun 25, 2012
This is a old thread, but lots of people are being linked to it. So, here's some good, up-to-date info on this problem:

This is almost certainly caused by a bad/stuck power (on/off) switch. It's a very common problem on all the US-carrier Galaxy SII phones. (I think the international "i9100" model uses a different type of switch.) You can simulate the issue on a good T989 by holding down the power button when you turn it on - it will reboot and then vibrate every few seconds with a blank screen, until you release the power button.

Some people have had success poking/pulling/cleaning/washing the switch, but replacing it is the only long-term reliable fix.

If you don't have insurance coverage and are out of warranty, you can replace the switch yourself. Several eBay sellers offer replacement power switches for the SGH-T989 Galaxy S2. (about ten bucks)

Or, if you don't have mad soldering skills, a few companies offer mail-in repair service:
- $39: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Switch-REPAIR-SERVICE-T-Mobile-Galaxy-S2-SGH-T989-Samsung-Fix-Bad-Button-/161028469601
- $45: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Button-Repair-Samsung-Galaxy-S-Galaxy-S-II-Galaxy-NOTE-MORE-/320910836052

Here is who I got to fix mine: http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-t-mobile-power-button-repair/ They did a great job and were fast.

Alcatraz_

Sep 22, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S2 cannot use while charging

Hi everyone,I buy my phone from ebay, when i used it the battery drained so fast.:eek: I try to charge the phone but it just show loop circle sign and i cannot use while charging. It`s gonna be shutdown and display charging indicator again (loop circle sign)..how to fix it? :eek::rolleyes:
Thx for solving my problem? :good::victory:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try this

my phone will not turn on or go into recovery or download mode, every time i put the battery in, the phone turns on for a second, then the screen fades off and the phone will constantly just vibrate every 2 seconds... with the screen off... i dont know wut to do... has anyone else had this issue?, id really appreciate the help. thanks.... honestly ive never seen anything i couldnt recover my phone from.

I had this problem and learned from reading all the posts in this thread that it is a power button issue. I fixed mine by taking a small screwdriver and worked it around the power button gently, and the vibration issue stopped.
    I have this same problem that is apparently related to the power button (the sudden turning off, the vibrating at 1–2 second intervals, the dark screen), but on my phone the camera flash is also going off. Does that mean anything extra special to anyone?

As it happens, it flashes at the same interval as the vibration. Except sometimes it doesn't seem to feel like flashing; the vibration is consistent, but occasionally the flashing won't start at the same time as the vibration, though eventually it will start flashing too. A few weeks before the power-button / vibration issue appeared, on one occasion the phone turned off suddenly at the same moment the flash went off when I was taking a picture.

At this point I can't even get it to reboot by fiddling with the power button and I have the battery out, getting ready presumably to send it off for repairs.

Everything's stock on the phone.

This may sound silly, but try hitting the corner of the phone (where the button is) against a semi hard surface. Make sure to turn it off, keep the case on or wrap it in a towel or something similar. The main problem seems to be the inner part of the button is getting stuck so smacking it around actually frees it up. Happened to me a few times now. Just be careful not to damage your phone.
    Thanks for the referrals guys. Remember we repair over 4,000 devices and counting annually so we have almost "seen it all". I'll be making a YouTube promotional for my Samsung power button services soon to help raise awareness on this subject. To my knowledge no other shop offers the button repair service on this unit. This is also most likely because they aren't aware of how to diagnose the issue as many wouldn't believe it would be power button related. I verified this when I first found a T989 with a bad power button by monitoring the current draw on a digital power supply. It would pull current with zero button presses. After a new button, it was good to go and the T989 power button service from MobileTechVideos was born... ;)

-Josh
    And the same result with recovery mode?

I realize you probably tried this but I'm just trying to cover all the bases with this :cool:

I like my Roms the way I like my women..... Clean and smooth

yeah i know, no worries, im pretty good with my phones, its just whenever women have tech, they mess it up... lol and she keeps telling me she wants to buy a new phone n all...
    Hi, I have the same problem with a HUAWEI G610, is it possible that it is the same fixing method??.

Replace the power Button!