Bricked Moto X after OTA upgrade. Please help me!!

Search This thread

motox1983

Jun 6, 2014
Hi everyone!!

I was wondering if you could help me. I am a bit of a noob in this flashing phones, so here it goes:

I got my Moto x in Mexico XT1058 with 4.4.2 preinstalled. I unlocked the bootloader and flashed 4.4 Retail from Tmobile.
Then upgraded via OTA to 4.4.2
Since I lost some configurations (Like disabling 4G) I decided to Flash again to 4.4.2 from Telcel Mexico. It succeded, but came a OTA upgrade and that is when it Bricked . I am getting very similar errors like this similar thread and it now appears to be Device LOCKED: http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/bootloader-bricked-recovered-fail-t2634982/page8

I saw they did something like flashing separate partitions to get it at some point that you could unlock it again or something.

Could you please help me? I am very desperate :(

Thanks!

omias

Jan 3, 2012
I think your phone is full bricked.
I'm from Mexico too

Enviado desde mi XT1053 mediante Tapatalk

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Hi everyone!!

I was wondering if you could help me. I am a bit of a noob in this flashing phones, so here it goes:

I got my Moto x in Mexico XT1058 with 4.4.2 preinstalled. I unlocked the bootloader and flashed 4.4 Retail from Tmobile.
Since I lost some configurations (Like disabling 4G) I decided to Flash again to 4.4.2 from Telcel Mexico. It succeded, but came a OTA upgrade and that is when it Bricked . I am getting very similar errors like this similar thread and it now appears to be Device LOCKED: http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/bootloader-bricked-recovered-fail-t2634982/page8

I saw they did something like flashing separate partitions to get it at some point that you could unlock it again or something.

Thanks!

Assuming you can get to the bootloader screen, you can TRY using RSD Lite or manual method to flash the 4.4.2 SBF:

http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/guide-moto-x-return-to-100-stock-using-t2446515

Just make sure you use the 4.4.2 SBF File for your carrier from here: sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

Good Luck

EDIT: Reading through the thread you linked, it looks like the key was to FIRST, JUST flash the gpt & motoboot.

So using manual method,

fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img

NEXT, Reboot BEFORE continuing (mfastboot reboot-bootloader)

THEN, you can use the RSD Lite method, or the manual method in the thread I linked.

Let us know if this helps.

Last edited:

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Since I lost some configurations (Like disabling 4G) I decided to Flash again to 4.4.2 from Telcel Mexico. It succeded, but came a OTA upgrade and that is when it Bricked .
So you had 4.4.2, downgraded to 4.4, and taking the OTA caused you to brick?

That is why there are warnings to NOT downgrade (to 4.4 or below) once you have 4.4.2 on your phone...

What @samwathegreat suggested (using mfastboot to flash gpt.bin and motoboot.img first, then RSDLite to flash full 4.4.2 SBF for your carrier) should hopefully work.

Try and charge your phone to above 80% if at all possible before you start.

Reactions: motox1983

motox1983

Jun 6, 2014
It lives now!!!

Assuming you can get to the bootloader screen, you can TRY using RSD Lite or manual method to flash the 4.4.2 SBF:

http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/guide-moto-x-return-to-100-stock-using-t2446515

Just make sure you use the 4.4.2 SBF File for your carrier from here: sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

Good Luck

EDIT: Reading through the thread you linked, it looks like the key was to FIRST, JUST flash the gpt & motoboot.

So using manual method,

NEXT, Reboot BEFORE continuing (adb reboot bootloader)

THEN, you can use the RSD Lite method, or the manual method in the thread I linked.

Thanks a lot samwathegreat. It helped me change the DEVICE Status to UNLOCKED again, but now I am in a bootloop. It boots every couple of minutes or so. I am going to try a full 4.4.2 flash with RSD Lite to see if it solves. What other reason would you think it would be?

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
The key is the reboot to boot loader after flashing the gpt.bin and Moto boot.img. That will allow the new boot loader to continue flashing the rest of the images.

You have a mismatched aboot image and it is incompatible with the new images and reports as locked and cannot flash any images until the proper aboot is flashed and the device reboots into the new boot loader.

Edit: I see you have gotten past the boot loader issue already.

Just flash the full XML.zip with RSD Lite and you will be fine.

motox1983

Jun 6, 2014
Bad news :(

The key is the reboot to boot loader after flashing the gpt.bin and Moto boot.img. That will allow the new boot loader to continue flashing the rest of the images.

