[Q] The Fascination with CyanogenMod

Search This thread

donluz

Jan 26, 2012
Hello. I have a Verizon Samsung Fascinate (i500) and yearn for a solution which gives the best of both worlds, that of VZ and mods.

I finally took the leap from Verizon stock and tried an alternate ROM/kernel. As my first choice, I elected to go with CM7. At first, I was astounded! I was tickled pink and could not have been happier I made the change. I still feel that way, at least mostly.

Where I am stuck is that for some reason, the in-call volume and speakerphone are ongoing issues. I know they've been mentioned prior, but I'm at a loss as to why they must exist. If I flash back to stock, these two issues go away. The speakerphone works perfectly as does the in-call volume. However, the battery life sucks, there's all the bloat, and my non-OEM battery won't charge in phone and I receive annoying notifications about it. The screen also won't turn itself off. Per these issues on stock, I feel stock is not a real option.

But the second I change ROM/kernels to CM7, PoolParty, KANG CM7, MIUI, Glitch, etc. these two issues come right back. It seems for all the things I've gained, I have to give up these key items.

Now I see the world advancing to CM9. I wonder... 1) will CM9 support my phone, and 2) if so, will it address and correct these problems? What I dislike about seeing CM9 coming along is that I feel CM7 was left with key issues. After all, while "smart", the device is a PHONE and I think these two things are directly related to the first and foremost purpose - making/receiving calls. Microsoft has this habit... relasing a new OS while the prior one continues to fall short of perfection.

Can anyone out there shed light on these issues and what resolve I might have with this phone?

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
speakerphone is still a issue but glitch v13.1 has the in-call audio fixed...CM9 is already available for our devices. Look up the ICS 4.0.3 mtd roms, they are basically variants of cm9.

Reactions: donluz

donluz

Jan 26, 2012
I tried Glitch 13.1, but didn't notice (or realize) the in-call issue was fixed. Will try again.

But... cm9 for the Samsung Fascinate? 1) does it fix the speakerphone issue? and 2) if so, got a link for the fascinate because I am only finding i9000 and others (I have the SCH-i500).

UPDATE - I FOUND A LINK OR TWO. From what I can tell, ICS 4 for the Fascinate is a bit premature at this point, at least for me. I see no reason to flash a ROM which cannot "receive calls". That would really take down the use of my phone. Thanks for the info and I will keep an eye on and fingers crossed for this build over the next month or two.

Last edited:

droidstyle

May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
I tried Glitch 13.1, but didn't notice (or realize) the in-call issue was fixed. Will try again.

But... cm9 for the Samsung Fascinate? 1) does it fix the speakerphone issue? and 2) if so, got a link for the fascinate because I am only finding i9000 and others (I have the SCH-i500).

UPDATE - I FOUND A LINK OR TWO. From what I can tell, ICS 4 for the Fascinate is a bit premature at this point, at least for me. I see no reason to flash a ROM which cannot "receive calls". That would really take down the use of my phone. Thanks for the info and I will keep an eye on and fingers crossed for this build over the next month or two.

Teamhacksung ICS build 6 has everything working...AOKP ICS and Gummy ICS have everything working but mms. You can find Teamhacksung at rootzwiki and the other 2 roms are in the dev section(or you can look my guide up, its a couple threads down from this...refer to section4). All of them still have issues with call audio being on blast off everytime you answer and I believe there still is a echo with the speakerphone...since these are mtd based roms just like cm7 some of the issues carried over... until source is released they wont be fixed.

elarson006

Oct 5, 2010
there are 3 "close to fully working" ICS roms in the dev section now.. i'm running gummyfassy with no issues

neh4pres

Nov 22, 2010
I will point you another route. You say you want your phone to work perfectly. Like stock does.. And want awesome battery life.. And the ability to charge non OEM battery.. And some customizations..

The only roms that will do all the above are custom Touchwiz roms. With custom voodoo kernel of course.

hint: look for ROM and kernel posts with eh03 in them. That is the most recent Touchwiz release for the fascinate. And don't flash touchwiz from a Mtd ROM. Odin to stock first.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda premium

Last edited:

droidstyle

May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
Custom touchwiz roms have there own issues aswell...random reboots is one and lag is another. Not that its a huge issue...i dont think there is one current rom out there that has some minor bug. The only rom i considered perfect was powerwashed ed05 froyo w/ pbj kernel. Everything flat out worked and had great battery life. Just was not as snappy as gingerbread but definately more reliable.

mod143

Apr 18, 2010
Im running Superclean 3 Milestone 1 or 2 i cant remember, with the kgb kernel, and universal adrenaline shot 12. my phone is as snappy and smooth as a mtd rom, and i have no issues. everything works, no lag, no reboots. everybody's phone responds differently to roms/kernels. i guess my phone likes this combo.

donluz

Jan 26, 2012
gummyfassy? what about the speakerphone? and how is battery life?

Last edited:

mod143

Apr 18, 2010
Never really use speakerphone so I dunno. The kgb kernel has an app that u can boost call levels if thats what ur concerned about

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

mod143

Apr 18, 2010
after reading your OP more thoroughly, the problem you are having is you are going from touchwiz to aosp. theres always going to be things that dont work right with aosp. you're skipping over the modified touchwiz roms and jumping right to aosp. if you want the best of both worlds, try superclean or tsm ressurection.

Dj-Dubster_TN

Apr 14, 2011
If you really want a rock solid rom with good performance and battery life go with superclean by nitsuj17 it has no comparison

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

donluz

Jan 26, 2012
speakerphone is actually pretty important to me. I used it mostly while driving, or at least used to when it was working with stock. now that I've gone away from stock (since I've found that Verizon does NOT actually rule the world), this issue has been a slight quest to resolve.

lpt2569

Nov 22, 2011
If you really want a rock solid rom with good performance and battery life go with superclean by nitsuj17 it has no comparison

Mtd speakerphone is crap

Touchwiz speakerphone is same as stock..

speakerphone is actually pretty important to me. I used it mostly while driving, or at least used to when it was working with stock. now that I've gone away from stock (since I've found that Verizon does NOT actually rule the world), this issue has been a slight quest to resolve.

@donluz - Superclean is perfect for you. It ran flawlessly for me, but I decided to try one of the ICS ROMS, which I love. But I too like to use speakerphone while driving, so back to Superclean for me...I think. I can't decide, this ICS is sweet.

donluz

Jan 26, 2012
Thank you all so much for your invaluable input! It has been quite helpful and did indeed address my questions.

I will keep fingers crossed that the MTD ROMs eventually fix the speakerphone. My main goal for modding was to rid the device of VZ crap and be able to use non-OEM batteries.

Sounds like Superclean is on my horizon. I may even try a custom kernel with it, who knows! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    speakerphone is still a issue but glitch v13.1 has the in-call audio fixed...CM9 is already available for our devices. Look up the ICS 4.0.3 mtd roms, they are basically variants of cm9.

Teamhacksung ICS build 6 has everything working...AOKP ICS and Gummy ICS have everything working but mms. You can find Teamhacksung at rootzwiki and the other 2 roms are in the dev section(or you can look my guide up, its a couple threads down from this...refer to section4). All of them still have issues with call audio being on blast off everytime you answer and I believe there still is a echo with the speakerphone...since these are mtd based roms just like cm7 some of the issues carried over... until source is released they wont be fixed.
    after reading your OP more thoroughly, the problem you are having is you are going from touchwiz to aosp. theres always going to be things that dont work right with aosp. you're skipping over the modified touchwiz roms and jumping right to aosp. if you want the best of both worlds, try superclean or tsm ressurection.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
    gummyfassy? what about the speakerphone? and how is battery life?

Mtd speakerphone is crap

Touchwiz speakerphone is same as stock..

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda premium