[Q] Backup/Restore To New ROM

Search This thread

lexluthor

Feb 7, 2007
I'm not a big ROM tester and pretty much remain on stock. I do have root, custom recovery and unlocked bootloader on my GS3 (4.1.2 stock).

When you guys switch ROMs and a clean flash is required, what exactly are you all doing to backup and then restore your data?

Are you just backing up "all user apps" with Titanium and then immediately installing Titanium on the new ROM and restoring the backup?

What about system settings? You just run through those one at a time and set them to the way they were? What about custom contact ringtones and other customizations?

Sounds like a lot of work to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Is there a better way to do this?

lexluthor

Feb 7, 2007
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm really trying to figure out how you guys are ok with doing a full wipe so frequently.

ChiefIlliniwek5

Dec 21, 2011
I am by no means a "constant ROM'er", but I have tried it a few times on a few different devices. Here is generally what I do:

1. Back up apps and data with Titanium Backup. I usually back these up to a folder on my external SD card just to be safe. Even though a factory reset shouldn't erase your backups on your internal memory, I just like to be safe.

2. After flashing a custom ROM I install TB as the very first app. ***HINT: If you have your phone setup to automatically restore apps thru Google, apps will automatically begin to download and install. This can slow down the whole process of restoring your apps and data. To keep this from happening, you can either disable the automatic restore OR don't sign in to google when you first set up the phone (that way google won't know which apps to begin to restore).

3. Run TB's restore apps & data BUT RESTORE SYSTEM APPS/DATA AT YOUR OWN RISK. In most cases from my own experiences and others, system apps and data do NOT restore well after flashing a new ROM.

Again, I am no expert and I simply follow the guides and advice of those much smarter and more experienced than I on these forums. Something I said above could be wrong so please correct me if anyone sees a fallacy.

Reactions: lexluthor

lexluthor

Feb 7, 2007
I appreciate the reply. That's pretty much what I though. It's still a lot of work to tweak all the system settings back to the way they were. Ringtones, custom contact ringtones, various system settings, etc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am by no means a "constant ROM'er", but I have tried it a few times on a few different devices. Here is generally what I do:

1. Back up apps and data with Titanium Backup. I usually back these up to a folder on my external SD card just to be safe. Even though a factory reset shouldn't erase your backups on your internal memory, I just like to be safe.

2. After flashing a custom ROM I install TB as the very first app. ***HINT: If you have your phone setup to automatically restore apps thru Google, apps will automatically begin to download and install. This can slow down the whole process of restoring your apps and data. To keep this from happening, you can either disable the automatic restore OR don't sign in to google when you first set up the phone (that way google won't know which apps to begin to restore).

3. Run TB's restore apps & data BUT RESTORE SYSTEM APPS/DATA AT YOUR OWN RISK. In most cases from my own experiences and others, system apps and data do NOT restore well after flashing a new ROM.

Again, I am no expert and I simply follow the guides and advice of those much smarter and more experienced than I on these forums. Something I said above could be wrong so please correct me if anyone sees a fallacy.