You have a mismatched aboot image and it is incompatible with the new images and reports as locked and cannot flash any images until the proper aboot is flashed and the device reboots into the new boot loader.

Hey guys, bad news. I flashed what it supposed to be the full XML.zip from the sbf droid-developers web page (I am not allowed to post URL links yet) and it all seemed well, but when I turned it off and then back on, it got again into a bootloop, rebooting every couple of minutes :(. What do you think it would be the reason? I am from Mexico, so I used the Telcel Mexico 4.4.2 firmware, so I don't use any firmware below 4.4 (the other two options are 4.2.2). I noticed that the Telcel 4.2.2 has more files than the Telcel 4.4.2. Any suggestions? Should I try to flash other firmwares?

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
Hey guys, bad news. I flashed what it supposed to be the full XML.zip from the sbf droid-developers web page (I am not allowed to post URL links yet) and it all seemed well, but when I turned it off and then back on, it got again into a bootloop, rebooting every couple of minutes :(. What do you think it would be the reason? I am from Mexico, so I used the Telcel Mexico 4.4.2 firmware, so I don't use any firmware below 4.4 (the other two options are 4.2.2). I noticed that the Telcel 4.2.2 has more files than the Telcel 4.4.2. Any suggestions? Should I try to flash other firmwares?
Is the Telcel Mexico 4.4.2 what you were running when you first got the phone and it was on 4.4.2?

Based on what cellzealot said.. try this...

First, make sure you are using the latest mFastboot.EXE -> download mFastboot, and unzip it. It has folders containing the Windows, Linux and Mac versions of Moto's fastboot.exe. After unzipping, find the windows version of the moto fastboot.exe, rename it to mfastboot.exe (so you don't mix it up with the one that comes with the Android SDK) and move it in your Android SDK Platform Tools folder.. usually C:\Android-Sdk\platform-tools.

Open a command prompt and change to the folder where you unziped the SBF to, and run the following...

mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
mfastboot reboot-bootloader

EDIT the XML from the SBF. and look for the following lines...
<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="gpt.bin" MD5="xxxxxxxxx" />
<step operation="flash" partition="motoboot" filename="motoboot.img" MD5="xxxxxxx" />

and right after it, add...

<step operation="reboot">

save it.

Then use RSDLite to flash the entire XML.

Reactions: frankie_p

motox1983

Jun 6, 2014
Is the Telcel Mexico 4.4.2 what you were running when you first got the phone and it was on 4.4.2?

First, make sure you are using the latest mFastboot.EXE -> download ..., and unzip it. It has folders containing the Windows, Linux and Mac versions of Moto's fastboot.exe. After unzipping, find the windows version of the moto fastboot.exe, rename it to mfastboot.exe (so you don't mix it up with the one that comes with the Android SDK) and move it in your Android SDK Platform Tools folder.. usually C:\Android-Sdk\platform-tools.

Open a command prompt and change to the folder where you unziped the SBF to, and run the following...

<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="gpt.bin" MD5="xxxxxxxxx" />
<step operation="flash" partition="motoboot" filename="motoboot.img" MD5="xxxxxxx" />

save it.

I am not completely sure if the 4.4.2 version stated in SBF is the one I had when I bought it :(. Maybe it was 4.2.2 and updated to 4.4.2 via OTA and then I unlocked and rooted the device (with 4.4).

Ok, so I flashed the gpt and motoboot as you said, with the modified mfastboot. Then when I modify the XML, and select the file on the RSD lite, comes up an error that says: "Please check input file. Either XML format is wrong or image files associated with it are missing". Am I missing something?

I flashed separately. First edited the XML to flash only gpt and motoboot and rebooted to fastboot. Then modified again XML so it would flash the rest of the SBF. I will see how it works.

Last edited:

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
I am not completely sure if the 4.4.2 version stated in SBF is the one I had when I bought it :(. Maybe it was 4.2.2 and updated to 4.4.2 via OTA and then I unlocked and rooted the device (with 4.4).

Ok, so I flashed the gpt and motoboot as you said, with the modified mfastboot. Then when I modify the XML, and select the file on the RSD lite, comes up an error that says: "Please check input file. Either XML format is wrong or image files associated with it are missing". Am I missing something?
I ask about the version because, to play it safer, we want to make sure you are flashing the SBF of what was on your phone... No matter what way the phone got to 4.4.2, the SBF you are using should be of the same 4.4.2 that was on your phone. i.e. don't flash a T-Mobile 4.4.2 if you started out with a Telcel 4.4.2 rom on your phone. And don't flash a Telcel 4.4.2 if you had a Movistar 4.4.2 rom on there.

