[ROM][2.3.7] Gingerbread "AOSP" 2.3.7 (Alpha3 - 02/05/2012)

Search This thread

coolfire92

Apr 6, 2011

Ans
Good question. I probably haven't explained it well enough, but yes MTD is needed. If we ever want to get off of Samsungs kernel we need to ditch STL and we need to get rid of it now. It's slow, inefficient and it's proprietary (which I normally have no problem with being an avid Windows user), however in this case it being proprietary is a pain. We have no source code for it which means the kernel modules can't be recompiled for a later kernel version, which in turn means we can't use a newer kernel.

MTD is far more efficient than STL, and I don't say that because I'm like 'herp derp anything that is mainline in Linux is the best', I say that because it really is. STL works in five horrible layers for interfacing with the hardware: Data -> STL (proprietary) -> BML (proprietary) -> TFSR (open-source) -> OneNAND, whereas MTD only uses three layers: Data -> MTD -> OneNAND.

By cutting out all these other unnecessary drivers (TFSR and BML), we theoretically could get faster IO speeds on our phone. The OneNAND is an excellent NAND technology, it's just held back by Samsung being morons and not making a single driver. If it was just TFSR that we used or just STL and they could handle everything by themselves, then I wouldn't be complaining, but they had to add two more pointless layers to handle bad sectors and it ruins the whole system.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using xda app-developers app

balamu96m

May 2, 2011
Chennai
One more qn:

When i try to make changes to the update.zip that marcel provided, for fonts,boot anim etc, my phone doesn't boot, even if I don't make changes to the updater script........

Things i tried :

Formatted system before flashing the modded.....

Cleared data etc......

Still no luck......

sad96

Jan 13, 2012
Saint-Petersburg
One more qn:

When i try to make changes to the update.zip that marcel provided, for fonts,boot anim etc, my phone doesn't boot, even if I don't make changes to the updater script........

Things i tried :

Formatted system before flashing the modded.....

Cleared data etc......

Still no luck......
Use rom cooker from our forum for this

Arjav23

Mar 21, 2012
Mumbai
Someone still working on this?
Could someone get the things like camcorder and all working like in cm

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk 2

Arjav23

Mar 21, 2012
Mumbai
Getting init.d working on AOSP
(sorry for the long procedure)

as i said, u wanted to add init.d support, here it is------>

refer here

ELSE REFER TO THIS----->>>>

Get aosp GB CWM rom

extract it

in System, make a new folder called-- init.d

extract this into init.d folder

Select system, Meta-inf and zimage folder and in 7-zip, select "add to archive" and choose "zip " and name it

flash AOSP odin version

in cwm prior to startup, flash the above aosp cwm version

again b4 startup, flash this via cwm

wipe data....... etc

after startup, install this.

open the app just installed.

Select activate.Wait a bit thereafter

Select verify to verify whether u hav init.d support or nt.

Reactions: G3cooldude

Shadowcareful

Mar 8, 2013
Thx for your work hopefully marcellusbe go on with his work on this rom because i like aosp more than cm

Top Liked Posts