Disable scrolling cache & more!

Search This thread

razz1

Nov 3, 2011
chicago
I will slowly be adding more tweaks as I come across them so check back once in awhile.
Standard disclaimer: Use at your own risk!
Basically disabling the scrolling cache will reduce lagy and chunky scrolling. You won't notice a huge difference unless your scrolling through something your phone usually has a hard time with. Anyone that has Rom Toolbox would understand chunky scrolling on the first page of the app. So if you have the app, test it there. In general, icons will appear instantaneous and everything will run a bit smoother.
So here is what to do...
Use your favorite build.prop editor and add a new line.

persist.sys.scrollingcache
Set it's value to 3.
Reboot.

If you really want to make things extremely more responsive then adjust your vm.stat_interval. I do believe the default is 10. If someone could verify it before you change it let me know. Setting the value lower will increase the responsiveness of your phone a very good amount! Start at 8 and slowly work down. There is a chance you will become unstable so use caution. I can say I have set it to 1 (lowest setting) without a single issue.
Do not expect to increase your benchmark with this because it will actually drop a little. This is a perfect example of the whole benchmark debate. Your phone will be flying but quadrant won't show it.
Use the "SCOL" app to adjust vm.stat_interval and save your value. There is no need to reboot and the results of your changes are instantly applied.
Yes. It is most likely going to effect battery life.

48 65 6c 70 20 6d 65 21

Last edited:

mani1999

Dec 2, 2012
Hi everybody,
I have 2 questions:

1.Doesn't one have to do something in framework.jar to disable scrolling cache?;)

2. What do you mean by "set it's value to 4"?

razz1

Nov 3, 2011
chicago
Hi everybody,
I have 2 questions:

1.Doesn't one have to do something in framework.jar to disable scrolling cache?;)

Wow I thought this got buried deep in the archives to never be seen again! Anyways, at the time I wrote this it is my understanding that basically...
1=cache on always
2=cache on certain times
3=cache off certain times
4=cache off always
Not like I haven't been wrong in the past though.

mani1999

Dec 2, 2012
Wow I thought this got buried deep in the archives to never be seen again! Anyways, at the time I wrote this it is my understanding that basically...
1=cache on always
2=cache on certain times
4=cache off always

So if I want scrolling cache off, it looks like this, or?:

persist.sys.scrollingcache=4

Thanks for your fast reply:)

Amphibliam

Feb 28, 2011
Does disabling the scrolling cache also negatively affect battery life?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

WizeGuyDezignz

Jun 12, 2008
San Diego
My ROM Toolbox scrolling seems the same after applying this. Did I do it correctly?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362235238012.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362235238012.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,921

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt
sorry for coming to such an old post,
but isn't scrolling cache meant to improve scrolling performance as it builds what it has to show next in the cache?
i just wanna understand the technical side of things.
mainly because if enabling it reduces performance, why do manufacturers enable it?
cheers

Krishu

Feb 17, 2014
I will slowly be adding more tweaks as I come across them so check back once in awhile.
Basically disabling the scrolling cache will reduce lagy and chunky scrolling. You won't notice a huge difference unless your scrolling through something your phone usually has a hard time with. Anyone that has Rom Toolbox would understand chunky scrolling on the first page of the app. So if you have the app, test it there. In general, icons will appear instantaneous and everything will run a bit smoother.
So here is what to do...

Set it's value to 4.
Reboot.

If you really want to make things extremely more responsive then adjust your vm.stat_interval. I do believe the default is 10. If someone could verify it before you change it let me know. Setting the value lower will increase the responsiveness of your phone a very good amount! Start at 8 and slowly work down. There is a chance you will become unstable so use caution. I can say I have set it to 1 (lowest setting) without a single issue.
Do not expect to increase your benchmark with this because it will actually drop a little. This is a perfect example of the whole benchmark debate. Your phone will be flying but quadrant won't show it.
Use the "SCOL" app to adjust vm.stat_interval and save your value. There is no need to reboot and the results of your changes are instantly applied.

48 65 6c 70 20 6d 65 21

Can I know how to get the Rom Toolbox app?

dsbaciga

Aug 12, 2011
sorry for coming to such an old post,
but isn't scrolling cache meant to improve scrolling performance as it builds what it has to show next in the cache?
i just wanna understand the technical side of things.
mainly because if enabling it reduces performance, why do manufacturers enable it?
cheers

I had the same thought. If setting it to 3 is so much better, then why would anyone (companies included) want to set it to something else?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So here is what to do...

Set it's value to 3.
    Reboot.

48 65 6c 70 20 6d 65 21
    Hi everybody,
    I have 2 questions:

1=cache on always
    2=cache on certain times
    4=cache off always
    1=cache on always
    2=cache on certain times
    4=cache off always

So if I want scrolling cache off, it looks like this, or?:

persist.sys.scrollingcache=4

Thanks for your fast reply:)
    will this work on JB roms?
    Yup thats it