[TESTING] Rootfs for Blackstone - new keymap (11.4.2011)

Search This thread
They changed the rootfs.img so we have to make changes to the new one. My old rootfs.img for CWM worked but after installing with CWM wifi didn't start.

This is a result of changing the wireless name in FRX07 and so it is called wlan0 now in rootfs. And so I cannot use my old CWM-rootfs for installation.

Same here with keyboard changes. I want to try in evening changing both...

nikitto

Dec 29, 2007
Cambrils
All credit goes to g3rm0 and xUmaRix.

Let's go ... first of all, in Windows, you can use Gizmo Drive software.

After install the software, reboot your system, for everything to take effect.

You also need this file: blac_navi_pad.kl , I got it from g3rm0's rootfs.img. Thanks again.

Ok, run Gizmo Drive software and mount your rootfs.img as a virtual hard drive. Enter to I:\init.etc\keymaps and paste black_navi_pad.kl (where I: is my virtual hard drive), after, open I:init (with notepad) and add these lines:

elif /bin/grep -c 'physkeyboard=blac' /proc/cmdline >/dev/null; then
echo "USING BLACKSTONE NAVI"
cp -f /init.etc/keymaps/blac_navi_pad.kl /etc/keymaps/raph_navi_pad.kl
cp -f /init.etc/keymaps/oldqwerty_microp-keypad.kcm.bin /etc/keymaps/microp-keypad.kcm.bin

before

else
echo "USING OLD KEYMAP"
cp -f /init.etc/keymaps/oldqwerty_microp-keypad.kcm.bin /etc/keymaps/microp-keypad.kcm.bin
cp -f /init.etc/keymaps/oldqwerty_microp-keypad.kl /etc/keymaps/microp-keypad.kl
cp -f /init.etc/keymaps/oldqwerty_raph_navi_pad.kl /etc/keymaps/raph_navi_pad.kl
fi

Thanks to xUmaRix for this.

Unmount rootfs.img and copy it in your sdcard.

Now, just add physkeyboard=blac in your startup.txt and enjoy it.

Last edited:

eusebe

Sep 3, 2009
Hi g3rm0,
ThaiDai had detected that wireless name had changed in FRX07.1 and as a result, WiFi doesn't work any longer when using your rootfs file.
Is there anything you can do about it ?
You know your version is very important since it enables to recover the keys on blackstone devices running FRX07.1
Thanks

Edit : I think you can forget my request, arrrghhh is going to take care of it in "FRX07.1".

Last edited:

Treasure

Jul 23, 2007
Hi g3rm0,

It seems that your mod is the only one I can find to fix the audio stuttering problem together with the key mapping of having the recent launched programs. It would be highly appreciated if you could re-apply these 2 changes with the latest release of "FRX07.1 rootfs" and "
kernel htc-msm-linux @ 20110819_183957".

Looking forward to your great work.

Thanks.

Last edited:

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
Hi g3rm0,

It seems that your mod is the only one I can find to fix the audio stuttering problem together with the key mapping of having the recent launched programs. It would be highly appreciated if you could re-apply these 2 changes with the latest release of "FRX07.1 rootfs" and "
kernel htc-msm-linux @ 20110819_183957".

Looking forward to your great work.

Thanks.

I took his keyboard layout file and already put it in the newest rootfs. I need to commit the patch so all new rootfs' will include it... But in the meantime see my post for the updated rootfs.

As for the kernel fix, it's not really a fix. Just kill the battery process, does the same thing. Midnight has built a kernel that uses this concept... It's not really a fix. I'd like to see a real fix instead of this workaround...

Treasure

Jul 23, 2007
I took his keyboard layout file and already put it in the newest rootfs. I need to commit the patch so all new rootfs' will include it... But in the meantime see my post for the updated rootfs.

As for the kernel fix, it's not really a fix. Just kill the battery process, does the same thing. Midnight has built a kernel that uses this concept... It's not really a fix. I'd like to see a real fix instead of this workaround...

Hi Arrrghhh.

I checked the kernel built by midnight. From the recent feedbacks, it seems to be far from useful when compared to your latest release. A battery problem will shut down the phone shortly!

I use my phone for listening to music with bluetooth headset more than making calls. I hope that you could find a way to resolve the audio stuttering issue. Changing the bluetooth bitpool to a higher value for more acceptable BT quality is also important to make the Android built useful.

Hi g3rm0,

If possible, please kindly compile us a kernel with the audio workaround on the latest kernel. I would really like to try it out before i give up Android and go back to winmo.

Looking forward to the good news from you great guys.

Thanks.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Hi Arrrghhh.

I checked the kernel built by midnight. From the recent feedbacks, it seems to be far from useful when compared to your latest release. A battery problem will shut down the phone shortly!

AFAIK that's just for X1 devices... Not positive tho.

I use my phone for listening to music with bluetooth headset more than making calls. I hope that you could find a way to resolve the audio stuttering issue. Changing the bluetooth bitpool to a higher value for more acceptable BT quality is also important to make the Android built useful.

What do you mean, "bluetooth bitpool" - can you expand on that...?

Hi g3rm0,

If possible, please kindly compile us a kernel with the audio workaround on the latest kernel. I would really like to try it out before i give up Android and go back to winmo.

Looking forward to the good news from you great guys.

Thanks.

I don't know if you missed my post or what, but I'll post it here again...

arrrghhh said:
As for the kernel fix, it's not really a fix. Just kill the battery process, does the same thing.

So you don't need any special kernels to do that for you. Just get to a terminal, su, kill -9 28 (PID for [battery] process) and the stutter will be gone.

