[A510] Root and Bootloader unlock

Search This thread

BENETNATH

Jan 7, 2011
Hi,

just to put info at the right place.
A510 root is yet available, thanks to Acer dev..
A100 exploit is still working, at least on current firmwares.
Thanks to Jesse6749, ZeroNull and vdsirotkin (4pda.ru) :

see xda topic here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25036001&postcount=93
consider installing acer a510 drivers from their website(even if your a510 is currently recognized by your pc)
in addition, some user had bugs at the end of the script, but root is done (su + titanium backup working)

another tool should be mentioned :
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1661324

To unlock bootloader (Euclid's Brother ) :
You must have the ability to send adb commands to the tablet.

adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot oem unlock

As a reminder :
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/SOS of=/mnt/sdcard/recovery.img
dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/LNX of=/mnt/sdcard/boot.img
dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP of=/mnt/sdcard/system.img

out of this :
(thanks nikagl)
Code:
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/SOS    /dev/block/mmcblk0p1    /recovery
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/LNX    /dev/block/mmcblk0p2    /boot
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP    /dev/block/mmcblk0p3    /system
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/CAC    /dev/block/mmcblk0p4    /cache
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/MSC    /dev/block/mmcblk0p5    /misc
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/FLX    /dev/block/mmcblk0p6    /system/vendor    /flexrom    /flex
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/AKB    /dev/block/mmcblk0p7    ?
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/USP    /dev/block/mmcblk0p8    /aboot    (bootloader.blob)
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/DE2    /dev/block/mmcblk0p9    ?
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/UDA    /dev/block/mmcblk0p10    /data
So you can use these commands:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/CAC of=/mnt/sdcard/cache.img
dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/MSC of=/mnt/sdcard/misc.img
dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/FLX of=/mnt/sdcard/flexrom.img
dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/AKB of=/mnt/sdcard/AKB.img
dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/USP of=/mnt/sdcard/bootloader.img
dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/DE2 of=/mnt/sdcard/DE2.img
dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/UDA of=/mnt/sdcard/data.img

Last edited:

salisbury_steak

Oct 21, 2010
Manila
www.fb.com
Has anyone been able to update their SU binaries?
I updated the superuser app and when I checked my binaries (and tried to update them), I get:
"remounting /system as rw... fail"

I'm thinking I need to update my busybox, but the steps in the OP links says I should not. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
I updated the superuser app and when I checked my binaries (and tried to update them), I get:

I'm thinking I need to update my busybox, but the steps in the OP links says I should not. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Using the recovery and root scripts I created I was able to update su, etc. I think the mempodroid exploit has some problem with newer version of busybox, also judging from the other thread (Full root for A10x / A5xx) - see my posts over there. The AIO tool also uses that mempodroid exploit... maybe it's better to start using the recovery & root script?

Regards,

Nika.

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Using the recovery and root scripts I created I was able to update su, etc. I think the mempodroid exploit has some problem with newer version of busybox, also judging from the other thread (Full root for A10x / A5xx) - see my posts over there. The AIO tool also uses that mempodroid exploit... maybe it's better to start using the recovery & root script?

Regards,

Nika.

Sorry, got to recall this post. The new version of busybox does have some problems with mounting through busybox. Doing it directly works, but through busybox it fails. See my post here: 202

Regards,

Nika.

Reactions: salisbury_steak

salisbury_steak

Oct 21, 2010
Manila
www.fb.com
Thanks for the update. So for now... I just leave it as is, right?
Or should I try to update busybox? And yes, I'm using the mempodroid exploit.

Sent from my Acer Iconia A510

loerkus

May 4, 2010
Potsdam
How to UNROOT & LOCK

Is it poosible to lock and unroot an previously rooted A511? I am not 100% satisfied with the display and would like sending back my a511 and wait for a701.

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
Is it poosible to lock and unroot an previously rooted A511? I am not 100% satisfied with the display and would like sending back my a511 and wait for a701.

Easiest methods:

Lock = install new ROM (FOTA, if available, or the 1.011 rom and then do FOTA)
Unroot = install new ROM (although that may not cleanup every trace) or factory reset (which is the best method -- but will wipe ALL your data)
Recovery = not possible yet - I don't recall seeing a stock-A511-recovery yet... you can try putting the A510 recovery on (I did that, it seemed to not work but at least wipes away most of the traces of your hack-attempt)

Regards,

Nika.

Reactions: loerkus

loerkus

May 4, 2010
Potsdam
FOTA says my ROM is up-to-date. So I have to flash. I downloaded from the Stock-ROM forum Acer_AV041_A511_1.011.00_WW_GEN1.zip. But how can I flash it? Sorry to bother you but I don't want to brick my a511.

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
FOTA says my ROM is up-to-date. So I have to flash. I downloaded from the Stock-ROM forum Acer_AV041_A511_1.011.00_WW_GEN1.zip. But how can I flash it? Sorry to bother you but I don't want to brick my a511.

I have downgraded twice with that ROM. Just rename it to update.zip, make sure the bootloader is unlocked and copy the zip to your external sdcard and reboot into recovery. It will start the downgrade automatically, reboots, will republish your apps (or something like that) and then you can do the FOTA to move up to 1.034 (I think - can't check as my tab is dead...).

Regards,

Nika.

loerkus

May 4, 2010
Potsdam
I have downgraded twice with that ROM. Just rename it to update.zip, make sure the bootloader is unlocked and copy the zip to your external sdcard and reboot into recovery. It will start the downgrade automatically, reboots, will republish your apps (or something like that) and then you can do the FOTA to move up to 1.034 (I think - can't check as my tab is dead...).

Regards,

Nika.

Thanks. Now in CWM I get the error:

Installing update...
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.name") == "a511_ww_gen1"
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
Thanks. Now in CWM I get the error:

Installing update...
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.name") == "a511_ww_gen1"
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

That means you don't have a ww_gen1 A511 device. Yours is probably German (for instance A511_EMEA_DE). You can check that in your device.prop file.

The following is on another forum (translated from Russian):
acer-club said:
On the firmware from another region will be ask only through Customise recovery (someone here wrote that your machines already have this), after removing the check of the firmware from the archive in the installation script (/ META-INF/com/google/android / updater-script) - something like this in the beginning of the installation script:

assert (getprop ("ro.product.name") == "a510_emea_cus1");

this part of the "a510_emea_cus1" on different firmware will be different. Remove all the line.
By necessity, that would not lose the unlock, you need to remove the fill from the new firmware bootloader'a (bootloader.blob file in the root of the archive firmware) and disable the recovery of stock recovery (file / system / etc / install-recovery.sh in the archive or rename the firmware removed), otherwise the whole tablet, and overwrite the unlock will be stitched completely stock firmware.
Next, fill up this way obtained the firmware on the SD card and flashed it through Customise recovery (recovery through the stock it does not work!).

It contains some info on what to do, but I think that's way to risky. It did also contain a good hint how to revert recovery! Try to rename the "install-recovery.sh" file back. It's either renamed by the script you executed for root or part of the instructions on how to install the cwm recovery. After this, try to boot a few times and I assume both the recovery and possibly even the unlocked bootloader will be reverted to stock! In that case you can also simply do a factory reset and it will remove the root as well :)

bvhoesel

Mar 30, 2011
Rooting via the mempodroid exploid on Acer_AV041_A510_RV28RC02_WW_GEN1 worked as far as I can see (SuperUser and Titanium Backup install and run alright).

Only problem I see is that apps like Titanium Backup and ES File explorer are not able to mount /system as rw and thus are a little limited in there actions. They do not complain on gaining su, that works.

(Re)mount commands via adb shell:

mount -o remount,rw /system
mount -o remount,ro /system

do work as expected.

Any idea's on what is wrong / missing and how to correct it?

Edit:
It seems that a rw mount on / is going OK ???

Last edited:

keva

May 26, 2012
i used aio tool and rooted and unlocked bootloader...2 questions:

1- how to install a rom now?
2- if i want, can i lock again bootloader and remove root in order to avoid acer assistence troubles?
if i can0t remove it, can i just leave it there? can i install any fota if acer releases it? or acer invalidates guarantee if i need it?

Last edited:

bob497

Apr 5, 2014
Not working

Hi, I tried this and unfortunately it failed.

PC: Windows 7 64bit
Acer A510: running Android 4.1.2, kernel 3.1.10+, build version Acer_AV051_A510_RV11RC01_WW_GEN1
The A510 is already unlocked using the fastboot method.

Logged inn as administrator, ran runit-win and got:
Full root for A100 ICS. Simple method.
-
-
Device connected. Preparation for executing of the main script.
mkdir failed for /data/local/tools, Permission denied
push: tools/su -> /data/local/tools/su
failed to copy 'tools/su' to '/data/local/tools/su': No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /data/local/tools/*: No such file or directory
remote object '/data/local/tools/mempodroid' does not exist
The file "mempodroid" isn't created!
-
Not getting root! :(
-
Error!
-
Press any key.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

just to put info at the right place.
    A510 root is yet available, thanks to Acer dev..
    A100 exploit is still working, at least on current firmwares.
    Thanks to Jesse6749, ZeroNull and vdsirotkin (4pda.ru) :

see xda topic here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25036001&postcount=93
    consider installing acer a510 drivers from their website(even if your a510 is currently recognized by your pc)
    in addition, some user had bugs at the end of the script, but root is done (su + titanium backup working)

another tool should be mentioned :
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1661324

To unlock bootloader (Euclid's Brother ) :
    You must have the ability to send adb commands to the tablet.

adb reboot-bootloader
    fastboot oem unlock

As a reminder :
    Code:

out of this :
    (thanks nikagl)
    Code:
    /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/SOS    /dev/block/mmcblk0p1    /recovery
    /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/LNX    /dev/block/mmcblk0p2    /boot
    /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP    /dev/block/mmcblk0p3    /system
    /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/CAC    /dev/block/mmcblk0p4    /cache
    /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/MSC    /dev/block/mmcblk0p5    /misc
    /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/FLX    /dev/block/mmcblk0p6    /system/vendor    /flexrom    /flex
    /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/AKB    /dev/block/mmcblk0p7    ?
    /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/USP    /dev/block/mmcblk0p8    /aboot    (bootloader.blob)
    /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/DE2    /dev/block/mmcblk0p9    ?
    /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/UDA    /dev/block/mmcblk0p10    /data
    So you can use these commands:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/CAC of=/mnt/sdcard/cache.img
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/MSC of=/mnt/sdcard/misc.img
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/FLX of=/mnt/sdcard/flexrom.img
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/AKB of=/mnt/sdcard/AKB.img
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/USP of=/mnt/sdcard/bootloader.img
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/DE2 of=/mnt/sdcard/DE2.img
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/UDA of=/mnt/sdcard/data.img

Regards,

Nika.

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Regards,

Nika.

Sorry, got to recall this post. The new version of busybox does have some problems with mounting through busybox. Doing it directly works, but through busybox it fails. See my post here: 202

Regards,

Nika.
    Thanks for the update. So for now... I just leave it as is, right?
    Or should I try to update busybox? And yes, I'm using the mempodroid exploit.

Sent from my Acer Iconia A510

Yes, definitely leave it like it is.

Easiest methods:

Lock = install new ROM (FOTA, if available, or the 1.011 rom and then do FOTA)
    Unroot = install new ROM (although that may not cleanup every trace) or factory reset (which is the best method -- but will wipe ALL your data)
    Recovery = not possible yet - I don't recall seeing a stock-A511-recovery yet... you can try putting the A510 recovery on (I did that, it seemed to not work but at least wipes away most of the traces of your hack-attempt)

Regards,

Nika.

Regards,

Nika.