Hybrid Case Showdown! Supcase vs. Spigen vs. Rearth (video, pics, Q&A)

Search This thread

ZionExpress

Jun 9, 2011
New Hampshire
Made up a quick video review to compare 3 of the top hybrid cases for the Nexus 5. I had a real hard time finding just the right case for this phone and purchased a couple real duds before discovering I liked the hybrid style. (I tried another Ringke case and a chinese Cimo knockoff)

Video:

Heres the quick rundown on each case. (each case was $7-10 from Amazon)

Supcase Unicorn Beetle - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FN13QH0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pros:
Great construction. Fit and finish are very well done.
Frosted back hides scratches easily.
Feels "tougher" than the other two cases.

Cons:
No bumpers on the back to protect the case from scratches. A minor con since the frosted texture hides scratches very well.
Headphone opening is the smallest of the three.
Buttons are VERY firm. Didn't soften up after a week of use.
Frosted back distorts color of the Nexus back.

Spigen Ultra Hybrid - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJJ38HY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pros:
Very premium feel. Soft texture on the TPU sides, most pleasant to hold.
Bumpers on back lift case and protect it from scratches.
Comes with free screen protector.
Cool engraved buttons.
Buttons have good response and are fairly clicky.

Cons:
Easy to accidentally press buttons. Frequently hit the volume buttons while trying to push power.

Rearth Ringke Fusion - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EPLTFIS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pros:
VERY slightly slimmer than the other cases.
Same soft feel as the Spigen, just a hair inferior.
VERY clicky buttons, excellent response and no accidental presses.
Similar bumpers as the Spigen though not as pronounced. Still effective.
Hole for lanyard.

Cons:
Buttons are not fully sealed, possible entry for dust/dirt.
Overall finish is less than Spigen or Supcase.

I should note, there appears to be another decent hybrid case out there, the iBlason CandyGel Hybrid (http://www.amazon.com/i-Blason-Google-Nexus-CandyGel-Hybrid/dp/B00FOW4KNC/ref=sr_1_6?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1393007496&sr=1-6&keywords=iblason+nexus+5). I have not tested this case but if there is enough interest I will pick one up and do a quick review.

Please leave feedback and feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Last edited:

ZionExpress

Jun 9, 2011
New Hampshire
Pictures!

(higher res pictures attached)

Group shots:
WyhRQfo.jpg

3C2MkTA.jpg

X7ptBNi.jpg

24GZrgG.jpg

HSrmRSl.jpg

4oXofwg.jpg

WuZIqzZ.jpg

Spigen:
ib5aGjG.jpg

zBDNnly.jpg

ZxyImEH.jpg

hkctY7a.jpg

Rearth:
4SIEvQS.jpg

jElpYl6.jpg

PEGj3rk.jpg

AJVOt6f.jpg

DVFSDOy.jpg

Supcase:
G0o4Znz.jpg

zZUZ2oU.jpg

0WPI0wv.jpg

Cw9Qdfx.jpg

Last edited:

floepie

Feb 28, 2006
Amsterdam
Great pics and comparison! I was about to settle on the supcase, but I don't want to think about that back every time I set the phone down. I had discounted the other two because of their finicky buttons, but it appears that you may have received an updated Ringke case with its slits? Earlier, many complained about its overly stiff buttons with their lack of feedback, probably similar to the Supcase. Some had remedied this by making lengthwise slits with a precision knife with very good results. Looks like they're doing this at the factory now. And, just for your knowledge, in the Supcase thread, there are many who have made invisible slits in the button areas with improved results.

Sn00ky

May 28, 2013
Thanks for the comparison! Can you confirm if the gap behind the USB port of the spigen case is there? Dust and lint gets inside easily is that fixed in your case? Thanks? uploadfromtaptalk1392542937337.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ZionExpress

Jun 9, 2011
New Hampshire
Great pics and comparison! I was about to settle on the supcase, but I don't want to think about that back every time I set the phone down. I had discounted the other two because of their finicky buttons, but it appears that you may have received an updated Ringke case with its slits? Earlier, many complained about its overly stiff buttons with their lack of feedback, probably similar to the Supcase. Some had remedied this by making lengthwise slits with a precision knife with very good results. Looks like they're doing this at the factory now. And, just for your knowledge, in the Supcase thread, there are many who have made invisible slits in the button areas with improved results.

Thanks! I am VERY happy with the Ringke case. It must be the updated case since I have had ZERO problems with the buttons. It's nice to see the manufacturer incorporate the aftermarket "fix" and improve their product. If Supcase does the same thing then I might have to give them a second try. I wasn't too interested in modding my case since I already do a ton of fiddling with my phone as-is, this time I just wanted to buy something off the shelf that just works.

