[Q] faulty screen? lots of green dots and specs

Search This thread

jewelkobayashi

Oct 23, 2007
Hanoi, Vietnam
Something I noticed a few weeks ago...

When I have my screen brightness set on the higher end, I see these green dots.
With the power and screen both on, and when the display is trying to show black, I am finding these green dots and specs.

The size of these dots are tiny, probably a pixel or two at most. They are clustered mostly in the inner 50% of the centre of the screen.I have not counted them but we are talking about a few hundred.

At first I thought it was dust or something under the glass, but noticed that with the screen off, it cannot be seen, and when the screen is white background, it cannot be seen either.

It is more noticeable when watching videos. If you crank up the brightness during a scene at night, let's say, it is almost unbearable.

Does anybody else suffer this?

jewelkobayashi

Oct 23, 2007
Hanoi, Vietnam
I used the dead pixel app from Google play, where it flicks through many monotone color screens, one of them being black.

And as explained before, I see the green pixels on the pure black screen.

The strange thing is, the research I have done on dead pixels, hot pixels or stuck pixels tells me a different description to what i am seeing.

I see no problems at all during other color screens of the dead pixel test...only the black.

Do I have a uniquely malfunctioning unit, it are others or there?
If you have some spare time on your hands, could you try searching for dead pixel test in Google play and try it out?

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
No faulty pixels on mine. I think I've seen only one or two other similar reports.
But no matter if the pixels are dead, hot or stuck, it's hardware fault and I'm sure you can get your tablet replaced without a problem.

jewelkobayashi

Oct 23, 2007
Hanoi, Vietnam
How about showing us ? - Just take a photo after placing a small piece of paper next to the spots - so your camera gets something for focusing on correctly.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/752546pt4n6l2o5/DSC_0426.JPG
edit

This is the best I can do.
I used mx player, with max brightness.
When the brightness is set 3/4 of the way, it starts to become visible.

P.S. dumb question. How do people manage to paste pic direct in the posts?

Last edited:

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
https://www.dropbox.com/s/752546pt4n6l2o5/DSC_0426.JPG
edit

This is the best I can do.
I used mx player, with max brightness.
When the brightness is set 3/4 of the way, it starts to become visible.

P.S. dumb question. How do people manage to paste pic direct in the posts?

Your screen also looks a bit distorted from looking at that playback bar. Yeah, you should just go ahead and get your tablet replaced, no hassle.

And wrap your image link between a
tag. Or just use the image button in the reply editor.

Last edited:

Skogstoken

Apr 27, 2014
I noticed this problem too on my tablet but not to the same extent. Have you replaced yours?

jewelkobayashi

Oct 23, 2007
Hanoi, Vietnam
I noticed this problem too on my tablet but not to the same extent. Have you replaced yours?

Not yet, but I will. It has been a while since the original post, but I think it is getting worse. It has spread to a wider area. I contacted service center in Hong Kong and they told me that it should only take 3 hours to replace the lcd. So I will fly there nervy week and get it fixed.

Better to have it done while still under warranty..

I will report one done.

Skogstoken

Apr 27, 2014
Not yet, but I will. It has been a while since the original post, but I think it is getting worse. It has spread to a wider area. I contacted service center in Hong Kong and they told me that it should only take 3 hours to replace the lcd. So I will fly there nervy week and get it fixed.

Better to have it done while still under warranty..

I will report one done.

I sent mine in but they did nothing at the problem. They sent it back within two days claiming there is no problem and that they had updated firmware (which they could not have done since I did it before I sent it in lol...)

I called support again and they in return will call the repairshop asking what they actually did to my tablet. Most likely (if everything turns out ok) I will have to send it in again (which is still is annoying) and hopefully they will notice the problem this time.

jewelkobayashi

Oct 23, 2007
Hanoi, Vietnam
I sent mine in but they did nothing at the problem. They sent it back within two days claiming there is no problem and that they had updated firmware (which they could not have done since I did it before I sent it in lol...)

I called support again and they in return will call the repairshop asking what they actually did to my tablet. Most likely (if everything turns out ok) I will have to send it in again (which is still is annoying) and hopefully they will notice the problem this time.

Which County are you?

Not to defend Sony in any way, but it can be difficult to spot the problem when the screen brightness is anything below 50%.

I notice my problems in the following scenarios.

1) when I boot up the tablet, first the Sony logo. Here you can see it a bit because the background is black. But it gets a lot worse when moving into the next screen during 'Xperia'. Here the brightness is turned up, making it extremely noticeable.

2) when I am trying to watch a movie outside or in a bright place making my screen reflect, forcing me to turn the brightness up above 70% mark...

3) when I am using my tablet in pitch dark... Even in low brightness setting it can be noticed. Especially bad when the movie scene I am watching is for example night time and thus naturally contains a lot of black on the screen.

Anyway, thanks for your info. Before I submit my tablet, I will make sure the recipient sees and understand the problem and get that person to attach a note to describe it for the repair crew.

Judging by the lack of response to this thread, we seem to have encountered a rare problem.

Last edited:

Skogstoken

Apr 27, 2014
Which County are you?

Not to defend Sony in any way, but it can be difficult to spot the problem when the screen brightness is anything below 50%.

I notice my problems in the following scenarios.

1) when I boot up the tablet, first the Sony logo. Here you can see it a bit because the background is black. But it gets a lot worse when moving into the next screen during 'Xperia'. Here the brightness is turned up, making it extremely noticeable.

2) when I am trying to watch a movie outside or in a bright place making my screen reflect, forcing me to turn the brightness up above 70% mark...

