kernel question

Search This thread
I tried using saferoot to root my SCH-I535 and it failed due to "kernel is patched". Is there another kernel I can flash? Or could someone send me a link to a viable option please? My kernel is 3.0.31 se.infra@R0210-08#1. Build is JSS15j.1535VRUCNC1. MY baseband is I535VRUCNC1. Any help is sorely needed and greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

RyanThaDude

Jul 20, 2011
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 2 XL
Saferoot doesn't work on the latest OTA NC1. Plus, you cannot install any other kernels due to VZW locking the bootloaders. I have read (I have not tested) that you can ODIN back to ML1 if you want to root, but you cannot ODIN any other prior releases w/o bricking your phone.

Last edited:

The_Buster

May 4, 2014
Confirmed

Saferoot doesn't work on the latest OTA NC1. Plus, you cannot install any other kernels due to VZW locking the bootloaders. I have read (I have not tested) that you can ODIN back to ML1 if you want to root, but you cannot ODIN any other prior releases w/o bricking your phone.

Yes, if you take the new OTA (NC1) you cannot root it now with saferoot or any other current tool.
And yes, you can ODIN back to ML1 without issue and reoot using saferoot (I have done so.) Well, one issue: Your phone will be wiped clean and you must reinstall all your apps. ExtSD card should remain untouched.
Hopefully, new tools will be developed to allow rooting NC1, although the update is really minor and not needed for most people. The big question is whether once KitKat rolls out for the S3, will it be able to be rooted.

Last edited:
Reactions: ronnieshane1

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Yes, if you take the new OTA (NC1) you cannot root it now with saferoot or any other current tool.
And yes, you can ODIN back to ML1 without issue and reoot using saferoot (I have done so.) Well, one issue: Your phone will be wiped clean and you must reinstall all your apps. ExtSD card should remain untouched.
Hopefully, new tools will be developed to allow rooting NC1, although the update is really minor and not needed for most people. The big question is whether once KitKat rolls out for the S3, will it be able to be rooted.

Rooting before install is easy. Its making one click root applications for post install that can be hard. One way or another KitKat will have root for us locked people.

Reactions: ronnieshane1

The_Buster

May 4, 2014
4.3 Update and Root

I noticed I didn't have OTA Survival Mode checked in SuperSu when I took the OTA. So, after ODINing back to ML1, I thought I'd try again with the Mode checked. This time, I got the update and maintained root.

USAAirman

May 7, 2014
Question....

How do I ODIN back? What does ODIN mean?

mva1985

Dec 31, 2008
I just got my S3 and it has the NC1 update.... if anyone has any info on help rooting please share.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011

I just got my S3 and it has the NC1 update.... if anyone has any info on help rooting please share.

Only VRUCML1 can be rooted.

Odin flash the VRUCML1 tar file then use Saferoot to gain root access. The VRUCML1 tar file is here.

Here are steps on how to use Odin. It is a Windows only program. Only do the "4.3 with Odin" steps which are in red. This will wipe your entire phone (backup anything on your internal storage) and it will be set to out of the box, VRUCML1 factory settings.

Reactions: mva1985

mva1985

Dec 31, 2008

Odin flash the VRUCML1 tar file then use Saferoot to gain root access. The VRUCML1 tar file is here.

Here are steps on how to use Odin. It is a Windows only program. Only do the "4.3 with Odin" steps which are in red. This will wipe your entire phone (backup anything on your internal storage) and it will be set to out of the box, VRUCML1 factory settings.

Thank you!

Sent from my SCH-I535

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4.3 Update and Root

I noticed I didn't have OTA Survival Mode checked in SuperSu when I took the OTA. So, after ODINing back to ML1, I thought I'd try again with the Mode checked. This time, I got the update and maintained root.
    Confirmed

Rooting before install is easy. Its making one click root applications for post install that can be hard. One way or another KitKat will have root for us locked people.