[Q] Bluetooth poor connexion with wireless heaphones/speakers

Search This thread

trent999

Nov 16, 2013
Odd. It almost looks like one of your antenna contacts is grounding against the vibrator motor. Wouldn't matter anyway, would it ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

pascalforget

Mar 10, 2014
Removing the battery/updating to fix the Bluetooth music problem?

Yeah, I it's very close but I made sure there was some space. Not sure what else to do other than request a replacement.

I emailed support@omate.com three times for a replacement. On Omate Facebook page, Omate replied:

Please go to System / About TrueSmart / Wireless Update and check if you have the latest version.
Then you may remove your battery if it freezes for too long but just wait at least 5min after reboot.

Will voiding the waterproof warranty really do something to solve the issue? (My firmware version is 20140115-1542. If it's not the latest, how do I force an update? ... By removing the battery?)

eozdalga

Oct 21, 2010
Mountain View
I emailed support@omate.com three times for a replacement. On Omate Facebook page, Omate replied:

Will voiding the waterproof warranty really do something to solve the issue? (My firmware version is 20140115-1542. If it's not the latest, how do I force an update? ... By removing the battery?)

If you look at the other threads, I believe taking the back off only voids the warranty against water damage not something like this. Also, since they instructed me to remove the back, it shouldn't be a problem to get a replacement. I think the real issue is getting them to respond! They have too many things going on but we shouldn't be ignored.

Reactions: pascalforget

pascalforget

Mar 10, 2014
Answer from Omate - "wait a few months for repair options"

After many messages to Omate (email and Facebook) about what seem to be a defective antenna, I got this answer via Facebook:

We will get back to you about repair possibilities as soon as we will have a service center in place in your country in the next few months.

I got a defective watch that I can't use for intended purpose (running with GPS and music) and I'll have to wait a few months for repair options??? I'm really not impressed here, I was expecting a replacement unit ASAP.

rhineymac

Jan 20, 2014
Considering they haven't shipped to all backers I wouldn't expect a replacement anytime soon. If they had spare watches sitting around for replacements, all backers would have there devices. Your looking at minimum six months

pascalforget

Mar 10, 2014
Considering they haven't shipped to all backers I wouldn't expect a replacement anytime soon. If they had spare watches sitting around for replacements, all backers would have there devices.

Not keeping a few watches for replacements/problems means letting those who have received their Omate TrueSmart with a defective unit. It is more frustrating than waiting for one! The more units Omate will send out, the more defective units will be sent out, and more unhappy backers will manifest themselves.

(Shipping some defective units is totally normal and understandable; not planning for it bad business.)

Your looking at minimum six months

And that might be optimistic. ;)

Reactions: rhineymac

rhineymac

Jan 20, 2014
Not keeping a few watches for replacements/problems means letting those who have received their Omate TrueSmart with a defective unit. It is more frustrating than waiting for one! The more units Omate will send out, the more defective units will be sent out, and more unhappy backers will manifest themselves.

(Shipping some defective units is totally normal and understandable; not planning for it bad business.)

And that might be optimistic. ;)

I cant help but agree with you. but it is what it is. neither you or i or anyone else on this forum can change this. I backed three units. the one on my wrist works flawless,with the exceptions of the software and BT hardware issues everyone is having. i havent tryed either of my other ts. hopefully they will be the same. they are oct dev numbered units

lordscipio

Dec 14, 2010
I too have serious BT issues. The Omate connects fine to BT speaker/headphones, but it starts to stutter/fast forward after a few minutes. I have to turn BT off and on for it to work again, only to have it do the same thing roughly 3min later. I originally thought this was due to the bad mediatek drivers and that everyone had bad BT issues. Is that not the case? Guess I'll open up the back and take a look as suggested in previous posts... really hoping this is a sw issue rather than a HW one...

Jan 30, 2014
I cant help but agree with you. but it is what it is. neither you or i or anyone else on this forum can change this. I backed three units. the one on my wrist works flawless,with the exceptions of the software and BT hardware issues everyone is having. i havent tryed either of my other ts. hopefully they will be the same. they are oct dev numbered units

Hi rhineymac-I found this thread because of one of your posts to me in another thread. I had a bad BT connection whenever I moved the watch around. After reading this thread I found out that my BT problem was indeed due to the device the truesmart was connected to. When connected to the Scosche Boombottle mini speaker, I had the problem, but when connected to Ultimate Ears UE Boom, the connection was flawless. Now I need to my BT headphones.

I came super close to messing with the antenna, but I am so happy I didn't! Thanks Rhineymac :good:

EDIT: I should mention that my phone connects to the Boombottle mini without a hitch. Only the truesmart has an issue with it. There must be some issue with the truesmart that it connects to certain devices just fine, yet has problems with others.