3) when I am using my tablet in pitch dark... Even in low brightness setting it can be noticed. Especially bad when the movie scene I am watching is for example night time and thus naturally contains a lot of black on the screen.

Anyway, thanks for your info. Before I submit my tablet, I will make sure the recipient sees and understand the problem and get that person to attach a note to describe it for the repair crew.

Judging by the lack of response to this thread, we seem to have encountered a rare problem.

Im from Sweden.

Yeah well I thought I was pretty clear on my instructions regarding how to notice the problem but you might be right. Mine isnt visible much when in use (apart from dark background with 100% brightness) and in dark enviroments.

Right now Im waiting for Sony Xperia support to call me telling me what the next step is. They wanted me to take a picture of them problem however its good to get a good print (picture is easy but printing it is harder ;)).

I have seen another thread regarding this at Sony Talk forum but that might be you aswell? :)

/ Henrik

jewelkobayashi

Oct 23, 2007
Hanoi, Vietnam
Im from Sweden.

Yeah well I thought I was pretty clear on my instructions regarding how to notice the problem but you might be right. Mine isnt visible much when in use (apart from dark background with 100% brightness) and in dark enviroments.

Right now Im waiting for Sony Xperia support to call me telling me what the next step is. They wanted me to take a picture of them problem however its good to get a good print (picture is easy but printing it is harder ;)).

I have seen another thread regarding this at Sony Talk forum but that might be you aswell? :)

/ Henrik

UPDATE

I flew into HK last night and went straight to Xperia care centre this morning.
I did not need to mention anything, I showed him the green dots (he called them dead pixels) and took it in immediately.

Judging by his reaction (his English was not very good) it was not the first time he had seen this on the Z2 tablet, and seemed to ask no further.
I showed receipt from purchase, he gave me a form to sign, and I was told to come back in 4 hours.

I came back after 4 hours, and everything was perfect.

I wasn't sure at the time, but it involves replacing the whole front display unit. The LCD screen and outer glass seem to be one piece, because everything was changed.

just a pain that the screen protector was gone with the old screen, so I needed to go and buy new, and that they had to factory reset... one click root and Titanium backup will come in handy...

All in all, my first ever Sony repair experience was professional, efficient and stress free.

Skogstoken

Apr 27, 2014
UPDATE

I flew into HK last night and went straight to Xperia care centre this morning.
I did not need to mention anything, I showed him the green dots (he called them dead pixels) and took it in immediately.

Judging by his reaction (his English was not very good) it was not the first time he had seen this on the Z2 tablet, and seemed to ask no further.
I showed receipt from purchase, he gave me a form to sign, and I was told to come back in 4 hours.

I came back after 4 hours, and everything was perfect.

I wasn't sure at the time, but it involves replacing the whole front display unit. The LCD screen and outer glass seem to be one piece, because everything was changed.

just a pain that the screen protector was gone with the old screen, so I needed to go and buy new, and that they had to factory reset... one click root and Titanium backup will come in handy...

All in all, my first ever Sony repair experience was professional, efficient and stress free.

Glad to hear that everything turned out ok for you. I have sent mine back and it will soon be at the repair shop (i can track the package). Hopefully they will be able to spot the problem this time otherwise I will be mad.. ;(.

I will update the thread with the result!

superhyper

Dec 4, 2007
Let us know how it goes! I have the same issue, but being here in the United States it will be difficult to send it back to an HK service center....

rokrd1579

Dec 17, 2012
Acapulco
I have the same problem, im about to call xperia support cause, i need this fix this, i get my tablet to do my homeworks and projects, but mine is around all the lcd :( i hope they can replace mine :(

jewelkobayashi

Oct 23, 2007
Hanoi, Vietnam
Let us know how it goes! I have the same issue, but being here in the United States it will be difficult to send it back to an HK service center....
I just happened to have a business trip to Hk coming up so I didn't need to send it in, but when I initially discovered the problem and called Sony Hk, they told me that sending it by registered mail or FedEx was an option.
The Chap on the phone told me to start an email correspondence with support team, who would then provide me with step by step instruction on how to send my tablet in.
For me at the time it was not an option, only because the receipt/proof of purchase was left in my office along with the box in Hk...
Since my tablet was repaired in 3 hours or so, if things go smoothly you might get your tablet back within the week (although it sucks that you have to pay courier 2-way)

Skogstoken

Apr 27, 2014
Just wanted to say that the 2nd time I sent it for service they replaced the screen and now it looks ok!

I had to write a detailed description of the problem and I also added a printed picture which showed the dots, aswell as a link to an uploaded img. I guess that made them realize.

Lets hope it can stay like this now...

nemidoff

Dec 27, 2014
I just wanted to share about mine xperia z2 tablet.I had the same pixel problem, bought the tablet in abay Germany, got it to local service canter in Latvia. They got in touch with Sony and I got complete SWAP. For now it looks ok, I am usingthe new tablet for 2 weeks,lets see what will happen.:rolleyes:

Reactions: dpower-lv

martinbowden

Dec 4, 2008
screen

Took mine in today for screen and constant reboots got a text saying it would be completed within five days but not what they were going to do so fingers crossed

Martin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Faulty pixels, you can get it exchanged.
    I just wanted to share about mine xperia z2 tablet.I had the same pixel problem, bought the tablet in abay Germany, got it to local service canter in Latvia. They got in touch with Sony and I got complete SWAP. For now it looks ok, I am usingthe new tablet for 2 weeks,lets see what will happen.:rolleyes: