Full review from laptop magazine

Search This thread
H

hot_spare

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/tablets/google-nexus-10.aspx

Some of my concerns seem to be true, the enormous resolution zaps a lot of the Mali 604s GPU power in games and graphics benchmarks making it at or below 3d performance of the older tf700. I just ask myself is such a high resolution so necessary? 1080p could've done it IMO, and it would have increased performance a lot in games. What's the point of a crystal clear resolution if the games are choppy?
The Exynos CPU score is great though and it'll be a good tablet for people wanting just a nice internet experience and viewing movies I'm sure will be great. Just disappointed about the 3D performance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Drivers will have a huge part to play in the benchmark results. I have mentioned this in one of previous posts, the case of SGS2 is a prime example how driver optimization can make a significant difference in the benchmarks.

When it was launched in MWC2011, it's numbers were really pathetic. It was even worse than Tegra2.

Anand ran benchmark on the pre-release version of SGS2 on MWC2011, check this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4177/samsungs-galaxy-s-ii-preliminary-performance-mali400-benchmarked

It was showing less than Tegra2 numbers! It was that bad initially.

Then look when Anand finally reviewed the device after few months:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/samsung-galaxy-s-2-international-review-the-best-redefined/17

Egypt (native resolution) numbers went up by 3.6x and Pro also got 20% higher. Now they could have been higher if not limited by vsync. GLbenchmark moved from 2.0 to 2.1 during that phase, but I am sure this would not make such a big difference in numbers.

If you again check the numbers now for SGS2, it's again another 50% improvement in performance from the time Anand did his review.

Check this SGS2 numbers now:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5811/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-preview
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6022/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review-att-and-tmobile-usa-variants/4

This is just to show that how driver optimization can have a big affect on the performance.

Wait for sometime, things will improve definitely.

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
Excellent point with the SGS2, it took some time for Sammy to unleash the A9 beast and to this day it performs excellently. But this also shows that Apple does a better job optimizing the SW for HW bumps, the new new iPad is amazing in performance. Time for Sammy and Google to go extra hours if they want to push the iPads, the new Chromebooks already showed A15's potential.

Toyeboy

Oct 3, 2012
Excellent point with the SGS2, it took some time for Sammy to unleash the A9 beast and to this day it performs excellently. But this also shows that Apple does a better job optimizing the SW for HW bumps, the new new iPad is amazing in performance. Time for Sammy and Google to go extra hours if they want to push the iPads, the new Chromebooks already showed A15's potential.

Yeah iPad 4 benchmarks are quite impressive, especially the gpu.

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

the0bserver

Sep 5, 2012
Köln
IMO, nearly every single person here has a valid point. I, too, believe that a 1900x1200 panel would have been sufficient; but then again, I do not work for Google, I do not have inside knowledge on their specification selection methodology, and additionally I can understand that from the perspective of the uneducated, a massive resolution (aka 'better than an iPad') would be appealing. This should help to boost interest in the device upon launch, help subsequent sales, and hopefully lure some of the iSheep to buy a Nexus 10 instead of an iPad.

Having said that, I shall stick to the facts; we won't know how fast/slow good/bad a production Nexus 10 is, until the first reviews of production devices start to hit.

Just my 2c ;)

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
Personally, I've been holding out for something with a resolution worth a damn. This thing does that. From the hands on stuff I've seen, it's fluid, the browser scrolls and zooms excellently, better than I've seen on any other Android device I've used (which are many).

Games, I'm not so worried about, I'm not much of a casual gamer, and I have consoles and a high end PC for that. That said, I'm sure it will be more than capable with most games.

I had the XOOM before, and all it has to do in my eyes is a better job than that thing, which was junk.

The real bonus here is I can read some crystal clear stuff, and I can watch HD vids on that screen with my misus when we don't want to sit at the TV.

The other real bonus here is that I was unwilling to fork out the cash for the Infinity, and I don't want a lap dock. We're it not for the nexus 10, I'd have no tablet at all (Nexus 7 is too small for my needs).

Gaugerer

Sep 9, 2011
Personally, I've been holding out for something with a resolution worth a damn. This thing does that. From the hands on stuff I've seen, it's fluid, the browser scrolls and zooms excellently, better than I've seen on any other Android device I've used (which are many).

Games, I'm not so worried about, I'm not much of a casual gamer, and I have consoles and a high end PC for that. That said, I'm sure it will be more than capable with most games.

I had the XOOM before, and all it has to do in my eyes is a better job than that thing, which was junk.

The real bonus here is I can read some crystal clear stuff, and I can watch HD vids on that screen with my misus when we don't want to sit at the TV.

The other real bonus here is that I was unwilling to fork out the cash for the Infinity, and I don't want a lap dock. We're it not for the nexus 10, I'd have no tablet at all (Nexus 7 is too small for my needs).

I totally agree with you and I've also been waiting for a full HD tablet that can view Internet Flash Player content as well as my laptop which was one of the reasons I have not bought the iPhone or the iPad..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't buy that. Why would pre-release software be slower or return poorer benchmark results when there are only 10 days to go before launch?

Firstly, I do computer science at uni and depending what software design methodology Google uses, software optimization/debugging is generally the last step, getting everything working is a lot more important. Also, for a company like google, 10 days can make a huge difference, but we don't know how old that prerelease software and hardware is. For example andy rubin was using a prerelease nexus 4 which had lock screen widgets and he stressed that it wasn't the final product. Yet these reviews devices don't have lock screen widgets among other features which says these review units are older than the one andy rubin was using last week. Therefore using deduction, we could guess that these devices that the reviews are using could be running software from a week or two ago at a min, and add 10 days from now till the 13th. Lets just say 20 days is a hell of a long time in software development terms, especially for a company with the resources of google. Hope that helps :)
    Could we hope for a more optimised Android code increasing performance?

Yes. Often this is the case, particularly with a device that is changing the paradigm as much as the Nexus 10 is.

My attitude toward these pre-release benchmarks is this. Take a casual look at them and note what they say, but don't read too much into them. Wait for the full release version and see how it actually performs. If there are a lot of people *****ing about something after it is released, assess how easy that would be to be fixed and the likelihood that it will be. If it is something that will likely be addressed in the near future, great. If not, then take a closer look before purchasing.

While I would love to have a Nexus 10 yesterday, I'm willing to wait and let the early adopters take a few arrows to see how this device actually performs before deciding if I will spend some of my hard earned money on it. :victory:
    http://www.laptopmag.com/review/tablets/google-nexus-10.aspx

Some of my concerns seem to be true, the enormous resolution zaps a lot of the Mali 604s GPU power in games and graphics benchmarks making it at or below 3d performance of the older tf700. I just ask myself is such a high resolution so necessary? 1080p could've done it IMO, and it would have increased performance a lot in games. What's the point of a crystal clear resolution if the games are choppy?
    The Exynos CPU score is great though and it'll be a good tablet for people wanting just a nice internet experience and viewing movies I'm sure will be great. Just disappointed about the 3D performance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Just curious, but why does benchmarks show lower score for this SoC on tne N10 than eg. the Chromebook with the same SoC?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Difference in chrome os and android os & power constraints on a tablet vs a notebook.