Post the contents of the XML, its easier to see what might be wrong with it. Or post the original, un-edited XML, and I will make the edits for you.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010

Do this instead:

Once you have flashed the gpt.bin and motoboot.img, type "mfastboot reboot-bootloader"

Phone will reboot back into bootloader.

Now, assuming you have extracted the contents of the SBF file to the same folder where fastboot and mfastboot reside, run these commands:

fastboot oem fb_mode_set
fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase customize
fastboot erase clogo
fastboot oem fb_mode_clear

Now reboot. Is everything back to normal?

motox1983

Jun 6, 2014
I ask about the version because, to play it safer, we want to make sure you are flashing the SBF of what was on your phone... No matter what way the phone got to 4.4.2, the SBF you are using should be of the same 4.4.2 that was on your phone. i.e. don't flash a T-Mobile 4.4.2 if you started out with a Telcel 4.4.2 rom on your phone. And don't flash a Telcel 4.4.2 if you had a Movistar 4.4.2 rom on there.

Post the contents of the XML, its easier to see what might be wrong with it. Or post the original, un-edited XML, and I will make the edits for you.

This is the XML: When I open it as it comes when I downloaded, It does not get the error, but when I add the line you told me, it gets the error:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<flashing>
<header>
<phone_model model="GHOST" />
<software_version version="ghost_amxmx-user 4.4.2 KXA20.16-1.26 23 release-keysMSM8960PRO_BP_2323.031.111.00R" />
<interfaces>
<interface name="AP" />
</interfaces>
</header>
<steps interface="AP">
<step operation="getvar" var="max-download-size" />
<step operation="oem" var="fb_mode_set" />
<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="gpt.bin" MD5="7ed24e75a2bfb3f8c02be2a269e9881b" />
<step operation="flash" partition="motoboot" filename="motoboot.img" MD5="32232cae7ca8459bd52fb9fc9a0e57f6" />
<step operation="flash" partition="logo" filename="logo.bin" MD5="5c8c2a8ba7f9e6f77df5bec5481a31a9" />
<step operation="flash" partition="boot" filename="boot.img" MD5="167bd75bf0414558616f2a5343f7d1f4" />
<step operation="flash" partition="recovery" filename="recovery.img" MD5="96acde1a2233244bbf9828cfa041cb75" />
<step operation="flash" partition="system" filename="system.img" MD5="cf6d51b5ae957d150a693cbf3eef4432" />
<step operation="flash" partition="modem" filename="NON-HLOS.bin" MD5="f247fbd71d9a80821ecdc952c9116893" />
<step operation="erase" partition="modemst1" />
<step operation="erase" partition="modemst2" />
<step operation="flash" partition="fsg" filename="fsg.mbn" MD5="e50401645391cc7acfb96163748d966f" />
<step operation="erase" partition="cache" />
<step operation="erase" partition="userdata" />
<step operation="erase" partition="customize" />
<step operation="erase" partition="clogo" />
<step operation="oem" var="fb_mode_clear" />
</steps>
</flashing>

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
Do this instead:

Once you have flashed the gpt.bin and motoboot.img, type "mfastboot reboot-bootloader"

Now, assuming you have extracted the contents of the SBF file to the same folder where fastboot and mfastboot reside, run these commands:....
@motox1983 yup, that is the other way.

Because if issues people had flashing logo.bin and recovery using the stock fastboot, I usually recommend using mfastboot instead of fastboot with the moto phones.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

This is the XML: When I open it as it comes when I downloaded, It does not get the error, but when I add the line you told me, it gets the error:
Edited version..

Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<flashing>
<header>
<software_version version="ghost_amxmx-user 4.4.2 KXA20.16-1.26 23 release-keysMSM8960PRO_BP_2323.031.111.00R" />
<interfaces>
<interface name="AP" />
</interfaces>
</header>
<steps interface="AP">
<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="gpt.bin" MD5="7ed24e75a2bfb3f8c02be2a269e9881b" />
<step operation="flash" partition="motoboot" filename="motoboot.img" MD5="32232cae7ca8459bd52fb9fc9a0e57f6" />
<step operation="flash" partition="logo" filename="logo.bin" MD5="5c8c2a8ba7f9e6f77df5bec5481a31a9" />
<step operation="flash" partition="boot" filename="boot.img" MD5="167bd75bf0414558616f2a5343f7d1f4" />
<step operation="flash" partition="recovery" filename="recovery.img" MD5="96acde1a2233244bbf9828cfa041cb75" />
<step operation="flash" partition="system" filename="system.img" MD5="cf6d51b5ae957d150a693cbf3eef4432" />
<step operation="flash" partition="modem" filename="NON-HLOS.bin" MD5="f247fbd71d9a80821ecdc952c9116893" />
<step operation="flash" partition="fsg" filename="fsg.mbn" MD5="e50401645391cc7acfb96163748d966f" />
</steps>
</flashing>

or use fastboot/mfastboot to do it manually as samwathegreat has just suggested.

motox1983

Jun 6, 2014

Because if issues people had flashing logo.bin and recovery using the stock fastboot, I usually recommend using mfastboot instead of fastboot with the moto phones.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Edited version..

Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<flashing>
<header>
<interfaces>
<interface name="AP" />
</interfaces>
</header>
<steps interface="AP">
</steps>
</flashing>

or use fastboot/mfastboot to do it manually as samwathegreat has just suggested.

Still getting the error message :(. Will try the manual process and let you know. Thanks!

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010

Edited version..

It looks like the proper syntax for the reboot is this:

<step operation="reboot-bootloader" />

Perhaps this is why he is getting the error from RSD Lite?

Still getting the error message :(. Will try the manual process and let you know. Thanks!

Once you have finished the manual method and reboot, it is normal for the first boot to take longer than usual.

Last edited:

motox1983

Jun 6, 2014
It looks like the proper syntax for the reboot is this:

<step operation="reboot-bootloader" />

Perhaps this is why he is getting the error from RSD Lite?

Once you have finished the manual method and reboot, it is normal for the first boot to take longer than usual.

Ok, so I finished the manual method and rebooted. I realised that if it is updating or downloading applications it wont reboot, so I stopped them all and after a couple of minutes it rebooted again. Now it has been about 10 min and it has not rebooted anymore. I am not sure if it is alright or is normal or what would be the reason for it to reboot again.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Ok, so I finished the manual method and rebooted. I realised that if it is updating or downloading applications it wont reboot, so I stopped them all and after a couple of minutes it rebooted again. Now it has been about 10 min and it has not rebooted anymore. I am not sure if it is alright or is normal or what would be the reason for it to reboot again.

So the phone is just randomly rebooting itself? Like it has crashed or something?

All I can say is give it a while and see if it continues to happen. Since we have returned your software to 100% stock, if your phone continues to randomly reboot, I would suspect a hardware issue...but it is difficult to tell.

If it doesn't happen again I wouldn't worry about it, but definitely post back and update us.

motox1983

Jun 6, 2014
So the phone is just randomly rebooting itself? Like it has crashed or something?

All I can say is give it a while and see if it continues to happen. Since we have returned your software to 100% stock, if your phone continues to randomly reboot, I would suspect a hardware issue...but it is difficult to tell.

If it doesn't happen again I wouldn't worry about it, but definitely post back and update us.

Ok it is rebooting again now, every couple of minutes :( I guess it would be a hardware problem. And obviously I lost the warranty when I unlocked. So no last ideas before I give up? hehe

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone!!

Thanks!

Good Luck

So using manual method,

NEXT, Reboot BEFORE continuing (mfastboot reboot-bootloader)

Since I lost some configurations (Like disabling 4G) I decided to Flash again to 4.4.2 from Telcel Mexico. It succeded, but came a OTA upgrade and that is when it Bricked .
    So you had 4.4.2, downgraded to 4.4, and taking the OTA caused you to brick?

That is why there are warnings to NOT downgrade (to 4.4 or below) once you have 4.4.2 on your phone...

What @samwathegreat suggested (using mfastboot to flash gpt.bin and motoboot.img first, then RSDLite to flash full 4.4.2 SBF for your carrier) should hopefully work.

Try and charge your phone to above 80% if at all possible before you start.

First, make sure you are using the latest mFastboot.EXE -> download mFastboot, and unzip it. It has folders containing the Windows, Linux and Mac versions of Moto's fastboot.exe. After unzipping, find the windows version of the moto fastboot.exe, rename it to mfastboot.exe (so you don't mix it up with the one that comes with the Android SDK) and move it in your Android SDK Platform Tools folder.. usually C:\Android-Sdk\platform-tools.

save it.

Do this instead:

Now, assuming you have extracted the contents of the SBF file to the same folder where fastboot and mfastboot reside, run these commands:

fastboot oem fb_mode_set
    fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    mfastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase customize
    fastboot erase clogo
    fastboot oem fb_mode_clear

Now reboot. Is everything back to normal?