[HOWTO] How to Perm-Root/S-off Your HTC Evo 3D AND FLASH TWRP *NOW ROOT WORKING*

Search This thread

vWvSTATICvWv

Jun 15, 2010
NYC
Just wanted to say thanks to Clark for the write up and all involved in making this happen. It's a good feeling to have control of your phone again. :D

Can't wait to see what you cook up, Clark. You did a bang up job with the Kingdom ports. Thanks again :)

GadgetMonger

Apr 9, 2010
Cheyenne Wyoming
After S-Off, installing the Recovery and then nand, I rebooted.
The phone went into hands free activation process, even though it is activated. I let it go, updated the PRL with success then the phone went to check for firmware update, I skipped this part.
GMail prompt me with my email and asked for the password even though it was prior s-off. I put my password and was good to go.
I download the SU and the Eng Boot loader and put them on sd card.
I rebooted into fastboot and installed the Eng Bootloader then into reovery and installed the SU.
rebooted and finally I got everything working, even Titanium Backup, it did tell me I have to go Setting/ Applications/ Development and check USB Debugging. But later I was able to back and restore as usual.
Kinda wired, the phone acted like a brand new phone after s-off, but got everything working.

Better try to make a call. You may be redirected to a sprint rep who will have to reactivate it for you...

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston
Yep, worked for me too! Took 5 mins with a rep and all is good. This should be in the OP, cuz Im sure its gonna take a while for everyone to notice their phone isnt receiving calls!!

I even tried factory reset and phone reset ##72786# and no luck.

I'm back online with Voice after a call to sprint.

The lady said we tripped a security check.

Boy, they must have really had to go deep with this exploit.

chef2

May 9, 2011
if i skip the twrp is cwm working now? i see some ppl not getting it to work and some having no prob...what is the verdict.

tyvm

mcampos7

Jan 29, 2009
The OC
AndroidSDK file is located directly in C: AndroidSDK, and for the first time I can not navigate to it... I know this **** is simple wtf am I missing here? CD\ C:\AndroidSDK\tools.. am I just too excited and having a brain fart or what? Christ it's drivin me crazy. Please help

mikebgb12

Jul 13, 2010
ZIP

any way to have this file put in as a .img file like our evo 4g and let it update in recovery?

thx

mike

reverepats

Dec 22, 2010
Boston,MA
i tried to no avail, ill try to wipe cache and reflash

Hey guys someone just posted a thread here in the dev section about getting TB and such to work....the fixed zip I got is in the temp-root thread that he posted....I'd check it out cause it seems to be working for some.....

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App

Vdubtx

Jul 24, 2010
Tried to use Revolutionary and had the cmd window hung at blinking cursor saying Acquiring Root (method 3), going on 10 minutes now. How long should it take?

The OP is wrong or it wouldn't work for me until I did this. Download the Android SDK from here.
Unzip it to root of C: drive. Download the Fastboot.exe from here and save it to the C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools folder. Download the TeamWin Recovery from here and place in same folder. Bring up a CMD window and type: C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools then hit Enter. Then type:
fastboot flash recovery C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\recovery-twrp-shooter-1.0.0.img then hit Enter. If the fastboot.exe and recovery aren't in the same folder as ADB you will get errors or at least I did.

Reactions: Febby

Westfire

Nov 6, 2008
Kansas City
Hey guys someone just posted a thread here in the dev section about getting TB and such to work....the fixed zip I got is in the temp-root thread that he posted....I'd check it out cause it seems to be working for some.....

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App

I tried reflashing the fixed SU zip from an hour ago and TB still doesn't work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys Just wanted to give a quick TUT to the Noobs...

THIS IS THE BETA VERSION I DID NOT CREATE IT ALL CREDIT GOES TO TEAM Revolutionary...
    I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENES TO YOUR PHONE...

1.)Go to http://revolutionary.io/ select your operating system...
    2.) once downloaded apply for a beta key (this is needed!!)
    3.) Boot into you phone like normal and go to Settings>Applications>Development>And check USB Debugging...Make sure your phone is on charge only.
    4.) Extract the downloaded ZIP to a folder (DONT RUN IT FROM THE ZIP) and run the file "revolutionary"
    5.) It will ask you for a beta key (you should he gotten from the site) enter it and hit enter.
    6.) It will get you S-Off and root.

OPTIONAL FLASH TWRP

1.) Download TWRP from their thread.
    2.) Plug in you phone to your pc and make sure you have fastboot drivers and your phone is in fastboot mode
    2* to put your phone is fastboot mode remove the battery>put it in and hold down volume down and powerbutton>once in bootloader use the volume rockers to go to fastboot> hit the power button...done!
    3.) Once you have your usb plugged in and the .img downloaded open CMD
    4.) Navigate to your sdk/tools path not your platform-tools/ (since thats where fastboot is)
    5.) (make sure the recovery-twrp-shooter-1.0.0.img is in the sdk/tools/ folder) Type in
    Code:
    fastboot flash_image recovery recovery-twrp-shooter-1.0.0.img

Your command should look like this

Code:
    C:\sdk\tools>fastboot flash recovery C:\Users\abe\Desktop\recovery-twrp-shooter-1.0.0.img
    just change
    Code:
     C:\Users\abe\Desktop\recovery-twrp-shooter-
    1.0.0.img

(drag and drop the file into the cmd window to choose its position and walllah!!)

Rooting Proccess...

1.) Download this file http://goo-inside.me/superuser/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip
    2.) Put the downloaded file on your sdcard
    3.) Boot to TWRP
    4.) Hit install a .ZIP
    5.) Choose the file and BOOM you got root :)
    Hits thanks if that helped!! PCE GUYS IM GOING TO COOK UP SOME ROMS

If you get error while flashing use this file

HELPFUL LINKS!

Link to Twrps Thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1192077
    Link to fastboot drivers
    Link to Unrevoked TUT and FAQ: http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/revolutionary (use that if this fails (which it hasn't for most))
    Link to setup ADB: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=502010

Drivers http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe

REMEMBER TO RUN A NANDROID RIGHT AWAY

FAQ:

Q.I am stuck at root method 3
    A. Uninstall HTC sync

Q.I get this error while flashing SU
    Code:
    Creating SYSTEM:/xbin/su symbolic  link...
    E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
    (Status 0)
    A.just reflash it and the error will go away on its own
    If your phone wont turn on you probably dont have your fastboot drivers installed. Do that first

AS for amon RA recovery that hasent been built for the shooter yet. If you want cmw just keep running the revolutionary application and it will ask if you want it to flash CMW
    When I did that it just came up with a list of commands

you paste that command and drag the file into the cmd window so it tells cmd where the file is
    Hey thanks worked perfectly with me, and I was even able to install clockworkmod. I made a little video for people who like to see visually how to root their device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smp6cT4UEKE
    What is required for me to flash twrp? I know I have to use command prompt but is sdk a part of adb? where can i download it? I know these are noob questions...

download the sdk from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html