Last edited:

guns4america

Oct 8, 2006
The bluetooth just plain sucks on the Truesmart. I have to hold the watch within 6 inches of any device for it to work properly. Any further away than that, and it cuts in and out and there is a ton of static. Also, the only way wifi shows full signal is if I'm within a couple feet of my router. At about 6ft, I'm at only one bar.

BenjaminM

Mar 17, 2008
Hong Kong
Has anyone else experienced/reported the BT connection issue since LokiFish last message? Or everyone is just accepting their fate? Or maybe I just got unlucky with my TS (I received mine in July)?
I've contacted Omate about this and requested an RMA. I'm also based in Hong Kong so I might just pay them a visit at their Service Center.
Any advice from anyone on how to improve the BT connection is also welcome (appart from removing the back cover since I want to preserve the warranty). Thanks.

BenjaminM

Mar 17, 2008
Hong Kong
What sort of issues are you talking about?

Connection stability with BT headphones. Basically, any time the watch is more than 1 feet away from the heads phones, the music starts stuttering and eventually just disconnects. I've test other headphones and the symptoms are the same. Testing the same headphones with other phones works flawlessly.

BenjaminM

Mar 17, 2008
Hong Kong
That's a hardware issue. Your antenna is likely not connected right. How's your Wi-Fi?

Wi-Fi is working but average.
On the other hand, GPS only worked once. Even after factory reset, MTK engineer mode tweak and data on, I was never able to get another GPS lock, no even a satellite signal...
It could be an antenna connector displacement, but I'd like to avoid opening the case, void the warranty and found out the connectors are well in place and the problem lies in the antenna within the rubber band...
What would be your take on this? Would the connectors most likely be the origin of the problem?

kuronosan

Nov 10, 2008
Go about 5m from your wireless router and see how many bars you get. If the answer is less than two or none then your antenna is probably the issue.

The GPS and BT/Wi-Fi are in the same band.

BenjaminM

Mar 17, 2008
Hong Kong
Go about 5m from your wireless router and see how many bars you get. If the answer is less than two or none then your antenna is probably the issue.

The GPS and BT/Wi-Fi are in the same band.

You are right, as soon as I move few meters away from the router, I loose 1-2 bars and eventually get disconnected.

So we can probably assume this is an antenna issue. Could this be due a torned antenna wire in the band (although I was really careful on this aspect)? Or best case it could just be that it is disconnected?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lose antenna connector. Request a replacement.
    Just so folks will not get the wrong idea, on my stock 1/8/1900 TrueSmart with 20140120 firmware, the Bluetooth is excellent for music and phone both in my car or with BT headphones, and BT keyboard. It will also connect to the keyboard and another BT device at the same time. Range is excellent, 15 meters or more.

Lots of other Bluetooth issues, but these reports sound like antenna problems. Assembly on some TrueSmarts was very poorly done.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Hello. I received my Omate US Version, 8Gb a few days ago, stock version of the system (reinstalled after trying the excellent Lokifish Marz firmware).

The Bluetooth connexion seems very poor for music transmission with Bluetooth headsets or speakers; when I move to watch more than 10 centimeters (about 4 inches) away from the Omate interference starts (the music "stutters") and connection stops completely (disconnects) at about 20-30 centimeters. Can't listen to music consistently while moving my arm (... when I walk).

Could there be an hardware issue with the Bluetooth antenna?

I tried rebooting, turning Bluetooth on and off multiple times, even reinstalling the firmware (the issue was present with the Lokifish Marz firmware).

I'm trying to listen simple 128 kbps mp3 (non VBR). (I discovered the issue while listening 192 kbps vbr, I taught it was the problem...).

The only way I manage to have a smooth playback is by putting the Omate in the same pocket as the receptor of the Bluetooth headset, or with a Bluetooth emitter clipped to the watchband (I tried with three different Bluetooth headsets and also a Bluetooth speaker that works perfectly with my other phones.

Thanks for your advices and suggestions.

I've only tried to exercise with it once while using Bluetooth and the same thing happened (switched back to my iPod after 2 minutes). I am currently on stock and plan to go back to the newest patch. I will try on both stock and patch and see if it's still happening. I hope this is indeed not an issue of poor assembly.

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Lose antenna connector. Request a replacement.

Wow, okay just tested (both mp3 and movies stored on both internal and SD). When connect to Bluetooth, any movement causes stutter and pausing. When off bluetooth, no problems.

I've already removed the back cause went I flashed the ROM there were issues that require a battery pull and I installed an SD card. Not to mention, I emailed support over a week ago for another issue (now resolved) and no response.

Hope this can be fixed because this device is worthless if I can't run with it using Bluetooth!
    WiFi and BT antenna
    WiFi and BT are the same connector. Well at least they were in the FCC docs.

Just did some more testing and it seems its not exactly just movement. Whenever the TS is within 1 foot of the Bluetooth device it works much better. 1-2 feet away and it comes and goes with movement. More than 2 feet and no sound. Could this still be a loose antenna?