When I see reactions to midnight's kernel in other forums I think it's more wishing than reality. I myself would like to have a better kernel with BT, Sound etc (or even a NAND kernel) and so I wake up on every thread with kernel changes.

But sadly (especially with NAND :D ) there isn't any real development going on. Reading midnight's changelog shows more problems with ubuntu and kernel compiling than real advances. I hope he will have some success but until now I see no "physical" reason to switch.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
When I see reactions to midnight's kernel in other forums I think it's more wishing than reality. I myself would like to have a better kernel with BT, Sound etc (or even a NAND kernel) and so I wake up on every thread with kernel changes.

But sadly (especially with NAND :D ) there isn't any real development going on. Reading midnight's changelog shows more problems with ubuntu and kernel compiling than real advances. I hope he will have some success but until now I see no "physical" reason to switch.

Yes, I wish there was some actual kernel development going on, instead of just incorporating hacks to workaround issues. That is not good practice...

Problem is, no Blackstone user seems to want to (or has the ability to) work on the kernel. That is what is needed - a Blackstone dev....

Yes, I wish there was some actual kernel development going on, instead of just incorporating hacks to workaround issues. That is not good practice...

Problem is, no Blackstone user seems to want to (or has the ability to) work on the kernel. That is what is needed - a Blackstone dev....

I think it's a dead end. The community for this device isn't big anymore and more important: the device isn't really capable for Android every day use. So why put energy into it?

For me it is now for about 3 month fun with Linux and Android. In june I had no experience with Android at all, just zero.

And now I really love it: just waiting for the next Tabs fullfilling my wishes and I will switch to app development for Android. Blackstone is a nice "Zeitvertreib" (pastime).

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
I think it's a dead end. The community for this device isn't big anymore and more important: the device isn't really capable for Android every day use. So why put energy into it?

For me it is now for about 3 month fun with Linux and Android. In june I had no experience with Android at all, just zero.

And now I really love it: just waiting for the next Tabs fullfilling my wishes and I will switch to app development for Android. Blackstone is a nice "Zeitvertreib" (pastime).

Assuming there were developers, I'm sure it could be capable for everyday use in Android.

But alas, you are correct. The community isn't big anymore, so no devs attracted to the project. Oh well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is dedicated to enhance/optimize Blackstone button layout.

I've started this thread because I would like to test rootfs image made especially for Blackstone. For now it's about the new key mapping. We (the Blackstone users) were missing the "Recent Apps" menu until recently when Stickman89 made some progress in this area but unfortunately he retired. Now his rootfs is outdated and this is where I took over. My rootfs is a modification to the latest official one and includes the new key mapping. The goal here is to have "Recent Apps" menu AND power button fully functional at the same time (and possibly merge upstream when the work is done here).

Native Android device is required to have at least 5 buttons. They are: Power/Sleep, Vol Up, Vol Down, Home, Menu, Back. Our device has 6: Power/Sleep, Vol Up, Vol Down, Call, Home, Back, End Call. This means we can have all the buttons like in Android device only if we sacrifice Call or End Call. Call is also used to do BT voice dialing and I don't want to break this option when BT will be fixed. End call on the other hand is only needed to end calls and there are other ways of doing this (map power button in Accessibility menu or use on-screen End call). I've decided to have Home button acting as a menu and End Call as a home key (because it really doesn't change much except End Call is the real HOME now).

Here's how the new button layout looks like:
    blac100keymapdone1.jpg

**UPDATE: 11.4.2011**

You can now have Home button working as HOME and End Call button being MENU. To try this simply add: physkeyboard=blac to your startup.txt cmdline. Without this parameter button will be mapped like in my previous rootfs (see picture above).
    As a bonus I've cooked a new zImage + modules. Nothing really dramatic - just bringing JB's audio shuttering patch to the latest official kernel.

/UPDATE

[LEGAL BS]
    THIS IS WORK IN PROGRESS. IT IS VERY UNLIKELY TO CAUSE ANY DAMAGE BUT BE AWARE: YOU CAN USE IT only AT YOUR OWN RISK. I CAN'T BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO DATA AND/OR HARDWARE CAUSED DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY BY MY RELEASES
    [/LEGAL BS]
    TROUBLESHOOTING (if one step doesn't help - move to another):
    1. Backup your data and delete data.img.
    2. Format your SD card.
    3. Use the latest official rootfs (if it's working report it here).
    4. Try the latest Xdandroid release (other builds my not be compatible).
    5. Find the setup (kernel/system/rootfs) that works fine.
    6. If it's still not working - ask here.
    here is the new rootfs with home key remap for blackstone...by Tiad8 (www.tiad8.com)

http://www.multiupload.com/QU64ZCHN8M

Threadjacking = way to go. I gave you guys instructions on how to update keymap on neopeek/tiad8 builds and this is how you repay me. This thread was meant to test changes so they can be used in the future official xdandroid rootfs releases.

BTW. The rootfs you posted is likely to cause issues because tiad8 broke compatibility with builds other than his own.
    With your kernel + rootfs, I can't have geolocalization anymore on Froyo X red.
    Gonna try the last "official" rootfs.

It's doubtful at best that if you change rootfs you can continue calling it froyo x red. This is based in stock FRX05 XDAndroid, which I encourage using.

Anyway, it works perfectly for me, try updating QuickGPS within WM before booting Haret
    I've added option to choose Home and End Call buttons behavior. See the UPDATE section of the first post for details. You'll find the new rootfs and new kernel build there.