Reactions: Heeter

ZionExpress

Jun 9, 2011
New Hampshire
Thanks for the comparison! Can you confirm if the gap behind the USB port of the spigen case is there? Dust and lint gets inside easily is that fixed in your case? Thanks? View attachment 2582281

I did not notice a gap on my Spigen case though I may have just overlooked it. I left the case at work so I will have to get back to you on that. I'll upload pictures once I get a chance to check it out.

*UPDATE*
There is almost no gap on my Spigen case. My version of the case clearly has an extra bit of TPU moulding, making the gap maybe a little less than the thickness of a credit card. You can kind of see the the extra moulding on the group shot above (picture #4).
I'll also note that the Rearth case has almost NO gap by the power cutout. It's pretty flush with the back of the phone. I forgot my tablet at home today so pictures will have to come a bit later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sn00ky

Heeter

Feb 26, 2011
OnePlus 6T
Thanks for the great side by side comparison,

Just bought 2 Spigens Clears off Amazon because of the great comparison.

Thanks Again

Heeter

emaz1ng

i read a lot of reviews on amazon saying the ringke case scratched the phone in just a few days of use, stuff like corners getting worn out very quickly etc. what can you tell me about this? i was really looking for a customizable back type of case so ringke and spigen are really the only choices i have, since the supcase back isn't really all that clear.

floepie

Feb 28, 2006
Amsterdam
i read a lot of reviews on amazon saying the ringke case scratched the phone in just a few days of use, stuff like corners getting worn out very quickly etc. what can you tell me about this? i was really looking for a customizable back type of case so ringke and spigen are really the only choices i have, since the supcase back isn't really all that clear.

I thought that the reports of scratching applied to the hard slim cases, not the bumper hybrid ones.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Shanda1

Feb 13, 2014

Yup, don't use hard cases. Choose plastic or rubber cases .

floepie

Feb 28, 2006
Amsterdam
does this mean that if i want a customizable back case without damaging my phone's corners the answer is there's none? or is the spigen a lot safer?

?? You're confusing these hybrid cases with the hard case. This OP is comparing the hybrid cases, not the hard slim cases, which have been reported to scratch corners. The ringke hybrid is just soft tpu on the border.

emaz1ng

?? You're confusing these hybrid cases with the hard case. This OP is comparing the hybrid cases, not the hard slim cases, which have been reported to scratch corners. The ringke hybrid is just soft tpu on the border.

The rearth hybrid have been reported to scratch corners, take the coat off the phone etc, as you can see by a few amazon reviews. that's why i'm asking, not confused.

floepie

Feb 28, 2006
Amsterdam
The rearth hybrid have been reported to scratch corners, take the coat off the phone etc, as you can see by a few amazon reviews. that's why i'm asking, not confused.

Well, there are multiple threads over the Ringke hybrid case here, and I don't recall anyone ever complaining about scratched phones with the hybrid case. It's a soft rubber TPU material after all. It often happens I've noticed in Amazon reviews that some go back to review something but they don't enter under the correct product. I can imagine that's what happened.

I see the review you're referring to on Amazon about the corners. If you look carefully in small print, the review is indeed referring to the slim hard case, not the hybrid case. Amazon has bundled all the reviews for the hybrid and slim cases all together. You have to read the fine print where it says "slim black".

Last edited:

emaz1ng

Thanks for the answers. Yes, it didn't seem to be logic that 90% of the people had no complaints about scratches or whatever and others have loads of it, i just wanted to make sure. I think i'm going for the Spigen case anyway, as it looks more sturdy and the front has a bigger protection. Plus, bring a screen protector.

californicated

May 4, 2011
It's not only the hard cases. I have a tpu case that caused scuffs in only two weeks of use. And I promise there was no no dirt when I put the case on...

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

ZionExpress

Jun 9, 2011
New Hampshire
I can confirm that none of the cases reviewed seem capable of scratching the phone just by themselves. As with most cases, however, it is possible for small pieces of dirt and debris to get into the case and may cause small scratches or slight wear. I had my old GS2 in a SGP (Spigen) TPU case for two years and it ended up with some very light scuffing on the corners where dirt and dust would tend to collect. Even with taking out the phone and cleaning the case every week or so it still ended up that way after two years of constant use.

Are these cases better protection from scratches vs hard/slim cases? Undoubtably. Will they protect your phone 100% and keep it good as new after prolonged daily use? Of course not.
That being said, I don't think ANY case is capable of providing 100% protection in that sense.

By any chance does anyone know whether a QI charger still works correctly with the Spigen case?
All three cases worked fine with my Nokia DT-900 Qi Charger. I had no issues whatsoever.

thxs for the review!!!!...just placed an order for the Rearth....thxs to you....:good:
Glad the review helped you with your decision. The Rearth is a great case, I continue to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Made up a quick video review to compare 3 of the top hybrid cases for the Nexus 5. I had a real hard time finding just the right case for this phone and purchased a couple real duds before discovering I liked the hybrid style. (I tried another Ringke case and a chinese Cimo knockoff)

Video:

Heres the quick rundown on each case. (each case was $7-10 from Amazon)

Supcase Unicorn Beetle - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FN13QH0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Pros:
    Great construction. Fit and finish are very well done.
    Frosted back hides scratches easily.
    Feels "tougher" than the other two cases.

Cons:
    No bumpers on the back to protect the case from scratches. A minor con since the frosted texture hides scratches very well.
    Headphone opening is the smallest of the three.
    Buttons are VERY firm. Didn't soften up after a week of use.
    Frosted back distorts color of the Nexus back.

Spigen Ultra Hybrid - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJJ38HY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Pros:
    Very premium feel. Soft texture on the TPU sides, most pleasant to hold.
    Bumpers on back lift case and protect it from scratches.
    Comes with free screen protector.
    Cool engraved buttons.
    Buttons have good response and are fairly clicky.

Cons:
    Easy to accidentally press buttons. Frequently hit the volume buttons while trying to push power.

Rearth Ringke Fusion - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EPLTFIS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Pros:
    VERY slightly slimmer than the other cases.
    Same soft feel as the Spigen, just a hair inferior.
    VERY clicky buttons, excellent response and no accidental presses.
    Similar bumpers as the Spigen though not as pronounced. Still effective.
    Hole for lanyard.

Cons:
    Buttons are not fully sealed, possible entry for dust/dirt.
    Overall finish is less than Spigen or Supcase.

I should note, there appears to be another decent hybrid case out there, the iBlason CandyGel Hybrid (http://www.amazon.com/i-Blason-Google-Nexus-CandyGel-Hybrid/dp/B00FOW4KNC/ref=sr_1_6?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1393007496&sr=1-6&keywords=iblason+nexus+5). I have not tested this case but if there is enough interest I will pick one up and do a quick review.

Please leave feedback and feel free to ask any questions you may have!
    Pictures!

(higher res pictures attached)

Group shots:
    WyhRQfo.jpg

3C2MkTA.jpg

X7ptBNi.jpg

24GZrgG.jpg

HSrmRSl.jpg

4oXofwg.jpg

WuZIqzZ.jpg

Spigen:
    ib5aGjG.jpg

zBDNnly.jpg

ZxyImEH.jpg

hkctY7a.jpg

Rearth:
    4SIEvQS.jpg

jElpYl6.jpg

PEGj3rk.jpg

AJVOt6f.jpg

DVFSDOy.jpg

Supcase:
    G0o4Znz.jpg

zZUZ2oU.jpg

0WPI0wv.jpg

Cw9Qdfx.jpg

Thanks! I am VERY happy with the Ringke case. It must be the updated case since I have had ZERO problems with the buttons. It's nice to see the manufacturer incorporate the aftermarket "fix" and improve their product. If Supcase does the same thing then I might have to give them a second try. I wasn't too interested in modding my case since I already do a ton of fiddling with my phone as-is, this time I just wanted to buy something off the shelf that just works.
    Thanks for the comparison! Can you confirm if the gap behind the USB port of the spigen case is there? Dust and lint gets inside easily is that fixed in your case? Thanks? View attachment 2582281

I did not notice a gap on my Spigen case though I may have just overlooked it. I left the case at work so I will have to get back to you on that. I'll upload pictures once I get a chance to check it out.

*UPDATE*
    There is almost no gap on my Spigen case. My version of the case clearly has an extra bit of TPU moulding, making the gap maybe a little less than the thickness of a credit card. You can kind of see the the extra moulding on the group shot above (picture #4).
    I'll also note that the Rearth case has almost NO gap by the power cutout. It's pretty flush with the back of the phone. I forgot my tablet at home today so pictures will have to come a bit later.
    Hey guys, I just received my Ringke Fusion and before I put it on I would like to know if there is any chance that the case can scratch the corners of the Nexus because the Ringke slim fit does!

Thanks in advance.

Tapatalked with my Nexus5(aka the Hammerhead)

See my post on page 2. This case wont scratch the phone just by itself but it's still possible for dirt and things to work their way in. The Rinkge Slim is TERRIBLE with scratching the phone. The Fusion is MUCH gentler on the device.