Drivers for USB tether

Search This thread

kadison

Sep 5, 2009
Tried USB tethering for the first time today and I was pleased with how quickly it set up and worked.

Now, I have HTC sync installed as this is my main PC, but does anyone know the set of driver files needed for Windows to pick up the Hero as a modem?

I'd like to pop them on the SD card to allow me to enable internet access on anyone's PC or laptop without installing full HTC sync.

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
If you've a default set up, the NDIS drivers can be found in c:\Program Files\HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files.

Regards,

Dave

kadison

Sep 5, 2009
Thanks but it only has the drivers there for Vista x64 (my OS), I really need drivers for XP and Vista x86 too

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
Odd - when I installed it here on W7 x86, I get both 32-bit and 64-bit driver directories. If you can, I suggest you install on a 32-bit installation to get the driver files.

Regards.

Dave

High_Flyer

Oct 31, 2007
Hello everyone,

This is one of my first post/reply here, so before anything thank you very much to all here for sharing such good infos.

I've tried to setup my Hero for use as USB Modem as well, but can not find the "HTC Remote NDIS Network Adapter" driver either. Reading on different forums it seems it used to be on the memory card shipped with the device, but I bought mine 4 days ago and the file isn't there now. HTC has probably changed policy regarding this. Can anyone point me to where I could download this file to install on my lapto using Vista.
Thank you very much.

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
You can download HTC sync direct from HTC's website. It contains all the necessary software and drivers, and is a later version than the one that shipped with the Hero (at least when mine was shipped anyway!).

Regards,

Dave

lawsofpower48

Oct 20, 2007
u got it to work with the default program in htc sync??? i thought it doesnt work..i tried and i got an error

lawsofpower48

Oct 20, 2007
do u happen to have sprint service? im getting a username/password issue...i know its not the wrong info because i can get online fine without tethering..... im reading at many other places that sprint doesnt have it working yet??

lawsofpower48

Oct 20, 2007
thanks dave..yea pdanet does work, i havnt yet tried it because its a trial version and u have to pay for it...i came from windows mobile where tethering was super easy to do and the apps were plentiful.... but it seems the android market doesnt have tethering ..... i rely on tethering alot for when im traveling, i thougth the android market wouldnt be a problem with tethering apps..but it seems im wrong

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
The GSM Hero support tethering out of the box - therefore the issue is not Android, but more likely a restriction your carrier has imposed!

First things first though - check to see if you have "Mobile Network Sharing" in Menu->Settings->Wireless Controls.

Regards,

Dave

lawsofpower48

Oct 20, 2007
yes, i have the mobile network sharing... i even install the drivers for tethering fine... im getting a error 67 saying that my usrname and password for my internet is not valid.... although i can go on my internet normally via my phone only...i cannot connect a usb to it from my laptop.... right after i connect it, the internet disconnects from the phone then i get an error.... you are right about sprint blocking it.... but theyve been blocking it since windows mobile...people got around it with a simple app which came with all the hacked roms.... it seems like an issue here with the sprint android.... but maybe its still new?

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
you are right about sprint blocking it.... but theyve been blocking it since windows mobile...people got around it with a simple app which came with all the hacked roms.... it seems like an issue here with the sprint android.... but maybe its still new?

Yes it is still very new. As with WinMo, you need a hacked ROM, but these aren't available yet for the Sprint Hero as it's only just been released. Once you've got a rooted ROM on your device, you should be able to use wireless wifi tether - the meantime, PDAnet is probably your best bet.

Regards,

Dave

lawsofpower48

Oct 20, 2007
Yes it is still very new. As with WinMo, you need a hacked ROM, but these aren't available yet for the Sprint Hero as it's only just been released. Once you've got a rooted ROM on your device, you should be able to use wireless wifi tether - the meantime, PDAnet is probably your best bet.

Regards,

Dave

yea hopefully it will be soon they come out with the roms.... need the tethering pretty bad ! i can wait and do without pdanet. lol. thanks alot !

Yogesh1969

Oct 2, 2012
Mumbai
oem.inf

I would like to share my solution. I modified the oem.inf file in the oem.zip(attached) ,by changing the manufacturer name and device id as given in the PC 's device manager(unknown device).
It should work for xp,seven,vista.

Attachments

• oem106.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 29