[SOURCE] [UNOFFICIAL] CM7 for Infuse (Updated: 2011-09-29)

Search This thread

Mattsrow

Apr 8, 2010
Visalia
Finally!

Thanks for the advice on Compiling guys. I think it was the RAM in the end. I allocated some more space to my SWAP partition, and then changed the swappiness to 100, and it did the trick. It compiled without any issues and I'm running it right now. I'm running the build from 08/15, so I still have some of the bugs that it looks like were either fixed or shutoff in the 08/17 build. I'm compiling that right now, and I'll give it a shot.

I've also noticed that Wifi turns off (at least for me) when the phone has been in sleep mode for about 5 minutes, and when it's set to sync data, it eats up alot of mobile data. So I don't know if there's a way around this except to just turn off mobile data and then wait a few seconds after you unlock your phone for it to find a Wifi signal, but I just wanted to let you guys know that that's a bug that I've seen in a couple builds...

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
After 2 days of using CM7:

1. Very fast and smooth.
2. I like the new camera app and the settings menu in general.
3. MMS not working for me. I've noticed that I have to be connected via WIFI in order to send/receive MMS. (help!)
4. Indeed, GPS is broken on this last build (2 hours ago)
5. I had few Random Reboots (around 2-4 per day). Some happened while the phone was in "deep sleep". (OC was disabled)
6. Cannot be too aggressive with OC (max 1.4 - conservative) and UV (-50). Beyond that I get crashes.
7. Battery seems not to last as long. I was at 50% after 6 hours.

Just my 2 cents...
MMS - no clue, I never use MMS so I can't really debug this one. It may have to do with the APN types being different from stock Froyo.

GPS - The Bluetooth fix broke GPS. So expect Bluetooth to go away for a bit again in favor of GPS. It's some artifact relating to one chip handling both Bluetooth and GPS in our phone. :( Apparently the progress/breakage was enough to give LB some ideas as far as things to try though - of course no guarantees that any of them will work as usual.

Random reboots - LB missed one little last thing in the BLN implementation, should be fixed next kernel drop. It's fixed in git already if you can build kernels yourself.

Battery life - if your battery was getting sucked down by Android System, I think this is connected with the GPS brokenness. I was having lots of battery problems too - they seem to have gone away since the Bluetooth fix was reverted (which fixes GPS).

welchertc

Jan 13, 2011
Ughhhh. I tried to go through the process today. Got ubuntu 11.04 installed. That was easy. Everything past that though is over my head. My dad helped me a bit seeing as he is a computer software engineer, but it seems as though something isn't right with the android sdk or something. Guess I shouldn't just expect to pick up ubuntu and learn how to work it in a day. I'll try and tinker with it/get help from my dad/find tutorials on xda to get everything prepared to compile.

Basically, my issue is getting everything set up correctly with ubuntu (java jdk, android sdk) so that I can run the commands found in the tutorial that is linked in the OP. If any of you know of a step by step that would help me get set up so I can use that tutorial, that would be great.

I am well aware of the current issues, they just aren't an issue to me, and I'm always itching to get deeper into android. Sorry for being an ubuntu noob in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using XDA Premium App

Last edited:
Reactions: tnayrbj

onodontbescurred

Dec 29, 2009
Chesterfield, Va
Ughhhh. I tried to go through the process today. Got ubuntu 11.04 installed. That was easy. Everything past that though is over my head. My dad helped me a bit seeing as he is a computer software engineer, but it seems as though something isn't right with the android sdk or something. Guess I shouldn't just expect to pick up ubuntu and learn how to work it in a day. I'll try and tinker with it/get help from my dad/find tutorials on xda to get everything prepared to compile.

Basically, my issue is getting everything set up correctly with ubuntu (java jdk, android sdk) so that I can run the commands found in the tutorial that is linked in the OP. If any of you know of a step by step that would help me get set up so I can use that tutorial, that would be great.

I am well aware of the current issues, they just aren't an issue to me, and I'm always itching to get deeper into android. Sorry for being an ubuntu noob in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using XDA Premium App

If you are on a 64 bit machine make sure you download lib32 binaries. Don't know if that will help but it is a step that messed me up for a long time until, after a lot of googling I finally found it. Hope this helps

araemo

Jun 23, 2011
I probably over-killed it but I put 30 gigs for my VM... just in case... I know the first time I tried I thought 20 was enough, but it wasn't.

Oh joy.. my VM is at 20GB, I ran out when it was 16GB, so I increased it to 20GB... if I can't build a few hundred MB rom in 4GB, something is wrong.

mfpearson

Jul 27, 2011
St. Louis
I keep getting git-core command not found

Samsung infuse running gingerbread!

someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure i used this:

$ sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev squashfs-tools build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev sun-java6-jdk pngcrush schedtool

Oh joy.. my VM is at 20GB, I ran out when it was 16GB, so I increased it to 20GB... if I can't build a few hundred MB rom in 4GB, something is wrong.

sorry to have to tell you this - but you are going to run out of room again. 30 GB of HD space is what you need to allocate to the VM.

NateZilla

Oct 15, 2010
WOOOOT

if i knew where the thank you button was, i would give it to all of you! keep up to good work, i can't wait!

cpunchin

Jul 3, 2011
MMS - no clue, I never use MMS so I can't really debug this one. It may have to do with the APN types being different from stock Froyo.

GPS - The Bluetooth fix broke GPS. So expect Bluetooth to go away for a bit again in favor of GPS. It's some artifact relating to one chip handling both Bluetooth and GPS in our phone. :( Apparently the progress/breakage was enough to give LB some ideas as far as things to try though - of course no guarantees that any of them will work as usual.

Random reboots - LB missed one little last thing in the BLN implementation, should be fixed next kernel drop. It's fixed in git already if you can build kernels yourself.

Battery life - if your battery was getting sucked down by Android System, I think this is connected with the GPS brokenness. I was having lots of battery problems too - they seem to have gone away since the Bluetooth fix was reverted (which fixes GPS).

Thanks Entropy,

I was able to get MMS up and running (without WIFI). Under the APN Settings, select "ATT MMS" and delete the contents under "Proxy" and the "APN Type". Save and Select it. So far, so good.

There was no need to enter any server or login info as stated on other pages.

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY

Sorry, this is the nature of source code, it can often be significantly larger than the binary output.

For example, a typical Linux kernel tree is pushing close to 100 MB uncompressed now - this is to build a kernel that is limited on our devices to a maximum of around 7.8MB compressed.

Git repos are even larger as they contain the commit history of the source code being developed.

A full AOSP/Cyanogenmod source tree with git history weighs in at a few gigs at least.

araemo

Jun 23, 2011
I already had the whole tree downloaded, I ran out of space on the compile. The linker files better not take up 4GB. That said, an hour or so gets me a finished zip file. If only I could play with it before tomorrow.

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
Fantastic, Built CM7 today, working pretty sweet. Great work!

Nothing to report that isn't already known so far.

Noobish question - How do we know when there is a new build for this repo? Just run sync and see if it updates, or is there a more elegant way?

Also it's been a while, how do I get battery % back?

Last edited:

mfpearson

Jul 27, 2011
St. Louis
Fantastic, Built CM7 today, working pretty sweet. Great work!

Nothing to report that isn't already known so far.

Noobish question - How do we know when there is a new build for this repo? Just run sync and see if it updates, or is there a more elegant way?

Also it's been a while, how do I get battery % back?

LB will update the thread when there are changes.

Settings > CM Settings > Interface > Status Bar Tweaks > Battery Percentage

Reactions: crawlgsx

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
Have found signal strength to be weaker than I am used to, what radio is this using? (looks like Rogers modem I assume?). Tried UKE3 ATT Modem with no difference. Signal is good but just keeps randomly dropping to no bars and no data.

Also lock/unlock sounds will not work for me, anyone else?

Last edited:

cpunchin

Jul 3, 2011
I flashed CyanogenMod "update-cm-7.1.0-Infuse4G-KANG-gtg465x-2011-08-17-2334" yesterday and had to do
a Nandroid restore to Linuxbozo's update-cm-710-Infuse4G-KANG-2011-08-15-1927 build due to a lot of FC's.

Here are just a few of the apps which has the FC problem:
#1: Heytell
#2: Whatsapp
#3: Tencent Desktop
#4: Phone
#5: Rom Manager

There are other apps which randomly FC when trying to open them.
At first I did not do a clean install, did not wipe/factory reset so
I thought perhaps that was the problem so I reflashed the phone and done
wipe/factory reset but it still FC's when trying to open a lot of apps.

Rom Manager only FC's if under settings I select Advanced Mode.
After making a phone call it FC's almost all the time.
Also under settings>about>battery stats clicking on battery stats the screen is totally messed up.
The signal strength bars display either no signal or only 1 bar yet the out going and incoming calls are fine.
(LB's last update has 3 bars in exact same location in my house)

Thanks for continuing the excellent work on CM7 :)

I'm not getting as many FC's on 8/17 as compared to the 8/15 build. As a matter of fact, I have none since last night's flash. When I flashed last night, I formatted the /system partition under CWM before flashing. Perhaps that can help...

Reactions: Misterjunky

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Had a spontaneous reboot.

Saw an LED notification, turned screen on. Notifications for email and an SMS or call log backup were present (will figure out which later). Touchscreen was unresponsive, I turned off the screen and had a spontaneous reboot.

last_kmsg attached

Also had the same annoyance I've been having all week - mediaserver hangs up at bootup causing an infinite bootanim unless I adb in and kill it. Logcat from that a few pages back. (Edit: Did more research, I'm guessing that my external or internal SD is not getting fscked properly. Unfortunately CWM only has e2fsck, not fsck.vfat.)

