[Q] Can I encrypt my phone and still enjoy the benefits of root, etc?

Search This thread

Tersnaus

Jan 3, 2014
My Nexus 5 arrives in a few days so instead of spending days figuring out encryption compatibility (like I did with my Nexus 4), I'm asking a few questions in advance.

I would like to encrypt my Nexus 5. If I do this,

1. Can I root?
2. What custom recovery can/should I use?
3. Can I still use the xposed framework with the stock ROM?
4. Can I use a custom kernel such as Franco?

Also, is there some certain order I should do these steps in?

Thanks in advance!

.jond

Aug 24, 2010
I used to encrypt my android.
From what I remember, you need install your ROM, Radios, updates, etc before encrypting it.
The main problem I ran into is at least a year or two ago, the recoveries couldn't see or unencrypt your device to update it.
So if a new version of your ROM comes out, you have to wipe your phone and start from scratch!

Maybe things have changed since when I did it?

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I actually already saw your post, but I'm not concerned about hits to performance or battery life. In some cases a business requires you to have an encrypted phone, or the user wants it for peace of mind in case of theft...

If a business wants you to encrypt your phone, they should be against you rooting it too.

My point also covered being able to make modifications to your phone once encrypted. If your phone won't boot for some reason, you can't simply reflash your rom because recovery can't see anything on your sd.

I would say, choose which is more important to you

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

Tersnaus

Jan 3, 2014
Well, my phone arrives after the weekend. I'll give it a try, and report back what steps I had to take, and in what order! :fingers-crossed:

Reactions: danarama

Tersnaus

Jan 3, 2014
up mappols

Reporting back on how it went. The first step I did was to unlock the bootloader, replace the stock bootloader with TWRP, then flash superSU for root access. Then I encrypted my phone, and then I installed xposed framework. So far, I haven't noticed any noticeable slow-downs or problems. TWRP is able to handle the encrypted partition perfectly and I am asked for my encryption password when I enter custom recovery.

I haven't tried with France kernel though - perhaps that is for a little bit later on.

Tersnaus

Jan 3, 2014
gtherru contained

Thanks! But, is your phone encrypted, too?

Hey. I am using Franco Kernel, stock ROM and Xposed Gravitybox. It did not slow down (I used my first two months the Nexus 5 unrooted and completely stock) Don't worry.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Oh and I forgot to mention that the battery life (especially standby time) has improved massively!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

thionylx

Dec 27, 2013
My galaxy nexus was always encrypted and rooted. Couple workarounds were necessary. When i made a nandroid, needed to copy it to my pc asap. When i needed to restore a backup, had to use this file. Tibu took care of when i switched roms but again, store unencrypted on pc. Cant adb pull anything useable. Would usually use es file explorer and move them to a shared folder that way. Overall wasnt the end of the world. It meant running AOKP which rocked.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, my phone arrives after the weekend. I'll give it a try, and report back what steps I had to take, and in what order! :fingers-crossed: