Giving serious thought to moving to the Evo 3D

Search This thread

nubsors

Oct 26, 2010
Fremont
Anyone else giving serious thought to moving to the Evo 3D from the Epic? I am. I know the bootloader is encrypted and that there is no guarantee that it will be unlocked but I just went to the Sprint store and played around with one for a few minutes.

What I noticed was that the screen was not nearly as washed out as the Evo 4G. I also liked how incredibly smooth the screen transition effects were. I've always liked sense but I also like TW3 and TW4.

So the one thing that really caught me off guard was the 3D pictures and movies. I was a little shocked at how cool they looked. I totally thought it was going to look like crap and that the 3D would be a feature I would never use. WRONG! I would probably use it all the time.

jakmai

Aug 13, 2009
what is the Within?

Edit: ah its the galaxy s2. That phone is the best smartphone made to date.

Last edited:

gradynyc

May 22, 2008
What I noticed was that the screen was not nearly as washed out as the Evo 4G. I also liked how incredibly smooth the screen transition effects were.

Sounds like your trying to convince yourself. I played with it a couple days ago and the screen definitely is no Samsung screen. I think i'll wait for the Within or something else down the road. Great specs and speed on the phone though.

cberrios

Dec 28, 2010
Williamsville
Google Pixel 6
I got it for my wife as a replacement for her epic. She loves it... And I must admit the phone is pretty darn good... Is smooth and responsive... I'm still holding on my epic for now...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Dulanic

Aug 1, 2007
Fall River, MA
This is the epic forum the evo 3D forum is ------>

We have enough spam from trolls, we don't need to hear what phone that isn't a epic your thinking about TBH.

Reactions: siirus09

heathmcabee

Feb 9, 2008
The Evo 3d will be unlocked. It has been confirmed. Everyone just wants to be little cry baby's about it not being unlocked right now. + everyone in the Epic forums are sour about the Evo 3d for some reason. Not sure why.

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas
I had and evo 4g it is agreat phone , also had the nexus s and now the epic they all hav e there ups and down I do want a gs2 phone tho if it is slim as the european version I'm definetely gettin it, my upgrade is do in december (maybe I get the nexus 3 if avaiable for sprint) so will see what's out then I was gonna get and evo 3d but qhd doesn't convince maybe it would if ithad sper amoled screen that's one of the reason I like the epic and the nexus, evo screen suck compare to my iphone 3gs, but for now the epic is doing good I hope gingerbread is out soon for epic

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

dieselg5

Jan 28, 2009
New York City
Anyone who does want this piece of s**t of a phone anymore is thinking about the 3D. I'd switch in a heartbeat if my upgrade was available. I can't wait to switch to a different phone and probably a different carrier so I can smash this Samsung piece of s**t to pieces with a hammer.

zanderman112

Oct 6, 2010
SouthEast USA
www.twitter.com
Being encrypted or locked or whichever it is, bad viewing angles, and sense make me say no I dont want it. I'd get the WiThin, or wait for another keyboarded phone(not the epic 2)

Sent from my Epic 4G, awaiting official Gingerbread.

nubsors

Oct 26, 2010
Fremont
By the way I was not trying to bash the epic. Its a great phone, just looking to upgrade and wanted to get epic user feed back.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

muyoso

Oct 23, 2007
Because they don't get to bash it for having a weaker GPU like they did with the Evo 4G.

Pretty sure it still has a weaker gpu. Adreno220 right? Meh. Also the evo3d is choppy scrolling through menus, which is pathetic.

Last edited:

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
Because they don't get to bash it for having a weaker GPU like they did with the Evo 4G.

im sorry what?

38183.png

the gpu is a single gpu.. thats all, no tom foolery its not a quadcore gpu with a dual core cpu..

as you can see from the chart.. the nexus s gets 20.9 fps, to get the same performance of an evo3d on this test (bear in mind this is a graphics/gpu test so cpu does have a small part to play in it but not as much) i could overclock my nexus s 4g to 1.4ghz and stomp the stock evo3d...

1. now why does this matter? you are taking a 1ghz single core, doubling the cores and adding a 20% boost to clock speed to get this kind of.. "performance" boost... now just to be fair ill post the scores of the pro version

38184.png

now we can get to the good stuff sure the htc evo3d is now on the top, congrats hurrah! please refer back to number 1. you are talking about a cpu that has 220% performance boost, a brand new gpu.... and you get a increase in 11.5 frames per second. now sure when it gets hacked.. and if it can do overclocking im sure it will further push those specs... but from where im standing right now the evo3d is a bit of a joke. ill hold out for the nexus 3 or the sprint within... kthxbai

also as a side note i think its funny how a tegra 2 phone like the atrix takes a 9 fps hit compared to the stock android lg g2x, clearly motoblur is for the best :rolleyes:

Last edited:

abhaxus

Nov 18, 2010
I was all excited about dual core phones till my roomie got an atrix. Android just isn't ready for it yet. Aside from benchmarks you can't really feel a difference.

Unless I see a massive change before my upgrade (in November), I'll hold out until the new phones are announced at CES and the other shows in the early spring. I'm hoping for a phone that is better than qHD (a la retina display).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No, I've heard the 3D is pretty much rubbish. I'm sold on the Within which'll be released in about a month's time. A far superior phone imho.
    This is the epic forum the evo 3D forum is ------>

We have enough spam from trolls, we don't need to hear what phone that isn't a epic your thinking about TBH.
    Honestly I have been tempted to look at the 3D as the Nexus is having some reception issues. However, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm even within my fist 30 days and I think I'll stay. The Epic and Nexus don't nearly get the credit they deserve.

Also I have been reading about issues already with the light leak like the origina evo had and lots of dead pixels not to mention battery life is a bit rough to say the least.The within is going to spank the 3D into submission when it's released later this summer or early fall.

I love my Nexus and I honestly miss the Epic at times as well.

Also this theard is welcomed here as far as I'm concerned. I think it's much better then the crap that has been going on here lately.....IMHO

Very nice write up shabby :)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA Premium App
    Its that because dual cores aren't really taken advantage of yet?

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

Its because every dual core implementation short of the Exynos/Mali SoC Samsung is using uses a GPU that is either old or underpowered.

LOLOLOLOL. Reminds me of my 528mhz Touch Pro Windows Mobile phone. This is why I am done with HTC. They have ALWAYS been plagued with all sorts of issues with hardware acceleration. If its not lists scrolling ridiculously slow, its absolutely no media formats being supported.