Edit: Had a chance to look at the kmsg. ****ing BLN.

Attachments

• last_kmsg.zip
    131.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some folks seem interested in how much progress is being made on a CM7 port for the Infuse, so here's a bit more information for everyone. I have included instructions on how to build your own version, but you will want to pay attention to the following list of what works and what doesn't.

Currently working:
    • Full EXT4 implementation using BML/STL not MTD. This means you can flash other ROMs without having to "unbrick". NOTE: This will be changing soon. We will switch to the standard way that CM7 on Samsung phones works, which is using MTD. This is so we can merge this into the SGS team and begin building nightlies.
    • CWM flashing (no rainbows in CWM)
    • GPS
    • Wifi
    • Accelerometer/Proximity and other sensors
    • Phone
    • SMS messaging
    • Camera, FFC, and flash
    • Haptic feedback and vibration
    • NO Rainbows using Froyo bootloaders.
    • Brightness control, including auto-brightness.
    • Wifi tethering
    • Hardware accelerated video playback and recording
    • Fixed issue with 4G speeds. Solved with some apns-conf.xml tweaks.
    • Incoming call ringtones.
    • Advanced camera settings, including face detection SEE:http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,7267
    • working backup/restore from CWM
    • OC/UV kernel with Interactive and Smartass governors and other tweaks.
    • USB storage fixed, including USB debug notification and USB tethering support (Thanks go to gtg465x)
    • Voodoo Sound now fixed after call. (thanks go to ajerman)
    • Bluetooth now back to semi-working state without breaking GPS. Will pair, A2DP audio skips, no sound/mic on phone calls via headsets.
    • NEW Fixed smartass governor so it scales properly, and has proper export defined in the kernel scheduler.

Currently broken:

Removed:
    • BLN (causing way too many instability and random reboot issues)

I have pretty much done this as a one man band, with some assistance from the GalaxyS guys, in particular codeworkx, Unhelpful and Kaik541.
    Want to help out? DONATE. This allows me to take the GF out to dinner so she isn't as pissy when I'm working on this stuff. ;-)

If you'd like to build your own copy, follow this guide:
    http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S:_Compile_CyanogenMod_(Linux)
    Pay attention, because this matters.
    • In the "Install the Repository" section, use this line to download the repo script:
      Code:
      curl https://raw.github.com/TeamRefuse/android/gingerbread/repo > ~/bin/repo
    • In the "Install the Repository" section, use this line for the repo init:
      Code:
      repo init -u git://github.com/TeamRefuse/android.git -b gingerbread
    • Skip the "Copy proprietary files" section. All proprietary files you need are included.
    • In the "Configure Build & Compile" step, replace "galaxysmtd" with "infuse4g"
    When you are done building, you should have your very own version of CM7 with all the bugs that I mention above.

Still have issues? Completely new to linux and the like? Check out this guide courtesy of Skwerl23

Flashing from RED CWM
    When flashing from RED CWM, there are a few extra steps needed to get this working:
    1. Flash CM7 zip
    2. Reboot. You will get stuck at Samsung screen. This is normal.
    3. Pull battery, and reboot into recovery (Hold: VOL+ VOL- Power)
    4. You should now be in ORANGE CWM.
    5. Go to "mounts and storage"
    6. select format /system
    7. Reflash CM7 zip (NOTE: don't forget gapps as well)
    8. Reboot into CM7 goodness
    2011-09-29
    • Fixed up smartass governor so it actually works instead of falling back to interactive, and scales properly.

2011-09-26

2011-09-22
    Ok, for those that want it, here it is:

update-cm-7.1.0-Infuse4G-KANG-090211.zip - Link removed to prevent issues... PM me if you've downloaded and need help, so as to not clutter this thread.

If anyone has a problem with me posting this, let me know and I'll remove it. It works 100% though. Built yesterday. :)

EDIT: For first time CM flashers coming from Samsung ROM's, MAKE SURE TO DELETE YOUR CACHE (normal and dalvik) AND DO A FACTORY RESET/DATA WIPE! Flashing from Green/Red CWM you may have to do a quick battery pull like the OP said in his installation instructions...
    Easy. Dont run quadrant. Its useless anyway.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using XDA App
    Fixed Voodoo Sound issue after calls. You can download the updated kernel here: http://www.multiupload.com/IEDSKJ82H4

I'll push the changes to github in the morning, but I gotta go home now!

EDIT: I've had a few weird reboots since I flashed this kernel, but I can't imagine any of the code changed is causing it since its such a small change and related only to the audio states. It may just be my phone, or the OC/UV I just set today, so let me know if anyone flashes it and has any issues.

EDIT2: The weird issues were caused by smartass. Changed back to conservative and everything's good again.